Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Show and Tell Cox_ba12

Show and Tell Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» audio-tach anyone?
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Yesterday at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:43 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Yesterday at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Sat May 18, 2024 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Show and Tell Empty
Live on Patrol

Show and Tell

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Show and Tell Empty Show and Tell

Post  Davenz13 Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:31 pm

A thread to post a picture or pictures, and a bit about it if you want, of any non-Cox hobby/model engine that you own, be it high end performance or plain old workhorse, in collection or daily use rare or common.
Hopefully it will generate discussion and those with experience of the engines posted will add their knowledge.
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Show and Tell Empty Re: Show and Tell

Post  Davenz13 Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:37 pm

I saw this engine on eBay back in 2016. I can’t remember if it was an Auction or Buy Now or I was the only bidder. That’s not always a good sign but the record shows I paid US$61 for it with US$9 shipping for a total of US$70. Don’t know if it was a good deal or not and I don’t know anything much about FOX engines but I have to admit the sales pitch got me so I bought it.
It was listed as

“FOX 36RX SPECIAL ENGINE
Front Intake Rear Exhaust Limited Product Sand Cast Special”

How could I not buy it after reading that. Then the rest of the listing….

I have been a model plane enthusiast for 65 years. I have been in the hobby business over 45 years. I retired in 2008 due to failing health. I was one of the leading shops for Super Tigre and I sold many engines to the customizers like Dave Shadel and Dub Jett. I knew Mr. Garofoli and I begged him for parts and he obliged. I put several items into storage filling up 5 mini storage units. I have recently hired a young fellow to clear those units and I am in the process of going through all the stuff and it really is delightful as it brings back a lot of good memories. Enough of the history lets get to the goodies.

I live near Fort Smith AR where Fox engines were made. I was into pylon racing and control line speed and had a lot of conversations with Duke Fox about speed engines. He had purchased the design and manufacturing rights to the Roselle and Frye speed engines and was very disappointed with what he had received. He finally abandoned the speed engine project but decided to incorporate some of the design ideas into another engine and would hopefully develop this into a full blown speed engine at a later date. This is the product of that design project and it features some elements of a speed engine in that it was a sand cast case to allow for unique porting and was a rear exhaust engine adaptable to a tuned pipe. It had some other features not often seen in Fox engines in that it had a detachable front end and rear backplate. It was constructed using socket head cap fasteners not often found in Fox engines.
This engine is new, never mounted or ran and has the box and paperwork. It does not have the "fuel tank" muffler but the exhaust is threaded and a tuned pipe can be attached easily. This was possibly the most unusual design and the best manufacturing product to come out of that factory and is highly collectible.

And here’s the engine.
Show and Tell Fox_3611
Show and Tell Fox_3612
Show and Tell Fox_3610

Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:39 pm

And the exhaust port configuration
Showing the threaded port
Show and Tell Fox_3614

and the porting
Show and Tell Fox_3613

Oops just realised I put this thread in the wrong place. Perhaps it can be shifted to the Non Cox Engines.
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:02 pm

I moved it.

Nice engine BTW. I am a Fox fan myself, been to the factory in Fort Smith a couple times as I have family that lives in Greenwood AR.

Sadly, it’s closed now. Still bummed about that.

Are there any performance records for that engine?

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:51 pm

Thanks Ron

Here’s the paperwork that came with the engine.

Show and Tell Cci24110

I think this is the base engine that has then been modified to what I have here.
This model has the muffler held to the exhaust manifold by grub screw  (there is a test of this engine on Sceptre Engine Test’s) where the special has the manifold threaded for a pipe.
I haven’t been able to find a test on the Special and no performance figures came with it. It did come with a Perry Carburettor sheet but no Perry
carburettor so I don’t whether there was a Perry carb on it at some stage or the sheet just got included by mistake.
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:15 pm

Well Dave, you have set the bar pretty high with that Fox .36. Let me offer another .36

Heavily used and somewhat battle scared it is never-the-less a very rare Enya engine.

From Bob Allan's Compendium.

This engine was produced for a short period which explains it's status along side the later .29 racing engine and the three bolt .19 as one of the three rarest air-cooled production Enya's of all time. The decision to make an Enya .36 size engine was probably the result of rival OS releasing their .36 in 1953.

and.......of interest

Show and Tell Enya_310

As received:

Show and Tell Enya_313

Cleaned up:

Show and Tell Enya_311

Show and Tell Enya_312
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:02 pm

That is interesting stuff Bob.
I see in Bob Allan’s text he mentions, among others, a Sabre 36 which I presume is one of Australian Gordon Burford’s, he of Taipan fame. I don’t have a 36 but I have a Sabre .19 of similar vintage. Its serial No is 1088, appears to have had very low usage and has excellent compression.
Interesting fact I stumbled across when researching it is that this model started production in 1953 and then the Sabre name was dropped in 1956 due to copyright reasons.
I don’t know how many were made but it appears they only had a production run of about three years.
I also read they’re basically a copy of the K & B Torpedo .19.

