Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Big Box made it. Cox_ba12

Big Box made it. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Today at 3:17 pm

» audio-tach anyone?
by roddie Today at 2:58 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 2:43 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by 1/2A Nut Today at 1:58 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Today at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 10:26 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Big Box made it. Empty
Live on Patrol

Big Box made it.

Go down

Big Box made it. Empty Big Box made it.

Post  944_Jim Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:41 pm

OK FredVon, you have made me blush!

I'll PM after my son and I get through with "Post Beautification" excersizes. We are trying to beat the rain.

Thanks,
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Big Box made it. Empty Re: Big Box made it.

Post  944_Jim Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:36 pm

Fred Von and Ron Cribbs...you guys are something else!
I don't know what this is called, but for for size comparison it is easily twice as big as my normal stuff. That is a Babe Bee on top!

Clearly this is my step into bigger, more stunt worthy aircraft.
I do have questions for Fred, so I'll track you down by PM for your email address.

The last time I got a CL airplane for Christmas I was almost six years old...48 years ago. My dad got the Cox Stuka. We set out to fly it later Christmas day. He managed to light off the engine. I don't remember holding the plane. I do remember the 1/2 lap on the ground, the immediate and extreme climb, and the faster dive right into the pavement. Almost a wingover, but not quite. That engine got put up for the next several years, and later stripped for parts (who knew how valuable that NVA would become). A Cox Baja Bug was presented to me on my sixth birthday.

Fred, this one won't crash like that!
Merry early Christmas...thanks much!

Big Box made it. Img_2188
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:38 pm

Yikes, Jim. I could(did) spend a while just staring at the picture.
Gorgeous!
Ron and Fred, Well Done Sirs.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:42 am

Super Christmas Jim , you got something to play with now !! Way to go Fred and Ron !!! This Site Rocks! What's the size on that power plant ?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:50 am

First and foremost, I had nothing to do with this. I was just a go between, this is all Fred’s doing.

What you have there is a Ukey .35 An excellent CL trainer. The engine appears to be a Fox .35 so 5-10% nitro and 22-29% oil is the acceptable range. I prefer 22% 50/50 castor/synth.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  David S Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:40 am

I had a Cox Stuka plane too. It flew good until one day one of the control lines seperated and it went straight down into the ground!About the only part still good was the engine,and I also broke it up for parts!!! I would like too buy another Stuka plane some day.
David S
David S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:43 am

Jim...porsche..944 ( I assume the ref is correct)

The Ukie 35 is an ARF semi mass produced in the USA By Tom Dixon....no web site I am aware of

Tom Dixon
Controline Sales LLC
315 Santa Anita Ave
Woodstock, GA 30189
Phone 770 592-3279

The Fox 35 and muffler are new and never run....You will need to make or buy a bench engine stand, find a quart of 5%~10% N with anywhere from 22%~25% oil...any castor synth mix will be ok...OIL is like a religion to some...When it comes to Fox 35s it is a serious religion....

Seek out Ken Cook and Ron Cribs and do what they say to break in and feed that Fox 35....you do that engine right, and it will pass to your grand kids

I see that the reel of control line did not get in the box sorry...I meant to send as near a turn key system as possible

So you need 7 strand steel ( or fishing line equivalent) .012 or .015 control lines 58 to 65 feet long....

You asked about glue in the PM. The way that ARF was designed you can use what you are comfortable with or have on hand...Epoxy, Thick and thin CA, Gorilla PU foaming crap (I hate except for certain things) TiteBond II II or whatever wood glue you like and have

If I were you I would get ahold of Phil Cartier and have him sell you one Rugged Stunt Trainer (RST) and a spare set of wings...Also find and buy one or more OS LA 25, OS FP 20 ABN version ( not the iron line older ones)

http://home.earthlink.net/~philcartier/webcat/pricelist.html
The Core House
34 Sweet Arrow Dr.
Hummelstown, PA 17036

phone: 717-566-3810 6-10 pm EST

Tom Dizon and Phil Cartier are old guys.... they do business on the phone, some by email and neither has a website worth a hoot
I have dozens of hours just chatting with them on the phone....do not be bashful and do use my name if you feel like it...I get no discount...just more karma

