Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The good news, the bad news, and the Oysters - Page 2 Cox_ba12

The good news, the bad news, and the Oysters - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by getback Today at 12:19 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 10:29 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by rdw777 Today at 9:55 am

» B-25 Mitchell
by rdw777 Today at 9:49 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by rsv1cox Today at 9:39 am

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Today at 6:32 am

» M1Fan...who are you?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:07 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 9:52 pm

» Roddie's water-cooled bench-run vid
by roddie Yesterday at 8:55 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:19 pm

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:54 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The good news, the bad news, and the Oysters - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

The good news, the bad news, and the Oysters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The good news, the bad news, and the Oysters - Page 2 Empty Re: The good news, the bad news, and the Oysters

Post  RknRusty Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:47 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:
I don't want to distract from Rusty's woes, ...

Nooo, no no. Rod, I didn't post this thread to attract sympathy from you guys(But thank you, I do like knowing y'all care), I just wanted everyone who knows me to understand what's going on. Like why I'm not able to be one of the main faces of the forum. And if, god forbid, I cease to exist, nobody is left wondering what happened. By all means, if fun pops up here, as anywhere, please run with it. Nothing is off topic in most of my threads.

Now... carry on with the humorous side topics!
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

The good news, the bad news, and the Oysters - Page 2 Empty Re: The good news, the bad news, and the Oysters

Post  Dave P. Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:04 pm

For anyone that's wondering why some of us are having a little fun when a somber tone seems much more appropriate, let me quote Mark Twain.  He expresses my thought process much more eloquently than I ever could.

"One should not bring sympathy to a sick man.  It is always kindly meant, and of course it has to be taken - but it isn't much of an improvement on castor oil.  One who has a sick man's true interests at heart will forbear spoken sympathy, and bring him surreptitious soup and fried oysters and other trifles that the doctor has tabooed.  That is much better than saying, 'O, I am so sorry you are so ill; you look meaner and meaner all the time, poor man; your eyes are turning yellow and your nose looks like a wen; O, if you were to be taken away from us in your present state, how sad we would be; I will make you some weak gruel and send you some tracts."

In your case Rusty, a quart of castor oil might be just the trifle he had in mind.
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:53 pm

RknRusty wrote:
Oldenginerod wrote:
I don't want to distract from Rusty's woes, ...

Nooo, no no. Rod, I didn't post this thread to attract sympathy from you guys(But thank you, I do like knowing y'all care), I just wanted everyone who knows me to understand what's going on. Like why I'm not able to be one of the main faces of the forum. And if, god forbid, I cease to exist, nobody is left wondering what happened. By all means, if fun pops up here, as anywhere, please run with it. Nothing is off topic in most of my threads.

Now... carry on with the humorous side topics!
Rusty

You're a good man Rusty. I am praying for you to be back up and running at full speed ASAP!
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:47 pm

Dave P. wrote:....One who has a sick man's true interests at heart will forbear spoken sympathy, and bring him surreptitious soup and fried oysters and other trifles that the doctor has tabooed.....

Thanks Dave, Florida Bob, Fred, Rod, Ron, Marley, Kim, Brad, Roddie, Ken, New222, Matt, Jacob, rsvBob, Eric, Malibu-Steve,... everyone.
Ahem, I'll have my she-crab soup with crostinis and an extra dollop of sherry on the side; and my fried oysters with a dash of red hot sauce and a lemon wedge. Accompanied with a Corona and a couple of 6 ounce bottles of Coke chilled to 32.8° in a silver ice bucket. Also a fresh crisp copy of National Lampoon. And my lucky flying hat.
Yaaazoo! This Site Rocks!
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:03 am

I had to look some of that up Rusty. You know us Yankees up here eat a bit different.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

The good news, the bad news, and the Oysters - Page 2 Empty Eatin good in da neighborhood

Post  fredvon4 Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:55 pm

RknRusty wrote:Ahem, I'll have my she-crab soup with crostinis and an extra dollop of sherry on the side; and my fried oysters with a dash of red hot sauce and a lemon wedge. Accompanied with a Corona and a couple of 6 ounce bottles of Coke chilled to 32.8° in a silver ice bucket. Also a fresh crisp copy of National Lampoon. And my lucky flying hat.

man watering mouth!
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:14 pm

Ken Cook wrote:       I had to look some of that up Rusty. You know us Yankees up here eat a bit different.
Aw, now, that's East coast stuff. Maybe it's more a Southern delicacy. I thought Luwong Island was close enough for youse guys to be seafood aficionados. Shecrab soup is made with legally harvested female Blue Crabs and their roe. Half&half makes it very rich, and sherry gives it a distinctive flavor. I don't add any more as I implied in my post, I just wrote that for style points, Lol. It's Good stuff! Fried oysters... dredge them in cornmeal, salt&pepper, and fry them till golden brown and crispy. Oh, goodness, I need to go to the beach, Mmmmm mmm m. We catch a lot of Blue Crabs but generally throw back any egg-laden girls. They're dwindling. I see the Mexican construction workers keeping everything they take out of the creeks.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:10 pm

We used to crab off the community pier in Leonardtown Maryland.

Drop a line with a chicken drumstick attached, pull up a blue crab. Repeat about 20 times over a 10 minute period and we had lunch. Some 25 years ago, crabs were prolific there then and maybe still.

Never had an Oyster outside of an Oyster stew. Raw...G.R.O.S.S But that dunked crab eaten chicken drumstick wasn't bad. Kidding about that.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:53 pm

Bob,
As opposed to popular opinion, raw oysters aren't gross.
They're not slimy or slippery, just wet with savory salty water.
And if you look at its edge view, it looks a lot like a vagina. MMMmmm
...................................................................................................... lol!

