Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

67 and Hoping to get Back Into the Air  Cox_ba12

67 and Hoping to get Back Into the Air  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 17:29

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by rdw777 Today at 16:55

» B-25 Mitchell
by rdw777 Today at 16:49

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by rsv1cox Today at 16:39

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Today at 13:32

» M1Fan...who are you?
by 944_Jim Today at 5:07

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 4:52

» Roddie's water-cooled bench-run vid
by roddie Today at 3:55

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 2:19

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by rsv1cox Today at 1:25

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 21:24

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 17:54

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

67 and Hoping to get Back Into the Air  Empty
Live on Patrol

67 and Hoping to get Back Into the Air

Go down

67 and Hoping to get Back Into the Air  Empty 67 and Hoping to get Back Into the Air

Post  dckrsn Thu 24 Dec 2020 - 23:13

After years of procrastinating, I'm thinking about building a trainer.
I have everything as far as materials. The sirens call, was the new
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Coroplast-Control-Line-Engine-Mount-Man-Win-Trainer-etc-offset-18-degrees/224283092131?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
After studying the plans and photos, I noticed somewhat of a discrepancy. It looks like the tail feathers in the photo
also have an offset not shown or mentioned on the plan.
I can't link the photo, so here's the site. The photo's on top.
http://www.balsabeavers.com/information/plans/manwin.pdf
Any thoughts?
My loving wife asked me if I had an engine for it. At least a hundred was my response.
Doh! Opening for a new mill, gone. Crying or Very sad
Bob
Lighting The Tree Snowman Christmas Tree Bad Xmas Gift
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

67 and Hoping to get Back Into the Air  Empty Re: 67 and Hoping to get Back Into the Air

Post  Cribbs74 Thu 24 Dec 2020 - 23:57

Bob!

That was the best Christmas present you could give me! So glad to hear you have made a step in the right direction.

I know nothing about the man-win trainer. It doesn’t have much going for it apart from looking somewhat robust.

Do you have anyone to fly with or are you planning on a bath mat stooge launch?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

67 and Hoping to get Back Into the Air  Empty Re: 67 and Hoping to get Back Into the Air

Post  NEW222 Fri 25 Dec 2020 - 1:55

Thoughts? You asked for them!

Having been designed here locally, I have flown both the original as well as the one you linked to, and in my opinion is the better of them. I have about 4 or 5 of them all over... So if I am reading your question correctly, you are talking about this:

67 and Hoping to get Back Into the Air  Mwt10

WHat it is is not offset. That is simply the hinge. As the material is 4mm coroplast, what is done is you cut away the material from ONE side of the plane, thus allowing you a 'hinge'. I personally also cut out small sections on both sides just to make the 'hinge' looser. If left full length, it is very stiff. I will post a couple pictures in a minute. As well, that mount looks very nice, and is reasonably priced as well. But I personally just grab some scrap tin (K&S I believe) and bend two up quickly as when you do a figure 9, the engine may bend out of shape, but you grab it and simply bend it back, and fly again.

I use 3 #10 x 3/4" wood screws near the outboard wingtip. And as well, I do not use carbon rod. I simply push a bamboo barbecue skewer in so it is roughly in the middle and call it a day. After it is inserted, I just put a bit of glue in that particular 'flute' on the ends so it does not come out. But I have never had any problems, nor has any of my planes had any damage from doing it this way. I had let many people fly 2 of my planes and they are still as is when I made them. I hope this helps. If not, please feel free and I will do my best to help you out.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri 25 Dec 2020 - 2:01

67 and Hoping to get Back Into the Air  20201217

67 and Hoping to get Back Into the Air  20201218

67 and Hoping to get Back Into the Air  20201216

67 and Hoping to get Back Into the Air  20201219
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri 25 Dec 2020 - 2:03

Sorry I also forgot to mention I remove the complete section from the bottom as opposed to the top as shown on the plan. Personal preference and no adverse effects. I just pass a lighter over the inboard wingtip and on the leadout guide to prep it before gluing. And I use the cheap 5 minute epoxy for that.

Just go for it. You got this! This thing will help you fly again! It is no big performer, but does fly well.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Fri 25 Dec 2020 - 2:37

Cribbs74 wrote:Bob!

That was the best Christmas present you could give me! So glad to hear you have made a  step in the right direction.

I know nothing about the man-win trainer. It doesn’t have much going for it apart from looking somewhat robust.

Do you have anyone to fly with or are you planning on a bath mat stooge launch?
Thank you, Ron. It'll be a solo act for sure. I just have to find
a place to fly. Probably some hidden, unused clearing, maybe a school or something.
There are a few possibilities on some of the campuses, where I work.

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Ron.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri 25 Dec 2020 - 2:44

The only reason I asked was because the model you selected has no gear. Kind of limits your launching methods. Lot’s of info on the bath mat method though. Pretty sure I know what the power plant will be Babe Bee .049
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Fri 25 Dec 2020 - 2:50

NEW222 wrote:Sorry I also forgot to mention I remove the complete section from the bottom as opposed to the top as shown on the plan. Personal preference and no adverse effects. I just pass a lighter over the inboard wingtip and on the leadout guide to prep it before gluing. And I use the cheap 5 minute epoxy for that.

Just go for it. You got this! This thing will help you fly again! It is no big performer, but does fly well.
Thanks Chancey. Between you and Ron, I'm sure I can achieve some sort of success.
I'm not going to turn this into an epic build thread, but i'll keep you guys posted.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Fri 25 Dec 2020 - 2:59

Cribbs74 wrote:The only reason I asked was because the model you selected has no gear. Kind of limits your launching methods. Lot’s of info on the bath mat method though. Pretty sure I know what the power plant will be Babe Bee .049
Yeah, Ron, It'll be the bath mat. I've imagined the first launch several times since
the first time I saw Rusty's video. I also have access to 4' X 8' sheets of corflute, so the runway
thing might be an option.
Wheels be turnin'.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri 25 Dec 2020 - 3:31

Here is teh picture I had. Unfortunately it is not the greatest resolution. I will however try in the next couple of days to redraw it so it will be more clear.
67 and Hoping to get Back Into the Air  Manwin11
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down