Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

What Were They Thinking to Remove Cylinder Cox_ba12

What Were They Thinking to Remove Cylinder Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Today at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Today at 7:08 pm

» audio-tach anyone?
by roddie Today at 2:58 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 2:43 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Today at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 10:26 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

What Were They Thinking to Remove Cylinder Empty
Live on Patrol

What Were They Thinking to Remove Cylinder

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What Were They Thinking to Remove Cylinder Empty What Were They Thinking to Remove Cylinder

Post  Iceberg Tue May 19, 2020 11:50 pm

Some of the cylinders even type 2 that have the two slits for ports have NO wrench slots on the top of the cylinder. A few times I have had to cut the top fins to be able to remove a cylinder. The only other way I can see to remove is to put a rag around the cylinder and use a vice grip or something. Which does scratch the black color. Not too keen on that.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? Or is cutting the top fins to accept the wrench the only civilized way to remove the cylinder?
Thanks
Iceberg
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

What Were They Thinking to Remove Cylinder Empty Another use for Dads leather belt

Post  happydad Wed May 20, 2020 12:31 am

Iceberg wrote:Some of the cylinders even type 2 that have the two slits for ports have NO wrench slots on the top of the cylinder. A few times I have had to cut the top fins to be able to remove a cylinder. The only other way I can see to remove is to put a rag around the cylinder and use a vice grip or something. Which does scratch the black color. Not too keen on that.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? Or is cutting the top fins to accept the wrench the only civilized way to remove the cylinder?
Thanks
Iceberg

I use an old leather belt with vise grips after heating the cylinder-crankcase with a heat gun, CAREFULLY.  
   I usually use at least a 1/4 inch thick belt, or double wrap a thinner leather belt. I have even used a pair of leather gloves in an emergency. Just heat carefully, take your time with the vise grips and reheat if necessary.

Grabbing around the main part of the cylinder, not the fins, avoids damaging the fins.

Happydad RC Plane Very Happy
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

What Were They Thinking to Remove Cylinder Empty Re: What Were They Thinking to Remove Cylinder

Post  Admin Wed May 20, 2020 1:04 am

They actually suggested the use of pliers... Shocked

What Were They Thinking to Remove Cylinder Instru11

A strip of leather with pliers works well for me.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

What Were They Thinking to Remove Cylinder Empty Re: What Were They Thinking to Remove Cylinder

Post  andrew Wed May 20, 2020 1:17 am

happydad wrote:

I usually use at least a 1/4 inch thick belt, or double wrap a thinner leather belt. I have even used a pair of leather gloves in an emergency. Just heat carefully, take your time with the vise grips and reheat if necessary.

Grabbing around the main part of the cylinder, not the fins, avoids damaging the fins........

Many times, Peddler's Malls or flea markets will have vendors selling leather scraps. I bought a piece of 1/4" thick scrap and cut it into 1/2" wide strips that I use for unscrewing all sorts of items where I don't want to mar the surface.
For COX cylinders, I leave the glowhead lightly screwed in place and grasp the upper part of the cylinder and a fin or two on the head. With the head in the cylinder, I am more comfortable applying force without the chance of distorting the cylinder itself.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed May 20, 2020 5:29 am

andrew wrote:...With the head in the cylinder, I am more comfortable applying force without the chance of distorting the cylinder itself.  

Yes I feel this way too..in addition to the glow head, I would also crank the piston up to the TDC to increase the cylinder rigidity.

I have a reedy in as-new condition except the ball-joint connection that is a bit slack. No flats machined in the top fin for the wrench, unfortunately.

The cylinder thread seems to have cured into the crankcase neck. I heated the crankcase for some time, then tried a leather strip wound around the cylinder and a vice grip, but there is no physical force imaginable that would be able to beg the rascal to unscrew..there is no way either I  use the fork end of the COX wrench tucked over the exhaust ports to remove the cylinder as originally intended by COX. That would only result in external (in the best case) burrs on the cylinder. The sides of the exhaust port are not parallel with the forks so the latter sits on the ridges of the port that will burr at a small torque applied already.

Now I have dropped the engine less the red postage stamp back-plate into pure methanol and hope the caked castor between the threads will soften after a few days of such a bath, enabling me to dismantle the engine and set the ball-joint connection.

Last edited by balogh on Wed May 20, 2020 5:50 am; edited 2 times in total
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed May 20, 2020 5:31 am

Admin wrote:They actually suggested the use of pliers... Shocked

That, without a leather belt, is simply brutal that I would never do...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed May 20, 2020 6:37 am

The best way I have found to remove stuck cylinders/glow heads is a four hour crock pot A/F boil, provides heat and lubrication (sort of).  If possible I loosen the head or position the piston so the exhaust port is open, but I never force anything and will never use compressive force on any cylinder.   A hundred or so engines and the crock pot method has never let me down.  Messy and time consuming but effective.

Learned this the hard way after destroying a couple of locked up Wen/Mac - Testors engines.  Then I joined this forum and someone here mentioned crock pots.  Thanks someone.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed May 20, 2020 9:33 am

So,

While not the best way, the cylinder was designed to be removed with the factory wrench through the exhaust slots.

