Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

"A Sharkish Afternoon" Cox_ba12

"A Sharkish Afternoon" Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Today at 12:18 pm

» audio-tach anyone?
by roddie Today at 11:14 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 10:22 am

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by fit90 Today at 7:34 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by getback Today at 6:19 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Yesterday at 2:54 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 pm

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

"A Sharkish Afternoon" Empty
Live on Patrol

"A Sharkish Afternoon"

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

"A Sharkish Afternoon" Empty "A Sharkish Afternoon"

Post  Kim Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:38 pm

Got the heat turned up in the shop on this cold, damp day.

The subject of my attention, for the moment, is the faithful Jetco Shark that flew it's heart out last Saturday.

It got a little Monokote patching, and some cleaning/oiling of it's old Enya .19 engine.

As I mentioned earlier, this is the same engine that flew in my Uncle Wayne's Shark in the 1960's. It later powered another Shark I built in 1975, which was literally worn out and busted up when it hit the ground at Vince's farm. The carcass of this one now graces the entrance of my shop.

So this is the Enya's third ride in the nose of the Jecto kit. Below are some photos of us flying Sharks back in the day. Great memories, and in particular, the day flying bud Kevin and I smacked a couple Sharks together over Olmsted's ball park.

We'd painted them in very similar schemes/colors...maybe TOO similar as we forgot who was flying what...with our two Sharks doing a model airplane version of JAWS.

Kevin's plane rose up into mine, getting holes punched through it's left wing by my Shark's landing gear. I pulled up, unhooking the two models, but with my prop walking down the chord of Kevin's wing, chopping up his flap, and then cutting off most of his left stabilizer and elevator for good measure.

I got off easy...with a couple punctures and a broken prop, my Shark glided to the ground. Kevin's Shark, however, was happily speeding along at the end of it's cables, cranking around it's circle like the over-engined little monster it was. He had just enough elevator (a little tab of balsa that survived getting chewed-on) to "suggest" some pitch control, and we all figured he'd be able to ride out the remaining fuel.

I'd already run over to drag my Shark out of harm's way, when a gust of wind or something slightly upset Kevin's screaming plane. The disc of the model's flight circle tilted, ignoring Kevin's efforts to calm it with his tiny chunk of elevator. Gradually, the Shark increasingly climbed and descended, with all of us crowing, "oooohh-OH! oooooh-OH!" as it's pull outs came closer and closer to the ground (what are friends for, anyway?).

It finally clipped some weeds on a swoop, and we all knew this was it. The Shark came barreling in on the next pass, but survived amazing well because of it's flat impact, tearing out it's landing gear, and siding to a stop in the cold, muddy grass.

I think Kevin later built up another elevator/stab and got his Shark back in the air.  Mine flew on, 'till it's finally fatal crash at Vince's place in the 1980's...to become the door trophy it is today.

So ends yet another saga about one of my toys...

"A Sharkish Afternoon" Dsc_0037
"A Sharkish Afternoon" Dsc_0036
"A Sharkish Afternoon" Dsc_0038
"A Sharkish Afternoon" 2_86
"A Sharkish Afternoon" Jecto_10
"A Sharkish Afternoon" 0_122
"A Sharkish Afternoon" 12_28
"A Sharkish Afternoon" 9_26
"A Sharkish Afternoon" Dscn5612
"A Sharkish Afternoon" Dscn5610
"A Sharkish Afternoon" 6_45

Last edited by Kim on Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

"A Sharkish Afternoon" Empty Re: "A Sharkish Afternoon"

Post  balogh Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:57 pm

...but I guess despite the damage inflicted on each others' planes you stayed good buddies? Very Happy
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:19 pm

balogh wrote:...but I guess despite the damage inflicted on each others' planes you stayed good buddies? Very Happy

Oh yeah...the best!!!!  We went on to fly R/C models and other adventures, and I got some stories I'm gonna tell about a couple of those.

