Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Interestin eBay item Cox_ba12

Interestin eBay item Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:45 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by GallopingGhostler Today at 2:34 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 12:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 12:24 pm

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by duaneh Today at 11:48 am

» Internet buy
by Ken Cook Today at 9:15 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by GallopingGhostler Today at 8:26 am

» Sherline lathe wont run
by getback Today at 7:15 am

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 7:38 pm

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2022
by roddie Yesterday at 5:59 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 11:12 am

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Mon May 13, 2024 8:57 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Interestin eBay item Empty
Live on Patrol

Interestin eBay item

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Interestin eBay item Empty let us know how it performs

Post  cmulder Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:14 am

I own 3d printers so am looking at this too.
A few things to keep in mind when using this bracket.
3d prints have a "grain" that is parallel to the build surface and that is the most common failure point.
If this is made out of a plastic called "pla" then its best to keep it out of direct sunlight in summer.
This because it will get soft when it becomes warmer then about 75/80c.
So just have a cloth on the model when its out in the sun not flying.
It will not be as strong as a injection molded nylon part.
But its a lot cheaper, especially when you find a local based 3d printer avoiding shipping cost.
Once you have the design (.stl file) its trivial to make many in one batch.
It only takes a few minutes to setup the printer (clean the plate, load the material and press print)

cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Interestin eBay item Empty Re: Interestin eBay item

Post  getback Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:09 am

I had mention in another post that i had contacted the maker of these and was trying to get him to make them for TD or Medallion .049 as to get more Ump to the plane , it lacks a bit even though a trainer .> But has not as of yet . Snowman
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:27 am

I used a TD and a Norvel in my corro plane before the Manwin came out. I just used a piece of 1/8" aluminum plate with a bunch of holes milled in it. I suppose a piece of plywood or lexan or some nylon or plastic could be used. I used some Lexan for a .15 size corro combat that was maybe 3/16". It worked but vibrated a fair bit before launching. A 3D printed one is not really needed.Interestin eBay item Coro_017
Interestin eBay item Coro_c12
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:38 pm

Very interesting design, and would also love one. Or should I say get my paws on the file to print one.... Maybe one day when it gets slow I will sit down and start drawing..... However, there is one change I would do. I would make it in 2 or 3 pieces. Definately split it to a top and bottom piece and possibly a 'firewall' (flat piece) just to join and square them up. Just because I use foam, coro, and a couple pieces of my coro are different thicknesses. Would be nice to have one to use for everything. Plus as on the original Man-Win, locally designed, it was simply 2 pieces of metal bent and screwed together.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:48 pm

batjac wrote:Just saw this on my semi-annual eBay browse.  Not that I need one, but it seemed interesting so I ordered one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224664826383

Code:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224664826383?hash=item344f11320f:g:KucAAOSwxuFhecHY&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA0BZMlnPYa%2B6SeDd%2BCh56n9HNk%2BQZA2kdoIzKUjbGqR4jwzS388negzTI4agM8Yxl0CfFJI8QW8ooU7PJFPqEu%2BRWoPEqGRE6FYBXtKTqL453zcP8eew8ozpX9KpmNteuaa1Vw7f9o7OD8kKmfzphMTss8LSun9hc7e3zkLtzyiyzik8W7RA1k98CtRsjBm3CpTNDo9kHs1uzWZ4OfOg%2FaHdkH%2FcUXppQu%2FCjyTc%2Bc9sliT0qf%2BGPO%2FDsFtD0MpkqvgmZfpEAKcXNGnVtebUVNsU%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR9ym9860YQ
The Extravagant Mark
Mark, I removed the extra trailing data after the E-Bay Item Number. All that after the question mark is encoded data that could include some of your personal data. The part I show in your post is all that is needed to point to an E-Bay item.

Interestin eBay item 2023-029
E-Bay: Coroplast Control Line Engine Mount Cox .049: Man-Win Trainer, etc.

Yes, I saw that before, bookmarked it sometime back. Only reason why I did not get it, even after offered a slight cost reduction for bookmarking it, is that I can kludge one from Jim's idea of reusing old aluminum license plate sheet material to make / fake one.