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:27 pm

RknRusty wrote:Bob,
...................................................................................................... lol!

This is a great thought on which to end my day!!! Good night gentlemen.
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:57 pm

RknRusty wrote:And if you look at its edge view, it looks a lot like a vagina. MMMmmm

Lol. Now to clean up the monitor of my laptop! Good one Rusty! lol!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:59 am

And if you look at its edge view, it looks a lot like a v....a. MMMmmm

Affraid or WOW! Only Rusty could get away with that!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:47 am

I feel at the very least an FBI investigation is warranted. Smile I see ladies by the dozen on the march waving placards.

BTW, don't oysters consume what falls to the bottom. Sad

Robert...............

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:28 am

rsv1cox wrote:
BTW, don't oysters consume what falls to the bottom.  Sad

Yeah, they eat whatever lobsters and crabs don't want.

Hey Rusty, I wish all the best with the operation and hope for a speedy recovery. I sincerely admire your perseverance. It's great to see your humor and optimism in this tough situation.

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:06 am

fit90 wrote:

This is a great thought on which to end my day!!! Good night gentlemen.

too funny Bob.. Laughing
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:14 pm

rsv1cox wrote:
BTW, don't oysters consume what falls to the bottom.  Sad

Robert...............  

I'm with you Bob.  I have no plans to eat anything that lives on other creatures crap Mad
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:34 pm

Oysters don't eat other creatures' crap. They are filter feeders, ingesting primarily plankton and microscopic algae from the tidal currents. They don't go anywhere or do anything, just grow into banks and bask in the goodness of the sea. They are a very healthy source of protein, vitamins, and trace minerals. They basically taste like pure clean ocean.
.....So There! You oyster detractors. Fishing

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:08 pm

And they're good on saltines with a little hot sauce!
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:02 pm

I remember as a kid standing next to my grandfather. There was a 30 gallon galvanized trash can filled to the top with ice and raw oysters. He says to me " Son, go grab me a beer and get yourself one too and join me over here". Here I am, beer in hand eating oysters and my grandmother FLIPS out. I was cracking em open with a pen knife and sucking em down. Great memories.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:22 am

Ken Cook wrote:             I remember as a kid standing next to my grandfather. There was a 30 gallon galvanized trash can filled to the top with ice and raw  oysters. He says to me " Son, go grab me a beer and get yourself one too and join me over here". Here I am, beer in hand eating oysters and my grandmother FLIPS out. I was cracking em open with a pen knife and sucking em down. Great memories.
That's so great. Sounds like you had a pretty cool Grandpa. I bet she laughed about it when you were out of earshot. We often stop for an oyster roast at Nance's in Murrells Inlet, SC. When my son Al was 3 or 4, he was getting his own setup and opening the local tidewater oysters on pace with the adults. The waitresses couldn't believe it.

The tidewater oysters from the inlet where the restaurant grows them are long and slender(shaped by the currents they grow in) with razor sharp edges. Good and salty, also from the inlet waters. Always pop them open at their butt hinge and slide the knife along to cut the muscle holding it to the shell. We've found a lot of pearls over the years. Holley wants to get a box this weekend and roast them in a pan on the grill.

Oh, and Bob, They don't grow on the bottom, they grow on mounds, well above the bottom feeders.

Dave P. wrote:And they're good on saltines with a little hot sauce!
That's good for coaxing people to try them.
Dave, have you ever been to Huntersville? I hope you'll consider coming, even if it's just a Saturday day-trip... hell, I hope I'm coming. Maybe you'll join the Carolina Gang, our annual dues are only $20 bucks.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:51 am

[quote="RknRusty"]
Ken Cook wrote:            

Oh, and Bob, They don't grow on the bottom, they grow on mounds, well above the bottom feeders.

I think Rod and I were tongue in cheek but I suspect we are both leaving the little critters where ever they may grow. Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:01 pm

Dave P and OErod

I would actually like to see an anvil launching event locally.... while Dave is sort of correct not much going on between dove and deer season locally....

OE Rod.... I too would love to have a very large Iron workers anvil in the 60 to 120 LB range...they are horribly expensive and the shipping is killer...my little harbor freight 10Lb versions are NOT really anvils IMO

Being rurla I probably should actually go to yard sales to see if I can find a big assed anvil... or get off ass and put a wanted add locally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEZCsa2vnhU

I am sea food kinda guy and was not thinking when buying this cen tex micro ranch....only oysters I get are in a can...grrrrr
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:31 pm

Hey, Fred,
Do you have a bream and bass pond on the micro ranch? That would be good for some good fish fry suppers. Y'all dun flung a cravin' on me now.

Oh, btw, surgery is scheduled for... Get this... November 21st. Geez. But I will be in Huntersville.
Rusty
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:13 pm

Hoping for a speedy recovery for you.

As far as oysters go I don't know how you could slurp down that slimy creature.  Good thing I come from the land of beef and cheese.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The good news, the bad news, and the Oysters - Page 2 Empty RE: The Good News, the Bad News, and the Oysters

Post  66 Malibu Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:05 pm

Over most of my life I've liked to eat fresh oysters any chance I had but that changed in about 2002.
Because of my job, I traveled to most every seacoast city in the Southern U.S. many, many times.
Then on a trip to LA/South MS, there was quite a stir as I recall where one lady died from and another man had half his face eaten off by a flesh eating bacteria after eating raw oysters !!!!
Who knows the environment the shellfish came from, how they were handled before you got them, or a million other variables, even though they were served in reputable restaurants.
I decided to call it quits even though I only ate in the best places....Not worth playing  Russian roulette with dinner !!!!
Still like cooked oysters at special places.....
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next