Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Shell Shocks First Cox Build Cox_ba12

Shell Shocks First Cox Build Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Today at 1:11 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Today at 11:36 am

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 10:48 am

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 10:26 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by getback Today at 9:55 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Today at 8:06 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Shell Shocks First Cox Build Empty
Live on Patrol

Shell Shocks First Cox Build

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Shell Shocks First Cox Build Empty Shell Shocks First Cox Build

Post  shell shock Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:48 pm

Hey there CECF,
Well its official, My engine has officially hit my towns post office ^_^. I will have my engine most likely by tomm. I am making my own slow park flyer, and as such, plan to keep a build log of my progress. I have tons of sketches and ideas i will slowly add to this topic, and soon build pics. So let me know what you guys think. Comments? Questions? Ideas? Rude Gestures?

Till next up date
SS
Futaba Radio
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Shell Shocks First Cox Build Empty Re: Shell Shocks First Cox Build

Post  nitroairplane Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:17 am

shell shock wrote:Hey there CECF,
Well its official, My engine has officially hit my towns post office ^_^. I will have my engine most likely by tomm. I am making my own slow park flyer, and as such, plan to keep a build log of my progress. I have tons of sketches and ideas i will slowly add to this topic, and soon build pics. So let me know what you guys think. Comments? Questions? Ideas? Rude Gestures?

Till next up date
SS
Futaba Radio

Nice do you have any scanned images to show us?
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  shell shock Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:02 am

I will by this afternoon. my scanner is broken so i have to use the schools. lol!

So some quick info in the mean time:
Radio: Spektrum DX5
Receiver: Spektrum 6 channel park module
Servos: 3 9gram mystery (yes thats the company) brand servos.
Engine: .049 throttled cox engine (the generic no tank from coxs international)

cheers
SS

*edit* it is now at my house. i wont see it till bout 10pm tnigh though due to the fact that i have work.... DANG DAB NABIT DAMN IT! :3

*edit #2* plane (like in the youube video) will be made out of coreflute

Last edited by shell shock on Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : New Information)
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Shell Shocks First Cox Build Empty Its beautiful!

Post  shell shock Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:16 pm

SOOOOOO i got the engine last night! little bugger is smaller then i though ^_^. I only had 10% nitro, 50% caster on me, so i tried to run it off a tank of that. It ran for like 10 secs (just wanted to make sure it wasnt a dud). man, what a sweet little engine. Was up to 1am cutting out the body . Is going to be a compact stick plane.
I know i said i would have scetches, but no time to scan.

Here is a quick Microsoft Paint look XP[img]Shell Shocks First Cox Build Delete10[/img]
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:33 pm

[quote="shell shock"]" I only had 10% nitro, 50% caster on me"

HINT: It's supposed to go in the engine and not on you! lol! lol! lol!

Don't you need a shower now????? You must feel pretty slippery. Very Happy Very Happy Rolling Eyes
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:58 pm

SS: Recommend that you bench-run several tanks of fuel through the engine before trying it on an actual plane. A ten-second burst isn't a good measure how how well an engine runs. It may not even run the tank out of fuel for example.

ADVICE: Personally I completely disassemble and check every new engine that I get; strange things have been know to be found like metal shavings (NOT good).
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  shell shock Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:40 am

[quote="SuperDave"]
shell shock wrote:" I only had 10% nitro, 50% caster on me"

HINT: It's supposed to go in the engine and not on you! lol! lol! lol!

Don't you need a shower now????? You must feel pretty slippery. Very Happy Very Happy Rolling Eyes

HA
HA...
oh yah... HA (actually that was pretty smart XP)

and what i ment by running for 10 seconds is due to the low nitro content, it would only run for 10 seconds. he he he. have to go pick up some higher nitro content fuel. and yes, its mounted on my bench (the engine that is)
thanks for the advice though, is there any way to dis assemble without the wrench? (i plan on ordering it, but im between pay cheques, and im planning on doing another big order soon).
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:03 am

Caution you to use ONLY the appropriate Cox wrench to remove the cylinder head as doing otherwise can damage the aluminum cooling fins. They are only $3 from the vendors and well worth the investment in damage prevented.

I also recommend the correct fitting screwdivers; I use gunsmithing screw drivers that fit properly and cause no damage to the screws. On a nice engine "butchering" the screw heads detracts considerably from the engine's appearance and $$$ value.

