Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Testors Powered Cox_ba12

Testors Powered Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Today at 11:45 am

» B-25 Mitchell
by Ken Cook Today at 11:14 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 10:54 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by getback Today at 7:00 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Ken Cook Today at 6:52 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by roddie Today at 1:48 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by MauricioB Yesterday at 7:39 am

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Fri May 10, 2024 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Fri May 10, 2024 9:02 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Fri May 10, 2024 7:42 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Fri May 10, 2024 2:51 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Fri May 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Testors Powered Empty
Live on Patrol

Testors Powered

Go down

Testors Powered Empty Testors Powered

Post  DrCox Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:30 pm

Always competing with Cox, the Testors Corporation came up with some innovative ideas and designs. Their products sold well, some better than others. Here is a different vehicle named the Dune Buggy or also known as the Moon Buggy. Whatever it's called, it was truly original, especially with the engine header/exhaust pipe combo. Instead of the more durable recoil wire rope as equipped on Cox products, this Testors recoil was made utilizing a more economical rope known as monofilament "fishing " line for starting the .049. This model utilized a lot of flashy chrome from the deep dish rims, bumper, body trim, headlights and exhaust shroud.

Overall, a cool model available during "funner" times as a kid.

Testors Powered HYo4HLn

Testors Powered AoWeuK7

Testors Powered WiAH4Hb

Testors Powered UhZWmzW

Testors Powered WPY7Gsm

Testors Powered AHnV5Qn

Testors Powered NAkTAur
DrCox
DrCox
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Testors Powered Empty Re: Testors Powered

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:56 am

Pretty neat Doc, and a model that I have not seen before.  Yours?

I have quite a few Testors and Cox plastic models, Aurora/Wen-Mac too.  It seems like Testors models were exaggerated in style when compared to the more conventional Cox models except for their Fly-em series which were pretty close to the full scale airplanes.  Wen Mac too with their out of proportion Ara and King Cobras when compared with the Cox model.

I don't know. Thinking it over some Cox models were pretty wild too.

Testors Powered P1010379
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:06 am

that is a cool looking Buggy Very Happy Looked but don't see one in action , tires look rubber ? would probably get the job done ! bounce
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:15 am

I had the Super Beetle which was pretty much the end of the Testors cars. It worked, it was built very cheaply. The inevitable happened when the crank broke. It had hard plastic tires and the body looked like a cheap 5 &10 store push toy. The stickers were placed on crooked and generally wrinkled. A real lack of quality but it did work and was relatively fast while it did. They also made a van and 57 chevy in the Fast Ones series. Grossly out of proportion and ugly as could be but as I mentioned they did work. It's amazing to me how detailed and scale like the Wen Mac Mustang was and then they produce these . I will say though while I liked the scale like appearance of the Cox, I enjoyed the speed of the Testors Beetle.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:29 am

I just took a moment to study the engine and it's mount. Four screws takes it out. I would sure like to find a beat up model to mess around with, Smile

Strange. Looks like the exhaust is piped away from the engine compartment. The engine is mounted at an angle with a conventional fuel tank. But what is that trapezoid shaped thing? I would like to see how the engines gear interacts with the wheel drive gear. I'm pretty sure I have that gear or one like it in my spare parts.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:34 pm

I too will concour that it is a neat little model, and as well in great shape!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  DrCox Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:52 am

getback wrote:that is a cool looking Buggy Very Happy  Looked but don't see one in action , tires look rubber ? would probably get the job done ! bounce

Eric, The tires are not the same composition as the Cox Dune Buggy tires. More of a vinyl-like plastic. Seem to hold up better over the years than the tires from Cox, especially when weight bearing.
DrCox
DrCox
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DrCox Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:57 am

rsv1cox wrote:Strange.  Looks like the exhaust is piped away from the engine compartment.  The engine is mounted at an angle with a conventional fuel tank.  But what is that trapezoid shaped thing?   I would like to see how the engines gear interacts with the wheel drive gear.  I'm pretty sure I have that gear or one like it in my spare parts.  

Bob: The trapezoid shaped object is the fuel tank. On the bottom of the vehicle is a plastic slide switch that engages a gear that meshes with the drive screw from the crankshaft. Somewhat similar to the drive mechanism of the Cox Dune Buggy, but once again, made of plastic.

DrCox
DrCox
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DrCox Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:20 am

Testors competed with the Cox Dune Buggy by introducing the Testors Surf Buggy. The body composition is flexible plastic unlike the rigid plastic body from Cox. This was also dressed with plenty of flashy chrome such as the deep dish rims, bumper, headlights, body accessories, roll bar and chrome exhaust tips and exhaust shroud. The overall design is original and unique, however the quality of materials utilized were based upon production costs.

The unique exhaust muffler/header exited the rear of the vehicle, while the recoil rope also incorporated the monofilament "fishing" line. Testors incorporated popular automotive colors of the 70's (Grabber Green etc) with their vehicles while also hoping to capitalize on the popular vehicles of the times. Overall, another creative idea from Testors.

Testors Powered QRzcm1S

Testors Powered RHxyWnf

Testors Powered OHtTx9E

Testors Powered Dp4Xctd

Testors Powered S1mTKbN

Testors Powered GkdgeAp

DrCox
DrCox
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:35 am

DrCox wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:Strange.  Looks like the exhaust is piped away from the engine compartment.  The engine is mounted at an angle with a conventional fuel tank.  But what is that trapezoid shaped thing?   I would like to see how the engines gear interacts with the wheel drive gear.  I'm pretty sure I have that gear or one like it in my spare parts.  

Bob: The trapezoid shaped object is the fuel tank. On the bottom of the vehicle is a plastic slide switch that engages a gear that meshes with the drive screw from the crankshaft. Somewhat similar to the drive mechanism of the Cox Dune Buggy, but once again, made of plastic.

Thanks, I see it now, my old eyes saw it as a two piece structure, but it's really just a single tank. Heck of a capacity, should run that engine for some time.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down