Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Bye Bye MG Midget and be comfortable in the knowledge that yours is sort after. Cox_ba12

Bye Bye MG Midget and be comfortable in the knowledge that yours is sort after. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by DanMc Today at 7:25 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by 944_Jim Today at 7:04 pm

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by 944_Jim Today at 4:31 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by balogh Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 3:58 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Today at 3:46 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Today at 3:07 pm

» Removing old decals
by latole Today at 3:06 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 2:29 pm

» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by 944_Jim Today at 11:52 am

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» COX Postage Stamp engine -Babe Bee & Horseshoe Backplate adapters
by GallopingGhostler Today at 6:33 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Bye Bye MG Midget and be comfortable in the knowledge that yours is sort after. Empty
Live on Patrol

Bye Bye MG Midget and be comfortable in the knowledge that yours is sort after.

Go down

Bye Bye MG Midget and be comfortable in the knowledge that yours is sort after. Empty Bye Bye MG Midget and be comfortable in the knowledge that yours is sort after.

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:47 am

Copied and pasted here from the MG Midget forum:

End of an era for me.

I have owned MG's for most of the past 50 years. No more, at 83 this is it for me. Bought this one five years ago for $250, sold for $2K which is about what I had in it. Labor/restoration a plus, what I enjoy doing.

I listed it on Craigslist yesterday at 3 pm, and my son put it on Facebook Marketplace at the same time. (I don't do Facebook.) Within an hour I had three responses, my son had 13. Sold it this morning eighteen hours later to the third person that stopped by. Would have sold it to the other two if I lowered my price. At the end, my son's Facebook ad had over 3000 views and 30+ inquiries with either "money in hand" or "I'll take it".

Bye Bye MG Midget and be comfortable in the knowledge that yours is sort after. Thumbn11

Chin up, MG's are alive and well. As received and as sold.

Bye Bye MG Midget and be comfortable in the knowledge that yours is sort after. Mg_mid11
Bye Bye MG Midget and be comfortable in the knowledge that yours is sort after. Midget26
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Bye Bye MG Midget and be comfortable in the knowledge that yours is sort after. Empty Re: Bye Bye MG Midget and be comfortable in the knowledge that yours is sort after.

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:00 am

They come and go…. Hope you got what you wanted for it!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Bye Bye MG Midget and be comfortable in the knowledge that yours is sort after. Empty Re: Bye Bye MG Midget and be comfortable in the knowledge that yours is sort after.

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:38 am

Cribbs74 wrote:They come and go…. Hope you got what you wanted for it!

Got more than what I would have taken. I'm relieved and happy, got my garage workspace back. Probably would not of sold it if I didn't get the new John Deere. Takes up a lot of space with the mower and the bucket.

That MGA that you have tucked away is probably worth five times as much.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:43 am

Wow! Someone got a great deal! You must have enjoyed the work you put into it. I know I had fun watching via your posts. I think you’ll get more done with the Tractor !

lol!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:01 am

rsv1cox wrote:
Cribbs74 wrote:They come and go…. Hope you got what you wanted for it!

Got more than what I would have taken.  I'm relieved and happy, got my garage workspace back.  Probably would not of sold it if I didn't get the new John Deere.  Takes up a lot of space with the mower and the bucket.  

That MGA that you have tucked away is probably worth five times as much.

Maybe Bob. Now that my father has passed I am having thoughts about selling it. Not sure yet. Right now I am working with my son on that ‘72 Mustang we bought. In fact, tomorrow I am going to pick up a ‘73 parts car. Like I said they come and go. I try not to get too attached, I do like my Dodge an awful lot though.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:15 am

You could have put it in the JD Bucket to save some space lol! Yea somebody got a deal!!! As much Fun as you put into it . I liked the post when you had the control lines out to it for a run Eyebrows Sad Goodbye Sad Goodbye Sad Goodbye
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:10 pm

getback wrote:You could have put it in the JD Bucket to save some space lol! Yea somebody got a deal!!! As much Fun as you put into it . I liked the post when you had the control lines out to it for a run Eyebrows Sad Goodbye Sad Goodbye Sad Goodbye

Smile Smile

I'm brain damaged Eric, I had forgotten all about that.  Thanks for reminding me.  I did have fun setting that up.  I will have to see where that picture is.

