Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Glow Plug Igniter with CONSTANT CURRENT --Oz-- - Page 3 Cox_ba12

Glow Plug Igniter with CONSTANT CURRENT --Oz-- - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by akjgardner Today at 5:37 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:45 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by GallopingGhostler Today at 2:34 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 12:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 12:24 pm

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by duaneh Today at 11:48 am

» Internet buy
by Ken Cook Today at 9:15 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by GallopingGhostler Today at 8:26 am

» Sherline lathe wont run
by getback Today at 7:15 am

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 7:38 pm

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2022
by roddie Yesterday at 5:59 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 11:12 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Glow Plug Igniter with CONSTANT CURRENT --Oz-- - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

Glow Plug Igniter with CONSTANT CURRENT --Oz--

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Glow Plug Igniter with CONSTANT CURRENT --Oz-- - Page 3 Empty Re: Glow Plug Igniter with CONSTANT CURRENT --Oz--

Post  --Oz-- Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:28 pm

PV Pilot wrote:Happy 2023!  lol.  This one has legs.   Still using My old Rcats.  It will light a plug/head submerged in water or fuel.  It reads that resistance and slowly pours on the juice(to 1.8v on mine that's adjustable) and lights the plug in a couple seconds maybe.  So it's clearing the plug in seconds lets say.

Could you do a quick video and post?

Using your Rcats,
1. light a plug, show it glowing, drop one drop of fuel on it and show how long it takes to glow again, also show the leds on the Rcats in the video at the same time.
2. pre flood a plug with one drop and then lite it with your Rcats and also showing the leds.
TIA!
--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=91160

Back to top Go down

Glow Plug Igniter with CONSTANT CURRENT --Oz-- - Page 3 Empty Re: Glow Plug Igniter with CONSTANT CURRENT --Oz--

Post  --Oz-- Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:11 pm

Surfer_kris wrote:What you ideally want to have is a glow driver with a resistance detection. The resistance of the glow wire increases with the temperature, so the best drivers are actually measuring the resistance and driving the plug up to a certain desired temperature. Then if the plug gets wet with fuel it doesn't matter, the driver will simply drive it harder up to the desired temperature.

There are schematics of this available on the web, no need to re-invent the wheel here... Shh

Do you have any links to these schematics? TIA

kevbo wrote:Bridge type drivers that maintain a constant resistance of the plug element are an ideal solution.   Because the temperature change is minimal, they can respond very quickly to changing conditions.

Any links or info on these drivers? TIA
--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  --Oz-- Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:14 pm

Is the Rcats a (constant) resistance driver?
--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:06 pm

i know he posted he has some back in stock

and my mentor FredT actually SHOWED me his working yesterday.

its pretty cool. but I am also pretty cheap.

I've been having fistfights with my 2 Dcells lately, and fierce problems getting a dang engine to start...
maybe. hmmm MAYBE

Fred also had a super cool Dubro 1/2a glow plug clip like I've never seen before, I need to look for

cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:53 pm

I've found that 4 D-cell alkalines work better than two, lasts longer. Back in the mid 1970's, worked a summer for Research Corp., who was working for the Bekesy Laboratory for Geophysics at the University of Hawaii. (Was good cheap labor at minimum wage as a student hire.) There, they tasked me with removing old battery packs from the ocean bottom seismometer electronic racks inside the large diameter tubing (about 10 inches in dia. inside) aluminum pressure casing. There was like about 18 Duracell D batteries all soldered together. (These provided power to these seismometers dropped off coastal waters up to about 200 feet depth for several weeks at a time.)

We took them out, discarded them, then manually made up a new battery pack by soldering wiring in series new D cells. (They had really nice temperature controlled soldering stations.)

I asked if I could take home the removed batteries for my own use, which they permitted. After work, there in their lab, after sorting out the best of those used batteries, I soldered about 7 or 8 cells together in parallel, and made me an ultimate glow plug / head ignitor.

With so many cells, that "free" pack lasted me over a year, with many successful engine starts. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  --Oz-- Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:25 pm

As we all know (or should), you need to have all your ducks in a row for the motor to start.

1. good plug
2. not flooded and primed properly
3. sufficient power to light the glow plug
4. good enough plug connection, wires and battery (or source) connection

With the little cox motors and the stock semi crummy glow clip connection and tiny undersized wires is one of the bigger issues, especially after its been used a while and fuel soaked/oxidized/etc. This is exactly where constant current helps, it overcomes all these voltage drops.

I think most of the resistance I have received in posts in this thread already know how to properly have their ducks in a row and dont have item #4 issues, and some dont have an issue paying $130 for the Rcats driver.