He eventually married and moved to southern Texas, running a business that builds radio towers or some such, and our lives went in different directions.  We recently met at his dad's funeral, and he told me that he still has most of the models we flew back in the day.  We've promised each other to get some of them going.

Kevin's "Bonanza-like" model was built up using the wing of his dramatically destroyed Kadet Mk 1.  Yet, ANOTHER story to be told.

"A Sharkish Afternoon" 7_38

"A Sharkish Afternoon" 8_33

Last edited by Kim on Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:40 pm

Like I said Kim somewhere on another post of yours: I wish I had had the friends and flying adventures similar to yours..good stories, please continue recounting them..
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:02 pm

balogh wrote:Like I said Kim somewhere on another post of yours: I wish I had had the friends and flying adventures similar to yours..good stories, please continue recounting them..

Thank You!  

It's true that I've been friendship-honored by a lot of great people over the years.  I've been very lucky to meet up with "Similarly-Driven" individuals who also suffered from passions and pursuits that just wouldn't leave them alone.  

"It's a lot more fun to be called 'crazy' with company!"

Kevin taxies my Easy Riser in the 1980's.  

"A Sharkish Afternoon" 17_19
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:23 pm

To para- legitimize my flights and enjoy a pool of third party liability insurance I just joined a club here consisting of my age and older farts who indulge in antique free flight and sail planes...not my kind of  noisy COX shepherds..so looks like I will die a lonely COX flier.. Very Happy RC Plane
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:32 pm

balogh wrote:To para- legitimize my flights and enjoy a pool of third party liability insurance I just joined a club here consisting of my age and older farts who indulge in antique free flight and sail planes...not my kind of  noisy COX shepherds..so looks like I will die a lonely COX flier.. Very Happy RC Plane

Well, you got us !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:54 pm

That is true Kim and am glad to be a clubmember here even if a pretty remote one!
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:58 pm

I love the Bonanza, I always wanted to do a V -tail. Bob Zambelli our former club president who now and then flies with Rusty built a .35 size V-tail. It was designed by Dale Kirn. I was with Bob when he first flew it. He called Dale from the field  and put a few of us  on the phone to say hello. We used to hold a combat contest essentially right along the run way of a small local airport. The pilot of the Doctor Killer would always give us a thumbs up as he was  landing.

Last edited by Ken Cook on Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:58 pm

balogh wrote:That is true Kim and am glad to be a clubmember here even if  a pretty remote one!

I hope that if you ever get to travel to the U.S., you can time it to attend a S.M.A.L.L. event. We'll make it a point to have you SWIMMING in 1/4A & 1/2A planes !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:18 pm

Thanks Kim...sorry to hijack your post,looking forward to reading your continued stories,
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:07 pm

Ken Cook wrote:I love the Bonanza, I always wanted to do a V -tail. Bob Zambelli our former club president who now and then flies with Rusty built a .35 size V-tail. It was designed by Dale Kirn. I was with Bob when he first  flew it. He called Dale from the field  and put a few of us  on the phone to say hello. We used to hold a combat contest essentially right along the run way of a small local airport. The pilot of the Doctor Killer would always give us a thumbs up as he was  landing.

They're great airplanes, to be sure!   Kevin's first couple of flights were REAL entertaining, as he'd set up his home-made mixer (sliding servo) with WAY to much throw for those big ole barn door ruddervators.  I think he put it down in the beans the first time, as it was purposing faster than those E.K. servos could move!  And still needed some more throw reduction for the second flight.

It lived to become a nice flyer though.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:52 pm

Nice Shark .15, Kim. You don't see many planes these days right sized for the .19 engines, particularly the McCoy Red Heads.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:04 pm

Keep it going Kim!

