Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Running in a Tee Dee with 0% nitro. Wowzer, I found the right combo and it sings a beautiful song now! Cox_ba12

Running in a Tee Dee with 0% nitro. Wowzer, I found the right combo and it sings a beautiful song now! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by mike in SC Today at 7:31 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Today at 7:08 pm

» audio-tach anyone?
by roddie Today at 2:58 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 2:43 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Today at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 10:26 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Running in a Tee Dee with 0% nitro. Wowzer, I found the right combo and it sings a beautiful song now! Empty
Live on Patrol

Running in a Tee Dee with 0% nitro. Wowzer, I found the right combo and it sings a beautiful song now!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Running in a Tee Dee with 0% nitro. Wowzer, I found the right combo and it sings a beautiful song now! Empty Running in a Tee Dee .049 with 0% nitro fuel.

Post  RknRusty Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:52 pm

Actually it's not new, it's the one I used on the Stuntman23, which is retired now. Since my Tee Dee on the Li'l Satan is being very uncooperative and I decided to switch it out for this one. I took it apart to inspect and was happy to see the crank bearings look perfectly polished and there seems to be no end play. If I stick the nose of the crank in the front bearing there is no sideways wiggle room at all. I put a NIP Cox #4 cylinder and piston in it so I'm hoping it will run really well. It has a nice pinch at the top of the stroke.

I mounted it on the test stand to run-in the new cylinder. Since I'm low on fuel I thought i would run the mix I made for the MP Jet, which is just methanol and castor oil, zero nitro. I used drugstore castor instead of de-gummed racing oil so I bought some #0000 steel wool at Lowes today in case I need to de-varnish it before I fly it.

Of course it started raining so I came in all bored and started this thread. I've never broken in a Tee Dee before and I want to get it right, because this is probably the last new #4 set I'll ever have. My plan is to use a 4oz tank and I'll just run it rich and peak it briefly every minute or so. Re-fill the tank and keep doing that, holding the peaks longer and near the end of the second tank I will let it run at peak for a few minutes.

That's probably more running-in than I ever gave my Bees. Does this sound like enough to be on the safe side or do y'all think I should go for 4 more ounces of rich running before I cut it loose? Maybe some nitro in the last tank?

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Running in a Tee Dee with 0% nitro. Wowzer, I found the right combo and it sings a beautiful song now! Empty Re: Running in a Tee Dee with 0% nitro. Wowzer, I found the right combo and it sings a beautiful song now!

Post  SuperDave Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:25 pm

Rusty:

Why run MP jet fuel with methonol in an engine intended for nitro? Are they equivilant in performance?

"Curious minds would like to know." (Mine anyway) Wink
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Running in a Tee Dee with 0% nitro. Wowzer, I found the right combo and it sings a beautiful song now! Empty Re: Running in a Tee Dee with 0% nitro. Wowzer, I found the right combo and it sings a beautiful song now!

Post  RknRusty Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:01 pm

That's what all the Europeans use since nitro is almost impossible to get. FAI combat is all zero nitro. It runs fine, a little less power and harder to crank but that's about it. The MP-Jet only recommends it for break in, then you switch to nitro.

EDIT: Just to be clear, Dave, in case you didn't realize what an MP Jet is, it's a high performance Czechoslovakian made glow engine. Mine is an .061. Not a jet propulsion system.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:01 pm

I don't see a problem with it. It actually might be better without the nitro. At least for break in.

Keep in mind these thinga were meant to run out of the box with minimal to no break in. 4oz is plenty in my opinion.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:37 pm

Yeah I'm thinking it runs at a lower temp without the nitro to kick it. Less oxygen to burn.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:38 pm

Truth be told, there isn't a fuel hot enough for the TD to handle. In other words feeding a TD 50%-60% nitro isn't going to do it any harm. If your trying to make a runner, the ideal situation is to heat cycle. In the event that you go easy on the engine initially, the problem occurs when you decide to push it. The material hasn't heat cycled thoroughly enough to withstand the added heat and the piston swells causing galling. Rich Lopez in the 80's wrote an article in addition to the Lil Matador on how to successfully run your TD. On a trimmed down prop, they were shooting for a distinct rpm number which fails my memory currently. The suggestion was to let cool and do a bit of lapping just shy of the top of the landing relieving the bottom fit in the bore and running again full tilt. Always and constantly looking for a shiny piston and not a dull one which is the result of galling. They would place a bit of rottenstone into the exhaust port by dabbing it with a Q-tip and run it flat out. This certainly isn't for the novice and could do more harm then good if overdone. The point being is that running the TD on high nitro will probably due more good than bad. Running higher nitro is going to make the engine run cooler anyhow. I don't feel that running an engine on 4oz of fuel is going to mate the surfaces and especially if you ran it all at one time. Many of the fits can be successfully mated and polished prior to even running. The problem is relieving the stresses of the metals which is and only accomplished by running the engine. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:55 pm

