Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

"Reedie" Cox venturi gasket tip Cox_ba12

"Reedie" Cox venturi gasket tip Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» audio-tach anyone?
by roddie Today at 11:14 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 10:22 am

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by fit90 Today at 7:34 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by getback Today at 6:19 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Yesterday at 2:54 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Yesterday at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 pm

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

"Reedie" Cox venturi gasket tip Empty
Live on Patrol

"Reedie" Cox venturi gasket tip

Go down

"Reedie" Cox venturi gasket tip Empty "Reedie" Cox venturi gasket tip

Post  SuperDave Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:35 am

You may make your own venturi gasket by cutting a thin slice off the appropriate sized fuel tubing. Be sure to remove the remnants of the old one with a pin then press the "gasket" that you made into place.

The venturi gasket is an often overlooked item in "refreshing" a Cox.

SuperDave
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

"Reedie" Cox venturi gasket tip Empty Re: "Reedie" Cox venturi gasket tip

Post  nitroairplane Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:45 am

SuperDave wrote:You may make your own venturi gasket by cutting a thin slice off the appropriate sized fuel tubing. Be sure to remove the remnants of the old one with a pin then press the "gasket" that you made into place.

The venturi gasket is an often overlooked item in "refreshing" a Cox.

SuperDave

That's great why didn't i think of that :-)
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:09 am

For folks who have not yet had the "pleasure" of running across this problem, a leaky gasket will cause fuel to be drawn into the venturi. Most times, you can adjust your needle to get the engine to run fine...until the fuel level drops below the venturi. At that point the engine will go lean...hopefully enough to stop it.

It usually leaves you wondering why the run was so short.

SuperDave's solution is an excellent one. Some say that a razor blade is the best device to slice the tubing. It may take you several tries to get a good straight cut.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:11 am

could a vegetable slicer not be used to get a consistant straight cut?
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:26 am

nitroairplane wrote:could a vegetable slicer not be used to get a consistant straight cut?

I guess but I use an Exacto #11 blade which I have on hand on my bench.

Messing with my wife's vegetable slicer spells T-R-O-U-B-L-E! I learned this long ago when I used one of her kniting needles for modeling purposes. Mad Mad Mad

SuperDave
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:30 am

SuperDave wrote:
nitroairplane wrote:could a vegetable slicer not be used to get a consistant straight cut?

I guess but I use an Exacto #11 blade which I have on hand on my bench.

Messing with my wife's vegetable slicer spells T-R-O-U-B-L-E! I learned this long ago when I used one of her kniting needles for modeling purposes. Mad Mad Mad

SuperDave

many of us have learned this the hard way i learned when i used the metal cupcake foil things to mix small batches of diesel in this got me in trouble even though they are disposable and only cost £1 per 50.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:51 am

"Wisdom borne of pain"

SuperDave
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:25 pm

gcb wrote:
SuperDave's solution is an excellent one. Some say that a razor blade is the best device to slice the tubing. It may take you several tries to get a good straight cut.
George

Find a piece of brass tubing that will slip snugly over the fuel tubing. It doesn't need to be long, just a half inch or so, but be sure one end has been cut square and filed smooth. To get the fuel tubing into the brass tube, slice one end off at a long angle so it may be pushed thru the brass far enough to grab. Pull the tubing through so only a small bit remains showing, then use the brass tubing as a cutting guide. I've found I can cut very thin gaskets this way. The snug fit will keep the fuel tubing from flattening out during the cut and leaving a little nub on one side of the gasket. A new double edge razor blade works well --- it's very thin and very sharp.

The venturi gasket is one of the most overlooked failure points in these engines. The gasket deforms over time, takes set or may get lost. It can be one of the most aggrevating problems to fix if you're not aware it has started to leak.

andrew
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:19 pm

andrew wrote:
gcb wrote:
George

Find a piece of brass tubing that will slip snugly over the fuel tubing. It doesn't need to be long, just a half inch or so, but be sure one end has been cut square and filed smooth. To get the fuel tubing into the brass tube, slice one end off at a long angle so it may be pushed thru the brass far enough to grab. Pull the tubing through so only a small bit remains showing, then use the brass tubing as a cutting guide. I've found I can cut very thin gaskets this way. The snug fit will keep the fuel tubing from flattening out during the cut and leaving a little nub on one side of the gasket. A new double edge razor blade works well --- it's very thin and very sharp.

The venturi gasket is one of the most overlooked failure points in these engines. The gasket deforms over time, takes set or may get lost. It can be one of the most aggrevating problems to fix if you're not aware it has started to leak.

andrew

I like that cutting guide tube, thanks. That may make a better gasket than the ones we buy from our suppliers. They have odd shapes and I always compare a few before I select one. I always get a few spare o-rings for $.99 with every order, but I'm going to use some of the soft clear silicone fuel line next time. I am also going to check the fit of the short black tubes like the ones for the PT-19 tank. They cost $.99 for a lot more material.

"Reedie" Cox venturi gasket tip Th_image"Reedie" Cox venturi gasket tip Th_049Tubing3

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:06 am

RknRusty wrote:
andrew wrote:
gcb wrote:
George

andrew

I like that cutting guide tube, thanks. That may make a better gasket than the ones we buy from our suppliers. They have odd shapes and I always compare a few before I select one. I always get a few spare o-rings for $.99 with every order, but I'm going to use some of the soft clear silicone fuel line next time. I am also going to check the fit of the short black tubes like the ones for the PT-19 tank. They cost $.99 for a lot more material.

"Reedie" Cox venturi gasket tip Th_image"Reedie" Cox venturi gasket tip Th_049Tubing3

That is because the tubing us stores in large amounts so holds it cylindrical shape whereas the gaskets are stores as they are sold and that means they are prone changing shape.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:12 am

Any way you "cut it" I'm glad that you like the idea that I suggested. Beer Cheers

(Now how's THAT for a play on words?)

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:34 am

You should have made you user name "The Wordsmith".
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down