Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

D-Day, Overlord, the Great Invasion Cox_ba12

D-Day, Overlord, the Great Invasion Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by Ken Cook Today at 6:42 pm

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by rsv1cox Today at 6:25 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 6:14 pm

» B-25 Mitchell
by roddie Today at 3:09 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Today at 2:24 pm

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Today at 2:23 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 10:54 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Ken Cook Today at 6:52 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by roddie Today at 1:48 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by MauricioB Yesterday at 7:39 am

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Fri May 10, 2024 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Fri May 10, 2024 9:02 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

D-Day, Overlord, the Great Invasion Empty
Live on Patrol

D-Day, Overlord, the Great Invasion

Go down

D-Day, Overlord, the Great Invasion Empty D-Day, Overlord, the Great Invasion

Post  andrew Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:17 pm

June 6, 1944 -- the date of the greatest invasion ever known took place on the beaches of Normandy.  Some 73,000 young men, boys really, 18, 19, 20, 21 years old, stepped off some 1500 Higgins boats or parachuted to almost sure death or injury.  I'm certain most were terrified, nearly paralyzed with fear, yet they stepped off anyway.  This stands in stark contrast to many today who need a safe space to pout because someone hurt their feelings.

June 6 is a reverent day for me because it symbolizes some of the best America had to offer.  I am forever thankful for these men and those that followed for the life that I have been able to live and enjoy, something that many of those never had the chance to have.

Please don't see this as a political rant -- it's just an old man saying, "Thank you."

a--
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

D-Day, Overlord, the Great Invasion Empty Re: D-Day, Overlord, the Great Invasion

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:03 am

Here's a story that you will not hear of often now, but President Theodore Roosevelt's son, Theodore Roosevelt Jr. was a WW2 hero. As Brigadier General, during D-Day, was on the front lines at Normandy's Utah Beach leading the troops into battle. Now age 56, unfortunately he suffered a heart attack there. General Barton was going to posthumously award him the Distinguished Service Cross. When word of his actions of bravery on the beach reached him, the General had it upgraded to the Medal of Honor. Here is the rest of the story:

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/world-war-ii/teddy-roosevelt-jr-medal-of-honor-xc.html
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

D-Day, Overlord, the Great Invasion Empty Re: D-Day, Overlord, the Great Invasion

Post  HalfaDave Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:11 am

Hi Andrew,
A horriffic day, that should be forever remembered.
And never to repeat again.
All the details are mute.
Unless, we learn from history.
Take care,
Have fun,
Dave
HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:44 am

Thanks Andrew for acknowledging this important day.  Lieven, a resident of the area usually contributes.

Lieven sent me sand from the beaches there along with a reproduction "clicker" (one click answered by two) and a souvenir plate which I keep in my display case along with vials of sand that my grandson gave me.  He was a part of the 75th anniversary celebration event when as a part of the Air National Guard ferried a C-130 over to take part in the activities.  Something that he will never forget.

D-Day, Overlord, the Great Invasion Three_12
D-Day, Overlord, the Great Invasion P1015520

Last edited by rsv1cox on Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:28 pm

3 years ago, I went hiking with my wife near the village of ELETOT, just north of Fecamp in the Seine Maritime, one of the 4 Normandy departements. The cimetary of the village is around the church and there is 1 soldier burried there: Trooper Ivor Douglas James APLIN who died on 24 June 1944. He was part of the 43rd Wessex recconnaisance regiment

D-Day, Overlord, the Great Invasion Eletot13

D-Day, Overlord, the Great Invasion P7060014

D-Day, Overlord, the Great Invasion P7060015

D-Day, Overlord, the Great Invasion P7060016

The village of Eletot was liberated only on the 2nd of September by the 51st Highlander Infantry Division. Why APLIN was burried there, 2,5 months before the Germans left?

APLIN embarked on 18 June 1944 on board the 1 year old cargo MV DERRYCUNIHY in London with destination SWORD beach, the most eastern beach and arrived on 21 June. Due to enemy fire and stormy weather, the soldiers could not disembark. On 24 June, it was decided to sail to Juno beach. When the vessel left in the morning, it hit an acoustic mine.

