Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Electric Cox F-8 Bearcat X2 Cox_ba12

Electric Cox F-8 Bearcat X2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Today at 11:36 am

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 10:48 am

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 10:26 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by getback Today at 9:55 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Today at 8:06 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Electric Cox F-8 Bearcat X2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Electric Cox F-8 Bearcat X2

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Electric Cox F-8 Bearcat X2 Empty Electric Cox F-8 Bearcat X2

Post  rsv1cox Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:20 pm

Has been discussed here before at least once in addition to my recent post.  Not much discussion though.  Understandable in our nitro world.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t13225-cox-bearcat

I did win the second one - $42.  Wanted the control and this one has a propeller.  Another on ebay complete NIB maybe - $200.

First one.

Electric Cox F-8 Bearcat X2 P1010839
Electric Cox F-8 Bearcat X2 P1010837
Electric Cox F-8 Bearcat X2 P1010838

Broken prop held on to the motors shaft by a set screw.  Could remove the prop nut but the shaft just spun, no exhaust port to shove some toothpicks locking the shaft, so I had to disassemble the airframe.  

Rather than tool mark the thrust washer I stuck a brass drift in the hole and spun it off.

Electric Cox F-8 Bearcat X2 P1010840

Takes a 5.5/3P, don't have one and no one is to be found on Cox Int, or at Matts.  Best I can do is a 5/3P.

Electric Cox F-8 Bearcat X2 P1010841

Might as well fix that elevator while I have it apart.  Not easy.  I would like to keep the plastic half and make the other side out of balsa but will probably have to replace the whole thing then hinge.  Sad

Electric Cox F-8 Bearcat X2 P1010842

Second one.  No battery, no canopy, again but an unbroken prop and with the handle.  Wish it was adjustable but imagine it's on/off.

Electric Cox F-8 Bearcat X2 F-8_be12
Electric Cox F-8 Bearcat X2 F-8_be13

BTW, Cox put a quality electric motor in the thing.  Smooth, quiet and powerful.  Not what I expected.

I would like to see an adjustable throttle with click stops so you could select your speeds. Might have to work on something like that. Vroom, vroom. Smile Just like Mauricio and Andras with nitro.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Electric Cox F-8 Bearcat X2 Empty Re: Electric Cox F-8 Bearcat X2

Post  roddie Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:07 pm

That's kinda' cool Robert.. especially by today's standards. The C/L shift has been toward brushless motors controlled by a timer and fed by an "on-board" LiPo battery-pack.

I'm not at all familiar with how yours works though.. Huh... I assume that the battery is remote? I can't imagine it being in the airplane. Is the flight-battery in a "belt-pack"? If so.. the flying-lines must carry the current to power the motor? What is the line-length? It looks to have a Mabuchi or Best/Johnson type 540 can-motor? They will generally run on 6-12V. DC.

Even though it's probably an "on/off" (single-speed) controller; it's nice to have the option to land when you want to.. and also no need for a pit-man or stooge. Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:14 pm

A lot neater way of doing it than an ESC and RX and battery strapped to the side of the fuselage. I think those look tacky at best!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:04 am

Bob, I can do you a good second hand Tornado 5.5x3, but it's white. Otherwise closest I can get is a new Cox 5.5x4P.
Dave
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:46 am

Davenz13 wrote:Bob, I can do you a good second hand Tornado 5.5x3, but it's white. Otherwise closest I can get is a new Cox 5.5x4P.
Dave

Thanks for the offer Dave, I appreciate it. But trouble for you with customs and shipping is too much to ask. I have these coming from Cox Int.

Close enough and I may paint the tips black.

Electric Cox F-8 Bearcat X2 Cox_0411

roddie - pictures. Battery holder clips onto your belt.

Electric Cox F-8 Bearcat X2 Cox_be10
Electric Cox F-8 Bearcat X2 Cox_be11

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:40 am

That's some cool plane there , i think if you wanted to reduce the input speed to the propeller i would do a break in the wires from the battery pack to the controller and use a like dimmer switch to reduce it and see how that works. That way the handle will bee intact . I am surprised the Nicd batt. is still good LOL St.Pats Beers If we don't have the manual for it give to Jacob to put in instructions . Please I Love This Forum!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:45 am

getback wrote:That's some cool plane there , i think if you wanted to reduce the input speed to the propeller i would do a break in the wires from the battery pack to the controller and use a like dimmer switch to reduce it and see how that works. That way the handle will bee intact . I am surprised the Nicd batt. is still good LOL St.Pats Beers If we don't have the manual for it give to Jacob to put in instructions . Please I Love This Forum!