I dislike non rechargeable batteries, 9v being the worst at $4 a pop. D cells are about 5 bucks or so a pair and do work until they dont. I recycle quite a few Li-Ion cells for free from used notebook batteries/etc, a cv/cc modules are dirt cheap, only thing left is item #4, then your set for a long while.
--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:48 pm

Some time back I had a heavy duty glow head clip similar to a fancy clothes line clip but all metal that I mounted 16 gauge lamp cord wiring to, with spade lugs to connect to a 1.5 Volt ignition battery about the size of a 6V lantern battery or the Ray-O-Vac single cell about the size of a tall steel travel mug.

There was no problem with the wire carrying the current, certainly better than the Cox factory glow plug clip that had smaller 18 or 20 gauge wiring.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  --Oz-- Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:19 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:Some time back I had a heavy duty glow head clip similar to a fancy clothes line clip but all metal that I mounted 16 gauge lamp cord wiring to, with spade lugs to connect to a 1.5 Volt ignition battery about the size of a 6V lantern battery or the Ray-O-Vac single cell about the size of a tall steel travel mug.

There was no problem with the wire carrying the current, certainly better than the Cox factory glow plug clip that had smaller 18 or 20 gauge wiring.

And with this eliminating all 3 of the voltage drops in item 4. This will save many headaches.Some don't take the time to improve or buy better item number 4.

If you look at the rcats, it can output up to 1.8v (I read), and so has a advantage for floods and I want it started NOW. And one reason peeps pay that much for it.
--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:41 pm

I found my 2 D-cell custom ignitor made from an old quality ignitor clip, 14 gauge stranded wire and a Radio Shack battery box.
Glow Plug Igniter with CONSTANT CURRENT --Oz-- - Page 3 2023-057

One battery shows sign of heavy leakage. I removed both, then used white distilled vinegar raw to neutralize and remove the dried crusted alkaline leakage. Then carefully flushed it with clean water. It cleaned up nicely.
Glow Plug Igniter with CONSTANT CURRENT --Oz-- - Page 3 2023-058

I'll have to do additional repairs as the already cracked box now has split separating the end. Once I do this, then will have a good ignitor to light off my half-A's and other engines. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:12 pm

really like the clip George! @GallopingGhostler cheers You can have all the fancy electronics in the world, but if the wiring and clip are not up to it you will have problems however you supply the current.
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  --Oz-- Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:45 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:I found my 2 D-cell custom ignitor made from an old quality ignitor clip, 14 gauge stranded wire and a Radio Shack battery box.

One battery shows sign of heavy leakage. I removed both, then used white distilled vinegar raw to neutralize and remove the dried crusted alkaline leakage. Then carefully flushed it with clean water. It cleaned up nicely.

I'll have to do additional repairs as the already cracked box now has split separating the end. Once I do this, then will have a good ignitor to light off my half-A's and other engines. Very Happy

That cleaned up well, and I like the clip. Do you know who makes it?
The short and thick wires, plus the nice clip goes along way.
Also I noticed your cell holder has the cells in parallel, did you modify it or buy it that way?
TIA
--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:58 pm

Hi George, good work Very Happy Isn't it shorted due to metal body and pivot? There must be an insulation between upper and lower parts of that clip? Huh...
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:41 am

Levent Suberk wrote:Hi George, good work Very Happy  Isn't it shorted due to metal body and pivot? There must be an insulation between upper and lower parts of that clip? Huh...
There is at least a 0.25 inch (5 mm) gap between the two ends in its relaxed state, they do not touch and short out. The photo does not do it justice.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Glow Plug Igniter with CONSTANT CURRENT --Oz-- - Page 3 Empty Yet another driver

Post  cmulder Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:52 pm

Reading about contstant voltage or current  reminded me of some modules avaiable on sites like banggood.
So got one and this is the result:
Glow Plug Igniter with CONSTANT CURRENT --Oz-- - Page 3 Dscf7529
Glow Plug Igniter with CONSTANT CURRENT --Oz-- - Page 3 Dscf7528

link to module: Dc-Dc convertor

With these modules you can limit both the voltage and current; each has a multiturn potmeter.
Started out with 1.5v at the module but the glowplug was really dimm.
Keep in mind the wire is 2.2 meters long; this is a tradition from the time i used a 2v lead cell as my first glow driver.
So when i measured the voltage at the plug it was just 0.8 volt.
Increased the voltage to 1.4 at the plug and that gave a nice bright orange .
Current is turned to max (all the way clockwise on the pot) and that is limited to 5 amp

Power can be anything between 5 and 32 volt  so a 2 cell lipo would work or in my case a 6 cell nicad (yes that old)
Keep in mind that there is no undervoltage protection so you might want to add a lipotester to your setup.