D-Day, Overlord, the Great Invasion Derryc10

The vessel split in half and many died. APLIN's body floated away in nothern direction, crossed the Seine bay and was found at the bottom of the cliffs near Eletot, hence his grave.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Derrycunihy_(1943)

Last edited by OVERLORD on Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:06 am; edited 1 time in total
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:15 pm

Thanks Andrew, my father in law gave me a rock from Normandy . Every time I look at it I am reminded of the brave men that took part in the invasion. It makes me sick when I see people take our freedom for granted.
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

D-Day, Overlord, the Great Invasion Empty You have no clue..

Post  cmulder Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:46 pm

andrew wrote:This stands in stark contrast to many today who need a safe space to pout because someone hurt their feelings.

This kind of short sighted supidety makes my blood boil.....
If you follow what is happening in Ukraine then you would know this generation is as courageous as the generation of WOII.
How many 18 year old GIRLS where fighting at the front in WOII?
ANd yes even GAY and LESBIANs are fighting on the fronts there.
The Ukraine topic on reddit is a good start to see what is really going on with manny reports straight from the front line by the people who do the fighting.

Those who do take care of themselfs and create a "save space" and "pout" will stay happier instead of becomming bitter old men who criticize people who are diferent then them.

And in case any of you guys want to "pull rank" ;
My grandmother had a thank you letter from Dwight D Eisenhower. Thanking her for hiding shot down air crews in a hidden space under the kitchen floor. They hid there during the day
During the night they would be moved to the next hiding place on te way back to the U.K.
The people next door where hiding Jews. They where betrayed and never returned,

You Americans need to get out more and learn what is really is going on in the world.
cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:53 pm

Hi All,
Try doing this 5,000 times in one day,
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=normandy+sand+on+headstones#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:1ee5f45b,vid:4mzVWvUS8rM
~10% more never made it to the beaches...

Lest We Forget,

Dave
HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

D-Day, Overlord, the Great Invasion Empty A good way to honor their sacrifices

Post  cmulder Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:43 pm

Many of the graves have been "adopted" by either famelies or organisations like schools.
They help mantain them.

A good way to honnor them is to make sure the freedoms they fought for can be enjoyed by all.
The freedom to love regardless of percerptions.
The freedom to be who you are regardless of perceptions.
The freedom to read and learn regardless of perceptions.

Having grown up right where many of the battles of WOII have been fought it is insane to see some countries still surpress people for who they are.

I have the english translation of "Mein Kampf" in .pdf
If anyone wants a copy send me a pm ; i strongly recomend reading it.
You willl see that a lot of the thoughts expressed in it are reappearing again so you can recognise the dangers they bring.
cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:19 pm

Reddit for reliable info? Ya right.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:26 pm

Hi cmulder,
As a Cox engine friend,
I suggest you back off, of the 65% Nitro.
And/or put a few head gaskets in. Smile
Andrew, just 'honoured' those who fell on D-Day.
No big deal. (no politics)
It is a good thing.
Many uncounted Canadian merchant ships were lost (all hands) in the North Sea, hauling American war stuff to Russia.
Sure, I mourn them, they did the right thing.
You say the word, 'perceptions'.
And 'Freedom'. Allot.
I suggest you learn from history.
It is why D-Day happened.
Have a nice day,
NATO, was the best thing about WW2.
Pick your side.
Take care,
Have fun,
Dave

HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:11 pm

Guys, keep the politics to a minimum.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:43 pm

Hi Admin,
Thanks.
Perspective,
Is way better than 'perceptions'...
Take care,
Have fun,
Dave
HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:45 am

cm.......... I was with you until this:

"You Americans need to get out more and learn what is really is going on in the world."

"Americans" have shed more blood and treasure in defence of freedom and thought for everybody than any other culture in the history of the world. We have been, are, and always will be - out there!

Respectfully

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

D-Day, Overlord, the Great Invasion Empty " save space"

Post  cmulder Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:31 pm

Admin wrote:Guys, keep the politics to a minimum.
Are you saying this forum should be a "save space" for mostly grown men to discuss playing with toys intended for childeren?
See how easy it is too ridicule things?
Everyone should be allouwed to have there "save space" without ridicule , judgment or even hate.

