Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

My layout as it progresses - Page 2 Cox_ba12

My layout as it progresses - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by akjgardner Today at 5:37 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:45 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by GallopingGhostler Today at 2:34 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 12:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 12:24 pm

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by duaneh Today at 11:48 am

» Internet buy
by Ken Cook Today at 9:15 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by GallopingGhostler Today at 8:26 am

» Sherline lathe wont run
by getback Today at 7:15 am

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 7:38 pm

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2022
by roddie Yesterday at 5:59 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 11:12 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

My layout as it progresses - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

My layout as it progresses

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

My layout as it progresses - Page 2 Empty Re: My layout as it progresses

Post  getback Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:34 am

rsv1cox wrote:
getback wrote:Heck that's cheaper than Cox engines , even Baby Bee's Very Happy Nice touch !! This Site Rocks!

Price is going down Eric.  Just picked this one up on ebay for $5.00.  Maybe lightning will strike twice and this one also will be a smooth runner.

My layout as it progresses - Page 2 Ahm_ri11
Thats a nice looking train for the money can't beat it , I may have to look into some smaller gauge stuff to entertain Laughing
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My layout as it progresses - Page 2 Empty Hey Bob!

Post  fredvon4 Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:36 am

Got an idea what I might do with NEXT 20 years

Ron is on it
You are on it

I will get on it

seems a few other CEfers might be on it....Roddie, Eric

but we need to step up the creativity

I am super critical of this work in progress...just due to my OCD BUT this guy and his basement L diorama sparked a LOT of ideas

Made me immediately think how much more BOB could invest...wink. grin, evil

https://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=172908
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:34 pm

He sure did stick a lot of stuff in a very small place.  Nicely done for the most part.  I have some of the facilities that he incorporated. If I have I problem with it, it's because the buildings and businesses dominate at the expense of the railroad.  With me it's the locomotives and railroads that I want to feature.  Maintenance buildings, switchman shacks, control towers, etc.,  But the beauty of the hobby is, there are no wrong solutions, what ever suits your individual fancy goes.  

With me as with model airplanes it's the engines that dominate.  Same holds true in my model railroading.   I love motion be it diesel (PA's, FT's), pure electric (GG-1), or steam (Mallets, Berkshires, Mikados) nothing like watching side rods and valve gears do their thing at full speed be it model or real thing.  

Son over today and we hung the fourth display.  I just stuck some engines in it to get them off the table but eventually each will have a theme.  I have enough engines to fill several but just enough wall space for two more without going completely nuts.

My layout as it progresses - Page 2 P6120012
My layout as it progresses - Page 2 P6120010
My layout as it progresses - Page 2 P6120011

Mostly I enjoy buying old dirty or non-functioning engines and cleaning them up.

My layout as it progresses - Page 2 P6110011
My layout as it progresses - Page 2 P6110010

Notice the coupler installed upside down.  I find a lot like this.

Love the railcar Levent.  I printed it out and trying to figure a way to paste it on to one of my box cars.

Thanks all for your comments.

OBTW - That $5.00 black Penn Central engine above is a dud.  All of the brush tension mechanism is missing.  Win some, lose some.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:47 pm

Bob sparked my childhood a bit

My poor writing failed

Eric got jazzed by Bob and bought MY childhood train set a Lionel O-27 oval typical of all Christmas Train sets for around the tree

I posted photos of a box I built to store the Lionel train set* and Lincoln logs sets plus stockings and some ornaments

No grands this year so I did not un package and setup the 1990s Pennsylvania Flyer* that is real close to my 1959 version ......I bet my dad paid Sears about 23 bucks...I paid Hobby Lobby $259

Seems with my new RV shed remodel I will have room for l shape like Bob but will model 3D like Ron....my oh my is

O scale Lionel stuff pricey......

long range project....never bee as fast as Bob orr Ron......but the venue is

my enclosed RV shed(think just a long Tall carport)....15 tall....15 wide.....41 long...electric and AC coming...spring...already spray foamed interior.....ouch!!!!!....doors n  windows.....so reloading n trains....hell yes     woooo woooo

D
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:01 pm

Fred, you poppin' Geritol??????????

You sound and write a whole lot better than you did a couple of months ago.