Good advice coming from one Leprechaun to another.  Shamrock Nope, seller says the battery is trash. I will have to make up a set and maybe stuff them into that case.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:01 pm

Electric Cox F-8 Bearcat X2 Cox_be10

Robert, That 9.6V AA NiCd pack should be easy to find.. brand new for cheap $$. I'd buy a couple of them. It looks to have a standard "Tamiya" style connector.. (very common). Most packs that have a wiring-harness will have that type of connector. (You DON'T want a pack without a harness.)

Were the flying-wires included with the model? I'm curious of their construction/gauge and length.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:18 pm

roddie wrote:
Robert, That 9.6V AA NiCd pack should be easy to find.. brand new for cheap $$. I'd buy a couple of them. It looks to have a standard "Tamiya" style connector.. (very common). Most packs that have a wiring-harness will have that type of connector. (You DON'T want a pack without a harness.)

Were the flying-wires included with the model? I'm curious of their construction/gauge and length.

Me too roddie, two of those show the wires, one looks new (just above).  

Now I have three.

Price keeps going up. $19.99, $49 something, and $69 something. I wasn't going to get the last one but Eric shamed me into it.  I didn't make myself clear in my post above that I hadn't bought it.  Pictures were for reference.  But Eric suggested that I post the instructions on this sites "Instructions" list so I was boxed in.  Smile Smile, yeah, like a hungry man to a sizzling pork chop.  But it has a box and looks new.  Will go on the shelf with my others and i can use the canopy as a guide to make a couple more.  And...............I can post those instructions.  Smile

Oh yes, pretty common battery, and i probably have a couple stuffed in my R/C models. But, I'm getting new anyway

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Ni-Cd-AA-Battery-9-6V-700mAh-Pack-Rechargeable-For-RC-Car-Toys/284184225364?hash=item422ab32654:g:Cg8AAOSwAblgKSka

as those are so old as to be unreliable. I have been meaning to get out all those R/Cer's and charge the battery's anyway.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:48 pm

So you're not sure yet, what the flying-wires (lines) length is.. I would guess not much longer than 20 feet.. if even that long. Huh... Being electrical; they're bound to be "draggy". They're carrying current.. and the resistance must be quite high.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:37 am

roddie wrote:So you're not sure yet, what the flying-wires (lines) length is.. I would guess not much longer than 20 feet.. if even that long. Huh... Being electrical; they're bound to be "draggy". They're carrying current.. and the resistance must be quite high.

I watched a youtube video of two guys flying combat with these in a hangar or auditorium and it looked like the lines were 20/25'. They were not slow, zipping around pretty good. Forgot to save it and I can't find it again.

On my way to fixing the broken elevator. First I had to use a heat gun to take out the severe dihedral in the horizontal stab. I cut a piece of brass tubing to fit and it slides over the bitter end of the left-over plastic shaft. Going to crimp it on after filling the tube with plastic cement and hope that it holds. If not I will have to build a whole new elevator. Going to use yellow vinyl tape as a hinge on both sides, lengthwise perforated with an exacto knife at the seam every quarter inch or so. This stuff is strong, light, and flexible and won't be corrupted by spent castor.

Electric Cox F-8 Bearcat X2 P1010847
Electric Cox F-8 Bearcat X2 P1010848

My plan. Use this one as my flyer. As I'm subject to the dizzies, cut if off every few laps until I bring my tolerance up a bit. Ought to take no more than two weeks "flying" 24 hours a day seven days a week.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:07 am

Yeah Blame it on Me !! lol! lol! lol!  Thats OK its your Money Toss Hats Off  So is the one pictured coming to the house ? I looked for the Video too and now can't find it (it's all in the wording ) But they were fling pretty good inside i believe .
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:33 am

getback wrote:Yeah Blame it on Me !! lol! lol! lol!  Thats OK its your Money Toss Hats Off  So is the one pictured coming to the house ? I looked for the Video too and now can't find it (it's all in the wording ) But they were fling pretty good inside i believe .

Smile Smile Smile

Yes, coming to the house, got an "early delivery" date on it from UPS even!! I think they are trying to play make-up. Smile Still the "YES I am home" sign goes up if it's signature required.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  germanbuddy Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:14 am

getback wrote:Yeah Blame it on Me !! lol! lol! lol!  Thats OK its your Money Toss Hats Off  So is the one pictured coming to the house ? I looked for the Video too and now can't find it (it's all in the wording ) But they were fling pretty good inside i believe .

