Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Micro Flight Pack for 049 kit Cox_ba12

Micro Flight Pack for 049 kit Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Today at 3:45 am

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by latole Today at 3:20 am

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by GallopingGhostler Today at 1:59 am

» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by GallopingGhostler Today at 1:42 am

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:58 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:46 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 3:07 pm

» Removing old decals
by latole Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:29 pm

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by getback Yesterday at 6:46 am

» COX Postage Stamp engine -Babe Bee & Horseshoe Backplate adapters
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 6:33 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Micro Flight Pack for 049 kit Empty
Live on Patrol

Micro Flight Pack for 049 kit

Go down

Micro Flight Pack for 049 kit Empty Micro Flight Pack for 049 kit

Post  MJRoberts Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:05 am

Good day,

I am new at building airplane kits … and loving it. I have a kit from Cox (Banana Kit, 049) and am not sure of the electronics needed.
I believe I need a transmitter, receiver, battery and servos.
I would like to control the rudder, elevator and throttle. So it is a basic setup, nothing fancy. For a complete beginner (me)
I am assuming I will likely crash this model pretty quick but it is all about the learning process.
Could any knowledgeable expert point me in the right directions for the electronics? I obviously need it light.

Thanks in advance.
MJRoberts
MJRoberts

Back to top Go down

Micro Flight Pack for 049 kit Empty Re: Micro Flight Pack for 049 kit

Post  fredvon4 Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:25 pm

MJ Roberts

Get familiar with several web sites...probably best for beginner RC flight IMO is RC Groups

Cox International sells this version of the Israel RC Banana

https://coxengines.ca/model-airplane-rc-kit-banana-standard.html

If this is the plane you have folks here on this site can get you  in the right direction for the control equipment

Tower, or Brodak, or Hobby King is where you will buy most of not all the radio equipment...this assume you have no local hobby store like most of us

I personally do NOT recommend some super duper wiz bang 11~18 channel computer radio for first transmitter...you have a simple model to learn on so I humbly suggest en equally simple and efficient low cost set of electronics

4 or 5 channel Spectrum Transmitter, Hobby King Orange Receiver, Small servos, and simple Light weight battery.... some one will be here in a few to recommend specift items

You will need the Cox engine and all starting equipment and fuel
You will need a multi chemistry Battery charger

YOU ...and I am serious about this..really need to seek out a RC club near you and get into their beginner Pilot training program....

and a final suggestion...the Banana RC 2=3 Chanel is a delicate and easy to destroy airplane but once in competent pilots hands a LOT of fun...I highly recommend you buy an inexpensive Foam E-flite high wing electric RTF trainer aircraft

Like this
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJBVK&P=0

or this
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHDAM&P=0

I learned RC flite on the Apprentice electric high wing foam trainer....$299 sounds high but EVERY thing is in the kit...including battery charger

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MJRoberts Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:54 pm

Wow, so many thanks for the information fredvon4. Excellent advice too. I will pursue the foam model as a trainer and seek out some pilot training too.

Thanks
MJRoberts
MJRoberts

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:54 pm

MJ... trust me brother every one here on CEF wants you to have a great experience building and flying YOUR FIRST MODEL

WE are the ones who persevered way back with the early Cox Plastic crap RTF junk...

WE are a slowly dying community

Therefore I/We want you to succeed.... Building and successfully flying YOUR first Balsa model is a challenge... using a Cox small engine it self is a new challenge, setting up and trimming a Remote Controlled Airplane is yet another challenge

Lots of people wade right in and are successful...others are frustrated and take up pottery or knitting...grin

in this case I recommend NOT to be in a hurry...

You will need to learn a bunch of skills building that model

I might also suggest you got to Sig or Brodak and pick a cheap 1/2a model to learn on

Sig Sky Ray

The  Sky ray is $16
https://sigmfg.com/collections/control-line-kits

Brodak

Right now the Brodak Zero is half price at $21..

http://brodak.com/control-line-kits/brodak/1-2-a-series.html?dir=asc&limit=40&order=price

Point is you will learn fast on these rather inexpensive models how to glue...what glue
How to rig the controls and what materiel's you need to finish the control system
How to paint and FUEL proof the aircraft and what system you want to use

That Banana is a fairly sophisticated air plane ...and a tad pricey...might as well wait to learn some skills so you can build and finish it into the premier model you are right now all Jonesing about

and I have an ulterior motive...the two plane I suggest are Control Line in so much as you need a handle and fishing line to make them go round and round up n down in a circle....you will learn a LOT about powered model aircraft flight with this experience...