Basically I saw posts where you were frustrated with Control line 1/2a size...ME too
I learned that 35 sized planes ( while a tad more expensive in cost and time) were infinitely easier to fly in a circle to get confidence and then play with figure 9 stunts ( my pun cuz I am very good at that maneuver)

Buy in a bit steep but I believe the future and in many cases think going electric is good idea...Brodak Electric Ringmaster is worth the bucks IMO

Ask all your question on this UKEY 35 here in this thread.... nobody lurking learns from you and I private messaging

Fred

If you don't know Santa Fred....MY reward is YOU pay it forward when you can-- someday...I sent you this gift cuz I need the karma...grin

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:01 pm

Jeesche, a guy can't even take a day off here, and I have no idea as to what's going on. Serves me right for not paying attention.

Page 1, seems Freddy made Jim blush and Ron had something to do with it.

Big red plane shows up with a tiny engine on top......thinking maybe Freddy sent Jim an airplane for some unknown reason maybe at Ron's behest.

Everyone is happy for Jim, Ron, and Fred and a Stuka becomes a lawn dart.

Been raining here today.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:21 pm

Boys and toy trains, Bob!

Fred,
I found the manual at Mecoa. Upon reviewing the manual, I can blend my 56%M/22%N//10%S/12%C to thin down the nitro with my stash of straight methanol. This is good, since I also have a stash of castor, which will thin out the synthetic lube a good bit. I still need to run the numbers but I bet it will be close to 4:1 castor/synthetic. The manual indicates 10x6 props...6 are on the way (thanks RCGroups classifieds).
I spent a few hours too early this morning, and found several sites regarding this model. It has a bit of a heritage and following!
http://www.tulsacl.com/UkeyTips.html
I also read about the line length and size, and I believe I have a pre-made spool of the right size and length. I'll check my hobby closet first thing in the morning.
I plan on starting engine break-in on my stand this week. This should be funny since the largest engines I had on it were my Norvel .074s! While the manual indicates I can fly right out of the box, I prefer to learn a new engine "off-plane."
I sure am glad I never sold a starter that landed on my lap several years back. That nice, red Hobbico should spin this Fox just fine. I doubt my Sullivan Hornet could pop over TDC. However, I do plan to try the manual finger before I give in to the electric finger...and yes, I have a BIG chicken stick. No way would I want to get fingers near the lawn mower blade a Fix .35 can swing!
The launch of my Big Plane (pun alert-launch Very Happy ) conversion will be documented here, unless y'all think this is thinning the Cox flavor of the forum.
No, I'm not giving up on my punies, just expanding my horizon! Look out Shug Emery, I'm on my way...
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:30 am

COX ENGINES BE THE THEME THAT BRINGS US ALL HERE TO CEF.

BUT every one here dabbles in all sorts of hobbies
Pickle or hot pepper canning
Collecting motorcycles
Restoring crap British cars
Way too many rifles to clean in a year without three nephews and five grandkids
3D RC helicopter freaques
Collecting and repairing old 8 track tape players

so the occasional Fox or OS or Enya powered, non 1/2a, build and maiden is just fine on CEF

Please do not feed a new Fox 35 more than 10~12 % Nitro.....do have 22~28% oil ----many will insist the oil must be all castor or mostly castor with smidgeon of synth...many wise Fox 35 guys use store bought 10 x 22...... 10N and 22 oil at 50/50 ratio in the oil

I am a many many many HEAT CYCLE break in guy ....others are some known quantity of fuel break in.

On the Fox 35 I bet Ron Cribbs and Ken Cook know a lot more than I do so seek their advice on that engine

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:23 am

Fred, certainly good advice on fuel. New unrun versions can be problematic especially initial starts. The Fox likes to be real wet and a new engine can load up rather quickly. I saw mention of a starter, I would resist the temptation to use one at all.The Fox wasn't designed for starter use and it could do damage to the already fragile rod not to mention the front of the case and the backplate.

