Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Help with Cox identification and piston issue Cox_ba12

Help with Cox identification and piston issue Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Today at 3:17 pm

» audio-tach anyone?
by roddie Today at 2:58 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 2:43 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by 1/2A Nut Today at 1:58 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Today at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 10:26 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Help with Cox identification and piston issue Empty
Live on Patrol

Help with Cox identification and piston issue

Go down

Help with Cox identification and piston issue Empty Help with Cox identification and piston issue

Post  Pepo Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:48 am

Dear Cox enthusiasts,

I was recently given this engine, which was stuck solid and I have degummed using methanol. It has good compression and it is now fully free. I could identify smoke out of the chamber after applying 1.5v to the Glow plug so I presume that it works and I have managed to remove the back plate and carburettor. However, the cilinder head and glow plug plate are reluctant to unscrew and I do not have any Cox tool available. I do not want to force them using unspecified tools. I will be happy to purchase two Cox tools if available from Europe. Postage from the other side of Atlantic looks crazy to me. This will eventually be another post. Cheers.

First, I would like to know the engine version and production year if possible. The engine is not for sale in any case. It might be a  .09 but have no clue TBO. See pictures:Help with Cox identification and piston issue Img_2011
Help with Cox identification and piston issue Img_2010

Additionally, I have realised about one disturbing fact. When I move the cilinder to the TDC, the piston overpasses the ports leaving a gap and potentially allowing air leaking. This is not so evident when the engine is lubricated as the oil closes the gap.
Help with Cox identification and piston issue Img_2012

I honestly do not think that the piston was replaced but maybe the cilinder was over screwed and therefore, the piston now travels higher up than supposed. Can anyone tell by looking at the position of the ports? Thanks.

The crankshaft and rod do not seem to have been replaced but I can not tell either.

Help with Cox identification and piston issue Img_2015
Help with Cox identification and piston issue Img_2014

Position of the cilinder at BDC
Help with Cox identification and piston issue Img_2016

I would appreciate any help regarding the model and the gap issue before starting the engine. Finally, the person who gave me the engine told me that brew his own fuel using 20% castor oil and 0% nitro. Any advice about the oil content for these Cox engines (have my own fuel components; methanol, synthetic, castor, nitro, etc at home).

Best regards and thanks for your help.

Pepo

P.s. the engine will eventually be mounted on an RC airplane to be built. I have no decided model or scale and are open to suggestions.
Pepo
Pepo

Back to top Go down

Help with Cox identification and piston issue Empty Re: Help with Cox identification and piston issue

Post  Marleysky Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:53 am

I saw your intro post, so I'll sayWELCOME to the CEF! on this thread.
"Mind the Gap"may be appropriate upon entering the Tube, but it can be ignored when starting a Cox engine. In this case the gap is called "SPI" or Sub Piston Induction.
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t1439-sub-piston-induction-what-does-it-do

The gap between the crankcase and piston from the bottom is similar in function allowing fuel/air mixture to be induced into the combustion chamber for the next compression cycle.

It is almost impossible to remove the glowhead and/or cylinder from any Cox engine without causing damage using regular hand tools. A good set of proper Cox wrenches are always recommended. In a pinch a leather strap(old belt) wrapped around the cylinder can be used to prevent plier marks on the cylinder fins, Here is the factory recommendation on how to remove the glowhead:
Help with Cox identification and piston issue Scree190
In your case, you could "Heat" the cylinder with a hair dryer or the tip of a soldering gun to soften up the old castor oil and use an Ice Cube to quickly cool the aluminum glow head for a somewhat easier removal.  Help with Cox identification and piston issue Scree191
Help with Cox identification and piston issue Scree192
Help with Cox identification and piston issue Scree193

IS it a 049, 09 or 15 ? ? Use these drawing to determine what size your engine is:
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Help with Cox identification and piston issue Empty Re: Help with Cox identification and piston issue

Post  balogh Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:02 pm

Your engine seems to be an 09 TeeDee. If that is the size indeed, pm me your postal address, I live in Budapest, and have an extra 09 wrench that I would send you for  use on the glow head only. The fork end to remove the cylinder by slipping it over the parallel exhaust openings may cause harm, so I would advise NOT to use that.

Help with Cox identification and piston issue 16589410

For the removal of the cylinder you may want to file 2 parallel flats on the top fin, and use a regular, 19mm or so flat wrench:

Help with Cox identification and piston issue 16589412
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepo Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:53 am

Dear Marleysky and Balogh,

Thanks very much for your replays and the valuable information provided. I just need to pump some fuel in the engine and give it a try.
Regards
Pepo
Pepo

Back to top Go down

Post  C 15 Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:53 pm

I have soaked the entire engine in a bath of antifreeze then heated it to boil. When it cools enough that I can hold it with a gloved hand I tap the cylinder with a flat strap several times then hold it with a small pair of channel locks and the cylinder comes of without much effort
C 15
C 15

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:01 pm

Way to go! Before you reassemble the engine, put some silicon containing oil like WD40 on the cylinder thread that will help prevent caking of castor in the thread, and allow easier disassembly next time.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down