Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Yet another "What are these?" post. Cox_ba12

Yet another "What are these?" post. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 12:24 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Today at 11:51 am

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by duaneh Today at 11:48 am

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by GallopingGhostler Today at 10:36 am

» Internet buy
by Ken Cook Today at 9:15 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by GallopingGhostler Today at 8:26 am

» Sherline lathe wont run
by getback Today at 7:15 am

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 7:38 pm

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2022
by roddie Yesterday at 5:59 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 11:12 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:43 am

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Mon May 13, 2024 8:57 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Yet another "What are these?" post. Empty
Live on Patrol

Yet another "What are these?" post.

Go down

Yet another "What are these?" post. Empty Yet another "What are these?" post.

Post  Zarni Wed May 12, 2021 3:36 pm

So I bought a plane from somebody and in the deal were some boxes of parts.

I later found in one of the boxes a bag of small glow engines.
When I was a kid in the 70's I had a couple of cars that used .049's ,however I haven't been around any since.

I don't know anyone who uses these so I am wondering are these worth trying to sell?

Any info would be appreciated.  Very Happy

Yet another "What are these?" post. Img_2012
Yet another "What are these?" post. Img_2010
Yet another "What are these?" post. Img_2013
Zarni
Zarni
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Yet another "What are these?" post. Empty Re: Yet another "What are these?" post.

Post  rsv1cox Wed May 12, 2021 5:05 pm

Gold mine.

Cox .045 tether car motor, Cox.020/049's (one thin wall, one thick), Aurora .049 or .061 probably .049, .061's had red fuel tanks, Spitzy, Wen-Mac, etc.

The tether car motor is the star.

Welcome to the forum.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Yet another "What are these?" post. Empty Re: Yet another "What are these?" post.

Post  dckrsn Wed May 12, 2021 6:58 pm

Woo Daddy, Zarni!
I'm glad you found the forum. Gotta agree with
rsv1cox.That's quite a cache of engines. Do a
little research. eBay and  the search feature here,
should give you an idea of what the market value
is. I'm hoping you'll realize what you have, and
find a use for some or most of these engines,
especially the tether car engine. Restore that one,
and get a car on eBay, and you'll have a diamond.
WELCOME TO THE FORUM ZARNI
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Wed May 12, 2021 8:07 pm

Some of this engine is worth a lot If you want to put them back in working order Take the time to familiarize yourself with this type of engine To do no more damage than good because with certin of this engine the parts are impossible to obtain Before even cleaning, take the right information Someone here could do it for you if you don't believe you can do it without breaking the bank You should try with the two cox .049 engines to adapt them on a plane it is very reliable in a good way to learn After having learned well with the others you could easily restore the .045 car engine With the help of other members their advice will be precious to you take time To ask Somting Seems strange to you just ask
We will be happy to answer you welcome have a good time here the member are very respectful with the others here This Site Rocks! I Love This Forum!
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarni Thu May 13, 2021 6:48 am

Thanks everyone for letting me know. And the warm welcome!

Unfortunately I am not in a position to take on the task of fixing these up.
The parts of these are on the small side of my comfort level.

So I am off to find some value information starting in the "For Sale " section here.

Is it frowned upon to post engines here other than Cox ones?

I have another bag of engines that are a little bigger I think in the similar age range.
They say 15 , 09 etc on them but I don't know if anybody would be interested in them.

If it isn't cool that's fine.

Zarni
Zarni
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu May 13, 2021 6:55 am

Zarni wrote:Thanks everyone for letting me know. And the warm welcome!

Unfortunately I am not in a position to take on the task of fixing these up.
The parts of these are on the small side of my comfort level.

So I am off to find some value information starting in the "For Sale " section here.

Is it frowned upon to post engines here other than Cox ones?

I have another bag of engines that are a little bigger I think in the similar age range.
They say 15 , 09 etc on them but I don't know if anybody would be interested in them.

If it isn't cool that's fine.

"I don't know if anybody would be interested in them?"

Ha, you are the chicken in the Foxes den.  If I had not sworn off buying anything more you would already have an offer in your PM box.  Good bunch of guys here, you should get multiple offers and requests to see those other engines.  Good luck.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarni Thu May 13, 2021 8:51 pm

These ones are rough I think.
Only 2 turn, The one in the fox 15x box and the the "McCoy 29" with the red head.
But the one with the red head has a lable saying it has " A loss of compression after starting".

