Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Ringmaster JR Flash Cox_ba12

Ringmaster JR Flash Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» M1Fan...who are you?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:07 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 9:52 pm

» Roddie's water-cooled bench-run vid
by roddie Yesterday at 8:55 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:19 pm

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 6:42 pm

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:14 pm

» B-25 Mitchell
by roddie Yesterday at 3:09 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 2:24 pm

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Yesterday at 2:23 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:54 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 6:52 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Ringmaster JR Flash Empty
Live on Patrol

Ringmaster JR Flash

Go down

Ringmaster JR Flash Empty Ringmaster JR Flash

Post  Ken Cook Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:54 am

I clouded Roddie's glowplug thread enough with my rambling. I started this plane 2 weeks ago, given my daily schedule, this is good. I finished covering yesterday morning. This was a fun plane to build, not the typical construction of most as this wing went in from the top. A couple of things I have mentioned in the past that many don't readily recognize until it's too late. Building from a kit has one committed to the kit. Seeing that this kit was over 40 years old, the plywood parts were questionable. Sterling used a birch and poplar core plywood in the early years followed by the luan ply in the later years. Both species are just horrible for the intended purpose. When new, they serve a purpose well but degrade rather quickly. From a manufacturing standpoint, cheap is better.

Not to turn this into a kit bashing post, most kits make the F-1-F-3 formers a standard width. The problem is that they're generally not wide enough.This equates to jamming in your tank. The end caps don't fit within the doublers, this also doesn't allow any room for canting the tank if needed which can cause engine run issues prior to shutoff. Make your formers WIDER. All I had was a Brodak tank. Not my choice due to many manufacturing flaws and quality issues. The vents were in the wrong spot, it was full of flux which was causing internal corrosion even though it was never used . The tank itself was so twisted from end cap to end cap it deserved to be thrown in the
trash. I was able to rebend and remedy the twist and I replaced some of the pipes. I air tested and then discovered when I placed it in the model, the overflow pipe was too close to the edge which wouldn't allow the tank to go clear the engine beam. I moved the overflow pipe and all is good now.

Ringmaster JR Flash Dscn2910 The top block is designed to be installed all the way to the front of F-2 gluing the tank in. NEVER build your tank into the model. At some point it will be an issue due to leaking or in need of height adjustment.

Ringmaster JR Flash Dscn2911 I cut the top block and capped both ends with 1/64 ply providing a screw and tabs to lock it down

I'm not a fan of wheel collars as they look bulky, add weight and fall off. I use a tight fitting washer and solder as it looks clean.     Ringmaster JR Flash Dscn2912

Ringmaster JR Flash Dscn2913 Another flaw is the bottom sheeting. Sterling offered one piece with the grain running from nose block to rudder. This is very poor as it offers no side to side strength, it doesn't follow curves well due to fighting the grain as it's bending to the curves. I cut 2" crossgrain pieces and tape them together to form a long piece. With tape holding, I open each piece like a book and put small dots of yellow glue on the edge and weigh it down. When dry, sand and it follows the curves perfectly.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Ringmaster JR Flash Empty Re: Ringmaster JR Flash

Post  Mike1484 Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:49 am

Looking real good Ken . I like my wheels done up like yours , soldered on with washers . The removable hatch is a good idea , I hate cutting into a plane to fix a fuel tank .

Mike1484
Mike1484
Mike1484
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DrCox Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:14 pm

Ken Cook wrote:  I'm not a fan of wheel collars as they look bulky, add weight and fall off. I use a tight fitting washer and solder as it looks clean.
    Ringmaster JR Flash Dscn2912

Ken, great idea and exceptionally clean.

DrCox
DrCox
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:16 pm

Today, I got to fly the Ringmaster Jr Flash. It didn't start off well as the engine has been sitting for some 40 years and was just filled with oil. This engine just didn't want to come out of hibernation. In addition, I had to practically make the tank and I fill the tanks with oil when I'm done making them. I ran out of my conventional air tool oil and used the Klotz Techniplate inside the tank. This just wasn't happy until all the oil cleared which didn't happen in a few minutes. First flight was too rich, second flight was better and it was immediately put into the maneuvers. This little plane boogies and it's faster than anyone would believe. I had that Fox wound up with the Super M 7x6 on it.
https://www.facebook.com/PhillyFliersCL/photos/pcb.3760816090655164/3760807240656049/?type=3&theater
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:34 pm

It turned out very nice Ken despite the obstacles. You would figure the engine would have no problem ingesting Techniplate. My 2 strokes bikes love it!

Maybe it was just too much oil, whatever, that’s all behind you now. Now you just need to build a Sportster...

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:35 am

She Looks really Good Ken , glad you were able to get the oil cleared out for some flight time ..     Ringmaster JR Flash Screen52
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down