The Conniving Ghostler This Site Rocks!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:40 am

I like the mounts you made aspeed , what WS is the .15 powered one Please This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:57 pm

The wingspan on that is about 42" as I traced an F2D plane. After flying it for a while I made it smaller to about 29" which is what a Jr. Satan is. Bring tin snips to the field. LOL. It kind of flopped around on the loops with the bigger span. It is not really a great combat plane because it is a bit mushy on the bottom of the loops, but the price can't be beat for piddling around. It does go fairly fast. I broke the carbon fibre tube on the leading edge on a crash but that was an easy splice. The 1/2A one I used some piano wire for a spar that was a tight fit in the corro flutes. I think the .15 size flew a bit better maybe.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:58 pm

Hi aspeed,

The r/c combat Open planes used 1/4in, 3/8th thick plastic PETE cutting boards for engine mounts.
Still, can get at DollarStores/WallMarts.
I am curious,
You have way less out thrust on that, ManWin type design.
I thought the way back leadout position would work on it's own.
Just asking,

No problem with running single port Cox engines,
Just want to wear them all out,
Respect,
Dave

HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:33 pm

I used the cutting board plastic until it broke when it crashed and then I made the Lexan one because I have a fair bit of it. No out thrust. Just the way I did it. It is likely better with more offset. Maybe the cutting board vibrated less, I did not notice it with the cutting board but did with the lexan. Just did not pay attention with the original. These are just experiments that develop over time. New ideas are always welcome and should be shared.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:48 pm

*SIGH*

I checked eBay and it said my mount had been left in the mailbox. I went out to the mailbox and looked, but it wasn't there. I checked eBay. DARN IT! I use eBay so little that the address on file is still my address from Oregon from 13 months ago.

*SIGH*

I messaged the seller in the event that the people living in my old house sends the mount back.

The Stoopid Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:01 pm

We all make mistakes, Mark. I've made mine, too. At least it wasn't something like investing in the wrong stock in your retirement portfolio and found you lost a substantial amount in the thousands.

I'd just regroup, correct the mailing address and buy another, or come up with an original substitute. There's always a solution to get back on track. Wink
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:21 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:We all make mistakes, Mark. I've made mine, too. At least it wasn't something like investing in the wrong stock in your retirement portfolio and found you lost a substantial amount in the thousands.

Well..... I think somewhere we still have a bunch of shares of Lehman Brothers.

The Street Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:10 am

Thank aspeed , that helps out as wither I would want to build one or Not ! Snowman
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:01 pm

Well, I have to say that the seller is a great guy.  I sent him an eBay message that I had the wrong address in eBay and asked that he forward it to me if the current home owner returned it.  He was awesome and said he’d send me a replacement mount anyway.  Well, the replacement mount came two days ago, so I put the plane I was building on hold, and put a Man-Win at the head of the list.

Normally, when I wanted to build a coroplast plane, I would just drive around the major streets near my old house and find old political signs that hadn’t been taken down, or old signs lying on the ground or in ditches.  But, driving around near my new home, I didn’t find any signs that I could use.  The ones up on the corners or street sides were all for businesses or individuals that were still in use.  The good thing about moving here is that the streets are clean.  The bad thing about moving here is…. The streets are clean.

So I went to Lowe’s, as I $20 gift card to spend.  I was hoping they’d have some unprinted, colored coroplast that I could use.  Unfortunately, all they had was printed signs or plain white.  So plain white it was.  Also, they only had 20” wide sheets rather than the 24” I’d need for the Man-Win.  So I had to make a 4” wing extension using 3/32 dowels to support it.

No building photos, as there are a lot of Man-Win threads, and this is nothing new other than the printed motor mount.  For the engine, I grabbed some loose parts and put one together.  I could have pulled out a Bee engine from the ready-to-go box, but I figured that I might as well take the assorted parts and make a whole engine to save clutter and get another complete engine in the stable.  I grabbed a Black Widow tank and backplate, some loose 8cc tank screws, a crankcase which looks pretty new, a #1 cylinder and piston, and a glow head from the 'good' glow head bin.  

All the tank needed was a new venturi gasket and it was ready to go.  The P/C was seized, so I heated them up with a heat gun and they reluctantly came apart.  A clean with some light oil, a cylinder brush and a ScotchBrite pad and they were good to go after a quick wipe down and re-oiling.  Unfortunately, the case that I grabbed is a modern case with hex drive plate.  If I had been thinking ahead I would have grabbed a case for a zero drag started spring.  Eh, what’s a couple hundred RPM?

