Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Upsizing in the engine dept. Cox_ba12

Upsizing in the engine dept. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» You know you’re in Branson, Missouri when
by GallopingGhostler Today at 16:12

» Willy Nillie's Shoestring micro racer powered by COX TeeDee010
by KariFS Today at 15:48

» Fun Times Keeping Busy With Lead.....
by cstatman Today at 14:59

» I need to go back to RC school..
by cstatman Today at 14:41

» Cox Thimble Drome Special & Champion info please Or Is there a time line?
by Myk Yesterday at 23:26

» Scientific Gulfhawk
by roddie Yesterday at 21:59

» Memorial Day 2024
by roddie Yesterday at 21:48

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 18:31

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2024
by NEW222 Sun 26 May 2024 - 20:47

» Does this book interest anyone?
by rdw777 Sun 26 May 2024 - 15:58

» tap.. tap.. tap.. tap.. tap.. tap.. (reset)
by batjac Sun 26 May 2024 - 10:57

» Sold out Cox .049 silencers for sale
by sosam117 Sun 26 May 2024 - 7:16

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Upsizing in the engine dept. Empty
Live on Patrol

Upsizing in the engine dept.

Go down

Upsizing in the engine dept. Empty Upsizing in the engine dept.

Post  OhBee Sun 23 Feb 2020 - 14:37

What are the best most reliable engines out today in the .15 and .35 range?  Would like to get into larger planes eventually but only have .049's at present. .....and can't afford expensive stuff. Whats the best older stuff to keep an eye out for in the .15-.35 range?
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Upsizing in the engine dept. Empty Re: Upsizing in the engine dept.

Post  andrew Sun 23 Feb 2020 - 18:35

I've flown Thunder Tiger engines (.15 - .46) for years with good performance. The GP series are bushed; the Pro series are ball bearing engines --- they are middle of the road engines. New engines are expensive although you can find NIB engines on eBay --- just watch your bidding. Parts are also scarce, but this is becoming the case with many brands.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun 23 Feb 2020 - 18:43

CL or R/C?

Pretty partial to Fox and Super Tigre. Fox being the more affordable.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Sun 23 Feb 2020 - 18:50

OS .40FSR with the ringed piston. Vintage reliable power house. OS FP series is also reliable. Stay away from the OS FX series as they had a liner peeling issue.

Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Sun 23 Feb 2020 - 19:03

Ya...I don't do ebay. Used to some before they instituted pay-pal only as a means of payment.
OS and Fox were a couple I was thinking of...not so sure about fox anymore from what I've read here.  No experience with those super tigre engines. Controline for awhile...already fly electric RC..but want to switch to nitro there too. Not fond of electric power and all of the unsolveable elec issues,not being an electronics whiz kid!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun 23 Feb 2020 - 19:18

OhBee wrote:Ya...I don't do ebay. Used to some before they instituted pay-pal only as a means of payment.
OS and Fox were a couple I was thinking of...not so sure about fox anymore from what I've read here.  No experience with those super tigre engines. Controline for awhile...already fly electric RC..but want to switch to nitro there too. Not fond of electric power and all of the unsolveable elec  issues,not being an electronics whiz kid!

I don't understand your problem with Paypal.  Tie it to a cash back credit card and you make money or at least recover part of what you paid.  Paypal costs you nothing as a buyer.  

I do understand a reluctance to use ebay and I share that concern opting for other venues.  

I'm partial to Enya engines of all displacements.  I have bought many for less than ten dollars.  But that was in the past.  A quick check of Enya's on ebay just now leaves me wondering where all the good prices went.  But I did find this one for $9.99 with 2 days left, but no telling where it will end up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LARGE-ENYA-35-GAS-POWERED-AIRPLANE-ENGINE-STRONG-COMPRESSION-MADE-IN-JAPAN/264640021889?hash=item3d9dc64581:g:hxkAAOSw8gdeTMqn

Any way, good luck with your search.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  YakNine Sun 23 Feb 2020 - 19:49

One of my favorite engines is the Fox .15 X I have a couple of them , my biggest problem with them is the factory needle valve I have 2 that are flying right now and they both have RSM Super Tigre replica needle valves in them . I run Omege 10% nitro with 11% synthetic & 11% castor in them an 8x4 JXF prop and a good hot plug, run them in a wet 2 stroke plenty of power and very light weight
YakNine
YakNine
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun 23 Feb 2020 - 22:55

I'm with Bob. Seriously consider Enya, being one of the best finished engines out there. Prices might be getting up a little, but they're still competitive if not better than OS in price. Can't wear them out apart from serious abuse. Parts pretty much easy to find, still lots out there for sale. Start easy, run strong, don't have annoying needle issues or vibration problems. A little heavy would be my only negative.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Mon 24 Feb 2020 - 0:45

Have been considering Enya....my list of possibles may be getting shorter! Thanks guys!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  YakNine Mon 24 Feb 2020 - 8:16

I have 2 little Enya .09's and they are sweet little engines, one thing about the Enya .15 that I like is they are easy to put a muffler on very few of the Fox 15x's were sold with muffler lugs and if that's a requirement the Fox is out. I have an early Thunder Tiger .15 Enya clone with a muffler and its a nice little sport engine but parts are non existent , I also have an OS FP .15 & a Thunder Tiger .15 GP OS FP clone they run very nice have mufflers but are brutes I think they would have little issue flying a full size Flitestreak. Just some random thoughts rattling around in my head Lol TJ
YakNine
YakNine
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  YakNine Mon 24 Feb 2020 - 8:22

I almost forgot, I have heard good things about the Brodak B-40 and the K&B .28, I have no experience with either but they might be a possibility in the future, both available new with good parts supply. TJ
YakNine
YakNine
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Mon 24 Feb 2020 - 11:13

The OS LA series are pretty under rated. The .25s we use for replacing the the Fox .35 stunt motor, run just as fast and are light. I would stay away from the smaller Thunder tigers, mine just can barely fly my planes, and have leaky cranks. The Pro BB series are great though. I have a couple LA .40 and a FP .40 with a peeled liner. The FP seems to still run well for some odd reason. Something to watch for if you buy any used OS. The early FSR and FP were iron pistons or rings and I would put them above Enya. I am not a Fox fan, but have a Fox .15 BB schnuerle that I am fond of. They come with a muffler that has a weak mounting system. Supertigers, Rossi, Taipan, Cox Conquest .15, are a good choice if you find a deal. I have had great luck lately at swap meets. There are no bidding wars like the _Bay. I have converted some car motors like Picco, Novarossi, that run great, but needed machining and drive plates/prop nut issues. Often these are $20. K&B I would put ahead of Fox I guess. For anything that you get, make sure they are not worn out or have cracked cases around the venturi and exh. port that would affect performance.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  F4D Phantom II Wed 26 Feb 2020 - 18:38

I have been a fan of the OS FP series of engines and to help them live longer with good reliable performance if you are going to use the available RC fuels with synthetic oil I would add castor oil to the fuel that way it with help you with corrosion on this engines. I have used Supertigre engines and they are very good also. But like I said I always added castor oil to the Cool Power 15% fuel with synthetic oil and after the last flight run it dry and add some after run engine oil.
F4D Phantom II
F4D Phantom II
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down