Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures Cox_ba12

My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by Ken Cook Today at 3:56 pm

» need info on this
by crankbndr Today at 3:53 pm

» Post your Older books
by GallopingGhostler Today at 2:49 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 12:33 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by rsv1cox Today at 12:17 pm

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by lla Today at 11:15 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 9:00 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by rdw777 Today at 8:51 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 8:30 am

» "SOLD OUT" Cox .020 silencers -- currently
by GallopingGhostler Today at 5:12 am

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 2:38 am

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures Empty
Live on Patrol

My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures

Go down

My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures Empty My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures

Post  rsv1cox Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:23 pm

Jim's and Ron's Baby Ringmaster build got me thinking.  

I believe this was my first built-up wing model built back in the 1960's.  Started out tissue covered that didn't last long.  Crashed many times breaking the wing in places along with losing the vertical stab and rudder assembly almost weekly.  Ambroid gave way to epoxy.  Multiple tissue repairs fell to monokote.  Probably the first plane I featured here on the forum when I joined back in 2014.  I believe it was Ron who commented "you know dummy, you have the vertical stab on wrong" or words to that effect.  

My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures P1010431

Corrected the vertical stab mistake when I made the solid wing clone.  

My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures P1010432

Thought I would give Jim something to compare with so I balanced and weighed it.  Built wing balanced about an inch back, forgot to do the solid wing.

My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures P1010435

My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures P1010436

My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures P1010433

Thought I would check the Cox BW/Jim Walker clone too.

My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures P1010434
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures Empty Re: My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:37 pm

Sheesh Bob! You cut me to the quick! I would never point out someones mistakes. Laughing It’s hard to be perfect, it’s just the cross I have to bear...

Some of the extra weight on the Ringmasters are likely due to repairs, but I bet the bigger culprit was the Sterling wood.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures Empty Re: My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures

Post  rsv1cox Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:45 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Sheesh Bob! You cut me to the quick! I would never point out someones mistakes.  Laughing It’s hard to be perfect, it’s just the cross I have to bear...

Some of the extra weight on the Ringmasters are likely due to repairs, but I bet the bigger culprit was the Sterling wood.

Ron

I forgot to put a smiley face after that comment Ron....Smile.  But it was you, I have a memory, cursed though it may be.  I took it as constructive and appreciated it, still do. Your one of my many hero's here.  I bear the same cross.  Smile

I was surprised that the built JR came out slightly lighter than the solid wing, But I must admit, I laid a lot of spray Lustrekote on it.  
Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures Empty Alright you guys, I recognize a challenge

Post  happydad Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:29 pm

rsv1cox wrote:
Cribbs74 wrote:Sheesh Bob! You cut me to the quick! I would never point out someones mistakes.  Laughing It’s hard to be perfect, it’s just the cross I have to bear...

Ron

I forgot to put a smiley face after that comment Ron....Smile.  But it was you, I have a memory, cursed though it may be.  I took it as constructive and appreciated it, still do. Your one of my many hero's here.  I bear the same cross.  Smile

I was surprised that the built JR came out slightly lighter than the solid wing, But I must admit, I laid a lot of spray Lustrekote on it.  
Bob

Ron and Bob: I know a challenge when I hear one. I built this BRM with ribbed wing back in 2012 after visiting nitrosmeller in Santa Maria, CA and my alma mater in San Luis Obispo, CA for reunion. Never mounted an engine until tonite. Babe Bee. Balances at 1inch from LE. No wheels, but will cut off extra wire and not used heavy wheel nuts (?). Will add picture as soon as I finish dinner and switch to MacBook.

Oh. 5.9ounces.
>>>>edited 8-14-2020 9:09p.m. PST to add photos

My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures Img_1619

>>>> edit finished

>>>>>>edit 2 edited 8-14-2020 at 11:11p.m. PST   how do i get smaller pictures, not tiny ones, but half size. last time i posted they were fine, this time super tall???  >>>>> edit finished

happydad RC Plane Old Bugger United States

Last edited by happydad on Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:14 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : to add photos, to ask questions)
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:25 am

Thanks to Jim and my son I have been able to recover from the hard drive of my previous PC pictures that went away when it crashed a couple of years ago.

My Jim Walker Firebaby as received.

My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures Fire_b33
My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures Fire_b34
My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures Fire_b32

My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures P1010439
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures Empty Those were the days

Post  happydad Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:48 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Thanks to Jim and my son I have been able to recover from the hard drive of my previous PC pictures that went away when it crashed a couple of years ago.

My Jim Walker Firebaby as received.

