Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Need Info on the Attack Cobra Cox_ba12

Need Info on the Attack Cobra Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Today at 11:36 am

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 10:48 am

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 10:26 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by getback Today at 9:55 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Today at 8:06 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Need Info on the Attack Cobra Empty
Live on Patrol

Need Info on the Attack Cobra

Go down

Need Info on the Attack Cobra Empty Need Info on the Attack Cobra

Post  PhantomAvenue Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:07 pm

I just got a Attack Cobra .049 USMC (I hope that is good enough information) and my question is if there's any info someone can give info on it like a year it came out, how much it cost, or where can I get fuel. Please know I have no previous experience with anything like this.
Also is there any good use for the motor in a separate project too?

Last edited by PhantomAvenue on Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : New question)
PhantomAvenue
PhantomAvenue

Back to top Go down

Need Info on the Attack Cobra Empty Re: Need Info on the Attack Cobra

Post  davidll1984 Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:08 pm

here are some tips from the info archives instruction sheets Need Info on the Attack Cobra Screen97
You can find several things on the site, take the time to search For the fuel to be used it is an important
even crucial for the engine To no how To Mix the ingredients correctly castor oil nitro méthanol dont use fuel for bugy just as le it nead castor oil
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:24 pm

I have no idea about the year, but every you need to get it started can be found here.

http://www.exmodelengines.com/

Or here

https://coxengines.ca/

You can yank the engine and use it on many RC and CL projects.

I’ll let someone else chime in about the fuel. But here is where I buy mine: Sig 25%

https://sigmfg.com/
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:47 pm

From Martin Hepperle's  web page:  http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_frameset.htm ( found in the Instructions tab on the LH side of page)

Need Info on the Attack Cobra 450210

Production ran 1997-98 for the USMC attack Cobra
1993-1997 for the Yellow Cobra or SharkTeeth decals.

there is a complete owners manual in the Instructions files too!

https://sites.google.com/site/coxengineid/Cox%20Attack%20Cobra%20owners%20manual.pdf?attredirects=0&d=1

Last edited by Marleysky on Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:52 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spellcheck hepperle)
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:57 am

Hi PhantomAvenue,

Welcome to the forum!
Care to share a bit about yourself?
Where do you live? Maybe one of us is near enough to you that we can help directly.
How old are you? We are all over the board on this one...so I tend to look at it as "young," "between childhood#1 and working class," "on second childhood," etc.
What kind of work do you do?
What hobbies/transferable skillsets do you have?

No need to give a hard number on age, but the answers to the other questions will help us dial in answers that will be tailored to your experiences.

The engine in your chopper is known as a product engine. This is a typical reed valve engine that works well with methanol-based fuel very much like any other glow-powered RC model you may be familiar with. Look just to the left below "latest topics" for "Instruction sheets." Note that your engine was designed for fuel with about 25% nitro, and about 20% oil...in fact the Cox fuel blend spec sheets are in the "Instruction sheets" area too! Very Happy

However, typical RC fuel lacks castor oil, which is very important to the ball and socket joint between the piston and connecting rod. If any of your local buddies has any RC fuel, you can doctor it up with  castor oil from a pharmacy or Walmart...that way you aren't diving deep into a gallon of fuel before deciding this isn't for you.

A more convenient solution is to buy GlowPlugBoy fuel in quart containers from the seller on eBay, or buy a quart from SigMFG. Should you have an RC buddy with glow-engines and fuel, you need to ask him for "the numbers" of his fuel. A small bottle of castor oil from Walmart is about $4. Shoot the numbers to us here, so that we can run them through a fuel content calculator to give you the appropriate amount of castor oil to protect the engine.

I would recommend removing the engine from the model so you can benchtest the engine. That way you learn how to operate it before trying it while also holding the helicopter. Screwing the engine to a block of 2x4, a short piece of fuel line, and an empty travel shampoo bottle will give you a secure/safe way to learn the engine. Two or three D-cell batteries in parallel (all + tips tied to each other, all - bases tied to each other) with a couple feet of 16 gauge wire (light speaker wire is fine if you have any), and a pair of cheasy alligator clips will work to light your glow plug.

Since you asked about what else can be done with the engine...well, it would work just fine in a small RC plane, or installed into a control line model airplane. A really cheap model is the ManWin trainer made from corrugated plastic sign board. Or do you fancy a balsa wood plane? Do you have a buddy that will help you fly? Or are you planning on a stooge release?

Here is the starting of a Babe Bee with integrated fuel tank...yours will be very similar in starting:

"That guy" also shows a few model airplanes with very similar engines. Note the string-operated stooge for solo-release/flying. While he flies over concrete, I know for a fact he would fly over grass if he had a buddy launching from hands rather than ground launching.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomAvenue Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:27 am

Well I might as well share a bit since I think I have plans to reuse the motor and plan to ask questions.
Live in Texas
Too young to even start working
Have no previous experience but I did do a small project on hydraulic brakes a year ago in which I learned how to solder
My momma gave the helicopter to me after I was thinking to get another motor and even thinking about acquiring a lawnmower engine for a project. It had belonged to my dad after she had gifted it to him and it hasn't been touched after year because they ran out of fuel.
Also note that I don't have friends that can help me with this since this pretty much outdates them.
PhantomAvenue
PhantomAvenue

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:40 am

PA,

I took a good look at your chopper picture. You have a mini-integrated tank hanging from your product backplate. In order to use the engine on a plane, that tank will most likely need to be removed so you can attach a slightly bigger tank...or expect a significantly short flight. I'm afraid removing that tank will weaken th plastic enough that it will no longer snap back on after several cycles.

In order to beat that issue, you can switch the backplate/tank out for a bare backplate. It is only four screws and a paper gasket. Here is your quick way to a spare:
https://coxengines.ca/cox-.049-backplate-assembly.html

http://www.exmodelengines.com/product.php?productid=17896&cat=268&page=1

Have you checked the "Instruction Sheets" for a product engine break-down?
See here with integrated tank:
https://sites.google.com/site/nitroengine/Surestart.pdf?attredirects=0
And this so closer with a parts breakdown:
https://sites.google.com/site/nitroengine/Banana-1.pdf?attredirects=0

Do you have the wrench that takes the top end apart? You'll need it to replace a glow head.
https://coxengines.ca/cox-.049-wrench.html

http://www.exmodelengines.com/product.php?productid=17631&cat=258&page=1

I have a short pile of engines...shoot me a PM with your physical address. I'll send a runner to you free, with a bit of fuel line and a travel shampoo bottle. That way you can learn the engine without disassembling your tribute model. The engine can be used later on a control line model airplane.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:42 pm

Where in Texas?
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster