Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

NEW well new to me COX BAJA BUG  and dune buggy Cox_ba12

NEW well new to me COX BAJA BUG  and dune buggy Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Today at 8:05 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by MauricioB Today at 7:39 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:52 am

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Yesterday at 7:42 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:09 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 5:13 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 2:51 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 2:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Yesterday at 2:03 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Yesterday at 2:01 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

NEW well new to me COX BAJA BUG  and dune buggy Empty
Live on Patrol

NEW well new to me COX BAJA BUG and dune buggy

Go down

NEW well new to me COX BAJA BUG  and dune buggy Empty NEW well new to me COX BAJA BUG and dune buggy

Post  mainmothman52 Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:37 pm

Hi all, I just wanted to say hello as I am new here, when I was ten I got a cox baja bug for my birthday, I have great memories of me and my dad running it in the evenings if he wasn't too tired. my dad died in 2016 and I miss him so much, so for a wedding present my new wife bought me a NOS COX BAJA BUG in the box. It really brings back memories, she even found me a cox dune buggy to match, I display them proudly with my savages kyoshos and everything else, man the memories of running my cox .049. so hi all !!!!
mainmothman52
mainmothman52
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

NEW well new to me COX BAJA BUG  and dune buggy Empty NEW well new to me COX BAJA BUG and dune buggy

Post  mainmothman52 Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:20 pm

Hey all, I forgot to say I found my prized bug on e-bay , man the prices the little vw bugs has commanded now in pristine condition,  $500.00 + shipping, but when my "BAJA BUG " finally arrived, it was still brand new, so was it worth it,   oh yes,   will I ever start it?   heck no!!   but the smiles it has brought me are worth a million dollars!!!   Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
mainmothman52
mainmothman52
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

NEW well new to me COX BAJA BUG  and dune buggy Empty Re: NEW well new to me COX BAJA BUG and dune buggy

Post  rsv1cox Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:45 am

Welcome to the forum from another West Virginian. Great to have you aboard.

My son and I ran the tires off a Baja Bug back in the 70's. Great fun but we trashed it back then when they were a dime a dozen. The body was used up but we saved the engine.

I replaced it a couple of years ago.

NEW well new to me COX BAJA BUG  and dune buggy Loft_010

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

NEW well new to me COX BAJA BUG  and dune buggy Empty Re: NEW well new to me COX BAJA BUG and dune buggy

Post  getback Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:07 am

Welcome to the Forum mainmothman52 Wink Way to go with the Cox Baja Bug !! When you can post us some pics of your goodies , A lot of wonderful people on this Forum hope you enjoy it as much as I do !! To day would have been my Dads B-day 80 he passed on new years day this yr. I understand were ur coming from . I know you don't want to run that Bug but may can pick one up cheaper that can be fixed to run ! Plenty of help here ! This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  mainmothman52 Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:44 pm

I was 10 years old when my dad took me to "LOGAN PLANT AND VARIETY STORE" in Logan WV and I picked out my first Baja-bug for my birthday.  If I can get a parts car to get running, it sure would be fun to get a .049 running.  I will post you guys some pics of my BAJA-BUG and purple dune buggy in the next day or so.   meanwhile I have been looking on e-bay for a salvageable baja-bug or dune buggy to restore  a neighbor is checking on a cox pinto that's supposed to be in his moms attic, more on that story if it turns out its still there after all these years.    RC Plane Small Cox Logo
mainmothman52
mainmothman52
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:18 pm

The tires are generally the problem. NOS parts are off the chain expensive, but there's a Tamiya r/c car paddle wheel tread tire that apparently fits. These look stock on the dune buggy. I think they actually look good on the Baja bug equally. They really are a lot of fun. My Baja Bug has been reworked a bit to accept a horsehoe backplate product engine, this allows me to run a remote tank for longer duration.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  FlipStart Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:24 am

Congratulations on the Baja Bug & welcome to the forum. I'm new here also. The only gas engine car I had was a weird home made thing I use to run at the school dirt yard on weekends that used a Cox .049 and prop for power. It never got that far away as it would spin-out at speed and change direction all the time. I stuck 2 skinny rear wheels sets from a tethered teardrop style car together with a brass tube and mounted the engine between the 4 wheels.

I do have my dad's Cox Scorpion here just as it was when he gave it to me. It has one of those nasty, noisy, smelly, messy, electric things in it for power though.

Jeff
FlipStart
FlipStart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  FlipStart Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:39 pm

Here is my dads Scorpion he built & the Kraft (KO Propo) radio. "Competition Orange" was his favorite color for race cars.

Jeff

NEW well new to me COX BAJA BUG  and dune buggy Dsc_0710
FlipStart
FlipStart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:08 am

That looks like some Hot Fun !! I like orange myself to Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  mainmothman52 Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:57 pm

I got my T-shirt I ordered from this forum in today, I'm loving it,  I was looking at my cox dune-buggy last night, it really would make a great runner as its kind of not perfect like my baja bug,  so i'm thinking I may need to tear the engine down, I was told when I bought it that the pull-start wouldn't go back in by itself.  tires look good, I will try to post you guys some pics, if the engine ends up being bad are there any suppliers selling rebuilt .049 car engines?   or if I have to tear it down myself what is involved in a good overhaul? Babe Bee .049 Huh... P.S. LOVE THE SCORPION!!!
mainmothman52
mainmothman52
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:39 pm

Under the worm gear is two small metal discs, they're imperative to the operation of the pull start. These can easily be lost and are a bit hard to source so don't lose them. If the pull start is not operating, I would try WD-40 first before taking it apart. Let it sit and clean the cable and residual WD from it. Castor oil gets all over the mechanism and then becomes gummy and sluggish. Another area this happens is the gear engagement lever, make certain the gear slides easily on the axle shaft and the lever itself moves properly.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mainmothman52 Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:46 pm

hey thanks, I will check it out. I would like to learn all I can before I resort to tearing the engine down, hopefully it may not need it. RC Plane
mainmothman52
mainmothman52
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:01 pm

Welcome to the forum from another nube. I think you'll find that the engine is the easy part. Parts for the Bug could be a harder thing. Watch eBay and be patient. There are also several groups on Facebook that might be helpful.

You've found the right place here.
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

NEW well new to me COX BAJA BUG  and dune buggy Empty Howdy from the Thumb of Michigan, and understand too

Post  Mim Khim Ibun Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:51 am

Saw your post and thought about all the memories I have of my Dad. He passed June 14th 2022, got to celebrate his 50th anniversary, and knew about his first Great-grandson. I didn't work on model engines with him, but we did work on motorcycle, automobile, lawnmower, and tractor engines, plus we talked about many other engines. That DID include model engines. What I wouldn't give to have him back working with me on my current project. Keep those memories and smiles! Mr. Scott W. (aka Mim Khim Ibun)
Mim Khim Ibun
Mim Khim Ibun

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down