And Rene, I probably bored many here on the forum with my MG adventures.  The tractor is a back saver.  I dug out the "rubber bumpers" that came on the car and remembered how heavy they were.  I lifted them up onto a roll around cart where the buyer hefted them into the bed of his truck with some difficulty.

I don't know about these big guys and small cars.  All five that looked at the car were six footers, and me at 5' 6".  Funny story, the fellow that bought the car has a winter home in Florida not far from where we lived for 20 years.  And.........he lives not three miles away from me in the summer months. Big guy, early 70's gray hair handle bar moustache.   His friend drove it home with no plates, (told him to tread softly by the sheriff's house), rotten tires, and no top on a misty day.  All others that looked at the car were hours away.  

For me Ron, it's all about the search, once I have caught the rabbit and cooked it, I lose interest.

Money? Not an issue with me. I could have given it away and still be happy. As is, it reduces the pain of the $20 K that I spent on the tractor.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:47 pm

The good thing about a tractor is they hold their value pretty well. Plus it’s more of a tool than a toy. So $20K is a small sum for a little peace of mind and not having to wear yourself out. The MG is a toy. It doesn’t make any practical sense unless it was your only car. You did the right thing.

Wanna buy an MGA? I’d sell it to you in a heartbeat. lol!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:51 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:The good thing about a tractor is they hold their value pretty well. Plus it’s more of a tool than a toy. So $20K is a small sum for a little peace of mind and not having to wear yourself out. The MG is a toy. It doesn’t make any practical sense unless it was your only car. You did the right thing.

Wanna buy an MGA? I’d sell it to you in a heartbeat. lol!

Mark had two in Colorado, had one shipped to me.  Made him sell it, took up too much space in my garage,  He still hasn't forgiven me.  Really!

A thorn between two roses.  Smile

Bye Bye MG Midget and be comfortable in the knowledge that yours is sort after. 3_mgs_12

Jenny's college driver:

Bye Bye MG Midget and be comfortable in the knowledge that yours is sort after. 1985_f12

Jenny and me many years later

Bye Bye MG Midget and be comfortable in the knowledge that yours is sort after. Mg-rob10

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:25 pm

rsv1cox wrote:

Bye Bye MG Midget and be comfortable in the knowledge that yours is sort after. Mg-rob10

Nice to see ya Bob.  You don't show your face here very often.

Well done with the Midget.  It would have sold for six times that out here.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:38 pm

Thanks Rod, I try to keep my mug out of the papers too, compassion for the viewers.

I had a similar comment over on the Midget forum too, one responder thought I sold it to cheap.

My response.

2K? No wonder they were beating down your door. Start high, then work your way down. I get the feeling you just wanted pass it along, but yikes! It's just like throwing money away. If someone wants my car, they better be coming with five figures. I don't care if it's worth it or not.

I agree with you 98%, but there are a certain percentage of us out here where money isn't everything. There are other factors.

But don't rain on my parade, I'm happy as is the buyer. But, that was a two K car, maybe less. There is enough plastic in it to seal the Titanic and while good, I'm certainly no body man and it shows. That said, anytime that you can find a running, driving Midget, even a RB for $2K or less you have found a deal.

BTW, the paint job was rattle can Krylon Gloss white.

I tossed the original rubber bumpers in. smiling smiley

Edit .......... added a picture, pretty darn good for rattle can...........what....

