Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

What is it?  Speed plane or something else... - Page 2 Cox_ba12

What is it?  Speed plane or something else... - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 3:05 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by roddie Today at 1:48 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 11:25 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 8:05 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by MauricioB Yesterday at 7:39 am

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Fri May 10, 2024 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Fri May 10, 2024 9:02 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Fri May 10, 2024 7:42 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Fri May 10, 2024 5:13 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Fri May 10, 2024 2:51 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Fri May 10, 2024 2:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Fri May 10, 2024 2:03 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

What is it?  Speed plane or something else... - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

What is it? Speed plane or something else...

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What is it?  Speed plane or something else... - Page 2 Empty Re: What is it? Speed plane or something else...

Post  rsv1cox Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:55 am

ticomareado wrote:Bob, I PM'ed you yesterday on an interesting Enya matter.

Thanks, checked my mail early this morning but it just showed up.

Thanks again - Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

What is it?  Speed plane or something else... - Page 2 Empty Re: What is it? Speed plane or something else...

Post  getback Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:07 am

Coming right along Bob , i didn't know the older Atwoods, ect. needed more castor , Thanks Ken ! i will have to mix something special for the next try out . This Fall!! Very Happy Hot
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:31 am

getback wrote:Coming right along Bob , i didn't know the older Atwoods, ect. needed more castor , Thanks Ken ! i will have to mix something special for the next try out . This Fall!! Very Happy Hot

If I'm reading Ken right, more castor is not going to help any engine to start quicker or run better, just help it from wearing out sooner??????????

I feel like this one will run if I find the right combination of fuel, glow plug and amperage.

Testing some plugs visually outside the engine I find that while 2 amps on some will give a nice bright glow while others take 3 amps to produce the same result. So much for me always adjusting amperage to fall into the green zone just below 3 amps.

Checking one of those cheap Taiwan $15 for 10 plugs I found it's happy at 2 amps. No wonder I burned the first one I tried out when I cranked the meter up to 3 amps.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:51 pm

Read what's posted and believe what you experience. For instance, I run Fox .35's and when I say run them I mean probably like no else does. So everyone who runs a Fox will tell you it will overheat if you don't use at least 29% castor oil. Now when Duke had those instructions written, it was 1948. Duke then started to use synthetics in the 70's, the engines took a complete dump due to the low cost synthetics he was offering. The instructions never changed. George Aldrich however worked for Duke for a short time and he always felt that the high percentages of castor were problematic. These engines would  varnish up and then they coke up with carbon. So if you don't manually remove the carbon, yes it can harm the engine rather then do it good. George Aldrich then made GMA ( His initials ) 50/50 22% oil fuel. I've been running this piston and crankshaft destroying fuel for 21 years now and never had a failure related to oil.  So the naysayers will still tell me that my engine will self destruct and ruin do to overheating because the castor takes the heat away. Well I'm tired of explaining it won't.

Back to the Spitfire, the fits of these engines are quite crude compared to a modern engine. The higher percentage oil cushions the poor tolerances such as the rod and wrist pin fits, but it also increases the compression when starting the engine. The engine will also hot start a lot better equally due to the higher oil due to the cylinder expansion. The Spitfire will also run better on high nitro as much as 25% but I would try and use 10%-15% nitro initially. Many of those older engines use short plugs as well so be on the look out that a long fits without striking the crown of the piston. You did mention a Enya #3. That is a hot plug which is good ( Expensive) but good. A Thunderbolt is one of my favorites, the K&B 1L is also a good choice. If you only have Cox fuel which is 25%-35% nitro, the Enya #3 is too hot and will cause pre-ignition prior to it running and could even damage the engine. Hot plug/lower nitro, higher nitro/ colder temp plug.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:46 pm

Thanks Ken, That's what I was thinking, more castor resulting in higher compression being the only benefit in a prime only start to run. But compression doesn't seem to be a problem with this engine.

The glow plug thing. I tried three altogether. Mostly medium lengths. All initially did not interfere with the piston, but one after a few flips and with the glow plug heating up caused expansion and the piston hit the plug and would not complete the cycle.

I'm thinking about mixing 1/3 Cox 35% with 2/3 Traxxas and some added castor just to see what I would get. Might also hitch up a tank just for grins. But, I have never seen an engine so far that would not at least run a second or two off prime.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:01 pm

". . . K&B 1L is also a good choice" I believe Ken meant a K&B 1S plug for the Spitfire (short as opposed to long)
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:55 am

ticomareado wrote:Bob, I PM'ed you yesterday on an interesting Enya matter.

What tico……….was pointing me to.

Hersheys  to a chocolate lover.

.29 always a favorite of mine and with an early plug too.

What is it?  Speed plane or something else... - Page 2 Enya_226

Early Enya .09 Model 3001 with early plug.  Replaces one I gave away last week.  

What is it?  Speed plane or something else... - Page 2 Enya_032

and an also ran off the shelf model .19 R/C

What is it?  Speed plane or something else... - Page 2 Enya_318

All three less than ten bucks apiece shipping and tax included. Look Ma, no drive washer tool marks. Smile

Thanks Victor.  Not the first one here to give me a heads-up on these specials.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:23 am

So would you consider giving me a bird dogger's deal on the .09 ?
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:36 am

ticomareado wrote:So would you consider giving me a bird dogger's deal on the .09 ?

Nope, but you get my eternal thanks and admiration for free.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2