Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

In search of a pair or a single Carl Goldberg postage backplate mount Cox_ba12

In search of a pair or a single Carl Goldberg postage backplate mount Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» audio-tach anyone?
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Yesterday at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:43 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Yesterday at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Sat May 18, 2024 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

In search of a pair or a single Carl Goldberg postage backplate mount Empty
Live on Patrol

In search of a pair or a single Carl Goldberg postage backplate mount

Go down

Wanted In search of a pair or a single Carl Goldberg postage backplate mount

Post  Ken Cook Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:32 pm

I'm building the Brodak F-82 twin. It's almost complete. This is the early die crushed version with the radial Bee mount. I kept telling myself to do away with them and cut new fuselage's to make beam mounting. There were just so many wrongs with this kit I just got disgusted and built what was in the box. That being said, I didn't want to use integral tanked bee's. I figured by using Sure Starts, I would get the luxury of longer duration and it would pull the CG aft improving turning. To get it into the air, I figured on using two very new Silver Bee engines I have had sitting. The Goldberg mounts when used on the postage stamp backplate is the same bolting pattern to a integral tanked bee. I have I pair of mounts and one half of a pair. If someone has a pair or a single half, I would love to buy it. Thanks, Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Wanted Re: In search of a pair or a single Carl Goldberg postage backplate mount

Post  944_Jim Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:45 pm

Hi Ken,

I have one mount you seek! It was new in the package a year ago, but the balloon and fuel line were rotten. It is no longer in the bag...

I'm sure we can come up with an equitable trade.

PM if you want it...I'm in Mississippi.

(Hint: I'm looking for copies of the Top Flite plans and tracings for their profile war birds...like the Hurricane that was super-imposed the Mustang fuse on top of over at Stunt Hanger. I think that's where I saw it).
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Wanted Re: In search of a pair or a single Carl Goldberg postage backplate mount

Post  944_Jim Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:14 pm

PPS: Digital copies are just fine...as long as the patterns/templates have a scale of some type. I usually scan with 5 each 1" tick marks on each scan, and list critical dimensions like a given park length/width.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:10 pm

Jim, I'm very interested in the mount. I will send a pm. This week and next, I'm on some pretty crazy hours. I usually visit this site at 4 am and 4 pm. I have a Top Flite Mustang and it's grossly underrated. It's a great flying plane capable of the AMA pattern. I think it was the best commercially available plane of the 70's for 1/2A. If memory serves me correctly I think the wing on the plan is full size. I have the plans but I have to find them.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:44 pm

Take your time. I'm so far behind on kits, it's not like I'll build now. Include your PhysAddress so I can send the mount.
Thanks,
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:30 am

Shoot me PhyAddress so I can put this in the mail.

In search of a pair or a single Carl Goldberg postage backplate mount Img_2010
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:41 am

I’m somewhat confused. Is that picture of a whole mount or a half mount?

Quoting Kens request: “The Goldberg mounts when used on the postage stamp backplate is the same bolting pattern to a integral tanked bee. I have I pair of mounts and one half of a pair. If someone has a pair or a single half, I would love to buy it. Thanks, Ken”

Last edited by Marleysky on Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : 1 pair vs 1/2 pair?)
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:50 pm

Marleysky wrote:I’m somewhat confused. Is that picture of a whole mount or a half mount?

Quoting Kens request: “The Goldberg mounts when used on the postage stamp backplate is the same bolting pattern to a integral tanked bee. I have I pair of mounts and one half of a pair. If someone has a pair or a single half, I would love to buy it. Thanks, Ken”

The photo is the complete EB-1 mount. One unbolts the postage stamp back from the crankcase and temporarily removes the needle valve and spring. Then threads the bolts through the mount holes. The postage stamp back is reoriented so that the spray bar now goes horizontal. If one wants to maintain an upright cylinder position with new spray bar orientation, they rotate the cylinder before fastening and tightening the screws.

The mount's firewall mounting holes match up with the .049 tank hole position, so one can reuse the holes without redrilling for another.

In search of a pair or a single Carl Goldberg postage backplate mount Cox_0411
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:29 pm

To avoid confusion, I think it was offered one piece and then in halves. I have 3 halves in search of another. Jim stepped up and I have to contact him. He mentioned the balloon and tubes in the package which is how Goldberg sold those particular mounts.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:51 pm

Interesting, that I didn't know, Ken. In a way it would make sense to manufacture as 2 pieces. You only need one mold and double the quantities. Not sure when I acquired mine, may have been the late 1960's early 1970's, as I had 2 Cox donor engines with the red Delrin plastic postage stamp backs.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:13 pm

Here you go guys. I never nee just how much thought CG put into the design.
I was surprised by the fact that the mount and postage stamp back plate actually mounts where a Babe Bee would. Not only that, but it spaces the cylinder and block the same distance from your firewall!
ISTR a post about someone DIYing a set from aluminum or tin. His was in two parts. The post even had dimensions for the set...two pieces per engine. I think it was on RCUniverse. In search of a pair or a single Carl Goldberg postage backplate mount Img_2012
 In search of a pair or a single Carl Goldberg postage backplate mount Img_2013
 In search of a pair or a single Carl Goldberg postage backplate mount Img_2011
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:16 pm

Roddie had made some mounts from aluminum on here. The problem with the aluminum especially 6061 is that it work hardens to the point of cracking on the radius. If it doesn't crack it will crack after running it. 5052 aluminum will offer a tight radius without cracking. It should also be strong enough to do the job required.  If you had a Z extrusion it would work. Otherwise you have to limit the radius which is quite difficult to do in such a small area to work with.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:48 pm

Sometime back in the late 1960's or early 1970's, I recall reading in a modeling magazine on how to manufacture your own DIY engine mounts for the postage stamp engines. The article also had plans for a profile fuselage single landing gear balsa build. It was a little different than the proto speed one, but was simple enough that I templated it.

I used the sheet metal in a Polaroid instant film cartridge. Back then they used more metal in them than later. The sheet steel was thin, easy to cut with tin snips. In contrast to Roddie's, the ends were bent so it could be mounted directly to the front face of the firewall.

I installed the engine on a profile fuselage with sheet wing F4F Wildcat of my own design. I probably got a photo of it somewhere stored in one of the boxes in the garage.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:05 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:Sometime back in the late 1960's or early 1970's, I recall reading in a modeling magazine on how to manufacture your own DIY engine mounts for the postage stamp engines. The article also had plans for a profile fuselage single landing gear balsa build. It was a little different than the proto speed one, but was simple enough that I templated it.

I used the sheet metal in a Polaroid instant film cartridge. Back then they used more metal in them than later. The sheet steel was thin, easy to cut with tin snips. In contrast to Roddie's, the ends were bent so it could be mounted directly to the front face of the firewall.

I installed the engine on a profile fuselage with sheet wing F4F Wildcat of my own design. I probably got a photo of it somewhere stored in one of the boxes in the garage.

There was Dale Kirn's "290 Special" which used a 290 (postage stamp) engine and gave instructions on a sheet metal mount.
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t7914-dale-kirn-s-290-special?highlight=290+special
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:06 am

Thanks, I've seen that, good article. However, somehow I recall of another that was at least 2 to 4 years after, same principle of engine mounting but had a single wheel landing gear and a slightly different mounting where mount ends were not fared to mate with the fuselage but bent to mount with a flat firewall. It spoke of using Carl Goldberg's Lil Wizard fail safe mechanism.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down