My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures Fire_b33
My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures Fire_b34
My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures Fire_b32

My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures P1010439

rsv1cox: I was reading back into the archives when someone recently asked about my first plane the TD-4. I was surprised at the wood versions of the old plastic frame they came up with. Can’t remember who it was, it was very late last night, PST.
   But down to the moveable engine mount the repro looked so good, you could hardly tell from a distance it was wood, not plastic. The wing was another story, but choices were made. Now I would make the wing similar to what someone made the TD-4 wing originally with airfoil in thin, maybe 1/8inch balsa, with shaped pieces on the underside of the airfoil giving it the shape of old. I think one of the repo’s was like that, but then covered the bottom of the wing. I would just leave it open. Looks good and is lighter. Two Cents

p.s. great looking JW’s even without some pieces.

Happydad RC Plane Old Bugger United States
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:30 pm

That's interesting HD.

I'm not a serious student of Cox, but I do know of the TD1 but didn't know of the TD4.  Weird, shades of the Jim Walker Firebaby.

My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures Cox_td11
My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures Cox_td12

Kim flying a replica and doing stunts, well loops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0SSYaRasM4

I initially bought that wrecked Firebaby because of the Silver Bee on the nose.  Unusual, it's marked 1 1/4.  Got to find it and put it back on.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures Empty i want it. LOL

Post  happydad Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:37 pm

rsv1cox wrote:That's interesting HD.

I'm not a serious student of Cox, but I do know of the TD1 but didn't know of the TD4.  Weird, shades of the Jim Walker Firebaby.

My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures Cox_td11
My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures Cox_td12

Kim flying a replica and doing stunts, well loops.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0SSYaRasM4

I initially bought that wrecked Firebaby because of the Silver Bee on the nose.  Unusual, it's marked 1 1/4.  Got to find it and put it back on.

rsv1cox: i had the one in the first picture. the blue wing and yellow body. if you want to get rid of the red wing one, let me know.  lol! it could be fixed easily. i think there is a yellow piece shaped like the underside of the wing missing. i don't remember the flying stabilator connection. rubber bands and wire to control horn??

Maybe the markings mean part #1 of 4 pieces. notice there are only 3 pieces, body, wing, stabilator, missing the piece that goes under the wing.

shipping address is .....lol!

Last edited by happydad on Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to add content)
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:15 am

I keep reading this and I am pretty sure i have a Jim Walker Firebaby Wood kit (somewhere LOL) That was giving to my son sometime back by Wingit when i thought he was going to start building some planes , He said the club he was in had a event ? and there were some left over FireBaby kits (Laser cut) Pretty cool kit all wood and large instruction sheet ! Very Happy Airplane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:19 am

Check it out Eric.  I would like to know if the wing/elevator are 1/16" balsa.  I can't raise a betancourt, he said the Cox BW's are 1/8".  I know that the 1/16" wing warps even when stored in the sleeved (see picture above) box.  

I found that Silver Bee engine that came on the bent Firebaby.  #2 thin wall with 1 1/4 nicely etched on the case.  If anyone knows it's meaning please chime in.   Think I will just mark it and put it back in the display case.

My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures Fireba46
My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures P1010440
My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures P1010441

BTW HD, those are not my models, I picked them off the net. Appears they are all wing and Kim did a great job flying one. Now I'm on a mission to get one. Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures Empty Look familiar??

Post  happydad Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:27 am

rsv1cox wrote:Check it out Eric.  I would like to know if the wing/elevator are 1/16" balsa.  I can't raise a betancourt, he said the Cox BW's are 1/8".  I know that the 1/16" wing warps even when stored in the sleeved (see picture above) box.  

I found that Silver Bee engine that came on the bent Firebaby.  #2 thin wall with 1 1/4 nicely etched on the case.  If anyone knows it's meaning please chime in.   Think I will just mark it and put it back in the display case.

My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures Fireba46
My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures P1010440
My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures P1010441

rsv1cox:  yes, the JW wing and stabilizer were 1/16 balsa. whoever had the JW's in the ...Extremely Rare Black Widow...  thread showed a measurement/ But can't remember who. I can look and repost.

>>>>edit 8-16-2020  07-29a.m. PST It was GallopingGhostler.  >>>>end edit

>>>> edit #2  8-16-20 7:42a.m. PST Just found a photo forum member rsv1cox posted in the rare Black Widow... thread

My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures Jw-win10

look familiar??
>>>>> edit #2 complete

Last edited by happydad on Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:46 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : to add name edit 2 to add picture)
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:04 pm

[quote="happydad"]
rsv1cox wrote:

>>>> edit #2  8-16-20 7:42a.m. PST Just found a photo forum member rsv1cox posted in the rare Black Widow... thread

My vintage Baby Ringmaster weights and measures Jw-win10

look familiar??
>>>>> edit #2 complete

Just me being me HD. Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down