Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Tail less Testors P-40's, pipe bombs and other things Cox_ba12

Tail less Testors P-40's, pipe bombs and other things Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» M1Fan...who are you?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:07 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 9:52 pm

» Roddie's water-cooled bench-run vid
by roddie Yesterday at 8:55 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:19 pm

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 6:42 pm

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:14 pm

» B-25 Mitchell
by roddie Yesterday at 3:09 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 2:24 pm

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Yesterday at 2:23 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:54 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 6:52 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Tail less Testors P-40's, pipe bombs and other things Empty
Live on Patrol

Tail less Testors P-40's, pipe bombs and other things

Go down

Tail less Testors P-40's, pipe bombs and other things Empty Tail less Testors P-40's, pipe bombs and other things

Post  rsv1cox Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:56 pm

The Fly-em series, probably the worst of all the control line plastic models with Aurora models probably being the best for detail, materials, and construction.    

But they do fly, see youtube and can be a lot of fun.  My problem is, I have never flown one, soon to be resolved with one of three P-40's that I have.  Readying 20' lines and a stooge. I buy these on the cheap, like most of my models.  If I crash one of these reconstructed models I haven't lost much.  These seem to lose their tails with some regularity.  

Tail less Testors P-40's, pipe bombs and other things P1010450
Tail less Testors P-40's, pipe bombs and other things P1010451
Tail less Testors P-40's, pipe bombs and other things P1010452

Neat way to store the handle

Tail less Testors P-40's, pipe bombs and other things P1010453

Got some more around somewhere, one P-51 hanging on the wall over the display case that I forgot to include.  

Tail less Testors P-40's, pipe bombs and other things P1010454

Added another one this morning, a tail less ME-109 with the unique muffled engine.  Seller wanted $39.95 BIN, I offered $35 and - sold.  Seldom do I pay asking prices always making an offer, it's not the money, it's the game.  

Tail less Testors P-40's, pipe bombs and other things Testor46

Giggles over my reconstructed/painted tails. Smile

Has anyone here actually flown one of these?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Tail less Testors P-40's, pipe bombs and other things Empty Re: Tail less Testors P-40's, pipe bombs and other things

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:25 pm

I have the P-40. Got it ready to fly a few weeks ago but haven't got around to it. Flew it lots as a kid. First thing to break was the spring starter first day I owned it. Next was the undecarriage on the first flight. Had to break it in/fly with a 6X3 prop as the original 3 blade wouldn't let it run. Too much load and snapped a big end off the rod.

Damaged parts replaced (bought half a spare plane) and engine has been run up a couple of times.
Original lines are only 12'. You'll be lucky to get a long enough run on that tiny tank to get airborne. If you do, you'll only get two or three laps, just round & round nose up. Mine has probably 20 degrees elevator movement max.

Still, it was my first and for all its faults I treasure it.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Tail less Testors P-40's, pipe bombs and other things Empty Re: Tail less Testors P-40's, pipe bombs and other things

Post  rsv1cox Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:48 am

Thanks Rod.

I plan on substituting a 5/6" prop too, probably a Cox of some pitch. Maybe not nylon (Ken) but I have some new wood 6/3's that might work. Short time fuel tank appeals to me. Smile

I will build a tail assembly for the ME-109. I build it as a module, scuff the plastic and epoxy it on then lay a fillet of Testors red cement along the underside seam. Should hold. No problem matching the white paint on this one.

I never bought a plastic model airplane until I joined this forum, now I have almost as many of them as I do balsa. Sad Only flew the PT-19 and the Cox Corsair.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:07 pm

Got the Testors 109 today. Better than expected. Unfueled/Unran muffled engine and a straight airframe. I suppose some kid bought it, painted the wingtips, cockpit frame, and spinner silver then broke the tail assembly off and lost interest.

Tail less Testors P-40's, pipe bombs and other things P1010459
Tail less Testors P-40's, pipe bombs and other things P1010461
Tail less Testors P-40's, pipe bombs and other things P1010460

Also made up lines for the BW airplane and built P-40. New 35' Dacron for the BW, old oil soaked, knotted together 17' Dacron lines probably from the 1950's for the P-40. Living on the edge with that plane. Son came over this morning with hopes of flying them but he was called away suddenly with a medical emergency involving a family member. Also got in another Varney F-3 coil belt drive locomotive. 20 + something now. Most didn't run when I got them.

Tail less Testors P-40's, pipe bombs and other things P1010463
Tail less Testors P-40's, pipe bombs and other things P1010462

Got to find a plan for that ME-109 so I can duplicate the tail assembly.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:21 pm

Looks very nice Bob. Along with the rest of your collection.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:14 am

I see your still doing alot of train rebuilds , why you not sharing on here or is it for the train forum ? Good looking models ! Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:19 am

getback wrote:I see your still doing alot of train rebuilds , why you not sharing on here or is it for the train forum ? Good looking models ! Very Happy  

Probably because model trains are boring to most people here and I bore enough already with my plastic model airplane threads.  We are, including me after all mainly balsa builders.  

Too bad though, model locomotives with their variety of models and locomotion's are challenging and interesting.

I do post over on the Model Train Forum.  But they are a snarky group that like to maintain a superior "I know more than you do" attitude.  Bunch of dweebs over there.  But I hold my own and with threat of being banned cut them down to size every so often.  Shows my dark side and I enjoy that.  Smile

But......................

Tail less Testors P-40's, pipe bombs and other things Varney22
Tail less Testors P-40's, pipe bombs and other things P1010464
Tail less Testors P-40's, pipe bombs and other things P1010465

my latest.  A Varney "Dockside".  ebay purchase .99 cents plus $6.50 shipping.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:26 am

I enjoy all your posts...bears, tractor and car builds, trains, resurrecting basket case airplanes and tether cars....never ever think you are boring any of us...cuz it ain't so
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:59 am

fredvon4 wrote:I enjoy all your posts...bears, tractor and car builds, trains, resurrecting basket case airplanes and tether cars....never ever think you are boring any of us...cuz it ain't so

Freddy, so happy to see you chime in here.

I hope everything is going wonderful for you and, when I mentioned dweebs over on the MTF I certainly wasn't including you. Smile

Bob

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down