Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Midwest Mini Warbird P-40  Cox_ba12

Midwest Mini Warbird P-40  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Today at 5:42 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Today at 5:35 am

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by Oldenginerod Today at 5:20 am

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by Oldenginerod Today at 5:13 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Today at 3:45 am

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by latole Today at 3:20 am

» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by GallopingGhostler Today at 1:42 am

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:58 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 3:07 pm

» Removing old decals
by latole Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:29 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Midwest Mini Warbird P-40  Empty
Live on Patrol

Midwest Mini Warbird P-40

Go down

Midwest Mini Warbird P-40  Empty Midwest Mini Warbird P-40

Post  F4D Phantom II Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:41 pm

I`m almost finished with my Midwest Mini Warbird P-40 clone. I couldn`t get a kit but was able to find a photo of all the parts which I enlarged to make the parts as close as I could. It took me a month because I`m a slow builder and like to let the paint gas off to avoid problems and also because I made some of the parts needed like the bellcrank,elevator horn,landing gear wire and the gas tank. It weights 6.8 oz. It could have been a little lighter but I only had clear dope which I used to fuel proof the the plane with a few coats. To seal the wood I used epoxy and using playing cards as a squeege removed as much as I could. I used transtar 4633 white primer because is easy to sand dry. To hold weigh it down I sanded the primer to the point I could start to see the wood. I painted the little plane with duplicolor radiant silver and Taffeta White. The decals used are from the e flite UMX P-51 BL that I bought on ebay. The sharkmouth I painted with a brush. Engine is a surestart with a diesel crank, TD hi comp head and spring starter. Wheels are Perfect 1 1/8. The prop is a cox 5 x 3 three blade I had with a spinner I painted white to match the plane.  Here are a few pics.
                                                                                                                               Juan

Midwest Mini Warbird P-40  Index.php?action=dlattach;topic=52863
F4D Phantom II
F4D Phantom II
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Midwest Mini Warbird P-40  Empty Re: Midwest Mini Warbird P-40

Post  944_Jim Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:51 pm

Thank you Juan!
Those teenie-weenie pictures on SH just didn't do this build justice. I love the detail work. I also noticed you completed the back part of the cockpit/canopy frame.

Can you give us any details.on how you built the tank? Did you use a wood form and roll the tin around it? Did you start with a cardboard version to work out the angles/measurements along the fuselage?

Any details.may help the beginner tank builder (me).

Gracias, mi amigo!
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TLAnderson Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:12 pm

Very nice!! Thumbs Up
TLAnderson
TLAnderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:26 pm

Juan is quite a skilled modeller at tank building. Over the years he's compiled some very good information. Glad he's made it over here. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:26 pm

That's the nicest finished profile plane that I have seen. Well done Juan.

You hand painted that sharks head..........fantastic.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  F4D Phantom II Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:45 pm

Hello Bob
                    I thank you for your kind words, It had been a while since I built a 1/2a control line model. I had seen the plans on an AMA Plan Book published in or about early 70`s. It has a membership application for 1974 in the back page. I had not seen a kit or built plane in the internet. The plans in the book only show a side view. I found more information in a book by Dick Sarpolus called building and Flying control line model Aircraft. There was a photo of the kit parts showing the outlines of the fuse,wing and tail, I took it to a copy shop and enlarged it to use making a clone. I enlarged the side view using the wheel size as a guide and I built the plane. I haven`t flown it yet. I will be using steel wire .008 from Brodak ,got the wire but need to make the lines to 35 Ft. lenght. I also want to fly from a smooth surface but haven`t had the chance to out searching for a parking lot. I thought about removing the wheels and flying on grass but I`m afraid it would shift the center of gravity back making for a very exciting first flight.  Thanks again.
                                                                                                                        Juan
F4D Phantom II
F4D Phantom II
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:29 am

What did you do to back end of engine? NV looks like a Super Tigre and it looks like you modified air intake/choke tube from a sure start. I'm interested in engine performance with those modifications. I concur with all other comments about your modeling skills.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  F4D Phantom II Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:00 pm

Hello Tico
                           The idea to cut the intake tube at a 45 degrees is to help with air intake to the engine. The intake is at a 90 degree angle to the airflow as it hits the inlet tube some air spills out but portion of the airflow goes into the tube providing a little supercharging. It might be minimal but like I used to say when I was drag racing I will work on every area even if I only get a little bit of improvement because a little bit here and a little there might be the difference at the track. You can see what I`m talking about using a straw, cut one end at 45 degrees place it under a water faucet at 90 degrees to the water flow and you can see how the water flows out of the other side.The needle valve is a Cox surestart item that I turned down on the lathe and then I bent the tip. All cox engines are a lot of fun. Treat them with care and you can get the best out of them. thanks for your kind words.
                                                                                                                               Juan
F4D Phantom II
F4D Phantom II
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:36 am

The plane looks amazing Juan , Good detail on the build and products used !
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike1484 Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:52 pm

Two thumbs up Juan !! A very neat and well thought out build . I just love seeing these Cox builds , brings back good memories of the good old days .

Mike1484
Mike1484
Mike1484
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:03 pm

One itsy bitsy aesthetic refinement suggestion: Find a way to protect upper tank vent from flip overs, put an exhaust heat shield on back plate and lay cylinder flat to outboard.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  F4D Phantom II Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:45 pm

Hello Tico
                 I placed the engine upright because I wanted the plane to look like in the drawing. I have done models with the engine sideways to place more weight on the outboard side. I had been looking at this model for quite a few years until I just had to do it. I think I will be doing a bigger profile with a TD.049 and built up wings but not for a while. Congratulations on your engine of the month win. That is a nice model airplane attached to it.
                                                                                                                               Juan
F4D Phantom II
F4D Phantom II
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:07 pm

Juan, have you ever mounted cylinders inboard? I have a few done in this fashion and have discovered positive results in doing so. I find the engine doesn't load as bad in the outside maneuvers. The Hyper Viper used this configuration as well.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  F4D Phantom II Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:45 pm

Hello Ken
                 I have never tried to mount engines to the inside of the circle. I might have seen one or two planes built that way but they were old models. I have not built many 1/2a airplanes , mostly profiles with sheet wings  with the exception of a little Satan and the Veco Tomahawk. I have been thinking about making a bigger built up wing profile with flaps  but not for now. I`m working on the Queen Bee .074 and a .049 reedy engines. I`m waiting on a reamer to try bushing a new black crankcase which has the hole .001 oversize. The diesel crankshaft  wiggles to much and I`m going to try to cure that. I looked at my stash of .049 and found some crankcases that might work too. I was looking for information on engines and I think I read that you recommended replacing the 3 screws that hold the cilinder on a Stels .049 combat engine. I have one NIB in my collection of engines. Is a cool looking engine with that big bathtub intake.
                                                                                                                  Juan
F4D Phantom II
F4D Phantom II
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down