Yet another "What are these?" post. P5130111
Zarni
Zarni
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri May 14, 2021 4:13 am

Zarni wrote:These ones are rough I think.
Only 2 turn, The one in the fox 15x box and the the "McCoy 29" with the red head.
But the one with the red head has a lable saying it has " A loss of compression after starting".

Yet another "What are these?" post. P5130111

That's a really neat Enya .09 on the right.  Great little engine.  The four at the bottom are all Fox.  Three Rocket .099s, two of which have had their mfuel tanks hacked off, and probably a Fox .07.  Not sure about the one with the blue head.  Still, nice bunch of engines.  Shouldn't have any trouble getting a few $$ for them.

Rod.

Oh, also just noticed, that's probably a carb off an Enya .29 or .35, looking at the square neck.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri May 14, 2021 2:28 pm

The blue engine is a O&R .29 with the bullet tank. It dates to 1950. Very anemic engines but neat. This was nearing the end of the line for O&R as glow had just been introduced in 1948 and was dominating quickly. The 3 engines on the bottom with the rear intake is the Fox Rocket .09's. Two have had their crankcases cutoff which seriously detracts their value. The one that's missing it's tank bank has the full case intact but the backplate is missing. That's not a easy part to source. The engines were severely under powered which had Duke practically destroy many of them and the parts for them sat around for nearly 50 years in barrels. The engines are sideport configuration and will run forward or backwards. I like these engines as I use them for free flight models.

The engine on the bottom left is a Fox .10 Hustler. A very improved version over the Fox Rocket .09. It had decent power. Plugs are not so easy to source for these but I see you have a few extras. The Fox .09 plug and .10 plugs interchange even though they have different shapes.

The Redhead Mccoy could possibly be salvageable. They were mass produced and quality control was far from good. It's not surprising it has little to no compression. However, Mccoy used paper fiber gaskets in the head and the base of the cylinder. These could be replaced and you might have a fine running engine. It also could live up to its typical reputation and be a parts engine.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri May 14, 2021 3:20 pm

I wanted to guess O&R Ken, the ribbing on the case a give-away but I have never seen a blue head O&R so I kept my keyboard shut, often my best contribution to the forum while waiting for you to come along.

If Zarni looks closely he should see O&R cast into the intake stack.  

Yet another "What are these?" post. P1010985
Yet another "What are these?" post. P1010986

Yet another "What are these?" post. P1010987

Edit:

Ugh, looking at the pictures I really should clean it up and mount it on a base.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarni Fri May 14, 2021 4:08 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:  Three Rocket .099s, two of which have had their mfuel tanks hacked off,

It is impressive what you guys can discern just by looking at a quick picture.
Yeah, I thought they looked odd but didn't really know why.

As they seem to be mostly parts engines, I am going to be posting this last bag-o-engines in the for sale section once I can figure out how to box these up and come up with a price. (Someone did grab the first bag).

And now I know what those letters are on the front of the blue head engine Wink
Yet another "What are these?" post. P5140110

Zarni
Zarni
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri May 14, 2021 5:12 pm

Forgot to add that.  Sad  But sounds like you knew anyway.  Ohlsson & Rice.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri May 14, 2021 7:42 pm

The O&R is missing it's drive washer and prop washer. These are always missing. A Fox .35 version will work though. However, the needle valve is still there which is nice because O&R used the smallest spraybar for their engines making it difficult to source another. Many times the bolt on front blocks the displacement and O&R logo making it darn near impossible to see what one has. I see this one has it on the front of the venturi stack. There should be a W shaped piece of metal inside the venturi stack which the needle valve assembly passes through. If this isn't in there, the engine won't draw fuel.

Bob , the older K&B Torps also had the round crankcase with ribbing on them. O&R used blue and also red anodizing on these engines towards the end. I enjoy conversations in regards to these engines. I have 3 running examples in new like condition which I enjoy just running. I run them really rich and slow and smoke the whole place up. The blue and red versions were detuned. The cylinders are not removable on a O&R. The jug is spot welded on and it wasn't uncommon to blow the jug off of the case so O&R really tamed these later versions down.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarni Fri May 21, 2021 2:39 pm

I gave up.
I couldn't come up with a reasonable price for the engines in the second picture so I posted them in the for sale section with "Make an offer"

I really appreciate all the information everyone here has given me. This Site Rocks!

If anyone who has posted in this thread (and lives in the USA) makes an offer on the motors, I would be happy to ship first.
Then if you're happy with what you receive you could then send Paypal or check, money order etc.

Last edited by Zarni on Fri May 21, 2021 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I didn't take into account how global this forum is)
Zarni
Zarni
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum