Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Anyone tried the new extra-cooling Cox glowplug adapters & inserts? Cox_ba12

Anyone tried the new extra-cooling Cox glowplug adapters & inserts? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 6:07 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Today at 8:05 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by MauricioB Today at 7:39 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:52 am

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Yesterday at 7:42 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 5:13 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 2:51 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 2:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Yesterday at 2:03 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Yesterday at 2:01 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Anyone tried the new extra-cooling Cox glowplug adapters & inserts? Empty
Live on Patrol

Anyone tried the new extra-cooling Cox glowplug adapters & inserts?

Go down

Anyone tried the new extra-cooling Cox glowplug adapters & inserts? Empty Anyone tried the new extra-cooling Cox glowplug adapters & inserts?

Post  RknRusty Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:58 pm

Since I've been having a lot of mysterious glowplug failures lately, I figured I needed an alternative and bought a couple of these heads, one silver and one red. They're mainly for my reedies, but considering the high compression, maybe for the Tee Dees too.

Anyone tried the new extra-cooling Cox glowplug adapters & inserts? Cox%20049%20glow%20head%20adapter%20extra%20cooling%202

I could have bought the short version with less fins, but my knee-jerk logic said, "Extra cooling? Hell yeah." Now I'm just wondering if any of you have used these and found any issues with the engine not running hot enough. I haven't had a chance to try them yet, so it's just a curiosity. I was hoping I could get some reviews from you guys/gals that use these. The platinum coils look thicker than the little standard Cox heads, I hope that's good. Actually the coil in that picture looks kind of boogered up. My new ones don't.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Anyone tried the new extra-cooling Cox glowplug adapters & inserts? Empty Re: Anyone tried the new extra-cooling Cox glowplug adapters & inserts?

Post  nitroairplane Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:33 am

Mine is good,
Remember toucan get different heat inserts.
These things have way more compression even than a tee dee head.
I needed 3-6 gaskets depending on the engine.
Indra
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Anyone tried the new extra-cooling Cox glowplug adapters & inserts? Empty Re: Anyone tried the new extra-cooling Cox glowplug adapters & inserts?

Post  GermanBeez Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:04 am

yup, i gave indra the spare one i had.
because it comes stock with a "hot" insert, you can run it at ridiculously low rpms
without cutting out. they are really reliable to say the least. the only problem is that
they do not fit the yellow plastic clamps very well. but if you want to make a Fauxaco,
then this is the cheap way to go!
GermanBeez
GermanBeez
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:46 am

RknRusty wrote:Since I've been having a lot of mysterious glowplug failures lately, I figured I needed an alternative and bought a couple of these heads, one silver and one red. They're mainly for my reedies, but considering the high compression, maybe for the Tee Dees too.

Anyone tried the new extra-cooling Cox glowplug adapters & inserts? Cox%20049%20glow%20head%20adapter%20extra%20cooling%202

I could have bought the short version with less fins, but my knee-jerk logic said, "Extra cooling? Hell yeah." Now I'm just wondering if any of you have used these and found any issues with the engine not running hot enough. I haven't had a chance to try them yet, so it's just a curiosity. I was hoping I could get some reviews from you guys/gals that use these. The platinum coils look thicker than the little standard Cox heads, I hope that's good. Actually the coil in that picture looks kind of boogered up. My new ones don't.

We sell this item in 2 versions.

The "Texaco" version is supplied with a "hot" insert (.006") and is meant for low RPM use, as in Texaco events or for throttled engines.

The "Extra Cooling" version is supplied with a "medium hot" (.007") insert and is meant for high RPM use, such as in sport flying.

I am still at home but will check the filament shape on our stock when I get to the office this morning. Probably one that was not perfect and we did not catch that when the photographer came over to the office.

Both versions work really well on Tee Dee as well as Medallion engines as they provide at least as much if not more compression as OEM heads; hence our warning that one may have to use more than one glow head gasket. Too much compression is not a bad problem to have.

They also work on Norvel engines.

On cold days, regular flying, the "Extra Cooling" version may indeed provide too much cooling, depending on nitro content, prop size, aircraft configuration, terrain elevation and ambient weather. We mainly recommend this conversion for one or more of the following situations:

Hot weather flying
High nitro fuels
Running oversized props
Diminished engine cooling due to cowel obstruction
Airplanes with pusher setups (such as powered gliders)
Cars (such as prop rods, etc)
Boats

In short, any application that is outside of the "norm".
Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.coxengines.com

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:00 am

Cox International wrote:
snip.............

Since this plug is similar to the NORVEL Freedom plug, is the NORVEL over compressed when this is substituted.

andrew
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:06 am

Just for thread info, I tried one of these inserts in a new process Big Mig 074 and it would not fit. To small on the flange side. I have a much older NV/AME 061 on the way and will give that a try. From the reading I have done, it should fit.

