Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Why cox engines are no longer in production? Cox_ba12

Why cox engines are no longer in production? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Today at 3:45 am

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by latole Today at 3:20 am

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by GallopingGhostler Today at 1:59 am

» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by GallopingGhostler Today at 1:42 am

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:58 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:46 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 3:07 pm

» Removing old decals
by latole Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:29 pm

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by getback Yesterday at 6:46 am

» COX Postage Stamp engine -Babe Bee & Horseshoe Backplate adapters
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 6:33 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Why cox engines are no longer in production? Empty
Live on Patrol

Why cox engines are no longer in production?

Go down

Why cox engines are no longer in production? Empty Why cox engines are no longer in production?

Post  Gordinir8 Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:28 am

I know that there are some new production parts available from cox international, (don't know if they are others too) but why there are no cylinders and pistons or crankcases in production? Are the original tools and equipment available somewhere?
Just wondering if a 100% original cox engine can be manufactured again.
Gordinir8
Gordinir8
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Why cox engines are no longer in production? Empty Re: Why cox engines are no longer in production?

Post  davidll1984 Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:50 am

Tink ur wrong tee dee part and piston new parts made look for the black con rod piston al new exmodel engine did couple td crank mark tel me if wrong
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Why cox engines are no longer in production? Empty Re: Why cox engines are no longer in production?

Post  Levent Suberk Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:44 am

Gordinir8 wrote:I know that there are some new production parts available from cox international, (don't know if they are others too)  but why there are no cylinders and pistons or crankcases in production? Are the original tools and equipment available somewhere?
Just wondering if a 100% original cox engine can be manufactured again.

All pistons and cylinders are OEM in Cox International and EX Model Engines. Most .049 tanked Bee parts are OEM, including Bee crankcase. Several parts like as needle valve, backplates, TD crankcase and fuel tanks are current production, but they also are OEM because manufactured from original Cox technical drawings.
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:27 am

Most available parts are NOS (new old stock). History is available and as such I won't go into detail, so may dates are approximate and not to be taken verbatim. Estes Industries, the model rocket company bought the Cox engine division from is parent company some time in the mid 1990's. They manufactured few new parts from what I understand, relying on stockpiled parts from the old Cox company to assemble new engines.

When Estes was going under, Cox International, Ex Engines and a few others bought the remaining inventory some time in the mid 2000's. The demand for Cox engines is not as high as it was 40 years ago. Bernie at Cox International has been taking existing Sure Start cylinders and converting them to Tee Dee by sending them to a machinist to have the exhaust port lower portion removed to restore SPI (sub-port injection) and remove the center web between the 2 slits.

They are not originals but are the best equivalents today, and what I have heard they are very decent performers.

There are trade offs in these type limited production runs. One is, will there be enough buyers as machining is very expensive in smaller quantities. Usually these companies want minimal quantities in the thousands, to be able to machine them at a price low enough that engine lovers will purchase them. Will they be able to sell that large amount? Unsold inventory is money tied up.

So, you probably will not see new major engine parts unless the demand worldwide is great enough to make it worthwhile to do. The demand isn't there, IMO.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  706jim Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:52 am

There are no new engines simply because times have changed. When model engines were in their heyday, there were no computers, video games or social media (or rap for that matter).

So the younger generation has many other things they can spend their spare time on.

Is it right?

We really can't say, but it is the new reality.
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:23 pm

For everyone's info, we recently received two pallets of Cox items (and other brands)

- About 200 NIB Cox engines from 010 to 09, including a couple each of Medallion NFFS, RR1, Microfilte 010

- About 50 non-cox engines, incl diesels from the UK (Frog, DC, etc) , Holland Hornet, OK Cub, McCoy, Testors, etc

- Bags and bags of parts for 010 to 09 (sorry, no 010 or 020 cylinders)

- About 80 balsa kits, 1/2A size and upwards like Carl Goldberg, Sterling, Ace, Brodak, SIG, Dumas Top-Flite, etc

- Over 100 balsa rubber-band kits

- About 300 static display plastic kits, some vintage and rare (?)

This is going to take quite some time to list; whereas we will probably be auctioning the non-Cox stuff under one of our eBay accounts.
Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.coxengines.com

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:12 pm

Wow Bernie what a bonanza there! I wish I could see those NIB engines..do you have a photo just to have a feel of what engines...reedies...TeeDee-s etc you will have on sale?
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:22 pm

Sorry Andras but there is simply too much merchandise to spread out and take pics. Right now it's all in boxes and bins but there is pretty well several of almost all Cox engine types in the mix.

Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:19 pm

Cox International wrote:For everyone's info, we recently received two pallets of Cox items (and other brands)

- About 200 NIB Cox engines from 010 to 09, including a couple each of Medallion NFFS, RR1, Microfilte 010

- About 50 non-cox engines, incl diesels from the UK (Frog, DC, etc) , Holland Hornet, OK Cub, McCoy, Testors, etc

- Bags and bags of parts for 010 to 09 (sorry, no 010 or 020 cylinders)

- About 80 balsa kits, 1/2A size and upwards like Carl Goldberg, Sterling, Ace, Brodak, SIG, Dumas Top-Flite, etc

- Over 100 balsa rubber-band kits

- About 300 static display plastic kits, some vintage and rare (?)

This is going to take quite some time to list; whereas we will probably be auctioning the non-Cox stuff under one of our eBay accounts.

What is your Ebay accounts?  confused
Don't you have an Ebay store?  What?

sosam117
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:24 pm

Yes of course Smile

http://www.ebaystores.com/COXENGINES (active store with most of the items that are listed on our website www.coxengines.com )

https://www.ebay.com/usr/cocolocotrading (we use occasionally for non-Cox stuff or oddball Cox stuff where we have only one or two pieces or airplane and car parts)
Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:30 pm

my Two Cents There were a 5h1t-load of American I/C model engines/parts/accessories made.. back when they were being made. Related pieces often pop-up for sale on various internet auctions, where anyone can list.. and anyone can search. Then there are the hobby-specific forums/websites and their classifieds to search.. but a membership is usually required. It's almost always worth joining-up. You'll likely meet people who are knowledgeable in the subject-matter of your inquiries.

The I/C miniature-model engine's still have a favorable power:weight ratio over EPS.. (whatever scale..IMHO)

I'm obviously biased.  Smile  

Take into consideration the latest generation of 3D scanning/printing technology, making it possible to reproduce many parts who's dies/castings/molds are non-existent. The ability to clone any object for reproduction in the most efficient manner.. greatly reducing costs as compared to the original production-costs.

Awareness with today's youth is an important factor. We did this.. more than a few years ago..

Promote the forum with flyers

Why cox engines are no longer in production? Jpg_fo10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:42 am

Cox International wrote:Yes of course Smile

http://www.ebaystores.com/COXENGINES  (active store with most of the items that are listed on our website www.coxengines.com )

https://www.ebay.com/usr/cocolocotrading (we use occasionally for non-Cox stuff or oddball Cox stuff where we have only one or two pieces or airplane and car parts)

Thanks Bernie,
I book marked it.
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down