Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Me or the tree Cox_ba12

Me or the tree Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by getback Today at 12:19 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 10:29 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by rdw777 Today at 9:55 am

» B-25 Mitchell
by rdw777 Today at 9:49 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by rsv1cox Today at 9:39 am

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Today at 6:32 am

» M1Fan...who are you?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:07 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 9:52 pm

» Roddie's water-cooled bench-run vid
by roddie Yesterday at 8:55 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:19 pm

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:54 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Me or the tree Empty
Live on Patrol

Me or the tree

Go down

Me or the tree Empty Me or the tree

Post  rsv1cox Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:24 am

Or maybe me and the tree, or me the tree, the tractor and chain saw.

As much as I enjoy this hobby stuff, I love being outside more, especially in the woods where I was brought up.

Last Spring this 40 footer toppled over into the pond and it's bugged me ever since. Not the first one, Mark pulled a couple out with his truck. But now I have the tractor. Wasn't sure if it would do the job on this water soaked slightly ice encrusted pine, but 4 WD, low range and the tractor just walked it out and pulled it 500 yards to the burn pile. Easy part, now I have to cut it up.

Me or the tree P1012242
Me or the tree P1012243
Me or the tree P1012241
Me or the tree P1012245
Me or the tree P1012244
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Me or the tree Empty Re: Me or the tree

Post  germanbuddy Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:47 am

I see enough wood for a huge new years eve party  Beers  bonfire.
No need for a sweater ,
only T-shirt and pants  close to the the bonfire will be good Hot
Any "moonshiners" deep in the woods near you ?  Shh  Beer Cheers .
germanbuddy
germanbuddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:01 pm

germanbuddy wrote:I see enough wood for a huge new years eve party  Beers  bonfire.
No need for a sweater ,
only T-shirt and pants  close to the the bonfire will be good Hot
Any "moonshiners" deep in the woods near you ?  Shh  Beer Cheers .

Smile Probably more than a few.

Winter snowfall and most of it will go up in smoke. Not real happy about that. Carbon etc.

First taste of the stuff happened in Jacksonville Florida. Neighbor was a fan. Smile

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:17 pm

Bob, you are amazing...just had my waist and spine MR scanned today because of constant pain, and reading you planning for chopping tree trunk is just shooting up a projectile of sizzling pain in my backbone!  lol!

Take care!
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  germanbuddy Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:28 pm

Bob , you may right about carbon ,
but burning fuel, oil , kerosin and plastics does harm our planet likewise.
No way out , we are trapped by gasstations for good.
The manufacture of batteries for electric cars is not endless ,
the materials used are just as limited as petrol.

Last edited by germanbuddy on Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:22 am; edited 2 times in total
germanbuddy
germanbuddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:41 pm

It may sound weird, but burning wood for generating electricity in e.g. biomass firing power plants is considered sustainable and green
as well as renewable power generation, because the CO2 thus emitted is originating from plants that generated stochyometricaly comparable amount of Oxygen through photosynthesis during their life cycle, and the CO2 will be recycled by live plants into Oxygen again, as they grow (and thus regenerate fresh bio fuel)..of course fossil fuels contribute to global warming no matter if the fuel is renewable or not...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:48 pm

As I have said here in the past - I'm a tree hugger first class - and it's killing me that this little Pine Bark Borer Beetle is taking all of my pine trees.  But it's worse with whats happening by humans in the Amazon rain forests in South America.

There are only three major rain forests, two in South America both being decimated and one in the Congo.  The Congo rain forest is largely left untouched because of the presense of African terrorist gangs that inhabit it.  Loggers are afraid to go in there.  Hug a terrorist.  Smile

My sympathies Andras.  Back pain, been there.  To many engine blocks, transmissions, and logs. Cured the first, no more car rebuilds and the second with the tractor. I just scoop up the logs with the bucket and deposit them on the burn pile.  More fun than work.   Have you tried "Relief Factor"? Heavily advertized here non-narcotic but I know nothing else about it

BTW, the first picture above shows where that tree was after I pulled it out.  Leaner is a beetle victum that I haven't gotten to yet.  I wanted to get that tree out before ice totally encased it.  I will wait a bit for it to dry out before cutting it up.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:57 pm

Bob I too am very earth conscious but I hasten to note history

In our short 400+ year history of invading north America, the construction in the area you know as the Northeast literally chopped down every standing tree all the way into what is now Maine for factory and ship construction. Same as Chicago emerged and great lakes shipping of ore..almost the entire state of Michigan was cut to the ground...Same in Pacific North west... Logging from Oregon to Canada near any river wiped out hundreds of square miles of forest.....In those days there was zero human replanting except that apple guy.....in every case Ole Ma Earth said screw you Hold my beer and sent the eco system into over drive recovering the devastation

In our lives we are astounded at the massive man and nature made super giant forest fires...we of course lament the loss of wild life, human life, and property as tragic...but Ole Ma Nature smiles and sez...wait for my NEXT act..."puny humans"

NOW the massive reclamation of all ships on third world shores and the Billions of tons daily of plastics into our oceans simply MUST stop
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:08 pm

Johnny Appleseed a hero of days gone by.