I bought the short head version with both cold and hot inserts and have had good luck with them. Took a peek at them under the scope and they are put together very well. I did find that the center electrode stem was a bit short and it was a challenge to get the glow clip on the stem without grounding out. A little dremel work and tweaking with needle nose pliers and I was able to attain a better clamp and fit
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:09 am

PV Pilot wrote:Just for thread info, I tried one of these inserts in a new process Big Mig 074 and it would not fit. To small on the flange side. I have a much older NV/AME 061 on the way and will give that a try. From the reading I have done, it should fit.

That would be expected since the cylinder diameter on the .074 is larger. The plug body on the .074, .061 and .049 is the same diameter, but the .074 plug has a larger flange, consequently the .049/.061 plugs will not interchange with the .074 plug.

The standard .049/.051 COX glowhead will fit the .049/.061 NORVELs and vice-versa although both look pretty wierd when swapped. The Galbreath head/NELSON plug combo, originally designed for COX engines used in freeflight competition, will fit both and generally will add RPM to both engines.

I have some of the COX plugs and clamp, but have not tried the interchange between clamps and plugs. If I remember tonight, I'll see what combinations work where.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:13 am

I'll be using these for wide open C/L flying and most of my season is between 90 and 100 degree temps, so I'm sure I'll be okay. Hoping for warm weather soon please! The first engine I'm going to try it on is a Black Widow and I figure I'll start with 4 gaskets and 25% nitro fuel. After reading these replies, maybe I'll start with 5 gaskets.

It looks like this head will work too:
http://coxengines.ca/product.php?productid=307&cat=13&page=1
although I don't need the hot plug that comes with it. I should get a couple of these for cold weather.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:35 am

Cox International wrote:The "Texaco" version is supplied with a "hot" insert (.006") and is meant for low RPM use, as in Texaco events or for throttled engines.

The "Extra Cooling" version is supplied with a "medium hot" (.007") insert and is meant for high RPM use, such as in sport flying.

I've got the 5-fin on the Killer Widow and I have both inserts, how do you tell them apart?
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/wingingit74/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:25 pm

andrew wrote:
Cox International wrote:
snip.............

Since this plug is similar to the NORVEL Freedom plug, is the NORVEL over compressed when this is substituted.

andrew

Never held a Norvel engine in my hand, much less run one... so, no idea, sorry Smile
Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:28 pm

Cox International wrote:
andrew wrote:
Cox International wrote:
snip.............

andrew

Never held a Norvel engine in my hand, much less run one... so, no idea, sorry Smile

Yes and Norvel big mug .061 does best with this head and 3 gaskets.
But for larger props up to 6 gaskets.
Indra
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:29 pm

PV Pilot wrote: I did find that the center electrode stem was a bit short and it was a challenge to get the glow clip on the stem without grounding out. A little dremel work and tweaking with needle nose pliers and I was able to attain a better clamp and fit

Correct. We initiallly gave this some thought but would have had to have an insert specially made and that was a bit pricey and we decided against it. There is still enough space when using the OEM Cox clip but one definitely has to be more careful.
Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:31 pm

RknRusty wrote:
It looks like this head will work too:
http://coxengines.ca/product.php?productid=307&cat=13&page=1
although I don't need the hot plug that comes with it. I should get a couple of these for cold weather.

Unless you are using that product for throttled engines, you are better off using this one:

http://coxengines.ca/product.php?productid=362&cat=27&page=1

Same product with "med heat" insert.
Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:31 pm

Cox International wrote:
PV Pilot wrote: I did find that the center electrode stem was a bit short and it was a challenge to get the glow clip on the stem without grounding out. A little dremel work and tweaking with needle nose pliers and I was able to attain a better clamp and fit

Correct. We initiallly gave this some thought but would have had to have an insert specially made and that was a bit pricey and we decided against it. There is still enough space when using the OEM Cox clip but one definitely has to be more careful.
I use a "normal" stick glow start.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:32 pm

WingingIt74 wrote:
Cox International wrote:The "Texaco" version is supplied with a "hot" insert (.006") and is meant for low RPM use, as in Texaco events or for throttled engines.

I've got the 5-fin on the Killer Widow and I have both inserts, how do you tell them apart?

"Hot" has the red coloured filling at the top.
Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:33 pm

WingingIt74 wrote:

The inserts?

The stem insulator on the hot is red in color and the medium is blue.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Godsey3.0 Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:34 pm

I have been considering trying one of these. Will the regular clip and the tweezer style glow igniter fit these?
Godsey3.0
Godsey3.0
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:46 pm

Godsey3.0 wrote:I have been considering trying one of these. Will the regular clip and the tweezer style glow igniter fit these?

Yes on both counts
Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down