Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

For those who have experienced rusty bolt removal Cox_ba12

For those who have experienced rusty bolt removal Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -June 2024-
by 1/2A Nut Today at 8:49 am

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by GallopingGhostler Today at 3:46 am

» S.M.A.L.L. 2024
by balogh Today at 12:21 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by MauricioB Yesterday at 10:59 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:24 pm

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2024
by roddie Yesterday at 4:10 pm

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by Cox International Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» Cox Mustang repair
by getback Yesterday at 7:29 am

» You know you’re in Branson, Missouri when
by batjac Thu May 30, 2024 10:52 am

» Cox water wizard
by 1/2A Nut Wed May 29, 2024 11:46 pm

» WenMac MkIII 049, Cox BabeBee, FOX 15X and 19 Prop Screw/Crank Threads
by roddie Wed May 29, 2024 7:34 pm

» Fun Times Keeping Busy With Lead.....
by cstatman Wed May 29, 2024 2:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

For those who have experienced rusty bolt removal Empty
Live on Patrol

For those who have experienced rusty bolt removal

Go down

For those who have experienced rusty bolt removal Empty For those who have experienced rusty bolt removal

Post  Ken Cook Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:22 pm

Over the past two weeks mainly on the weekends, I have tried to remove the O2 sensor from my vehicle. What's nice about my vehicle is that it has 4 of them and they're just a pain in the rear end to remove. I've been soaking with Kano penetrating every day I come home. I've heated with a propane torch and then got my MC tank for plumbing and tried that. I used a muffler chisel, I heated and tried the melted wax, I tried 6 different O2 sockets. Mind you, there all in the worst position and place possible. It's as if one planned this. I had a dozen style of vise grips and to no avail this one was going to be the one that broke me. My son has a lot more patience for this stuff. I had enough last weekend and was preparing for the first time in my driving career to actually take it to a mechanic. Mainly due to my time schedule. My son bought this tool and it's just impressive. It got hot fast. I had Map gas on this thing for nearly 20 minutes and couldn't get it as hot as what this tool did in 10 minutes. Not too mention you don't have to worry about burning other wires hanging in the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=f2A8no15Ep0&feature=emb_title
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

For those who have experienced rusty bolt removal Empty Re: For those who have experienced rusty bolt removal

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:37 pm

But did you get it off Ken?

Sounds like you tried everything that I would.  Never heard of that tool.

My go to is a 1/2" drive air tool set at 100 psi but you can't get it everywhere.  Ratchet, ratchet, knock, knock - either the nut/bolt gives or you do.  Rounded, out comes the Saws-all.

BTW, looks like one of those attachments would fit a Cox cylinder just fine.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

For those who have experienced rusty bolt removal Empty Re: For those who have experienced rusty bolt removal

Post  Ken Cook Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:16 pm

My son got it off, however he also got hit in the lip with a piece of metal from the air chisel which cut it him a bit. He was so happy and I have to admit so was I. The coil turned that area literally white in just a few minutes. It was very impressive.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:07 pm

Nice tool. I find that freeze spray works pretty well. I was doubtful at first, but the good quality stuff works remarkably well. It shrinks the metal to compress the rust, and as it expands again, breaks free the threads.

If replaceng an 02 sensor, I just cut off the wires and slip a ring spanner (What do you guys call it?) over the sensor. Normally does the job, although over here we don't have to contend with salt-rusted cars. If access is the problem, just drop the engine pipe(s).
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:56 pm

Interesting Ken,

Heating the bung instead of the sensor might have yielded quicker results, or maybe that’s what you did? I am surprised the oxy/acetylene torch didn’t do the trick.

The joys of living in the rust belt. I certainly don’t miss it when I hear stories like this. I regularly works nuts and bolts that have been on a vehicle 50yrs and they come off as if they were installed yesterday. Do you guys have safety/emission inspections up there in PA?

Anyway, neat tool and I am certainly glad you were able to break it free. I probably would have got fed up and dropped the exhaust and cut it out. Although if that was hard to break free then I bet the rest of the nut/bolts holding the exhaust on would have been just as stubborn.!

Ron

Last edited by Cribbs74 on Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:51 pm

marvelous mystery oil and acetone 1:1 makes a great penetrating oil.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:03 am

Ron, I do have access to a oxy acetylene torch but not at my house. I tried propane, I tried map and I also used my plumbers acetylene only torch. Everything surrounding the area acted like a heat sink and wouldn't get the area hot. It was so tight between the frame rail and other obstructions, you barely could get vise grips on it. I really didn't want to disturb the exhaust. My mechanic buddy suggested that lowering the exhaust might be my only option. He also mentioned drilling a new hole in the pipe and welding a new bung within it.
I was going to weld a nut onto the old sensor if this tool didn't work. It really amazes me just how frozen nuts and bolts can get. We do have safety and emission inspections and they're quite strict.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down