Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

From Canada today Cox_ba12

From Canada today Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Today at 8:05 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by MauricioB Today at 7:39 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:52 am

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Yesterday at 7:42 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:09 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 5:13 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 2:51 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 2:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Yesterday at 2:03 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Yesterday at 2:01 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

From Canada today Empty
Live on Patrol

From Canada today

Go down

From Canada today Empty From Canada today

Post  944_Jim Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:50 pm

This thing looks brand new! The mounting tabs bear no scratches although the holes are drilled out. I missed that when I bought it on RCG. It has good compression, and.most importantly the conrod/crank have no slop. The top end looks new, as does the muffler. In short, I can scavenge the innards and top end for one of the clunkers I bought some time ago.

The second picture shows a strong glow visible through the primer port. Yes, a .09...I'm getting closer to building my 36" Frog Mosquito!
From Canada today Img_2160
From Canada today Img_2161

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

From Canada today Empty Re: From Canada today

Post  rsv1cox Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:15 am

Super clean and pretty Jim.

09's are difficult to find in that condition. The .09 is the least collected of all my Cox engines I may have just two and beaters at that. Checked. Nope I only have one and it's on my "flaps" plane. I think I gave the other one away.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:40 am

Good looking engine Jim , is this the second or first engine two go on the 36" Frog Mosquito ??
Leaves
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:48 am

Congratulations on the engine Jim!…. I remember the videos of the P-40 with the Norvel barreling around the circle…I can just imagine a Mosquito with twin .09’s…. Just the sound of it would be awesome !!

rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:29 pm

Ummm...third or fourth. I previously gambled (and lost) on a few goose eggs. So of the five or so, I hope to have two really good ones. If I have two good non-spi cylinders, I'll have two engines with mufflers.
Time to bust out the kit to see what I need. This was a short kit custom cut by Mark Winstanley in Canada (Kanata Aircraft Models). I know I need LE and TE stock and some plywood.
Hmmm...maybe I need to look for Canadian livery given the kit and engine sources.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:01 pm

I plan to use two Enya 09s on my one...09-III and 09-IV so the mufflers both are on the underside and less obtrusive. Mine will be scratch built, from the kitplan from Ebay vendor 'flyer21uk'....who rather nicely includes a second sheet with the outlines of the Frog kit precut wood parts on it.

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:35 pm

Jim, you're doing another one of these, right?

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t10666-bhm-mosquito-in-ms-build?highlight=mosquito

You had the courage to fly your's while I didn't. Reason why mine is still intact. Sad You had the thrill of seeing it in the air, I didn't and probably never will. To your advantage and credit. My loss.

I put twin Enya 3001's on mine Chris. I'm still waiting for someone more qualified than I am to show up and fly it.

From Canada today P1016643
From Canada today P1016644
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:23 pm

Chris, I checked the 'Bay and found your seller. His advert says nothing about a second sheet. Several years ago I paid an English dude for the rib patterns he traced from his kit. Those wound up on Outerzone shortly after I "paid the ransom." I'd love to see a full size patterns sheet beyond the ribs (hint, hint).

Back when I got the rib tracings, I contacted Mr. Winstanley regarding the cutting job. I supplied the previously purchased rib tracings, the Medallion .09.instruction sheet with engine measurements and the link for the plan sheet. I asked for some custom work...in particular spacing the nacelles' beam slots for a different dimension hardwood and a few materials changes related to thickness.

He did a fine job of doing as asked and digitally 3d modelled the kit before handing me micro-size cut sheet PDF proofs for my review as we worked out the change in sizing.  Since I was watching the KK Radian build on RCG, I had him cut my copy of that too! Finally I sent the money and held my breath. Really, I think we had the engineering work done in two weeks. Then it was another couple of weeks to receive both short kits.

I want to say all of this transpired right around the time I smashed the BHM Mossie.

Bob, yours inspired me to finish mine. I've mentioned before how you have an audience...we just don't always clap in applause. Since I wanted more out of my next twin and love the Mosquito, this is the one I'll start.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5303

I still have to complete the Brown/Novotnik Mini-Mossie so I recover some building room. I'll start a separate build log for the Frog.