I have read that today the USA has more trees planted than ever in the past century.  A renewable resourse.  But I see these giant machines cutting down trees in Alaska stripping them of their branches and dropping them by helicopter next to railways which carry them off to lumbermills.  

But yes, plastics a big problem.  Islands of them in the Pacific as large as Rhode Island.  My carbon footprint is very, very small.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:33 pm

As young soldier and married into a Port Townsend family, I occasionally worked as skidder choke setter and operator for Simpson Timber. (made good cash for a weekend)..In 1976 they won a Washington State contract to send 100+ old growth Redwood to Japan for a giant Emperor's Shinto Shrine....Each tree was selected by a Japanese expert and marked, many were on steep mountain sides and each over 300' tall AFTER topping out. The company hired a CH-53 heavy lifter to attach and hold each pole until bottom (12~19" diameter at 30 feet up) was fully cut. then lifted to the port of Tacoma and laid full length on barges to Japan. I got to see the full three weeks of this operation while on leave. Totally a US State Department interference with a Sovereign state that prohibited ANY cutting of old growth Giant Redwoods. Of course back then I knew very little of international politics (still fairly ignorant today)

Funny side story..in Washington it is illegal to go in the park and forest land, find a cut stump cedar or redwood and Shake it out. The bases are massive and old logging was by two man cross cut saw many feet up to a diameter they could cut. Each stump has thousands of roofing shingles if you cut out slabs and "Shake" them with a very wide Sharp chisel. I pickup bed of shaked shingles at the right wood mill was worth 200~300 bucks, not bad for a day in the deep woods. When hunting deer or Elk in the western Olympic Mt Range I came across "Shakers" almost every day as there are thousands of stumps to be slabbed
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:03 pm

Everybody has a carbon footprint. Some less some more. Unless you live naked in the woods and eat uncooked food and sleep under leaves and animal skins.

Electric vehicles may make the air cleaner, but they still pollute, rubber, brakes and ozone etc. not to mention the fossil fuels used in manufacturing and the mining for Lithium. You really can’t win if you want to be carbon free. I suppose you can make it a little better at best. The list is endless when you start breaking it down. The plastic in the oceans is because we have entire countries that think the ocean is a landfill. The ignorance and stupidity is staggering.

Burn the tree Bob. Plant a few more pine saplings in it’s place if you wish.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:12 am

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:05 am

I was a member for years, got the newsletter, planted the trees, provided support. Let it slip two years ago along with several other worthwhile subscriptions, National Geographic etc.. Kept Smithsonian support and Air Classics magazine. Just got tired of writing checks.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:10 pm

Hey Robert, You continue to impress me with all of the activities that you post about here. Regarding "being greener"... I'm trying. I've been more cognizant of it, as of late. I recycle whenever possible.. but who knows what happens when it leaves my care? Plastics.. Shocked I've got one word to say to you.. "Plastics".. (you know the movie..)

yea.. plastics..  Huh... I wonder if there's been any research/tests done on reclaimed plastics that have been broken-down physically ie: shredded or ground-up? Melting is a not an option because of toxic fumes released. Ground-plastic products would obviously need classification by type or grade... but..

.. could ground or compressed-plastic be used for pavement/roadways/sidewalks? Maybe added to the asphalt formula for making roofing-shingles? It's not exactly putting it back where it came from.. but it's better than dumping it in the ocean.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:33 am

You know that leaner tree in the first picture above.........well this one?

Me or the tree New_lw10

I had worked under it for an hour or so strapping up the down in the pond tree. Well, the next morning I looked out my kitchen window and it had fallen most of the rest of the way down.

Me or the tree P1012321
Me or the tree P1012322

Missed me by a few hours. Smile

Went out yesterday to cut it up and drag the logs up to the burn pile but couldn't get the 18" Husquvana started, even tried heating it on a cold day with the heat gun. Wonder where I got that from. Tried the 16" Stihl, gave up. Started but not enough saw to do the job. Mark suggested starter fluid. Went out this morning, gave the Husquvana a squirt and it started right off.

Four cuts, hot knife through butter and done............for now. Might let Mark cut the rest of it up.

Me or the tree P1012324
Me or the tree P1012323

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:24 pm

Looks like 4 to 5 days worth of BTU's heating the house in my Woodstock Wood Stove! ! Cut and Split of course.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:19 am

Well a least it was hours it missed you by Very Happy Thats funny you heating the saw up with the hair dryer , I got one beeing a pain to get going Sthil 26 . Just bought a new sharpener from the HF My other blew the switch out and I never did like the POS . The new POS i got has the bicycle hand clamp so far so good ,,, darn i had to google spell bicycle If you don't use it your sure to lose it This Site Rocks! lol!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down