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:53 am

too much Jack perhaps....one hand 2 finger hunt n pluck.....lots of backspacing....lots of mouse spell check clicks

even mildly anesthetized by alcohol, my brain is mostly coherent....left hand too palsy to let anywhere near a keyboard or running engine

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:15 am

Yeah but your gainin'. you took a pretty good (couple of) hits there.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:12 am

my enclosed RV shed(think just a long Tall carport)....15 tall....15 wide.....41 long...electric and AC coming...spring...already spray foamed interior.....ouch!!!!!....doors n windows.....so reloading n trains....hell yes woooo woooo wrote:
That sounds like a nice little stretch of shed , you should bee able to fit some Choo Choo time in there . Heat and A/C too shoot there is a home away from home and place to spend some ME time . Look forward to seeing the set up ! Rudolph
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My layout as it progresses - Page 2 Empty TRAIN SALE!

Post  Marleysky Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:18 pm

Coming to the Showcase Store near me....also the site of the traveling “knife and gun” show.My layout as it progresses - Page 2 1903d410

Bob and Ron is there anything on your “wish lists” I should or could look for you??
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:49 am

Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut are the three states where most of my recently acquired locomotives have come from. Must be big model railroad country there.

Anything Boston and Maine and Illinois Central suits me. But, I have had to come to a screeching halt buying anything. I am a long way from being a hoarder reading about collectors with garages full of model trains but I'm getting closer.

For weeks now I have lusted after Rivarossi's New York Central's Stream lined Hudson and Casey Jones locomotives both running well over $100 apiece. Last week I found both on ebay for around forty dollars apiece, snatched them up and found two more BIN for the same price. Four altogether.

The gem is the Casey Jones. A pert little 4-6-0 engine in which Ol' Casey met his maker.

Jonathan Luther "Casey" Jones (March 14, 1863 – April 30, 1900)[1] from Jackson, Tennessee, was an American railroader who worked for the Illinois Central Railroad (IC). He was killed on April 30, 1900, when his train collided with the caboose of a stalled freight train near Vaughan, Mississippi. His dramatic death while trying to stop his train and save the lives of his passengers made him a folk hero; he was immortalized in a popular ballad sung by his friend Wallace Saunders, an African-American engine wiper for the IC.[2][3]
Jones was born near Cayce, Kentucky, where he acquired the nickname of "Cayce", which he chose to spell as "Casey."

Johnny Cash………………..

https://www.bing.com/search?q=jhonney+cash+casey+jones&form=WNSGPH&qs=SW&cvid=1f85041a99f546e38800543dac933d89&pq=jhonney+cash+casey+jones&cc=US&setlang=en-US&PC=HCTS&nclid=D3444C275672C9AFE0C45280498689C7&ts=1577627052178&wsso=Moderate

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:52 pm

Wow. What a history that Mr. Casey Jones had. I had to search it and read it.

Can be seen here:
Casey Jones History
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:52 pm

NEW222 wrote:Wow. What a history that Mr. Casey Jones had. I had to search it and read it.

Can be seen here:
Casey Jones History

I read about him when I was a kid. A stamp was issued in his honor, I may have a first day of issue. Know I have the stamp.

My layout as it progresses - Page 2 Casey_10

New picture of my layout. Doesn't look much different but it is.

Wired in my last two turnouts (track switchers) for the figure 8 spurs, kept them separate. Eighteen switches in all, most I have ever had.

My layout as it progresses - Page 2 P1010124
My layout as it progresses - Page 2 P1010125

It's a jungle under there. Eventually I will tie them all off and label them....eventually.

My layout as it progresses - Page 2 P1010126
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:18 pm

Just commenting to use Hot Wheels cars for the layout. But I learn that HO scale for cars is 1/64 and NMRA HO scale for trains is 1/87. So Hot Wheels cars are a little oversized for HO train layout. But anyway I think that small cars of Hot Wheels can be used for diorama.
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:30 pm

Levent Suberk wrote:Just commenting to use Hot Wheels cars for the layout. But I learn that HO scale for cars is 1/64 and NMRA HO scale for trains is 1/87. So Hot Wheels cars are a little oversized for HO train layout. But anyway I think that small cars of Hot Wheels can be used for diorama.

I have been thinking about that Levent, only with model planes. This one is outsized, but I like it. I have seen layouts with model planes on pedestals that rotate about 2' above the layout.

My layout as it progresses - Page 2 P1010127

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:37 am

That's a wiring mess LOL So ur going to incorporate some model airplanes in there ? Why not use what you have in stock if its going to appear to bee a big pterodactyl in the sky , you could always build ur own miniature planes from balsa !?! Rudolph
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:30 am

Considering all the switches and how most don't know that powering track either DC or AC or Digital control AC is very complicated to keep polarity oriented in front of and after the switches....