I don't know who has the longest running build logs here...but I bet it is a toss-up between me and Roddie. I have four at the moment. Yeesh, how embarrassing!

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:41 pm

944_Jim wrote:Chris, I checked the 'Bay and found your seller. His advert says nothing about a second sheet. Several years ago I paid an English dude for the rib patterns he traced from his kit. Those wound up on Outerzone shortly after I "paid the ransom." I'd love to see a full size patterns sheet beyond the ribs (hint, hint).

Back when I got the rib tracings, I contacted Mr. Winstanley regarding the cutting job. I supplied the previously purchased rib tracings, the Medallion .09.instruction sheet with engine measurements and the link for the plan sheet. I asked for some custom work...in particular spacing the nacelles' beam slots for a different dimension hardwood and a few materials changes related to thickness.

He did a fine job of doing as asked and digitally 3d modelled the kit before handing me micro-size cut sheet PDF proofs for my review as we worked out the change in sizing.  Since I was watching the KK Radian build on RCG, I had him cut my copy of that too! Finally I sent the money and held my breath. Really, I think we had the engineering work done in two weeks. Then it was another couple of weeks to receive both short kits.

I want to say all of this transpired right around the time I smashed the BHM Mossie.

Bob, yours inspired me to finish mine. I've mentioned before how you have an audience...we just don't always clap in applause. Since I wanted more out of my next twin and love the Mosquito, this is the one I'll start.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5303

I still have to complete the Brown/Novotnik Mini-Mossie so I recover some building room. I'll start a separate build log for the Frog.

I don't know who has the longest running build logs here...but I bet it is a toss-up between me and Roddie. I have four at the moment. Yeesh, how embarrassing!

Jim-I'm more than happy to copy the relevant sheet for you (disappears in direction of modelling room to dig out the plan)......having located it-it seems to me that someone-possibly Dereck or whomever he sourced his original from-has had a complete unbuilt Frog Mosquito kit-and has taken all the diecut, bandsawed and/or loose parts from the kit and traced around them-this includes the fuselage pieces, fuselage doublers, engine nacelles, fin, tailplane elevator halves, fin etc-but also such non wood parts as the fuel tank-all 3 profiles, bellcrank, and undercarriage leg....so everything you need to duplicate the kit and build the model.

I doubt I'll even make a start on mine till at least midway through next year...as per my moniker, my primary interest is freeflight-and after that scale-and I have three FF power scale projects at various stages of completion currently being worked on...some of them over a decade old....which tells you everything you need to know about procrastination...and some older plans-which to use the immortal words of Terry Pratchett re sorceresses -but equally applicable to some plans "no better than they should be..."-unfortunately you generally discover this about the 95% structurally complete stage...as in my Eric Fearnley Cessna BirdDog....where if built as plan, it is impossible to install the engine-or if installed during building, impossible to removed it should it need attention or replacement. fortunately I discovered this not too late-but it has made work on the nose rather difficult-and means that as well as a removeable top cowling-I now need a removeable from 'noseblock'....which will have to be retained by long screws.......and so it goes on...

I hope-in the not too distant future-ie realistically the next couple of years-to be able to field two C/l scale twins-one for profile scale-the Mosquito, plus a another fully scale twin-which I haven't decided on....though I'm very tempted by the Model Aircraft Hoh Fang Chuin Swedish Saab 18 bomber plan published ca 1958....but there is also the Bristol Beaufighter and Henschel HS129 twins from around the same period-also published in 'Model Aircraft'....I quite like the idea of a torpedo dropping Beaufighter....easily done with a electronic timer operated servo rather than messing around about with extra control lines....

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:48 am

The Beaufighter Chris.........one butt ugly airplane but with a dedicated following. I love it and have often thought of modeling it myself. I love twins.

From wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Beaufighter

From Canada today Beaufi10
From Canada today Aircra31
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:42 pm

I got some running time on the engine today.
Two ounces were run through on the bench while swinging an 8x4 prop. I did have to substitute a needle and spring from one of the other .09s.
It was too cold to go find the tach. The starter panel battery was nearly dead. My fingers got cold.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:46 am

944_Jim wrote:

Don't worry! I will probably end up winning that one with my free flight stick-and-tissue airplane! Very Happy
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down