Reassembled with a couple of new glow head gaskets and the appropriate starter spring and plate and my new Grey Widow was ready to mount.

Ta-dah!!!

Interestin eBay item 20230127-154859
Interestin eBay item 20230127-154947

Hopefully the weather will be okay in the next few days and I’ll be able to test fly this puppy.

Coincidentally, I got an email today from the mount manufacturer.  The original mount that got sent to Oregon was returned to him today!  People are good.  The manufacturer said he has visited the CEF on occasion.  He has an eBay store that has a lot of Cox parts that he 3D prints.  The name of his shop is Sea4Design. (http://www.sea4design.com/)  Looking at his store, I see a few things that I need for a couple of my Cox projects.  He has created a discount code for CEF members to get 15% off of purchases on his store.  It is CEFSAVE15.  Give it a look.

The Vanilla Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:33 am

That's Great Mark 15% is Nice ! yes he does have some pretty good looking stuff ! The plane looks good , how many degrees did you set the engine at for offset ? pears to bee quite a bit . Popcorn Hope full you can fly soon . Popcorn
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Liquidice Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:40 am

The Man-Win looks great mark! I'm the guy from eBay selling these and other 3D printed parts, thanks for reminding me to get back on the forum it's been a long time since I've been here.

This forum is the reason for my 3D printing hobby. I was looking for a gear for a Cox 1:20 car, I think it was the frame from a corvette and the driven gear was broken. Someone on the forum suggested I 3D print it and also offered to help me by printing the initial prototypes. I fell in love with 3D printing and have been using it to make replacement parts and plenty of other projects for the past several years. All of the Cox replacement parts are ones I made for my collection then put on eBay for other collectors.

I don't have a lot of time for designing at this time, but if anyone has special requests please reach out and I'll see what I can do. This weekend I'm planning to make whitewall decals for the Cox Corvette at the request of someone on eBay. It won't be 3D printed, they will be vinyl decals cut on the Silhouette Cameo I just got to make accessories for the Jim Walker inspired gliders I'm making now too.
Liquidice
Liquidice
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

https://www.sea4design.com

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:19 pm

getback wrote:The plane looks good , how many degrees did you set the engine at for offset?

Eric, the plans call for ~18 degrees, so I pulled out my handy-dandy little angle gage and set the mount to 18 degrees.  It does look a little much, but that's what the .pdf shows, so I just follow the drawing.

The Dandy Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Michpatriot Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:01 pm

Comon nice weather..Interestin eBay item 16749510
Michpatriot
Michpatriot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:50 am

Interestin eBay item 16750010    These pull starts r needed at some times and can't bee found for the Nissan GTP Nitro cars . Just to make them available would work , we get people looking for them on here now and then ... JasonWI was making them and sent me 3 I broke one cause they seem a little brittle OR i bent it wrong tring it ??
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:58 am

OH and Mark i was thinking 15% for the mount so not off either way Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Liquidice Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:02 am

It was JasonWI who helped me get started on the gears too, I had forgotten until I saw the post about the pull start. I would need to get an original to take measurements from, but I will also reach out to JasonWI since he has already made the design, maybe he and I can figure out how to make more available.
Liquidice
Liquidice
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:16 pm

I hope you can get in touch with him , Been a while since he has been on here / if it would help i can send you one to get the measurements from ((( I know it not that easy though, Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Michpatriot Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:56 pm

I wonder if one of those could be made with Delrin strip stock? Maybe a printed paper template glued to a Delrin strip, then careful bandsaw rough‐in, follow up with triangle file to the lines on template..a bit of work but I think the Delrin would last a long time..definitely would not do this method for production but..

Edit i just went back and looked at all those teeth..ridiculous idea..sheesh..dono
Michpatriot
Michpatriot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Liquidice Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:00 pm

getback: I'll be sending you a PM to see what we can work out for me to have one to copy. I have some ideas to make the design process a bit easier. The real challenge will be finding the right material for them to be durable enough and whether my printers can handle it, but it could be a fun project!
Liquidice
Liquidice
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next