Bye Bye MG Midget and be comfortable in the knowledge that yours is sort after. Midget27
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:04 pm

Here's my latest project.
Bye Bye MG Midget and be comfortable in the knowledge that yours is sort after. Img_2018
Bye Bye MG Midget and be comfortable in the knowledge that yours is sort after. Img_2019
Paint & body is not an issue on this one. Neat as a pin body and interior.  Mechanically sound but getting tired.  I can fix that.
719,000 km on the clock.  Got it for a gift.  I could double my money tomorrow, but I feel strong loyalty to the seller.  He got it new and was very attached, but he knew he was getting too old to cope with potential breakdowns and no longer needed it as he sold his caravan (trailer).  I've been caring for it for the past 25 years, serviced like clockwork.  4.2 litre turbo diesel still runs like a swiss watch.  It will have an easy retirement.  No "bush bashing" for this rig.  I think he chose to let us have it cheap because he didn't want to see it go to some young guy who would heavily modify it and knock it around off-road.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:31 pm

Geez Robert.......................................................... It's almost like a painting.. Shocked .... if it's your's; you're not sure what you'd let it go for... ?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:36 pm

My uncle is currently restoring his 1965 "B". "Iris Blue" paint.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:39 pm

I'm a Britiish-Leyland enthusiast. Please share.;
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:11 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:Here's my latest project.

Bye Bye MG Midget and be comfortable in the knowledge that yours is sort after. Img_2019
Paint & body is not an issue on this one. Neat as a pin body and interior.  Mechanically sound but getting tired.  I can fix that.
719,000 km on the clock. 4.2 litre turbo diesel still runs like a swiss watch.  It will have an easy retirement.  No "bush bashing" for this rig.  I think he chose to let us have it cheap because he didn't want to see it go to some young guy who would heavily modify it and knock it around off-road.

The price was right, what a beauty!! Have you checked it over for leaks and drips?! Looks like it may have mild incontentince !
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:28 pm

Marleysky wrote:
Oldenginerod wrote:Here's my latest project.

719,000 km on the clock. 4.2 litre turbo diesel still runs like a swiss watch.  It will have an easy retirement.  No "bush bashing" for this rig.  I think he chose to let us have it cheap because he didn't want to see it go to some young guy who would heavily modify it and knock it around off-road.

The price was right, what a beauty!! Have you checked it over for leaks and drips?! Looks like it may have mild  incontentince !
All good Rene.  Drips are because I just washed it.  Very minor oil leaks. Easily fixed.  Got to pull the intake manifold, so I'm considering having the injectors overhauled. They haven't been touched in its 719,000 km.  Only major repair it has ever had was an injector pump rebuild, at the previous owner's expense.   Warm  Also still on the original clutch, which makes me a little reluctant to take it too far from home.  Not looking forward to pulling the gearbox as they're big, awkward and heavy.
These are Australia's most popular and respected Landcruisers ever.  Very hard to find a good one under around $28,000 AUD.  Got this one for $12,000 AUD. ($9,000 USD).  Used car prices are through the roof out here because since Covid new cars can be up to a 6 month wait.  We no longer make any ourselves, so need to rely on the shipping channels flowing freely.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:25 am

Nice one Rod, those Toyota Land Cruisers go for big bucks on "Bring a Trailer" my go-to auction web site here in the US.  My rural lady mail carrier drives one.  Usually covered with mud and dust she loves it.  Pushing 400K miles now.  She has been looking for another in case this one ever gives out.

Looks like it may have mild incontentince !  Good one Rene.  Seems like all vintage MG's  "Mark their spots", and my Midget was no exception.  When I moved it over to my work shop area the floor was relatively clean,  not so any more.  Nice to have my garage back, after selling the bush hog and the MG I now have some room.  

Bye Bye MG Midget and be comfortable in the knowledge that yours is sort after. P1011129
Bye Bye MG Midget and be comfortable in the knowledge that yours is sort after. P1011130
Bye Bye MG Midget and be comfortable in the knowledge that yours is sort after. P1011131
Bye Bye MG Midget and be comfortable in the knowledge that yours is sort after. P1011133

We tried to recreate Jenny's original sit on the fender picture (above), but some guy got in the way.  Jenny is an accomplished blacksmith, she made me this coat hook in the form of a J.  I just hung my MG Midget hat on it, rescued from the MG before it drove off.

Bye Bye MG Midget and be comfortable in the knowledge that yours is sort after. P1011140

I give up, can't post this picture correctly

Bye Bye MG Midget and be comfortable in the knowledge that yours is sort after. P1011138
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down