Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Drawings for Nelson and Turbo Head buttons? Cox_ba12

Drawings for Nelson and Turbo Head buttons? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Today at 8:05 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by MauricioB Today at 7:39 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:52 am

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Yesterday at 7:42 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:09 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 5:13 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 2:51 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 2:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Yesterday at 2:03 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Yesterday at 2:01 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Drawings for Nelson and Turbo Head buttons? Empty
Live on Patrol

Drawings for Nelson and Turbo Head buttons?

Go down

Drawings for Nelson and Turbo Head buttons? Empty Drawings for Nelson and Turbo Head buttons?

Post  uliner Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:40 pm

I find myself with a manual lathe (small sherline), some 6061 some time on my hands.

I have made some glow head conversions with normal plugs, but that is easy for cox heads.

Looking for dimensions for turbo plugs and Nelson, thread, seat angle, and all that.

Not looking to make them for money, just for my own use.

I'll draw it up in solid works and share it back if I can.

Dave Siegler
uliner
uliner

Back to top Go down

Drawings for Nelson and Turbo Head buttons? Empty Re: Drawings for Nelson and Turbo Head buttons?

Post  Scotland421 Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:48 am

Trumpet shaped or ae bubble wi ae 10mm squish band at ae 5 degree angle tae the glow plug. Nelson plug or similar.
Scotland421
Scotland421
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Drawings for Nelson and Turbo Head buttons? Empty Re: Drawings for Nelson and Turbo Head buttons?

Post  aspeed Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:38 pm

Turbo plugs are a 60 degree angle and the hole is 3/16". The tap drill size is 7.25 mm, and the tap is 8mm x 0.75 pitch. I found a good combustion chamber shape for .049s to be a 90 degree countersink. Maybe an 82 or 100 degree countersink may be better. I looked at a Merlin plug and that is what they looked like. I am sure Al Kelley played with a lot of designs before production. When I compared them to some old TD heads they were overall quite similar with the shape. Of course that is just a starting point and experimentation is due. The Nelson plug is a 118? degree or so angle. It is just whatever the standard drill angle is. The tap drill size is 1/32" less than the OD of 13/32" ? I believe. The depth of the plug to the bottom of the squish band is around .062" for an .049 and maybe .100" to .120" on a .15 IIRC. The hole size on a Nelson plug is about 1mm larger than the turbo plugs. That is why I prefer the turbo plugs for the smaller motors. I made a bunch of slugs that fit the plugs and left the combustion chamber and liner face blank for each motor. I made a .500" diameter step .100" deep to hold in a collet. 7/16" dia. would work maybe on a smaller motor. Have fun making them. I did. I have an old Hardinge chucker turret lathe, very high tech for 1952. Some heads were 7,000 rpm better than one I had been using. Most were 1,000 or 2,000 RPM better than a standard plug head. You may have trouble cutting a thread to fit a Cox. A Merlin or Norvel collar may be used, or use a burned out Cox or whatever head.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down