Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

I'm Back...... Cox_ba12

I'm Back...... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Today at 12:18 pm

» audio-tach anyone?
by roddie Today at 11:14 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 10:22 am

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by fit90 Today at 7:34 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by getback Today at 6:19 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Yesterday at 2:54 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 pm

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

I'm Back...... Empty
Live on Patrol

I'm Back......

Go down

I'm Back...... Empty I'm Back......

Post  NEW222 Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:25 pm

Well, I was away last week on holidays at the cabin. Yes, it was nice to be off work for a week, but on the other hand, this guy here does NOT like heat and high humidity..... As luck had it, it was both hot and humid. Average temps this past week were 86 - 104 with both temperatures and the humidity. So not as much time spent outside. Then to top it all off, it is 'witching season' here. The unbelievable amounts of mosquitoes, and the countless numbers of both horse flies and deer flies. Mosquitoes were mainly an evening and night thing, and the others daytime, but when near the grass, horse flies were again present.

So I had big hopes and dreams to play with my Cox engines and fly a couple of control line 1/2a planes while there. That was very short lived as I did soon find out I left my nitro fuel at home. I did not feel like driving the just shy of 2 hours each way for the fuel, so scratched that! Off to maiden a new profile foamy F-22 design. Well, that didn't last long either. I had reservations about it flying well as soon as I finished building it. It is a prop-in-slot design, and where the slot is, it levt very little strength between the front and rear of the fuselage, and scaling it down a couple inches to fit on a piece of foamboard with same size prop slot probably did not help any. So remove the electronics, no big deal. Then I go try out my new mini drone (about 3" diameter). It was a squirrely little thing indoors so outside it went. Sun was just starting to go down, but still bright. Well, first attempt to rise off teh grass was not working. I picked it up, gave it a tiny toss upwards and hit the throttle. Wow, did it rise quick to about 40-50 feet. Then I miraculously had no control of it! This was in the front yard of the cabin. It started going to the back in which there is a field approximately 3 soccer fields big all while under its own control. As this oversized figure realized what was happening I started running to teh back to see wher it is going. As I was running there, I saw what appeared to be it going down, but saw it while running and my view was blocked by the guest house. About 4 hours later of walking in a grid type pattern in 3-4 foot tall grass over 2 days, and about 1 1/2 hours of that were with a metal detector) infested with mosquitoes and horse flies, I had decided to call it quits and write it off as a loss. On the bright side, I did get to see it fly, and fly it did. Worst part is I just got it as a gift from a good friend, and that hurt me the most. I was going to try another plane, but decided to call it quits that day. The next day I did get a flight in with my UMX Champ though and that at least felt good.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

I'm Back...... Empty Re: I'm Back......

Post  Yabby Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:54 pm

Sounds like a script for a Chevy Chase movie.... lol! lol! just needed a snake, bear, moose and a dog on the end of a rope. lol!

Relaxing in the wild is great! I also have a shack about 2.5 hours from home where I can fly planes whenever and wherever I want, go out fishing in the boat, drink beer, talk bloke [bleep] to other blokes whilst drinking beer, and the good thing is there is nothing dangerous here like people think. Unless you go in the water......................... Mind you in summer it is usually above 40 - 104 in your speak, and commonly above 45 - 113 for weeks in a row, and we have the mozzies 24 x 7. You cant go outside without first bathing in DEET. Lol. One good thing though is that in summer nothing grows and its just dirt as far as the eye can see, so you would never lose your planes and its easy to see the snakes :-)

Sounds like you had a great trip! One day I hope to have the time to slowly tour around the USA with no plan, just going and staying where seems good, and moving on when it suits to the next place. Mainly outside of the Big Citys. They are not the places for me. But your equivalent of our outback would be awesome and so varied on such a big land mass. One day.

Oh and happy Independence Day. Fireworks

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:07 pm

Wonderful adventure Chancey, except for the horse fly's, mosquitos, deer fly's, heat and humidity. Sounds like you vacationed in Florida.

Your little drone needs a locator beacon, Mark has one with a come home feature. Press a button and it comes back to you. 3" in tall grass would be hard to find.

News reports have been all over the record breaking heat up there. Mark in Portland has had the same thing. Beautiful here, 70's with low humidity but it's not going to last. Back to the high 80's next week.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:29 pm

Yeah, the west coast is getting hit badly with wildfires now that the heat is winding down. many cities and communities being evacuated, and 90% of Lytton BC has burnt down to teh ground apparently. It is a ugly situation there.

I wish there was a return to home option on it as I would still have it. Oh well, live and learn. Now to go off shopping for a new cheap replacement.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:08 pm

AM-Pm 30f temperature swing swing here. Something here ain't right.
Call it what you want.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:12 pm

Sounds like you had a blast Chancey. Hopefully you still got the chance to find time to relax.

Is there any kind of alarm feature or tracking feature on your drone that can help you locate it?

Last edited by Admin on Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missing "a")

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:51 pm

It was definately nice to get away for a few days for sure. I did definately do what holidays were meant for, and relax, thanks. Unfortunately, it was a little Walmart drone, so no tracking features or anything on it.

I thought I would honestly find it though. When it first went down, I did try the throttle but being 3" overall in the tall grass and weeds, I do not think the props would spin as it doesn't take much to stop them. Also, dropping from at least 50 feet up, it definately would have penetrated through it on its way down. Also, when I did not hear it, I did turn the remote off. When I turned it back on while I was looking, the light on the remote stayed blinking. When I hit one spot, it almost instantly bound up to the drone as it went solid quickly. I walked a fair distance away and turned it on again and it stayed blinking till I got really close to the spot mentioned above. I did search this particular area very thurogh by looking, swatting grass around with a rake, as well as the metal detector. But still no go unfortunately.

This is the drone in question, but just a different model.
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/x20-micro-drone-black/6000199941528
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:18 am

Well it isn't much bigger than a horse fly ! One reason i could not have one that small Sad the got away Mad Good to have you back and to hear of your adventures in the wild (grass ) Man don't you have a check list for having fun ! Sorry about the fuel and no CL fling , heap that heat that's goin around is terrible , its like 60F here and 80s daytime , but should warm up soon Shocked
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:53 am

A definate checklist is in order for the upcoming weekend. I have the fuel ready to depart the house already. If it wasn't so hot out there, I would even put it in my truck for added extra security!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down