Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy Cox_ba12

Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» audio-tach anyone?
by 944_Jim Today at 9:53 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Today at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Today at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 2:43 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Today at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 10:26 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy Empty
Live on Patrol

Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy Empty Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy

Post  Admin Mon May 10, 2021 2:20 am

A neighbor one block over had this sitting at the bottom of their driveway with a free sign on it that said "runs, could use tune up".

Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy Img_4013

and I couldn't resist leaving it there. Crazy Eyes

As some of you may remember, I've posted about another old Lawn-Boy I've been keeping on life support since I got it free over a decade ago. The other day, I just used it for the first cut of the year.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t9732-it-was-the-damn-switch#123436
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t10871-it-was-the-damn-primer-bulb#137410

Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy 20140610

This "new" Lawn-Boy is a self-propelled model. "Gold Series". Model #10520. Dates to 1995. 4.5 HP F-series "Commercial Grade Engine". I have absolutely nowhere to store another lawnmower, the main reason I haven't jumped on the numerous Craigslist ads I see all the time for old Lawn-Boys. But anyway, it does run and the self-propelled drive mech is very strong. I'm going to clean it up, put a new needle and seat in it, maybe a new float, sharpen the blade (it is the dullest blade I've ever seen) and go from there.

It's heavy (despite the aluminum deck), and it's not as easy to manuver around obstacles as it is with my old Lawn-Boy, so I have no plans to retire that old mower.

Perhaps I'll fold up and remove the handle, mothball it, and stick it way up in the back of the shed until I throw the rod in my old one. Or maybe I'll see if the next door neighbor would like it... (although if they've ever noticed me laying in the middle of the yard next to my old one rewinding the pull start or messing with the carb, I wouldn't be surprised if they declined).

Anyone on here want it? Eyebrows

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy Empty Re: Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy

Post  getback Mon May 10, 2021 7:09 am

That's a good looking Lawn Boy , the heaver ones will mow a better line and SP to boot ! I seen this and thought (maybe he needs a coil) LOL I got one i got a coil for to get running and i think i went through the carb. too But come to find out the bearing in the wheels and sp gears are ate up witch leads to the trans axle worn beyond hope without replacing>>>> I am talking for sale repaired mower , cause I don't push or walk behind No more . I would run the new to you new one for a while , if it does good put the other on Facebook /Craig's or what every to buy some fuel . Two Cents Beer Cheers   ** Do yourself a favor and take the rear wheels off ck. the axle bearing and remove the gears * Bee sure to put them back on the SAME way you got them off * Grease the drive key spring assy. , this will help the mower alot from being a PIA in the middle of the summer * I was a mechanic on this stuff most my life Small Cox Logo Babe Bee .049 Small Cox Logo This is more fun!! lol! I Love This Forum!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy Empty Re: Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy

Post  OhBee Mon May 10, 2021 7:54 pm

I've got one older than both of those! Last time I used it the spark went away! Points good..coil checked out OK.....no spark! I liked that light little bugger for small jobs! Sounded just like my 3hp Johnson outboard!....same company ...OMC.....OUTBOARD MARINE CORPORATION.
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Mon May 10, 2021 8:17 pm

OhBee wrote:I've got one older than both of those! Last time I used it the spark went away! Points good..coil checked out OK.....no spark!   I liked that light little bugger for small jobs! Sounded just like my 3hp Johnson outboard!....same company ...OMC.....OUTBOARD MARINE CORPORATION.
Same company here. Spent a couple of years in
an OMC Mustang chain driven skid loader. If I'm
not mistaken, It had a Saab V-4 in it. One winter
the owner and myself hooked a log splitter to the
hydraulic take offs, and made the mother of all
splitters. We split a few pieces across the grain,
and the engine didn't even wince. Cut 'em with a
loud pop.
Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy Bcfc7310
Bob

Last edited by dckrsn on Mon May 10, 2021 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Mon May 10, 2021 8:28 pm

Different OMC...OWATONNA MANUFACTUING COMPANY. Worked there a few years. Built the Mustang main chassis!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Mon May 10, 2021 8:36 pm

Huh, I did not know that.
Thanks, OhBee
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Mon May 10, 2021 8:46 pm

Ya....Owatonna Mn. We also built a 440 model ...which was painted green and badged as a John Deere!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Mon May 10, 2021 9:48 pm

I miss our old 2 stroke Lawn Boy mowers. Still actually have one left, but the rest all got sold. They sure wind up good and loud, but they just seem to cut and not die!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  706jim Tue May 11, 2021 8:31 am

We had an old Lawn Boy. I recall finding grass in the crank case and it still ran.
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Tue May 11, 2021 3:15 pm

Not surprizing...the crank runs in brass bushings not bearings....they wear out if the gas oil mix isn't 16/1. Same as my old 3 hp Johnson! The grass was taking up the slop ! Otherwise they got so loose they lost crankcase pressure and quit running!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue May 11, 2021 6:53 pm

I wonder if they (Lawn Boy/OMC) made mowers for IH? I remember (circa 1973) using my uncle's push-mower on his lawn. It had a yellow deck with white plastic "hood" over the engine. I'm pretty sure it was an IH badged mower. The engine was a 2-stroke.. and it resembled the Lawn Boy machines.  

Yes.. I found an image of one on google..

Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy Ih-law11
Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy Ih-law12
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue May 11, 2021 9:37 pm

Very cool. I'm sure OMC made that mower for IH. Same deck, same nuclear wheels, same chute and plate as seen on the lawn boys...