Last edited by SuperDave on Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  shell shock Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:06 am

ahh, so this will be an exercise in patience i see... i need to wait 1 week from the day of ordering. actually that is quite perfect, i can finish building the plane by then.
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:20 am

shell shock wrote:ahh, so this will be an exercise in patience i see... i need to wait 1 week from the day of ordering. actually that is quite perfect, i can finish building the plane by then.

Most everything worth doing right requires patience. Can you name an eception? Huh...
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  shell shock Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:26 am

My name comes from my Mil Sim regiment. You cant pin me down. But yes, usually i run blind into things XP this will not be one of those times!

My impatience: this is stupid
Me: stupid?
Me:THIS IS COX! *sits at desk putting in an order*
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:01 pm

shell shock wrote:

.........and what i ment by running for 10 seconds is due to the low nitro content, it would only run for 10 seconds. he he he. have to go pick up some higher nitro content fuel. and yes, its mounted on my bench (the engine that is)
thanks for the advice though, is there any way to dis assemble without the wrench? (i plan on ordering it, but im between pay cheques, and im planning on doing another big order soon).

The 10% nitro is not the cause for the short run. While higher nitro content will ease starting and broaden the needle, these engines will run OK on 10% -- you won't ring the last RPM out of it, but your cause for a short run is located somewhere else.

You mentioned in an earlier post that you had 10% nitro/50% castor fuel. I must confess that I've never come across a commercial fuel with that high an oil content. Is this some that you mixed yourself or perhaps misread the label.

You also said your engine came from COX International with a throttle. Does yours have an exhaust sleeve or the rear mounted restrictor throttle that attaches to the choke tube? Either way, SuperDave's advice to flush the engine before too much running is excellent. You can remove the backplate without any special tools, just a good quality Phillips head screwdriver that fits the screws well. I usually use either acetone or denatured alcohol for internal cleaning.

1. Remove the backplate (retained by 4 screws). Once the screws are removed, the backplate can be pulled straight out. There is a gasket between the backplate and case. Take care that you don't tear this gasket in the process. Since it's a new engine, it likely won't be stuck too tightly, but if it is, I like to use a toothpick to help release the gasket, either from the backplate or case, whereever it is stuck the least.

2. The engine likely won't be at TDC, but just make sure the piston covers the exhaust slits. With the nose pointed down, fill the case about 1/3 to 1/2 full of acetone or denatured alcohol. Place your thumb over the opening in the crankcase and forefinger on the thrust plate and give it a good shaking for about a minute and pour out. Flip the engine over a few times and repeat two more times. You can use a Q-tip to wipe around on the inside to see if you have any discoloration -- if you do, clean again.

3. Any manufacturing swarf, grit or debris should now be flushed out, but so will all the protective oil. Re-oil! I use Marvel Mystery Oil, but air-tool or a good sewing machine oil will also work. Don't use WD-40. Make sure the crank pin and rod/piston joint get a shot; you can add a couple of drops to the exhaust ports and the bearing surface behind the thrust plate. Flip the engine over several times to redistribute the oil and reassemble the backplate. These were not intended to be used by gorillas and the backplate screws need not be tightened by one. There are other things that can be done, but for right now, your engine should be clean enough to run without problems.

I've found everything from discolored machining oil to chips inside.

If you're still getting short runs, there may be debris blocking the venturi or under the reed. We'll wait to see how it goes before tackling those.

andrew
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:29 pm

SuperDave wrote:
shell shock wrote:ahh, so this will be an exercise in patience i see... i need to wait 1 week from the day of ordering. actually that is quite perfect, i can finish building the plane by then.

Most everything worth doing right requires patience. Can you name an eception? Huh...

HHMMM i could but then i wouldnt be doing my jod Huh...
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:31 pm

andrew wrote:
shell shock wrote:

.........and what i ment by running for 10 seconds is due to the low nitro content, it would only run for 10 seconds. he he he. have to go pick up some higher nitro content fuel. and yes, its mounted on my bench (the engine that is)

The 10% nitro is not the cause for the short run. While higher nitro content will ease starting and broaden the needle, these engines will run OK on 10% -- you won't ring the last RPM out of it, but your cause for a short run is located somewhere else.

You mentioned in an earlier post that you had 10% nitro/50% castor fuel. I must confess that I've never come across a commercial fuel with that high an oil content. Is this some that you mixed yourself or perhaps misread the label.

