Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Question regarding Measuring and setting head clearance Cox_ba12

Question regarding Measuring and setting head clearance Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Today at 8:05 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by MauricioB Today at 7:39 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:52 am

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Yesterday at 7:42 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:09 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 5:13 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 2:51 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 2:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Yesterday at 2:03 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Yesterday at 2:01 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Question regarding Measuring and setting head clearance Empty
Live on Patrol

Question regarding Measuring and setting head clearance

Go down

Question regarding Measuring and setting head clearance Empty Question regarding Measuring and setting head clearance

Post  Lane Puckett Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:22 pm

Other than by guess and by gosh then run it how are you guys setting the head clearance on the cox motors? Are you doing it the same as the larger motors are is there a more accurate way? I don't like using Plasti-gage or solder. This link is the process I use on the bigger motors but this tool makes use of the liner and the Cox isn't setup that way. http://www.darrolcady.com/Accessories/LinerTool/newlinertool.html

If this has been covered already please steer me to the link as my search didn't find it.

Thank you,
Lane
Lane Puckett
Lane Puckett

Back to top Go down

Question regarding Measuring and setting head clearance Empty Re: Question regarding Measuring and setting head clearance

Post  SuperDave Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:56 pm

Lane:

On Cox engines it is usually done by either adding or subtracting thin copper head gaskets.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Question regarding Measuring and setting head clearance Empty Re: Question regarding Measuring and setting head clearance

Post  RknRusty Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:10 pm

SuperDave wrote:Lane:

On Cox engines it is usually done by either adding or subtracting thin copper head gaskets.
That's pretty much the case. We Cox users change the compression to account for fuel mixture, prop size, and wide variations in temperature. There are rules of thumb that work pretty well, such as adding a head shim(washer/gasket) for every 10 percent of nitromethane, starting with 1 shim for less than 20%(a poor formula for a Cox), 2 for 20%, 3 for 30%, etc. Cox parts were made with extremely reliable tolerances, so this may be the reason you're finding no information on the subject.

On the other hand, every engine has it's own performance characteristics, so experimentation on each one to find its happy compression spot isn't uncommon. There are lots of head and plug configurations that can be tried to tune an engine to its peak.

As far as decking the heads, the only reason I've ever done it it to ensure a good seal against the copper shims. Some people change the timing by shimming the cylinder height at the crankcase. There are various reasons for this, including eliminating sub piston induction so you can use a muffler, but for the most part it usually isn't helpful, and more than not it's hurtful to performance.

That's all I've got. Maybe someone with more engine knowledge will come along with a better answer. Paul Gibeault is probably our best expert at squeezing every last bit of power out of Coxes. If you PM him, he'll answer. Also see his Mouse Racer article pinned at the top of Cox Discussions.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  ahrma_581 Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:50 pm

This thread has some info: https://www.coxengineforum.com/t1372-timing-vs-compresion

Search tip: use the 'Google' button to search on thread content, not just title.
ahrma_581
ahrma_581
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:03 pm

I somehow missed the last part of that thread. It may be helpful to Lane. Thanks Mark, for posting it, and Ahrma for dredging it up.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Lane Puckett Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:42 pm

That link has what I was looking for. I can measure from there.

I have a bunch of glow plug gaskets in many thickness(2,4,6, and 8 thou) so I can get the right clearance. Just needed a means of measuring the thing.

Appreciate the information.

Thank you,

Lane
Lane Puckett
Lane Puckett

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down