If done carefully no damage occurs.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Wed May 20, 2020 9:44 am

Laughs in hacksaw, pliers are for lightweights

What Were They Thinking to Remove Cylinder Dsc01015
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Wed May 20, 2020 9:48 am

I have milled the top of the cylinder on a couple Reedies to use the wrench. I find the cylinder has to be tighter than the plug, or you end up removing the whole unit. The TD wrench is a bit weak to hold on to the top cylinder slots for that purpose IMHO. Just have to show my favourite pic here. No I didn't do it. I made the thrust washer though. I will use this stub to machine some ports some day maybe.What Were They Thinking to Remove Cylinder Uglytd13
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed May 20, 2020 10:06 am

Cribbs74 wrote:So,

While not the best way, the cylinder was designed to be removed with the factory wrench through the exhaust slots.

That's what I use on engines that are not top slotted after an A/F boil, but I buffer the wrench first with electrical tape.  Not sure if it does any good but it's a confidence builder.  Slit exhaust engines that I have done have always been top slotted that I can remember.

I have probably done (disassembled cleaned) less than a dozen TD/Medallions.  Quickly learned never to A/F boil one of those.  Sad
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Iceberg Wed May 20, 2020 11:12 am

balogh wrote:
Admin wrote:They actually suggested the use of pliers... Shocked

That, without a leather belt, is simply brutal that I would never do...
Wow no joke the pliers just HURTS to see that!

I guess they thought the kid would smash it to bits after a few flights and buy a new one??
Ice
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Iceberg Wed May 20, 2020 11:20 am

Cribbs74 wrote:So,

In most cases very true. I once got a 1971 or so .010 that had never been run but wanted to clean and remove cylinder. It was so stuck that the wrench produced a small burr inside the corner. Thankfully after several hours with magnifying glass and surgical instruments got the burr off the cylinder wall and the motor runs perfect. However that was not a good feeling to be sure! But after thousands of goes on all cylinders wrench in the port worked great.
Ice
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Wed May 20, 2020 2:06 pm

Ugliest picture ever!!! Damn!

What Were They Thinking to Remove Cylinder 00299d10
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Wed May 20, 2020 5:39 pm

One of the older British motors said to use a piece of leather and pliers carefully. DC or Merlin? I don't remember who. Pretty careless for Cox to put the pliers on the instructions to save the money for cutting the slots in the cylinders. Notice the case on my pic has a patch. The rod went through the case on my flying buddy's motor and he soldered it up. It worked OK, he said, but then he gave it to me. I was a kid then. I have/had a turned cylinder so it would fit in a speed plane better, but seems to have vanished. Some of the plastic parts look pretty nasty on most of my TDs, faded and repaired where the venturi goes in. I was going to order a bunch of stuff from Cox International, but never seem to get aroun tuit. I rarely fly them now. Windy area here.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed May 20, 2020 6:14 pm

One time, I too had used leather gloves to aid in removing a Cox cylinder. They were a new pair, a gift from my father...... Well, allow me to say that they then had a few added slits in the finger I wrapped around teh cylinder. Oh well, I can at least say I used them.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed May 20, 2020 7:46 pm

The picture is actually genius. Buy the plane, break it, buy parts....
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  daddyo Thu May 21, 2020 1:23 am

Classic pliers, what’s a few teeth Mark’s?
daddyo
daddyo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Thu May 21, 2020 2:10 am

As far as I am concerned to me a COX engine is not just a toy but an aesthetic pleasure too..I hate seeing that signature COX cylinder shape mauled...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Iceberg Thu May 21, 2020 10:02 am

balogh wrote:As far as I am concerned to me a COX engine is not just a toy but an aesthetic pleasure too..I hate seeing that signature COX cylinder shape mauled...
I'm with you Andras! Butchers are for meat not these little cylinders. And YES hey need to look good too!!
Thanks
Ice
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu May 21, 2020 10:53 am

Yeah, they are beautiful little gems aren't they...…….. Smile

What Were They Thinking to Remove Cylinder Toasty19
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Thu May 21, 2020 10:57 am

As mentioned earlier, a leather strap is all that's needed. Just heat up the crankcase and adjust the length of the strap so that you get a nice pinch. The principle is the same as for oil-filter removal tools on car engines. With a few different holes in the strap you'll have a tool for all cox engines sizes, and also for PAW and Webra diesel engines etc.

What Were They Thinking to Remove Cylinder Img_2010
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Thu May 21, 2020 9:15 pm

Kris, that's genius. Thanks! A trip to the shoe repair guy around the corner tomorrow.

I see a sleeve around the port on the carb body on your TD. I'm guessing that's a fix for a cracked venturi? Very slick! That's going in my tool box. Thanks for that one too!
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Thu May 21, 2020 9:24 pm

Surfer_kris wrote:As mentioned earlier, a leather strap is all that's needed. Just heat up the crankcase and adjust the length of the strap so that you get a nice pinch. The principle is the same as for oil-filter removal tools on car engines. With a few different holes in the strap you'll have a tool for all cox engines sizes, and also for PAW and Webra diesel engines etc.

What Were They Thinking to Remove Cylinder Img_2010
That is what the English motor manufacturer recommended, that I was thinking. Good tool for the flight box for sure.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri May 22, 2020 5:28 am

Tee Bee wrote:Ugliest picture ever!!! Damn!

What Were They Thinking to Remove Cylinder 00299d10

Kind of reminds me of someone who fixes a nicely chromed urinal flushometer or sink faucet using a regular pipe wrench. I don't know what possesses people to put out such bad advice and that in official literature. Obviously the person who wrote such instructions does not have a mechanical background.

rsv1cox wrote:Yeah, they are beautiful little gems aren't they...…….. Smile

What Were They Thinking to Remove Cylinder Toasty19

They clean up nicely. I've used a fine file to clean up the burrs, although in the rough there is hope of restoration.

What Were They Thinking to Remove Cylinder Restor10
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next