Last edited by fredvon4 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:43 pm

MJRoberts. Hi there from just a bit east of you! I love your location. Anyways, all the above information is great. As well, Cox International is in Williams Lake, BC. WIth that said, I persoanlly would recommend looking on Kijiji for a used radio, or possibly look for a local flying club and talk to them. Someone there may have a good cheap starter set-up for sale cheap as well. I persoanlly have and like my older Spektrum Dx6i. It is my first 'computer' radio and found it very easy to use and program. Nothing wrong with a Dx5e, or even a Dx4, but the 6i is just a step above. I first bought a Dx5e and still have it, but use my 6i more. With the Spektrum, you can use the Orange Rx receivers, and Lemon Rx receivers. They are both cheap and work well. But I would not stop you from using a genuine Spektrum Rx. Good luck with your venture, and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:45 pm

MJRoberts. Here is a link to MAACs website in which lists the affiliated clubs in BC. There may be a couple small clubs not affilliated either, but you would have to sniff them out yourself. Hope this helps.

https://www.maac.ca/en/clubs_by_zone.php?zone_code=H
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MJRoberts Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:24 pm

Thanks everyone for excellent advice. Such a fun hobby and will be expanding it as I become more experienced. I will likely be drawing on the experience of members of this forum as my hobby grows.
MJRoberts
MJRoberts

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:32 pm

So MJ give us an intro
we know you are in Canada

Experience
Ever played with toys before? kidding

Like sniffing glue?... wife? Wife who will allow dope in the house?

Inquiring minds yadda yadda...this is where a grin icon goes

Curious Fred or Phred your choice

Feedback Please

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MJRoberts Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:49 pm

I have flown many control line planes when I was in my early teens, I have built all of my models and crashed exactly that many … lol. I started build Carl Goldberg's models mostly and engines sizes differed from .020 to .15s. I live in Victoria, BC and today I believe I am 58. I work as a Computer programmer/Analyst. I have so many hobbies. I love fishing (fresh and salt water) and wifey and I love using our travel trailer. We travel to the states a lot as well as different place here in Canada. I still do the occasional backpack trip with friends and do a lot of hiking. Wifey says no dope in the house … so I am always in the garage lol (this can be interpreted two ways)

I want to retire within the next 5 years so I better have something to do otherwise Deb (wife) will find stuff for me to do …

MJRoberts
MJRoberts

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:22 pm

Other than modern 2.4 GHz equipment, perhaps a Cox RC system will be good for a Cox plane kit:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3093638-Cox-Icon-3-channel-w-receiver-ESC-2-servos

Cox Icon servos available at:

http://selecthobbies.com/radioequipmentdata.htm

RC Plane

Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:19 pm

Hey there MJ!  Welcome to the addiction!

Great advice so far.  The only thing I might add would be to consider getting a flight simulator if you have no RC experience, especially if there aren't a lot people around to help you learn the ropes.  I use the Realflight RF7.5 sim and feel comfortable recommending it.  I think version 8 is the one currently being sold.  A flight simulator won't replace actual flight instruction but it will definitely flatten your learning curve.  They're a lot of fun to play with too.  Best of all, regardless of the weather outside, it's always a perfect day for flying.
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:40 pm

-I would try to use 2.4 radio if possible, for the cost its worth it. Spectrums are great Tx.
-Hobby King is a good source.
- R/C simulator is a fun tool.
- 1/2a powered glider type is probably the best to learn on, low cost and slow, with time to react.
And the best advice i can give is: when first learning and the plane is coming toward you, turn away from plane and fly over shoulder, it quickly becomes natural as there's no left is right, right is left, turn stick toward low wing, etc., etc..

If you not gonna build (at first) and just wanna learn, you may look at a basic powered glider: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/aircraft/planes/all-planes.html?wrh=2%2C3&plane_use=7288
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:03 am

Welcome to the Forum RJRoberts , i am glad you brought this up am looking for something to train on before i put some Balsa Battleship in the air ! I have most of what i need addceipt for RX and servos for Spektrum DX6i And some radio nolaige RC Plane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:05 am

I apologize for my posts sounding like you were a total noob to model building

Again welcome to CEF

Fishing