....Video ? ... maybe this one ?.

COX collector Richard with white shirt and me flying at B.P.M.V. Indoors Meet 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O85LrJdXy_A

This Site Rocks! St.Pats Beers

Greetings Peter
germanbuddy
germanbuddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:05 pm

germanbuddy wrote:

....Video ? ... maybe this one ?.

COX collector Richard with white shirt and me flying at B.P.M.V. Indoors Meet 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O85LrJdXy_A

This Site Rocks! St.Pats Beers

Greetings Peter

Thanks Peter, I'm pretty sure that's it.  What, 20 foot lines?   Did you get dizzy?  Smile

I saved it this time.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  germanbuddy Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:03 pm

Line length ? we both used included (Box) "COX Bearcat" lines .
Dizzyness Shocked  ?
I dont get dizzy flying my other (F2D Profi) toy
which brings much "more FUN" and pushes my lower Adrenalin level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ha-hP7ABFk

Peter
GER-1223
germanbuddy
germanbuddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:46 pm

germanbuddy wrote:Line length ? we both used included (Box) "COX Bearcat" lines .
Dizzyness Shocked  ?
I dont get dizzy flying my other (F2D Profi) toy
which brings much "more FUN" and pushes my lower Adrenalin level.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ha-hP7ABFk

Peter
GER-1223

Pretty radical Peter. You didn't get dizzy because you stood in one place most of the time doing figure Z's Smile Beautiful place to fly.

What I meant was - do you remember the length of the lines that Cox supplied with the model?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:21 pm

Hey Robert! I'm wondering; if you had to make your own lines to fly the model.. what you'd need to source.. Huh... If we're talking 20-25 feet.. maybe you could try some .008" SS braided line (SIG P/N SH-450) direct to the bellcrank.. (for the physical workload) and spiral-wrap that line with the electric-wire for the motor. Maybe run just one conducting-wire.. and use the SS braid for the ground??? Huh... There's people here on the forum, that know a WHOLE-LOT more than me.. about this stuff.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:31 pm

We'll know tomorrow roddie at least one maybe two is showing up.

I do have steel lines but the shortest is 52'.  No way it will fly on those.  Seems those lines should be insulated.

What is strange, look where the lead-out guides are located.

Electric Cox F-8 Bearcat X2 Bearca10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:22 pm

rsv1cox wrote:We'll know tomorrow roddie at least one maybe two is showing up.

I do have steel lines but the shortest is 52'.  No way it will fly on those.  Seems those lines should be insulated.

I'd really enjoy seeing you re-train C/L on a model that you could throttle remotely. The vids of those guys flying indoor-combat with these airplanes.. made me smile. The Cox scale-model Bearcats looked good in the air.. yellow as they were.. Smile

I LIKE the yellow vinyl tape Robert. That'll work for a hinge. It's just one more of those things that you need to flight-check. Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:30 pm

rsv1cox wrote:

What is strange, look where the lead-out guides are located.

Electric Cox F-8 Bearcat X2 Bearca10

Yes.. we can't even call that "mid-wing".. but watching the vids.. it works..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:08 pm

Wow. Looking good. Congrats on the ebay wins! Glad you got them and they are off to a great home! The rebuild on the 'flyer' is coming along great.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:12 pm

Bob, I know you don’t Facebook, I do, but I don’t Twitter so, there’s that. Anyway there is a guy on FB that’s converting the electric Bear Cat to Nitro.  Here’s some pictures to get your creative juices flowing:

Electric Cox F-8 Bearcat X2 7551b210
Electric Cox F-8 Bearcat X2 D0ae8710
Electric Cox F-8 Bearcat X2 8442aa10
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:59 am

Thanks all.

I really like that conversion Rene.  Who knows, after playing around with the fixer-upper a bit, I might just do that.  I have a can of Krylon's "Fusion" paint in Navy blue that I used on my Corsair that would work great and a nice selection of Cox engines to choose from.  

Electric Cox F-8 Bearcat X2 Navy_h10

Cut the wings to add the required amount of dihedral, build a turtle deck and source a canopy.   Opps......may be a bit outside my skill level.......Sad
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:14 pm

Both Cox electric F-8's arrived today, same driver but operating a Penske truck.

I was walking back from the mailbox when I saw him pull in. He wished me a good-day and I him the same. My war with UPS has abated somewhat.

Electric Cox F-8 Bearcat X2 P1010850

To much to do to open them today. Maybe tomorrow.

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down