Other than that, I don’t know anything else about them. Maybe someone on the forum has flown them and can add to it.
Information source: “Sceptre Flight” Model Engine Tests, Model Aircraft Magazine March 1954

Show and Tell Sabre_11

Show and Tell Sabre_12

Show and Tell Sabre_10
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:41 am

An interesting engine, Davenz13, and a well performing one. Peter Chinn wrote about it in:

Sceptre Flight Model Engine Tests / Sabre 19

Confirmed by Peter, it does resemble a K&B .19 Torpedo, may have even been built under license from K&B. Given importation duties and shipping times (I remember sea mail time lengths from Hong Kong to US back in the 1970's) may have made it profitable to do Down Under.

About the only thing these days, because I have several .19's to include McCoy Red Head and Enya .19-V's, is the relative lack of suitable kits to support this size of engine. One basically must roll their own from plans.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Show and Tell Empty Fuji .099S-II ABC Cross Scavenge Engine

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:42 am

Here's an oddity, a Fuji .099S-II RC true ABC engine. You don't see many cross scavenge engines in ABC. I bought this engine in the late 1980's from a Hobby Shack store in the Los Angeles area. They were clearing them out, I got two of them, the last ones are clearance for only $10.00 apiece.

The box:
Show and Tell Fuji_010

Engine as it comes in the box:
Show and Tell Fuji_012

Engine with head removed. Aluminum piston has a baffle top:
Show and Tell Fuji_011

Engine along side a 1964 OS Max .10R/C. Note that the brass sleeve looks like an Enya copy:
Show and Tell Fuji_013

Engine on test stand:
Show and Tell Fuji_015
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:47 pm

Mecoa must have bought the rights to Fuji and have this picture of Fuji engines on their website.

Show and Tell Group10

The RIRE with the mini-pipe in the top left hand corner looks interesting but I have been unable to find any other pictures of it or any data on it anywhere.
Mecoa has a price list for the engines but I haven't been able to figure which one it is.

Show and Tell Fuji_e10

Show and Tell Mecoa_10

You ever seen one George?
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:21 pm

Davenz13 wrote:The RIRE with the mini-pipe in the top left hand corner looks interesting but I have been unable to find any other pictures of it or any data on it anywhere. Mecoa has a price list for the engines but I haven't been able to figure which one it is.

Show and Tell Fuji_e10

Show and Tell Mecoa_10

You ever seen one George?

Dave, no I haven't. I believe that based on the photos, their price list description may be in error. The following table is from my Fuji engine instructions.
Show and Tell Fuji_e10

Not all the engines have ball bearings supporting the crankshaft. This line up from my instructions might make the engines more distinguishable. However, there are only 10 engines in the photo. The .099S-II is not shown. The rear rotary valve venturi non-RC RIRE speed engine (for tuned pipe) you mention in the upper left corner is not in their specifications table.
Show and Tell Fuji_e11

Although Mecoa shows prices, those engines are not shown as available on their website. They may be available if they are contacted directly. Personally I wouldn't pay those prices for these engines, they are a little steep for what they are.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:14 pm

Yes I agree the price is more than I'd pay too but i was interested to find out what size and what performance they had.
Thanks for posting your photo which I copied since it's much better than the one I had.
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:40 am

Interesting Fuji George.

Unusual coated brass cylinder sleeve and a head that sits on posts. Lets you glimpse a part of that brass through the crack.

I only have two Fuji's, both early examples, seems I read somewhere that they had sandcast cases.

This is one of them, can't find the other. Smile A .29 with an integral head and cylinder.

Show and Tell Enya_c12

Show and Tell Enya_c13

Show and Tell Enya_c11
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:06 am

Just scored this 1982 OPS .40 for my Pylon motor collection, new in the box with all paperwork and with nib tuned pipe.
It's on the way and should have it sometime next week.

I missed out on a new earlier version because I thought the auction finished at 5.15pm but when I got ready to bid at 5pm I found it had finished at 5.15am that morning. DAMMIT!

Put that down to another senior moment. lol!