This one facet of designing a track layout, I might model, will probably be my personal nemesis

off to watch UNSTOPPABLE a Denzel movie I like....filmed near RSV1 Bob

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:20 pm

fredvon4 wrote:Considering all the switches and how most don't know that powering track either DC or AC or Digital control AC is very complicated to keep polarity oriented in front of and after the switches....

This one facet of designing a track layout, I might model, will probably be my personal nemesis

off to watch UNSTOPPABLE a Denzel movie I like....filmed near RSV1 Bob

Yeah, just when I think I'm out, this thing pulls me back in again.

Thought it would be nice to build in a spur where I could store cars or bypass a slower train. Thought I could just wire it in, common rail and an insulated rail. Not so, another reverse loop as it doubles back on itself. Already running 3 reverse loops off a single switch and transformer so have to wire in a double pole double throw switch and another transformer to accommodate.

From my nice clean organized layout yesterday to this today:

My layout as it progresses - Page 2 P1010129
My layout as it progresses - Page 2 P1010130
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:58 pm

OK Bob, my mind is boggled. I have a hard time keeping my watch wound.
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:15 pm

I agree. Seeing this go together makes me dizzy too. Until these threads, I had honestly thought they were all simply circles or loops all different. Not thinking of switching tracks and such. Let alone powering up tracks with transformers and such! I give everyone here a lot of credit for doing these displays, and taking us along with them for the ride.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:38 pm

Looks great Bob, WELL DONE!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:48 am

Coming along with all those tools laid out something is definitely happening . Chancey i have no idea what all the rev. track system is all about when it comes to wiring! Got me a Pink caboose coming if nothing else for the coupler thatsa broken on mine and it was cheap!  My layout as it progresses - Page 2 Screen40
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:13 am

Pink stinks Eric. Get out your airbrush and paint it rustic red. Great buy though. Anything Lionel for that price is unheard of.

But years ago I found a whole box of transformers including Lionel's for $20 at Good Will. Saved them for years before throwing most of them away. Saved a few including a MRC copper box that I just integrated into my model railroad.

My layout as it progresses - Page 2 Good_w10
My layout as it progresses - Page 2 Good_w11
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:00 pm

Ok. Bob. So how many of those do you actually need on a track setup like yours? Do you need one per track, or is there an area that each would be able to handle? Sorry for teh novice questions, but this is just something I know NOTHING about. All I know is that everything I see looks great, and all who are actually doing it are doing a great job. Kudos to you all!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:35 pm

People here give me way to much credit for this project Chancey.  Of all the talented people on this forum I am probably the least qualified to pull this off.  This stuff is simple.

Why?  Atlas products.  Just about everything is made by Atlas.  Track, both flex and sectional, switches, turnouts, controllers, selectors, even the track nails are Atlas.  Application directions are printed on the back of each item.  If you can read, you can make the most complicated layout.

All those turnout switches are just three wires, center wire is always common, side wires switch polarity as commanded by the momentary contact switches to either mainline or turnout be it right or left.  Be it one switch or 20 like I have the procedure is the same.  

My layout as it progresses - Page 2 P1010131

The "Controller" (Red, green, and gray switches) receives voltage (0-18VDC (variable)) from the transformers to "Cab A and Cab B" which through a series of switches send it to the "Connector(s)" green switches which connects either cab A or cab B to a certain block of track which is isolated from other track blocks by an insulator on the "hot" track and the "common" track which is common throughout the layout except for the reverse loops which are completely isolated through the use of two track insulators.  This is the infamous "reverse loop" thing where you cannot have a positive and negative voltage meet.   This reverse loop is controlled by the gray switch on the controller and aligns the correct voltage when locomotives cross that intersection.  

The yellow switches are just on/off switches used to control track lighting and some accessories.  

My layout as it progresses - Page 2 P1010132

But this thing is really, really done this time.  No way I can stuff another block of track in there.  I'm beginning to think of it now as a massive rail/manufacturing yard  with maybe a small town stuck in there someplace.  Got to landscape it now.  Months.

Simple.

Oh yeah,  I wired in a third transformer so I can run three trains at the same time.  It actually controls the spur (siding) that I just added and eliminated the need for a second controller.  I just use the direction switches to match polarity when entering/exiting the spur.  There are actually four reverse loops in there which means that any train is not restricted to just doing a circle. Each track can be doubled back upon itself allowing for a whole lot of possibilities.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My layout as it progresses - Page 2 Empty UK Bartons web site....has interesting topics too

Post  fredvon4 Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:35 am

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next