The mindset expressed also contributes to the decline of our hobby; there are manny examples of the younger generation wanting to join model flying clubs only to be driven away by the disrespect of the older generation.
cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

D-Day, Overlord, the Great Invasion Empty If dead people is the measure..

Post  cmulder Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:06 pm

rsv1cox wrote:cm.......... I was with you until this:

"You Americans need to get out more and learn what is really is going on in the world."

"Americans" have shed more blood and treasure in defence of freedom and thought for everybody than any other culture in the history of the world.  We have been, are, and always will be - out there!

Respectfully

Bob

About 24.000.000 people of the former Soviet Union died in the second world war.
Also about 20.000.000 Chinese .
The Netherlands had 301,000 dying as a direct result of the war and if you include the colonies (now indonesia) you could add another 3.000.000 to that list.
The United States suffered far less with 418.500.

How many languages do you speak and how manny countries have you visited?
The clubfield i used to fly at was so close to the border with belgium that when we landed from the south we had to fly trough "foorreign airspace".
Many "Americans" never leave the U.S.A. so never experience diferent cultures in person.
So they also don't know what true "freedom" is.

cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  WKMBuckeyes Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:10 pm

cmulder wrote:
Are you saying this forum should be a "save space" for mostly grown men to discuss playing with toys intended for childeren?
Everyone should be allouwed to have there "save space" without ridicule ,  judgment or even hate.

The mindset expressed also contributes to the decline of our hobby; there are manny examples of the younger generation wanting to join model flying clubs only to be driven away by the disrespect of the older generation.

Sent you a PM to say what I wanted to say. Btw, never been out of the US, but have been invited to go to other countries with family friends in the future.

Last edited by WKMBuckeyes on Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added comment)
WKMBuckeyes
WKMBuckeyes
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:06 pm

cm....

About 24.000.000 people of the former Soviet Union died in the second world war.
Also about 20.000.000 Chinese .
The Netherlands had 301,000 dying as a direct result of the war and if you include the colonies (now indonesia) you could add another 3.000.000 to that list.
The United States suffered far less with 418.500

There is a big difference between "In defence of" and as a "result" of.  America didn't start the fire, we just helped put it out in a big way.  

I would also offer that the American tourist contributes greatly to most European countries bottom line.  And we are still the major contributer to NATO.

Bob
U.S. Navy retired
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:58 pm

cmulder wrote:
Everyone should be allouwed to have there "save space" without ridicule ,  judgment or even hate.

Political, religious or otherwise controversial discussions would be fine if folks could control themselves and live with knowing their online friend who they've shared modeling tips with for the past few years happens to have "radically opposite" viewpoints in some off-topic discussion. It never fails that the discussion progresses into personal attacks, and one or more members up and leaving the forum. So I guess you could call it a "safe space" if you wish, except you can argue all you want over engines and modeling stuff...so long as it's respectful.

However, if you want to discuss some controversial topics with your CEF friends a bit more, feel free to do so in the Redneck Zone.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:18 pm

My apologies for not being around much these days. Seems things can escalate quickly. What was a friendly informative post went a little sour.

Generationally things are changing. I see it every day and have my own opinions. This forum has survived as long as it has because the Admin is tough and fair. If we just follow the rules as written it works well.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:50 am

D-Day, Overlord, the Great Invasion Img_2016

A détail of the bootlid of my Citroën traction avant.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:10 am

[quote="

A détail of the bootlid of my Citroën traction avant.[/quote]

D-Day, Overlord, the Great Invasion Tracti10

Picture from wikipedia

One of my all time favorites Lieven. Made for many years in the '30's '40's.  I love the low-slung design and the visual flow of it.

I wonder how many of these were commendered by the Germans during the occupation, then the Allies.  I am somewhat amazed by the French being such supporters and celebrators of the invasion considering the damage inflected by the Allies in the Normandy area.  Necessory as it might have been.  Catastrophic would be an understatement.  

We are proud to be your Ally.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down