I have 2 Shark .15’s both Jetco and one unbuilt. Flew the built one with a Fox .15BB too nose heavy! Maybe I should try the Enya.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:30 pm

This is just an addendum to Kim's great story-telling thread -- not intended as a hijack.  As many of you may already know, the Shark 15 was a design by Lew McFarland.  Lew flew the full fuselage Shark 45 to two National C/L stunt wins in the early sixties -- his Shark 45 was a refinement of an earlier plane called the Ruffy.  The Shark 15 that Kim is flying was an outgrowth of the Nationals winner, but more affordable and easier to build -- Lew's intention was to produce a plane capable of the full stunt pattern, but also doing duty as an intro stunt trainer.  Lew and I were in the same club in Lexington (Central Kentucky Radio Control) while I was in school there.  At the time, Lew was a pharmacist in Lexington, but ran a small hobby shop out of his basement -- one of two places where you could buy balsa in Lexington at the time.  I spent more time there than I should have.  He eventually left the pharmacy business and started X-Cell hobbies.  He designed several planes and kitted a number of those (a search on Outerzone for McFarland gives multiple hits).  Even though he was nationally known in control line stunt and a Nationals winner, he treated everyone the same and always gave those of us with little skill encouragement to continue in the modeling hobby, regardless of what you flew.  Lew had been a navigator in the Korean War and was a full scale pilot.  He passed away in 2011 at the age of 79.

Last edited by andrew on Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:53 pm

You guys need to quit worrying about 'hijacking" anything I put here! Just look back through these great comments!!!! I think I said before that it's a compliment for me to have spurred such stuff!

I met Mr. McFarland at a control line meet at Barkley Field in Paducah WAY back when. As could be expected, I was a little star-struck, and babbled about my Uncle Wayne's Shark 15, and what great memories it gave us. Hope he didn't think I was TOO much of a nut, but I'd understand if so... Very Happy
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:48 am

Great Memories Kim !! Never flew the shark but hear it flies well and stays together good too . Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:32 am

Kim, your photos remind me, that's back in the days when we all had hair!

GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:44 am

getback wrote:Great Memories Kim !! Never flew the shark but hear it flies well and stays together good too . Very Happy
"

Hey Eric!

The Shark was the first control liner I'd ever seen with "Stunt Flaps", and I was totally fascinated by this mysterious accessory!  

It certainly flys well on my level of skill ("Hillbilly Free Style"), but is probably way too fast for serious pattern work with it's .19.  It'd be neat to get an assessment from a pattern flyer tooling it around with a healthy .15.

Ron's got one with a .15...maybe he's got a description.

My next plan for it is to get a key fob camera out on it's wingtip.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:48 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:Kim, your photos remind me, that's back in the days when we all had hair!

Boy, that was great wasn't it???!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:18 pm

Kim wrote:
GallopingGhostler wrote:Kim, your photos remind me, that's back in the days when we all had hair!

The way I see on Kim's recent pictures appearing in his posts here and there he still does not have a reason to complain about a receding hairline... Smile
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:16 pm

balogh wrote:
Kim wrote:

The way I see on Kim's recent pictures appearing in his posts here and there he still does not have a reason to complain about a receding hairline... Smile

I NEVER complain about that! I'm eternally thankful for my hair...gray or not! AND have resisted efforts by assorted female types to "just darken it a bit"...I can just see God looking down and saying, "So...you're not happy with the color of the hair I let you keep?"

Shine On Shiny Hair--Shine On!!!

Hippie Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:00 pm

Kim wrote:
 I'm eternally thankful for my hair...gray or not!  AND have resisted efforts by assorted female types to "just darken it a bit"...

An analogy from observation: Men are to women as model planes are to men.

If I can tweek the trim just a little bit, I can make them better!!!

For me, having poor hearing is not such a bad thing at times.Smile
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:13 pm

andrew wrote:
Kim wrote:
 I'm eternally thankful for my hair...gray or not!  AND have resisted efforts by assorted female types to "just darken it a bit"...

For me, having poor hearing is not such a bad thing at times.Smile  

Testify Brother !!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:48 pm

andrew wrote:For me, having poor hearing is not such a bad thing at times.Smile  
At times my wife says I need a hearing aide. tongue lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next