You also said your engine came from COX International with a throttle. Does yours have an exhaust sleeve or the rear mounted restrictor throttle that attaches to the choke tube? Either way, SuperDave's advice to flush the engine before too much running is excellent. You can remove the backplate without any special tools, just a good quality Phillips head screwdriver that fits the screws well. I usually use either acetone or denatured alcohol for internal cleaning.

1. Remove the backplate (retained by 4 screws). Once the screws are removed, the backplate can be pulled straight out. There is a gasket between the backplate and case. Take care that you don't tear this gasket in the process. Since it's a new engine, it likely won't be stuck too tightly, but if it is, I like to use a toothpick to help release the gasket, either from the backplate or case, whereever it is stuck the least.

2. The engine likely won't be at TDC, but just make sure the piston covers the exhaust slits. With the nose pointed down, fill the case about 1/3 to 1/2 full of acetone or denatured alcohol. Place your thumb over the opening in the crankcase and forefinger on the thrust plate and give it a good shaking for about a minute and pour out. Flip the engine over a few times and repeat two more times. You can use a Q-tip to wipe around on the inside to see if you have any discoloration -- if you do, clean again.

3. Any manufacturing swarf, grit or debris should now be flushed out, but so will all the protective oil. Re-oil! I use Marvel Mystery Oil, but air-tool or a good sewing machine oil will also work. Don't use WD-40. Make sure the crank pin and rod/piston joint get a shot; you can add a couple of drops to the exhaust ports and the bearing surface behind the thrust plate. Flip the engine over several times to redistribute the oil and reassemble the backplate. These were not intended to be used by gorillas and the backplate screws need not be tightened by one. There are other things that can be done, but for right now, your engine should be clean enough to run without problems.

I've found everything from discolored machining oil to chips inside.

If you're still getting short runs, there may be debris blocking the venturi or under the reed. We'll wait to see how it goes before tackling those.

andrew

yep the highest ive seen in comercial fuel is 28% and the highest ive run in a cox engine is 33.333333%
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  shell shock Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:34 pm

Thankyou so much andrew! This js real good info!
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  shell shock Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:21 pm

well guys, picture time! like legit camera pictures! here we go!
Shell Shocks First Cox Build Img00110
proto layout
Shell Shocks First Cox Build Img00210
Dat body
Shell Shocks First Cox Build Img00310
dat body x2
Shell Shocks First Cox Build Img00410
cross beams in the wings
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:22 am

shell shock wrote:well guys, picture time! like legit camera pictures! here we go!
Shell Shocks First Cox Build Img00110
proto layout
Shell Shocks First Cox Build Img00210
Dat body
Shell Shocks First Cox Build Img00310
dat body x2
Shell Shocks First Cox Build Img00410
cross beams in the wings

Nice but you may fid that the tail is a little small.
But i cant tell.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  shell shock Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:29 am

yah i was thinking that too. though the back does not have any flaps yet. with out the dihedral, the wing span is 98cm. also, if any of you know, what is a safe limit for the standard .049 engine?
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:56 am

shell shock wrote:yah i was thinking that too. though the back does not have any flaps yet. with out the dihedral, the wing span is 98cm. also, if any of you know, what is a safe limit for the standard .049 engine?

Depends on the wing span but if i were you i would try for around the 18 oz mark.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  shell shock Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:10 am

wow, thats a pretty good haul for this small of an engine! with that in mind, as long as i get lipo double cells, my weight should not be a problem Biplane

thanks nitro
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:22 am

shell shock wrote:wow, thats a pretty good haul for this small of an engine! with that in mind, as long as i get lipo double cells, my weight should not be a problem Biplane

thanks nitro

Yeah i have used 1 cell and been fine.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  shell shock Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:26 am

ahh, see im using a dsm2 RX. i think i need min 2 cell, but i will see.
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:49 pm

shell shock wrote:ahh, see im using a dsm2 RX. i think i need min 2 cell, but i will see.

No i ran the spektrum AR61000e on a 1s lipo.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  shell shock Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:34 pm

oh cool. thanks man. helps to keep weight down.
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:07 pm

shell shock wrote:oh cool. thanks man. helps to keep weight down.

Turnigy makes a small voltage booster. Get two of their 1s 400mah lipos and connect them in parallels. Works great.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next