Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The Scientific F-100 Super Sabre - Everything about it is all wrong Cox_ba12

The Scientific F-100 Super Sabre - Everything about it is all wrong Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» B-25 Mitchell
by roddie Today at 3:09 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Today at 2:24 pm

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Today at 2:23 pm

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by Pinkbeachbomb Today at 2:23 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 10:54 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by getback Today at 7:00 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Ken Cook Today at 6:52 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by roddie Today at 1:48 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by MauricioB Yesterday at 7:39 am

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Fri May 10, 2024 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Fri May 10, 2024 9:02 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Fri May 10, 2024 7:42 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The Scientific F-100 Super Sabre - Everything about it is all wrong Empty
Live on Patrol

The Scientific F-100 Super Sabre - Everything about it is all wrong

Go down

The Scientific F-100 Super Sabre - Everything about it is all wrong Empty The Scientific F-100 Super Sabre - Everything about it is all wrong

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:49 pm

and I'm about to start cutting balsa.

I know it was designed to fly tethered to a pair of strings.  But this is ridiculous.  The full scale has a length of 50' and a wing spread of 39', the model is about the inverse of that.  

I could build my own to scale from scratch like I did my P-38 but with these "other peoples" planes I like to just clean them up a bit and restore them to flying condition.   But I have bigger plans for this one, a new nose, belly pan, and after burner.  However there is no way I'm going to extend that fuselage to any size resembling scale and have it fly.  Then again, my scale P-38 fly's.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.  Leave as is or bash it up a bit and put the old SB Jr. back on it.  Or extend nose and tail add a belly pan, keep the .020 and suffer the consequences.  

The Scientific F-100 Super Sabre - Everything about it is all wrong P9140014
The Scientific F-100 Super Sabre - Everything about it is all wrong P9140015

Most people wouldn't waste time on it.  But there is little that I enjoy more than bringing a derelict back to life be it automotive or model plane.  Wish I could of got my hands on one of those old fighter planes the government sold off at the end of WW2.

The Scientific F-100 Super Sabre - Everything about it is all wrong P9140016

Thinking
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The Scientific F-100 Super Sabre - Everything about it is all wrong Empty Re: The Scientific F-100 Super Sabre - Everything about it is all wrong

Post  roddie Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:53 pm

I'm with you Robert! I also enjoy fixing-up a neglected article.. particularly if it's something old. I believe that you were check-fitting a faux jet-engine/tail-cone to this model; made from the cap of a squeeze-type apple sauce snack container. I can relate (fully) to what you were after.. and your full-scale/rear-view F-100 photos backed it up.

I've been struggling with my T33-Dee.. to muster the testicular-fortitude to fly it with a Tee Dee .049/.051 engine, which is what I designed it for. It's a smaller model than your Super Sabre; at 15" span and 13" length. I designed it for the CEF Speed Contest Tee Dee class.. but still haven't got a fuel-delivery system worked-out..  Rolling Eyes

You likely discovered that your F-100's nose-gear (wire) incorporated a "loop" between the engine/firewall in order to lock its position/attitude securely. I would personally replace the gear-wire with one having a "coil" wound into it.. which would provide some "spring-suspension".

My P-38 has this arrangement.

The Scientific F-100 Super Sabre - Everything about it is all wrong Dsc05810
The Scientific F-100 Super Sabre - Everything about it is all wrong Dsc05811

This may add weight.. but if you're planning to lengthen the fuse for a more scale-look.. (as well as adding the missing elevator) then you may well need some added nose-weight.

Maybe you're not planning to make the model airworthy.. but you could.. (while you're thinking..)  Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

The Scientific F-100 Super Sabre - Everything about it is all wrong Empty Re: The Scientific F-100 Super Sabre - Everything about it is all wrong

Post  ticomareado Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:42 pm

So is Chrysler going to start building P-38s?
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:40 am

Yes, that loop or triangle snuggled behind the engine on the firewall is a Scientific trademark. So many of their offerings featured it. Only problem is, their stamping machine never made it deep enough and I always had to hog it out to fit. This guy never did causing the engine to stand out a bit from the firewall.

I like that shock absorbing loop Roddie but I don't think I have the skill to fashion it.

Funny, the first thing I though of when I saw that bottle cap was - I bet Roddie could find an application for it. I have a draw full of them.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:24 pm

I like that shock absorbing loop Roddie but I don't think I have the skill to fashion it. wrote:
What ?/ take some .062 wire and rape it around a pill bottle put an L in it for the wheel and what ever mount configuration you need . Am sure Roddie can show U how he did his . Applesauce squizzer OK thought you said jelly lol!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:27 pm

Indeed, all it'll take is a little dab of WV Jelly
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:19 pm

Well, I do not know what to say in teh effect of what to do to the model. Repair as is, or do the modifications you were mentioning. All I do know though is that whatever way you decide to do it, it will look just great when you are done with it!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down