I also recommend break in without the muffler if possible. The blimp style muffler is poor in design and retains too much heat. The stinger either needs to be cut off or opened as large as physically possible which usually results in it cracking thus requiring it to be cut off. The early blimp style mufflers came with roll pins to hold it together, these quickly shook out and the muffler fell apart. The later versions used sheet metal screws which can do the same. I highly recommend applying some JB weld over the heads or epoxy to prevent them from falling out..

The stock Fox needle leaves a lot to be desired and they're very susceptible to air leaking around the needle valve threads. Cutting small donuts of various lengths from a light 1/4" to 3/8" and placing them on the needle valve is also required . Finding the correct length until you get the needle set may be in order. A Master Airscrew 9x6 is a good break in prop running in a mild 2 stroke but not too rich.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:46 am

Thanks Mr. Ken,

I basically need to consider this engine a big Cox then. My intent is to bench break-in.
I heard "no electric finger, no muffler, slightly wet 2 cycle"
How long should I bench run it? This engine looks to be brand-new!
Will this engine tolerate Methanol/oil  FAI-type fuel (no nitro) during break-in?
How loud is it without a muffler? (Gotta respect my neighbors  Smile )

I already read all threads Ukie-35 on RCU, SH, and CLStunt. Looks like flying without a muffler may be worth the CG shift according to the Ukie-35 thread I linked to earlier above.
Mecoa has the manual...now I do too!

I've been running wide open at work. Last week was 47 hours, with Thanksgiving off. The only reason this week will be the same only because I have my last National Guard drill. Boss is required to let me attend. I guess my military affiliation is the only reason I haven't lived in the office daily for the last two months. For that reason alone I may miss drilling...and only that reason!

I may start break-in Sunday, weather permitting.

Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom!

Last edited by 944_Jim on Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Saw a missed detail.)
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:32 pm

Jim.....the 35 will be loud...but...neighbors put up with lawn mowers, weed eaters, and chainsaws during woke hours....you running the Fox will be annoying but normal daily noise

So I said I personally believe in many heat cycles...that means: start...up to operating temp, some load for several seconds, peak briefly, back to wet 2 stroke, kill and let cool to room temp...repeat 4 or 5 time for ABN/ABC....5 to 7 times for iron liner engines....

This may get arguments..cool....feeding and using any year Fox engine is a serious religion....seriously....follow the advice of who you most BELIEVE IN....AND PLEASE dUKE FOX IS THE VERY LAST PERSON TO TRUST*

* I still have a bag of Duke Fox magic pixie dust to help break in your Fox engine.....

sorry...cryptic I know....but you will have to ask

grin

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:52 pm

Fred,

I've been reading old Fox threads for quite some time...the Pixie dust reference is understood!
You mentioned paying forward. I'm always trying to promote the hobby. My brand new boss (only three weeks) is from the New England area. He sounds like so many of my dear old friends. He actually came running to my cubicle just after I fired up the coffee maker with Dunkin Donuts coffee..."Hey, is that Dunkies?" Sure, Boss. Have a cup...then I found out he and his household are all craftspeople of one type or another.

Boss saw the CL model pictures and started asking questions. That was last week. I've brought several of my models to work, presented full size plans for the Lil Satan, Stunt Chimp, and a few others. We've.covered the build costs and efforts involved in building the Sig Akromaster at one end, and the Deweybird at the other. Then emailed him links to my YouTube videos. He has taken in all this information, done his own research, and presented the hobby to his son. He says the 14 yo boy is excited by a new hobby,.and he wants something besides a tablet or phone in front of the kid. I remember trying this with my boys three years ago. So here I go again!

While Boss/Dad wants to go the Akromaster route, he really believes "we" need to introduce his 14 yo son to flying and building very quickly. If weather permits, this weekend we'll take the Mosquito up. I'll let the boy fly one of my son's Scientifics too.
That Babe Bee is getting refreshed, and handed off with paint, fuel, flying gear, building assistance, and a headstart to hopefully bringing a new pilot to the circle! If the boy is like the dad, then there will be an Akromaster being built in their house soon. Who knows? Maybe my little flying club will grow 300% in the next few months!
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:06 am

That sounds great Jim , i can see /hear your excitement . Allways good to get new people in the crowd of modeling . This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down