Cost for the module is about $5 as long you do not mind waiting for the slow postage. these are all over ebay ect if you want faster delivery.

Weather is [bleep] here so no run test yet.

Also mine arived defective; one side of the inductor/coil had a poor solder joint and did not make contact so check that if you choose to get one and it does not have any voltage on its output.
cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  --Oz-- Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:36 pm

cmulder wrote:Reading about contstant voltage or current  reminded me of some modules avaiable on sites like banggood.
So got one and this is the result:

What fun is that, when you can just buy a premade unit for $30 or $130?
Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel?
Just use D cell batteries.
All that was sarcastic. Laughing
Well done!

Your very lengthy cable needed a adjustment for the extra voltage drop. Also these modules are less than $2 on Ali, add a old battery and you are way ahead of buying the D alkaline batteries on the initial upfront cost and thereafter, win win.
Since they are switching buck converters, they are pretty efficient too.

What glow clip is that, do you have a name or a link?
--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Glow Plug Igniter with CONSTANT CURRENT --Oz-- - Page 3 Empty clip came with second hand items

Post  cmulder Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:40 pm

No Idea who made it or if its still avaiable .
It came with a batch of old rc things that where stored in a damp shed for about 20 years.
The yellow nicad pack was part of it too and for some reason surfived for all that time.
And yes the voltage loss was the exact reason for the long wire; the original 2 volt lead cell would burn out plugs with shorter wire.
After that i got a starter box with power panel/ glow driver that i still use.
With that a long cable is also convenient so the box can be away from the oil spray.

Also another advantage of the conveter board is that it has 3 status lights and one shows if there is current flowing.
That shows if the clip makes contact and if the plug is burned out or not.
The clear tubing around the board is so i can still see the lights and protect it from dirt and damage.
cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:27 pm

cmulder wrote:Reading about contstant voltage or current  reminded me of some modules avaiable on sites like banggood.
So got one and this is the result: .................

With these modules you can limit both the voltage and current; each has a multiturn potmeter....

The weather is [bleep] here so no run test yet...........

I've been looking at several of these, mostly on Banggood and Aliexpress, to use as a glowplug driver and for other electronic projects. For the glow driver, my inclination would be to replace the two cermets with a couple of 10 turn pots wired into an ammeter/voltmeter digital panel for use in my field box. I could change the voltage/current at will and get an idea how my plugs are doing.

Waiting to hear how yours works out.

a--
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Glow Plug Igniter with CONSTANT CURRENT --Oz-- - Page 3 Empty this is another usefull power module

Post  cmulder Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:09 pm

while not suitable as a glowplug driver this one has many other usfull hobby aplications
boost converter

Its main party trick is that it can increase the output voltage too.
For example it can generate 50 volt out from 9 volt in.
I use them most set to 12v and use any battery above 7 volt to power them.
2 are in use in 100w led floodlights to replace the broken (mains) led driver in them.
Like the other board it also has current limiting.
When bolted onto a cooling block (like a old pc cpu cooler) they can run up to 8 amp.

Last edited by cmulder on Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : did more testing)
cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  --Oz-- Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:21 pm

cmulder wrote:while not suitable as a glowplug driver this one has many other usfull hobby aplications
buck boost converter

Yea, thats a nice BOOST converter (you may want to edit your post to just say BOOST as it is not buck/boost.
--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Glow Plug Igniter with CONSTANT CURRENT --Oz-- - Page 3 Empty looks like the way i tested them was not correct.

Post  cmulder Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:34 am

--Oz-- wrote:
cmulder wrote:while not suitable as a glowplug driver this one has many other usfull hobby aplications
buck boost converter

Yea, thats a nice BOOST converter (you may want to edit your post to just say BOOST as it is not buck/boost.

Did a test WITHOUT load and found that you are correct.
Without load it passes trough the input voltage if its higer then the pre-set output voltage.
When connected to a load like a led array then the CURRENT limit function made it appear it also reduced the voltage.

SO use with caution and make sure either the input voltage is lower then the required output voltage OR limit the current when used with loads that have a constant current draw.

cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Glow Plug Igniter with CONSTANT CURRENT --Oz-- - Page 3 Empty Tried the glow driver.

Post  cmulder Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:57 pm

And can report the driver works well on the pee wee used at test subject.
The clip is another story ; to big to fit between the fins and make contact with the center contact.

AM happy with the result.
cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Glow Plug Igniter with CONSTANT CURRENT --Oz-- - Page 3 Empty also works on a golden bee

Post  cmulder Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:17 pm

Did another test run today his time a golden bee.
Glow driver worked well and starting was easy both the normal glowhead and the higer compression td style glowhead.
cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3