Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

How To Disassemble These Two Gems....... Cox_ba12

How To Disassemble These Two Gems....... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 5:08 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Levent Suberk Today at 4:04 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -June 2024-
by Davenz13 Today at 12:15 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by GallopingGhostler Today at 3:46 am

» S.M.A.L.L. 2024
by balogh Today at 12:21 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:24 pm

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2024
by roddie Yesterday at 4:10 pm

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by Cox International Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» Cox Mustang repair
by getback Yesterday at 7:29 am

» You know you’re in Branson, Missouri when
by batjac Thu May 30, 2024 10:52 am

» Cox water wizard
by 1/2A Nut Wed May 29, 2024 11:46 pm

» WenMac MkIII 049, Cox BabeBee, FOX 15X and 19 Prop Screw/Crank Threads
by roddie Wed May 29, 2024 7:34 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

How To Disassemble These Two Gems....... Empty
Live on Patrol

How To Disassemble These Two Gems.......

Go down

How To Disassemble These Two Gems....... Empty How To Disassemble These Two Gems.......

Post  NEW222 Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:20 pm

Hi all. So, I am at a point where I am tied up with my planes for the moment. I am now wanting to clean up these two engines I have. One is from the Cox Dragster, and the other from the Cox Dune Buggy. The one from the dragster is only castor locked, I think and hope. While the one from the dune buggy is what I believe siezed with rust.... Regardless, that is not currently an issue for me, at least I think. What I want to know and need help with is how on earth do I take these apart, moreso, how do I remove the 'car' parts from the front end? Once these parts are off, I am good to go from there. Whether they will go back on or not is a different story, as I would like to make drive plates for them so I can run them with propellers. ANy help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

How To Disassemble These Two Gems....... Empty Re: How To Disassemble These Two Gems.......

Post  NEW222 Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:22 pm

Oops, forgot the picture.
How To Disassemble These Two Gems....... 77406110
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

How To Disassemble These Two Gems....... Empty Re: How To Disassemble These Two Gems.......

Post  NEW222 Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:39 pm

Ok. SO a bit of searching later, I found out how to disassemble the one on teh left from the dragster. Remove screw, put in longer one, press out. The other one I am starting to think may be the same, but before doing so, I will wait a bit for confirmation.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:56 pm

If I remember correctly....remove the screw from inside the worm gear drive, you will find a “c” clip retainer to remove and slide off the pull starter. Then use the long screw to push out the crankshaft.  
Let me see if I can find a picture....here it is!
 Also, Matt at Ex-modelengines has the prop drive to use for propellers on these engines.

How To Disassemble These Two Gems....... Ff156610

Last edited by Marleysky on Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Found picture)
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:08 pm

Great, thank you. I now have something I can try out. I'll post back when I have a chance to try it!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:18 pm

NOTE: disassemble over a clean cloth, watch for those little “spring dogs “ so they don’t jump out and get lost.  Usually they are castor stuck, but sometimes not!

How To Disassemble These Two Gems....... 18f22210
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:40 pm

Had a minute during the last commercial during Live PD, so gave it a try. Well, it came apart just as you said! Thank you for the help! The hardest part was to remove that darned clip! The recoil came off very easily, and almost in many pieces and a spring too..... But I saved it. It is currently sitting on my bench waiting to be zip tied together so it does not come apart. It would be nice to keep it, but have no real use of it yet. But then again, a pull start airplane engine would be neat! Now teh second engine..... The propeller screw appears to be seized on. So will evaluate that situation carefully. I do not mind if the assembly on the front of that one falls apart, but would like to try and save it as well. reason I say that is I may use heat to remove the screw.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:58 pm

Another update. The engine on the right is disassembled now with the only thing left is the piston is seized in the cylinder. Will try heating it up tomorrow and see if it will release. The one on the left has the backplate, and exhaust deflector removed. A little heat and it is freed up. However, the 'prop screw' is still seized in the crankshaft. So, with that said, I am debating at how to continue the removal. I will not be using it in a car, so heat is an option. The other option is to cut the front gear off carefully so I can grab the screw with a set of pliers and see if I can remove it that way. But I am thinking either way, the front gear/fan assembly will no longer be of any good. Any other ideas will be more than welcomed. This is the hardest one I have had to disassemble yet! The other thing with this one is that the white postage stamp backplate has been slightly melted where the exhaust deflector/shield was at the top behind the cylinder.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:58 am

A good pre-disassembly kerosene soaking is probably in order for the rusty one.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:00 am

Both of these engines are non SPI set ups and would probably make a good starting point for Texaco duration engines.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:56 am

Ok. Will try to get some kerosene to soak in.

As of now, the first one is completely disassembled. I put the piston and cylinder assembly back in the crankcase and carefully used a short piece of dowel that filled the cylinder and gave it a couple very light taps (more like letting the mallet fall on its own approximately 2") with a small rubber mallet and the piston dropped out almost instantly. I will shortly be putting this one in a nitro engine fluid bath for a quick cleaning. And after that, I will have to look into finding a prop hub for the tapered crankshaft, or make another as I had done once before.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

How To Disassemble These Two Gems....... Empty Got it apart!!!!!!!!!!!

Post  NEW222 Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:26 pm

Well, finally, I managed to get the front hub/flywheel off of the second engine. However, it is no longer usable. I was able to grind some of the front of it off to get a grip of the screw with a pair of pliers. Wonce ready, I gripped the solid metal hub in the vice and used a pair of pliers to remove the screw. once freed up, I reinstalled the screw and tried pressing it out in the vice with a wooden block on the rear of the crankcase. I thought it was going well, then I went to remove the screw and saw the threads were 'pressed' off of the screw. So I came in and grabbed a new screw and used it and it popped the flywheel right off, albeit a bit sticky. So both engines are now ready for a bath. The only thing I found different with this engine is that the front splines on the crankshaft are of a larger diameter than I am used to seeing. So, I will have to figure out what kind of prop drive plate I need for this one as I do not think I can make one like this. If I cannot find one, I at least got a postage stamp backplate and piston/cylinder set that I can save for the day I need one!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:07 pm

This is the last engine I had that would not come apart no matter what. I got [bleep] and cut it up McCoy 19

How To Disassemble These Two Gems....... Dsc01011
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:13 pm

I hereby nominate your for the Prison Workshop Project of Year Award.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:56 pm

ticomareado wrote:I hereby nominate your for the Prison Workshop Project of Year Award.

Lol!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:53 am

ticomareado wrote:I hereby nominate your for the Prison Workshop Project of Year Award.

The McCoy 19 was out of a well run tether car, the fuel used left what looked like black epoxy. I crank pin was stuck in the rod and rotary valve. All I needed was the crank and front housing.
I found a replacement engine made for air models and changed the crank and front casing. My prison project when finished.

How To Disassemble These Two Gems....... Dsc01012

How To Disassemble These Two Gems....... Dsc01013
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:56 am

Bravo!! Excelentisimo!! Your sentence has been commuted.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:54 am

Wow, does that ever look sharp!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:34 am

A member here had it for sale, said it belonged to his Dad. Wanted it to have a good home. It had been run hard and repainted.
He never posted after. Was lucky the body had no cracks.
How To Disassemble These Two Gems....... Dsc00914

How To Disassemble These Two Gems....... Dsc01014

Sorry for the hijack.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down