Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Jetex engine - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Jetex engine - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 10:22 am

» audio-tach anyone?
by getback Today at 9:53 am

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by fit90 Today at 7:34 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by getback Today at 6:19 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Yesterday at 2:54 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Yesterday at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 pm

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Jetex engine - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Jetex engine

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Jetex engine - Page 2 Empty Re: Jetex engine

Post  getback Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:13 am

I seen that recipe for fuel on ebay , the guy i bought some fuse from would never return my messages , i had asked if i sent him a small piece of the fuse required if he would see if he could produce some and there is a market for it as i explained to him ... Sad
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:46 am

I have to ask what the asbestos paper is for. I just use aluminum muffler tape and nothing more to protect the model. My Mig is lined with aluminum foil as that's all that's needed. Lighting the fuse is more dangerous to the model than the engine itself. Waterglass liquid works and no fear of asbestos not too mention it weighs less.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:28 pm

Just returned from the flying field. Today's Jetex launch was scrubbed. Winds were over the top bad. I had 3 Jetex planes with me scheduled for 12:00 flight. Not only was it windy, it was cold as could be even flurrying. I managed to get one flight on the Drone Diesel .29 converted to glow. I've always started the year off flying this one since I purchased it years ago.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:19 pm

fredvon4 wrote:asked       where do I get asbestos paper?

I know a tongue in cheek ask....but I gotta respond anyway....If you are smart, you don't!

There are a few ways to fire / heat proof areas of our craft....black high temp RTV is surprisingly heat proof but not fire proof...so put a layer of metal foil over the RTV

The risks of asbestos have been greatly exaggerated by the media  [and I am a chemist/biochemist by training]   In anycase as has been stated, self adhesive aluminium foil (which wouldn't have been available in the heyday of Jetex (the 50s)  is a better option. another alternative is mica-which you can find in just about any old domestic toaster-its the support the toasting element is wound on.

As regards the composition of Jetex fuel-the proportions and components were a well guarded secret-but the major component was guanidine nitrate.....you'll note in the reference below that it even gets specifically mentioned in regard to Jetex...                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guanidine_nitrate

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:37 am

Yesterday was rain and very wet conditions but the temps were very nice. Today would be optimal to try again but unfortunately I have other obligations. I have 3 engines loaded and I don't like leaving the pellets in them as I have experienced corrosion issues with the fuel pellets on the cases. Once fired, it's a must to use a plumbers fitting brush and clean out the residue. A piece of Scotchbrite works very well to clean as well. The newer Jet-X is worse in terms of oxidation, it's extremely difficult to open the engine once fired and the pellets really oxidize all aluminum portions of the engine. The Jet-X utilizes a all aluminum body whereas the Jetex 50 I have is all steel. Jetex underwent many variants over the years to all steel, half steel and also aluminum casings and nozzles such as the Psst .50.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:59 am

A friend just gifted me a used #50B engine complete with instructions, bracket and box, but no pellets, fuse or ash screens. They were made in Scotland and imported back in the day by American Telasco, Ltd. in Huntington, NY (no zip). I wonder if Ian knows how to procure the consumables for these.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:10 pm

I am afraid I don't know any source of pellets for these aside from scouring Fleabay for old stocks.

I did have one of these in the late 1960s and rember that you had to scrape the coating of the face of the pellets to get a successful burn. The fuse supplied wasn't often long enough and so be used magnesium ribbon (not recommended).

We even used the powder from fireworks rockets instead of pellets but that didn't last long at all and had no oomph.

The last experiment was with aluminium oxide and we melted the case!

There is a Jetex followers site

https://www.jetex.org/index.php/faq

Never had a successful flight with one but did power a boat and a car.

Following that we removed the stick from a fireworks rocket and stuffed it in a cigar tube. Again not recommended, we were lucky to not start a fire - well, actually, we were lucky to be able to put one out!

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:15 pm

Ian, I did manage to get 3 flights 2 weeks ago. Nothing to brag about, the plane wasn't trimmed properly so it banked left and went in. Under power it was working. I wasn't certain as to what to expect and I was using only one pellet. Ideally, the one burns approximately 7 seconds. It seemed more like 5 to me so I should've put in two pellets as this would've gained altitude and the plane would've recovered on it's banking turn. I did get some video but there's some unacceptable language on it. I have mentioned to my flying partners to refrain from using it when were trying to make a video. I can't wait for another chance at making another attempt.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2