OhBee wrote:Not surprizing...the crank runs in brass bushings not bearings....they wear out if the gas oil mix isn't 16/1. Same as my old 3 hp Johnson! The grass was taking up the slop !  Otherwise they got so loose they lost crankcase pressure and  quit running!

These engines (at least the F series engines) use needle roller bearings for the crankshaft. They have crank seals that do go bad and can be replaced fairly easily without even having to remove the engine from the deck or split the crankcase. When the lower crank seal failed on my old Lawn-Boy, oil would seep out onto the base plate and deck. It still ran like that however and was not even difficult to start. If you don't replace leaking crank seals, you run the risk of dirt and sand getting sucked into the needle bearings.

Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy 20150711

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Wed May 12, 2021 3:18 am

Not even crank seals in my old one..just bronze crank bushings! I think its from the early 60's. Everything on that International version looks just like my old green one except the color!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Wed May 12, 2021 4:55 am

A good mower for mowing inclines with a 4-stroke mower. the oil is all on one side because of lubrication is used more quickly not with a good old 2 stroke When I was younger I worked in a small mechanical garage I repaired small 2-stroke 4-stroke engines The gardener earthmoving team liked them to make the land incline wit An essential tool for them
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed May 12, 2021 5:24 am

Her you go David
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Wed May 12, 2021 9:14 am

This one strange Shocked lol!
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed May 12, 2021 7:51 pm

getback wrote:Her you go David

oh my gawd.. that's funny... There was another.. that had a "string-trimmer" design. It was called a "Fly-mo". The design excelled for mowing steep slopes.

Here's a "Toro" model..

Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy Toro-f10

an Atco design..

Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy Atco_h10

and a more modern one..

Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy Flymo-10
Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy Flymo-11

I like the "string-trim" concept. It seems to antiquate cutting-blades.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:12 pm

...and, here we go again. Two more Lawn Boy mowers followed me home this past weekend.

The city-wide garage sale was held this past weekend and these were sitting at the curb of one sale with free signs stuck on them.

Model 4262 from 1987. Steel deck with an F series engine using a metal Walbro carb.
Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy Img_9018
Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy Img_9020

There was a mouse nest under shroud, and the engine was caked with oily dirt. After cleaning up as much as I could from the outside, I removed the carb and gave it a deep cleaning. I don't have a carb kit for it yet, so I reassembled it as-is. I flushed out the gas tank with water and noticed a leak from a small crack near the seam (but not at the seam). I used a soldering iron to fuse the crack back together. I reassembled the mower, put a little bit of 32:1 in it, and it fired right up! It ran fairly well for the several minutes I let it run. The next time I need to cut the yard, I'll use it and see how it goes.

I did get the rear grass bag for it (not shown). It looks a bit smaller than the bags used on the side-bagger models.

Now this one is cool: I also got a model 8229EA from 1971-72. Light weight magnesium deck with a D449E engine. This must've been one of the more expensive models back in the day, battery-electric start and self-propelled!

Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy Img_9019
Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy Img_9021
Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy Img_9022
Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy Img_9024
Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy Img_9023

It's in a bit rough condition, but the magnesium deck has no cracks or pinholes (that I can see) in it. I have yet to dive in on this mower and try to get it going. Hopefully the engine is in good condition with no major issues, as this is the one I'd really like to have running.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:40 am

Hi Admin,
Nice LawnBoys....
The 70s era ones were/are bulletproof. (before the 'safety bar')
Light, bag or mulch, great machines.
An elec start Magnesium self propelled LawnBoy ? Cool
Now that ! Is Cool !
Take care,
Have fun,
Dave
HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:47 am

Cool Freebies and one running already , how goo is that !?! Hope you can get the lighter Mag. deck one going ! Use to love adjusting the governor on them felt like you were going to stick your fingers in the flywheel LOL
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:58 am

Love those Jacob. One more thing for me to lust over.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:06 pm

Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy Img_9025

I got the shroud off of the old one, another mouse nest inside.

The original battery is missing (probably for the best, would've likely done quite a bit of damage if it were to leak). I grabbed a weak but charged 12 volt SLA battery I pulled out of a car jump starter pack that I need to order a new battery for and connected it to the battery wires on the mower. Turning the key on the mower, the electric starter motor spun up.

I cleaned much of the loose dirt off of it, still a long way to go. It has decent compression, however it has no spark. This is an old points and condenser system (unlike the solid-state system that came a few years later), so hopefully the issue is dirty points and not a bad coil. Replacement coils (even used working coils) command quite a few $$ these days.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:09 pm

I loved my old LawnBoy. We inherited a 1987 self-propelled version from my wife's uncle when we moved to Mississippi in 2000. I nursed it along for another 8 years before the crank seals could no longer keep/pump air/fuel to the top end. I even scored an aftermarket bagging unit from a buddy's small engine shop when I bought/installed my first carb kit on it. Sadly, I couldn't find the seals.
That beast was the best small grass cutter I've owned!
Sigh!

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:24 pm

First mowers I ever used were the old Lawn Boy lawnmowers. Dad always had a supply of them, even though they all ran and somehow couldn't kill them. However, neighbours didn't care for dad cutting the grass early.....
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:41 pm

Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy Img_9026

I Ωed out the coil and compared the readings to those given on another forum, and they fall right in line, so that is a good sign the coil is perhaps still good. I have a set of points and a new condenser on order.

https://www.mytractorforum.com/threads/lawn-boy-d-series-coils.1355129/page-2

944_Jim wrote:
That beast was the best small grass cutter I've owned!
Sigh!

Keep your eyes peeled on Craigslist, it shouldn't take long to see one that somebody just wants to get rid of.

Be careful though, for some reason they tend to multiply... and I'm now completely out of room for these things.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next