Show and Tell 1982_o11

Show and Tell 1982_o10
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:49 am

rsv1cox wrote:Well Dave, you have set the bar pretty high with that Fox .36.  Let me offer another .36

Heavily used and somewhat battle scared it is never-the-less a very rare Enya engine.  

From Bob Allan's Compendium.  

This engine was produced for a short period which explains it's status along side the later .29 racing engine and the three bolt .19 as one of the three rarest air-cooled production Enya's of all time.  The decision to make an Enya .36 size engine was probably the result of rival OS releasing their .36 in 1953.

and.......of interest

Show and Tell Enya_310

As received:

Show and Tell Enya_313

Cleaned up:

Show and Tell Enya_311

Show and Tell Enya_312

How prophetic, and I get to quote my own post.

Little did I know when I cited Bob Allan's passage (above) in his compendium that the next day a very rare Enya .29 "Racing engine" would turn up on ebay.  I gave my typical one time proxy bid and despite two snipers in the last second won it.  In truth, I wasn't going to let it get away.

This gives me the Enya trifecta of rare engines.  The .36, the three case bolt .19, and the .29 Racing.

Show and Tell Enya_314

Show and Tell Enya_114

Show and Tell Enya_115

Show and Tell Enya_r10

The pretty happy - Bob

Nice score on that OPS Dave, makes you feel great and forget those senior moments. Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:17 am

Hey Bob is that the intake /carb. for the 29 racer ? I mean is the no flue barrel ? I need to run my Enya .09 and see what the heck went wrong last time out with it . Shocked
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:35 am

Bob's Enya .19 and .29 look really good, never seen either before, very rare, congrats for the finds, Bob. Love the .19's anodizing accents. By the type of venturi, I gather they were meant to be run on pressure. The .36 cleaned up really good, looks new. The .36 is less seen, the one I've the most on E-Bay is the .29, I hear those are decent engines, too. Enya made quality stuff.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:49 am

Yes, pressure only.

Meant for speed not stunt as were a lot of Enya's .29 engines.  .35's for stunt.  The sandcast's .19's and 29's were Enya's first engines.  

Finding information on the net regarding this engine is like pulling teeth.  Not much out there outside of Bob Allan's work.  He talks about it being similar to the Fox .29R with the "ashtray" type intake.  Enya supplied two or three venturi inserts with each engine depending on who you want to believe.  It was rear ball raced and featured a hard chrome bore with a very large intake opening on the crankshaft. I don't believe the box shown is correct for this engine.

The .29 was a favorite for Enya and they produced it in more variations than any other.  A throttled .29 was my first enya engine.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:00 am

Thanks that is impressive I have a .29 that came with two ventures , It was a bear to break in and could stand more running in .
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:18 pm

Great score Bob. It's a good feeling when you finally complete a set although the hunt is a lot of the fun too.
No doubt you experience a bit of that chasing parts for your MG's.
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:10 am

I have just purchased a NIB Rossi R40 rear intake rear exhaust Pylon engine for my collection so while re-arranging the cabinet to make room for it I thought it a good opportunity to take some photos. Here are some OS Max Pylon engines.

Show and Tell Os_max24

the H40P
Show and Tell Os_max10

Show and Tell Os_max12

Show and Tell Os_max11

Show and Tell Os_max13

the 40SR
Show and Tell Os_max14

Show and Tell Os_max15

Show and Tell Os_max16

Show and Tell Os_max18

the 40VR-P
Show and Tell Os_max19

Show and Tell Os_max21

Show and Tell Os_max23

Show and Tell Os_max22

and the 40PS with factory tuned pipe and six lug mount.
Show and Tell Ox_max11

Show and Tell Ox_max10

Show and Tell Ox_max12

Show and Tell Ox_max14

Show and Tell Ox_max15

Show and Tell Ox_max13

Show and Tell Ox_max16

Show and Tell Ox_max18

Show and Tell Ox_max17
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:33 am

Wonderful collection of OS engines Dave, another favorite of mine. I have several and were I truthful I would admit that they start easier than my Enya's. Some of my Enya's are just bears to get running, they need a lot of breaking in.

But my first Enya, a .29 sitting on the nose of my Sterling Fledgling with many, many hours, starts mostly on the first flip.

What are your plans for them?

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:49 am

Man you got some nice ones there if i may ask why you collect pylon engine ? Use to race i am thinking . Flying a Plane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:51 am

Yes Bob i agree the Enyas need alot of break in compared to others , but i think there worth it if you get the breakin right Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:19 pm

Now you just need both versions of the Hanno special pattern engines. Nice collection.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next