Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Copper star reeds for Babe Bees with circlips Cox_ba12

Copper star reeds for Babe Bees with circlips Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 10:05 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by roddie Today at 8:48 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by F4D Phantom II Today at 6:25 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 3:05 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Yesterday at 4:07 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 4:02 am

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Yesterday at 2:42 am

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 12:13 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Fri May 10, 2024 9:51 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Fri May 10, 2024 9:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Fri May 10, 2024 9:03 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Copper star reeds for Babe Bees with circlips Empty
Live on Patrol

Copper star reeds for Babe Bees with circlips

Go down

Copper star reeds for Babe Bees with circlips Empty Copper star reeds for Babe Bees with circlips

Post  RknRusty Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:58 am

This topic may be appropriate for the Cox Discussions, but I put it here since I wondered it they can be bought.

I was using a Babe Bee with a circlip and a mylar reed recently to break in a new SPI piston/cylinder. Although it ran well, the circlip holds the reed down tighter than the new retainers. It's obvious when you do the suck-blow test that it doesn't let as much air through as the other retainers.

The old copper star shaped ones were slightly bent at the tip of each "star" which may have given it more freedom to flex. I'm only drawing on memory from the '60s, if you know what I mean.Smoking But I think these may allow for more fuel to pass when using a high perf cylinder. I tried grinding a circlip thinner but it made no difference, and I didn't want the crankcase to ingest it.

I looked at both of our favorite sellers and only saw copper reeds for the Queen Bee. Are they too large for a Babe? They don't look like they have a bend in the tip, but I think they would still flex more. Any thoughts on this?

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Copper star reeds for Babe Bees with circlips Empty Re: Copper star reeds for Babe Bees with circlips

Post  jetpack Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:33 am

I've thought about it hard enough to try and think what it would take to make a punch and die set to make them myself. A really nice paper single hole punch might do the trick.

The .074 reed is the largest reed valve Cox has ever made and those reeds are big in those.

I've tried to salvage bent or creased reeds by rolling them with a wood dowel with some success but I would only save that method for the last ditch effort or something to experiment with.

Last edited by jetpack on Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
jetpack
jetpack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Copper star reeds for Babe Bees with circlips Empty Re: Copper star reeds for Babe Bees with circlips

Post  RknRusty Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:41 am

If you could take a grinding tool and deepen the face if the boss under where the reed sits, the circlip in its groove would then be slightly higher over the reed. This would allow free movement like the new retainers do. I may to try and find a grinding or sanding wheel for the Dremel that would do it. Worth trying anyway. I'll put it on my list of things to experiment with.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:49 am

I talked to a guy who had some hand held paper hole punches made in china that punched out reeds (said it would only handle mylar or other soft material) and a punch that punched out .049 crankcase gaskets. He said it cost him around $1000 to have 10 of each made. He asked me if I would like to buy a set for $350. Sometimes I wish I would have taken it but at that time 2 punches for $350 sounded like A LOT! I tried to make a reed punch out of a sharpened metal rod with the sides filed off to give the reed that "oval" shape. I took the rod and hammered it into a piece of wood and then hammered it into a thin piece of sheet metal to make a "reed shaped" hole. It did not work as well as I thought it should. I later went back to cutting the reeds by hand. If I can still find the punch laying around here, I may start to work on it again. I was making reeds out of mylar floppy disc material. I did not try any metals with it yet, that may actually work better. I currently only use the factory reeds in my engines but I do like to mess around with other reed materials. I think the bending came from actual engine use over time as I have opened up new slightly used Babe Bees that did not have any edge bending to their reeds but I did open up well used engines to find the reeds had bent edges.
Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  warrenlead Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:13 am

Yes I agree that the slight bending of the beryllium copper occurs over time. New ones are perfectly flat.

I had discussions with Larry Renger a few years ago about reeds. He said that the newer disc style reeds were more efficient and out of all the different materials he preferred stainless steels ones for reliability. The nylon, mylar and teflon ones are supposed to be better because they are lightweight and move easier but they don't last as long because they become warped easily.

Cheers

warrenlead
warrenlead
Gold Member
Gold Member

https://www.facebook.com/groups/coxengines/

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:48 am

warrenlead wrote:he preferred stainless steels ones for reliability. The nylon, mylar and teflon ones are supposed to be better because they are lightweight and move easier but they don't last as long because they become warped easily.

I do like the stainless steel ones even though most people think Estes junk when you bring up stainless reeds. I have had good luck with the mylar but my '90 Black Widow came with a mylar reed that warped from being in the reed retainer for about 12 years before it actually ran. It did run with that reed but I replaced it with a star shaped mylar reed that boosted its rpms by 2000 or so.
Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  GermanBeez Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:41 am

the problem with the airflow explained at the top is just what i experienced with my black widow.
it had a mylar reed. but what i've actually noticed is that there is much less pressure buildup in the
crank case when the piston goes down, so much less fuel gets into the actual piston.
i noticed the same thing when i disassembled it and gave it the old suck in draw out routine. the
mylar reed never held entirely shut. that's why i'm running all of them on copper star at the moment.
GermanBeez
GermanBeez
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  warrenlead Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:34 pm

Was probably the most common problem.

Back in the day when you bought a Cox model and it didnt work ie wouldnt, start you could take it back and they would give you another.

Back to the Cox factory they had these 44 gallon drums full of various 049 product engines. Every one of these engines supposedly did not run.

A guy I know here in Oz, went an purchased 2 drums of these motors for a Public Schools model building and flying program he was doing back in the 70s and 80s.

The majority of these engines ran with no problem. Some either had stuck reed valves, two reed valves, no reed valve or a bent reed valve. We used to sit around at the club house before he would go on one of his trips and fix up and test 30-60 motors... it was a lot of fun, but always either the reed valve or glow plug if anything.

warrenlead
warrenlead
Gold Member
Gold Member

https://www.facebook.com/groups/coxengines/

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:39 pm

I hope one day I find a drum that size of "faulty" tee dee .010s.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:46 pm

If there s a point to "pre-stressing" a reed in either direction what is it?

"Curious minds want to know"

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  GermanBeez Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:15 pm

id bend it towards the venturi. might not be right, but thats what i would do.
GermanBeez
GermanBeez
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:03 pm

GermanBeez wrote:the problem with the airflow explained at the top is just what i experienced with my black widow.
it had a mylar reed. but what i've actually noticed is that there is much less pressure buildup in the
crank case when the piston goes down, so much less fuel gets into the actual piston.
i noticed the same thing when i disassembled it and gave it the old suck in draw out routine. the
mylar reed never held entirely shut. that's why I'm running all of them on copper star at the moment.
When I use a new mylar reed, the first thing I do is probe the edges with a fingernail and feel for a rough lip around the edges, rolled over from when it was stamped out. Some have it, others don't. They are the ones that leak or squeak under pressure. I scrape it off with a razor blade and then they usually seal so hard and fast that I can't detect any back flow(flipping it upside down would probably fix it too). That's what I use in my BWs. They eventually warp outward a bit, so if the engine seems to be a little less fast it's time for a new one. Mine have been running all Summer and might be starting to drop off a little, but still good enough so far.
I have some steel reeds but I have yet to put any serious run time on them. The added weight of steel could conceivably make it a little slower to react to the pressure changes, but that's just one of my wild speculations.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down