Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

My latest find Cox_ba12

My latest find Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Today at 3:17 pm

» audio-tach anyone?
by roddie Today at 2:58 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 2:43 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by 1/2A Nut Today at 1:58 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Today at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 10:26 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

My latest find Empty
Live on Patrol

My latest find

Go down

My latest find Empty My latest find

Post  prostreet Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:57 am

Hello,

I went to a train show yesterday and spent an hour and a half walking around looking to see what was for sale that I needed.  One of the last tables that I had come to had the usual run of the mill train accessories but at the end of the table I saw a gas powered airplane of some sort beneath a plastic bag.  I picked the plane up and found that it was a nearly mint condition light green/dark green  Cox Spitfire with a red prop cone!  The only piece that is missing is the antenna-everything else is there and complete with no other breaks.  The box, what is left of it, accompanied the plane with the original instructions and paperwork laying inside.  Unfortunately, the box is badly deteriorated and the instructions and other paperwork are very fragile and falling apart. The wheels on the landing gear are still soft and spongy with no flat spots or cracks. The guy selling the plane told me it was his when he was a kid and he remembers flying it only once or twice.  The plane has no fuel stains anywhere on the outside and the decals are all complete and intact.  The engine is locked up from sitting for so long but I will be able to remove it and free it up with little difficulty.  Perhaps the best part of this was the price-the seller was asking only $40.00 for the plane and the remnants of the box.  I offered $30.00 but we agreed to split it down the middle at $35.00!  She's on my workbench now disassembled while I free up the engine and clean up the body before putting it back together.  It'll make a nice addition to my collection and it will be a find I remember for a long time.  My Dad and I went to this show together which is always a fun thing to do since we share many common interests.

prostreet

Last edited by prostreet on Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
prostreet
prostreet
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

My latest find Empty Re: My latest find

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:10 am

You did very well. Good job!

How about a picture or two?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  prostreet Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:44 am

Hello,

The engine is free now with good compression but I did find a problem with the crank pin. The pin that the connecting rod links to was bent upwards for some reason.  This was causing the piston to bind in the cylinder as it came up on the stroke because the connecting rod was moving on an angle as the piston cycled up and down.  Once the crank pin was straightened, the engine turns over smoothly.  The Spitfire is now back together and cleaned up.  I was able to attach some photos of my train show find.  Thanks.

prostreetMy latest find Hpim0213
My latest find Hpim0214
prostreet
prostreet
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  prostreet Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:10 pm

Can any of the members tell me when this plane in this color scheme was made? I've seen several variations of this airplane but I don't know when they were produced. Thanks.

prostreet
prostreet
prostreet
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:31 pm

My latest find 43732f10
prostreet wrote:Can any of the members tell me when this plane in this color scheme was made?  I've seen several variations of this airplane but I don't know when they were produced. Thanks.

prostreet

Martin Hepperle's web page from our instructions link.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:06 pm

Nice find! I wonder what Cox was thinking with the antenna. Most are missing.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:43 pm

I could wear that plane out, by just
sitting and staring at it. Not even
touching. Brilliant score.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:02 pm

prostreet wrote:The engine is free now with good compression but I did find a problem with the crank pin. The pin that the connecting rod links to was bent upwards for some reason.  This was causing the piston to bind in the cylinder as it came up on the stroke because the connecting rod was moving on an angle as the piston cycled up and down.  Once the crank pin was straightened, the engine turns over smoothly.  The Spitfire is now back together and cleaned up.  I was able to attach some photos of my train show find.  Thanks.  prostreet
My latest find Hpim0213
Nice, thanks for sharing. Memory is a little fuzzy but I got one of those back in 1965 either on my birthday or for Christmas. I was 11 at the time. It had nice spongy soft tires and only one under wing oil cooler.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  prostreet Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:35 pm

Good Evening,

Thank you for the replies. This plane still has nice soft, spongy tires and it also has an oil cooler under only one wing. Safe and Happy Holidays to All!

Joe
prostreet
prostreet
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TLAnderson Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:47 pm

Nice find. Very Happy  I had one of those in about 1967. It was too cool looking to risk flying it.
TLAnderson
TLAnderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:52 am

Cool Man !! hope you didnt hurt your self getting to the $$$ Very Happy Nice score !! This Site Rocks! O hea what about those trains ?? Pics !!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:05 am

I assume that you aren't going to attempt an engine run with that stress damaged crank pin.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  prostreet Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:13 am

Hello,

I have no intention of running the engine in the Spitfire especially with the crank pin that was bent but is now straight. I just wanted the engine to turn over and operate as it should once it was unlocked. I didn't take any pictures of the train show itself if that is what you're asking for so I have none to post. Next time around I will try to remember to take some photos of the show itself. I think there's another local show coming up just after Christmas.

Joe
prostreet
prostreet
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:28 pm

prostreet wrote:Hello,

I have no intention of running the engine in the Spitfire especially with the crank pin that was bent but is now straight.  I just wanted the engine to turn over and operate as it should once it was unlocked.  I didn't take any pictures of the train show itself if that is what you're asking for so I have none to post.  Next time around I will try to remember to take some photos of the show itself.  I think there's another local show coming up just after Christmas.  

Joe

Joe,

The crank for that engine is extremely common nearly anyone of us has a spare crank, if you need one just let us know. I would send one for free, just say the word. BTW I recently aquired a Spitfire myself. It’s one of Cox’s nicest models.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:16 pm

According to Dannels/Sitter (Cox Model Engine Handbook page 27) the Spitfire was equipped with the 8cc "Silver Bee" engine.  However the distance between the exposed cylinder and needle looks to be closer to a 4cc BB engine.

Got a picture of the engine while you had it out?

Ron?

Thanks - Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:37 pm

From what I recall, the Silver Bee engine I had was like the Golden Bee, 8 cc tank but lacked the stunt filler nipple and vent, back was like the Babe Bee. But I gather that prostreet's goals are to appreciate the Spitfire as a static display, not a runner.

I also gather that because the Spitfire was heavier with more plastic, and probably the best looking of the Cox RTF's ever manufactured, the Silver Bee's dual bypass ports essential to move that amount of plastic through the air made it a forerunner to the later Black Widow nearing its power.

If one wanted it as a runner, wouldn't be hard to spare the engine and install a later one with the Babe Bee nipple back. However, even I would not want to try it as given its rarity, would be irreparably easy to damage in flight. Rather, I think templating the model in balsa and flying a scratch built version would be more apt.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:51 pm

Not trying to get you to do anything you don’t want to. All I was trying to say is if you want a functional crank/ engine. Just let me know

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  prostreet Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:49 pm

Hello,

Thank you for the additional comments and offers for parts. I never intend on flying this plane so installing a new crank would not serve my intentions for this model. I'm happy with the beautiful condition of the plane and the fact that the engine now turns over and has a "pop" to its compression when the motor is turned over. Unfortunately, I did not take a photo of the engine when I had it out and apart so determining which engine it is may not be possible at this point. I sincerely appreciate the offers and comments on my find and hope to come across more in the future.

Joe
prostreet
prostreet
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:02 am

It must have the 8cc "Silver Bee" engine with the filler/vent tubes beside the needle as shown in the instructions you posted with the picture.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:00 pm

rsv1cox wrote:However the distance between the exposed cylinder and needle looks to be closer to a 4cc BB engine.

Looking at the picture, I'd say it's definitely an 8cc tank. Needle is well away from the cylinder.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down