Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Too many COX engines hoarded for too few planes.. Cox_ba12

Too many COX engines hoarded for too few planes.. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by OVERLORD Today at 12:43 pm

» audio-tach anyone?
by roddie Today at 12:14 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 11:22 am

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by fit90 Today at 8:34 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by getback Today at 7:19 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 8:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 11:26 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Sat May 18, 2024 5:58 pm

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 8:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Too many COX engines hoarded for too few planes.. Empty
Live on Patrol

Too many COX engines hoarded for too few planes..

Go down

Too many COX engines hoarded for too few planes.. Empty Too many COX engines hoarded for too few planes..

Post  balogh Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:45 pm

Counting only my COX engines, my cylinder index has well exceeded 70 already, and I am wondering how I could allow as many of my COX engines fly as possible in my not too high number of workable R/C planes..

So I decided to design the engine firewall of my recently built R/C planes so as to accommodate the most possible back plate and engine mount hole patterns on the same firewall.

The situation with TEE DEE 010 and 020 engines is relatively simple, because they each have only 2 mounting holes, so swapping them between the Roaring 20 (pictured here with an 010 in the nose) and the LilStick (designed for an 010 but powered by an 020) is not a big deal, and takes only placing 4 wood nuts on the proper pattern. The firewalls of my 2 planes below are fashioned to take any of the 010 or 020 engines:

Too many COX engines hoarded for too few planes.. Roarin10

The issue is more complex in the 049..050...051 engine range, that comes with postage stamp, or horseshoe, or TD mount hole patterns of which typically only 2 types (any combination of the 3) can be accommodated on the firewall.
The narrow firewall in my Lil Roughneck can easily accommodate the originally designed TeeDe020, but I have always flown this birdy with my home-assembled TeeDeeReeDie (a Killer Bee clone):

Too many COX engines hoarded for too few planes.. My_tim10

The Toucan was originally built for TD049/50/51 engines, but my curiosity to try the postage stamp O49 drove me to build an adaptor piece and swap the TD051 with the small reedy :

Too many COX engines hoarded for too few planes.. Toucan10

I am also experimenting with the use of TD049/51 as well as horseshoe backplate reedies on my fast TeeDeeVooDoo..

Too many COX engines hoarded for too few planes.. Voodoo13

...the nose had to be drilled at multiple locations to make this engine combination possible. This is how the TeeDee mount was fitted in the nose....the empty hole serves as lead-out for the throttle pushbar with TeeDee-s, or, one of the stock mounting holes for the horseshoe backplate

Too many COX engines hoarded for too few planes.. Voodoo11

...and the  mounting hole patterns for both the TeeDee049 and the horseshoe backplate 049 reedy:

Too many COX engines hoarded for too few planes.. Voodoo12

The Black Lynx I won in January 2018 also mounts on the TeeDeeVooDoo thanks to the multiple holes I drilled in the firewall:

Too many COX engines hoarded for too few planes.. Voodoo10

...and a TeeDee R/C setup (later I removed the entire muffler as it was counter-productive with a TeeDee049 having  an SPI cylinder):

Too many COX engines hoarded for too few planes.. 20180310

The alternate use of TeeDe049  and TeeDee 09 was made possible on my Cosmic Wind, where, with 2 additional holes drilled into the 09 mount, and with the widening of bottom mounting holes on both mounts, the firewall mounting hole pattern was made common for the 049 and 09 engines, so with only 4 mounting holes in the firewall, I can put both in the nose ...both pull the Cosmic Wind with decent authority

...the mounts with common mounting hole pattern:

Too many COX engines hoarded for too few planes.. Two_mo10

..the 049 powerplant in the nose:

Too many COX engines hoarded for too few planes.. Cosmic10

...and the brute force 09:

Too many COX engines hoarded for too few planes.. Cosmic11

..and a close-up on the 09 with exhaust deflector added, as seen today:

Too many COX engines hoarded for too few planes.. Cosmic12

The original 09 mounting hole on the upper right of the engine mount now serves as lead-out hole for the throttle push-rod for both engine sizes. The 09 mount is fixed on the firewall with the new 2 holes drilled overlapping with the same upper holes on the TD049 mount, and with the 2 bottom holes widened overlapping on both mount sizes.  .

As I grow older and develop various allergies to CA glue, and my eyesight is not improving either, I assume I will not build too many planes in my remaining active years, but at least will try to allow most of my COX gems to fly as described above.

I love all my COX engines and R/C planes and feel guilty when some of them are left sitting idle for extended periods... Very Happy RC Plane
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Too many COX engines hoarded for too few planes.. Empty Re: Too many COX engines hoarded for too few planes..

Post  Iceberg Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:17 pm

Awesome Balogh
Love the planes and details!

Ice
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Too many COX engines hoarded for too few planes.. Empty Re: Too many COX engines hoarded for too few planes..

Post  balogh Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:32 am

Thanks Darren..just wanted to give ideas on how to multitask our little engines. RC Plane
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:37 am

Wow, these must be some of the best covered wings I've seen on the last model (shoestring?).
Are they covered with silkspan?
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:43 am

Hi Dirk thanks for your note. It is Oracover Oralight transparent white cover on the Toucan R/C. And Oratex antique on the Cosmic Wind R/C (the last one which is also my avatar picture)
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:04 am

Very nice clean venturi screen protector add. Is that the end of a balloon?
Has it been staying in place when the engine is running in flight?

https://i.servimg.com/u/f39/18/57/77/11/cosmic10.jpg

1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:13 am

Thanks,Brad,

yes it is the end of a balloon that holds the screen on top of the venturi. The rimmed screen comes from a bathtub tap and I also added a fine mesh under the  screen to improve screening and fuel draw quality (An SPI engine thus the air intake pressure drop growth is forgivable) . It is not sitting quite firm on the venturi but stable enough not to vibrate.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:02 am

It is a good innovation worthy of a Thumbs Up
I guess finding the smallest balloon possible will help seat the screen that
and sourcing a single mesh screen small enough to meet your goals. The
car guys like using special foam soaked in engine oil. It is the extreme
way. I think for these small engines it will reduce power too much for me
to appreciate the benefits.

Small Cox Logo Beer Cheers
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:18 am

Good way to Adapt the engines in need of some attention , Did you have to add some tail weight when u put the .09TD on in place of the .049TD ?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:36 am

Thanks Eric. No, actually I never rebalance my planes by adding or removing tail weights when swapping engines. It may not be correct but my planes carry 1-2 oz fuel in their noses anyway and the changing weight of fuel during the flight - that may have a much bigger impact on the CG - does not cause any imbalance either...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down