I was gonna start a thread about this later but here goes
If you guys can get this Months RCM+E (I think it's
Called Radio Controlled Model Aeroplane in US)
The Aussie Model engine God Brian Winch spills the beans
On Nitro. It's a very interesting article with a few nuggets
That fly contrary to conventional 'wisdom'.
Rusty if you PM me your email addy I know someone
Who may scan it for you......
Santa
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:57 pm

I have flown on yellow HEET (methanol) with drug store castor oil. Works well.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:05 pm

All very interesting for those willing to push their engine's capabilities.

Why not s larger displacement engine instead?
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:26 pm

Weight, Dave. That's my final answer and I'm sticking to it.

I'm glad I came back and read this before I ran it. I already filled the tank with 0/80/20 so I'm going to run that first, but I'll be more aggressive with the RPMs. I'm using a 5" MA but maybe I'll put an APC on it to get it really spinning. No doubt it'll run plenty well enough to make my Satan scream around the sky.

I'm itching to go out and run it while the Cornish hens are roasting, so I'll see y'all after supper.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:54 pm

Bigger engines run better on low/no nitromethane fuels.
Higher compression runs better on no nitromethane fuels.

All this is relative though.

Nitromethane brings some of its own oxygen to the "party" so you can stuff more fuel into the charge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGTbQuhhluY
a top fuel dragster uses a little bit in a 1/4 mile run.

Phil

pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:09 pm

I don't have any intention of flying it with no nitro, just trying something because I'd never tried it before on a Cox. Bye the way, the TD didn't like it. It was touchy to needle and ran like a rag, all be it a steady 20,000 RPM rag, but kind of crackley sounding. It might have been foaming a little. Wednesday I'll feed it the hot stuff. I ran it mostly around peak after the first few minutes of back and forth rich and lean. It was easier to start by priming it with nitro fuel.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:29 pm

My son and I snuck out back after everyone went to bed and made another test run. Oh man, it runs super smooth and fast with the nitro fuel. The Li'l Satan is going to be very happy now.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:30 am

I really need to figure out how to get a copy of this article from a PDF onto the forum. I'm not much of a computer guru. I know the basics, maybe I could send it to someone and they would know how to post it. Dave, I don't consider it pushing the rpm's. The TD was used as a standard in combat through the 80's until the late 90's when the Shuriken came onto the scene. The Shuriken set a new high in technology but the cost factor which at the time was around $225 really allowed a limited few to use it. The more modern engines started making a appearance and the TD certainly started to become obsolete. I truly believe that the free flight guys push the engines harder than anyone. It's just that it was being done for shorter engine runs. The freeflight crew go for flatout performance. That side of the hobby also desires lightweight high powered engines. Those fellows really deserve a lot of credit for the TD and extracting the power from them. The whole idea is to run the engines in or above the max horsepower curve so that when the engine does have a load on it in the maneuvers or towing a streamer it settles into it's maximum torque curve. The TD has no problem staying together in the 24+k range. When you start heading above that is when certain parts, the crank, the crank pin start failing. I own a lot of TD's and some are strictly dedicated to my combat flying due to the fact they do turn up far greater than some others.

I had a thin wall cylinder for instance that for years was more or less an engine that ran so so. It was consistent and I just never got the power from it I thought it should have. After discovering articles like stated above and also sharing a few e-mails with Paul Gibeault, I have some real runners. Basically, it all boils down to fit. I lap many of my engines in using different polishes and grits. This process really relieves any binds and provides little resistance to the piston and bore which allows for these higher rpm's. I really wish I knew back then what I know now as I got rid of plenty of engines that probably just needed a little tweaking to make them terrific runners. Unfortunately, for those who try it also means your going to ruin pistons, cases in the process. It becomes a learning curve and practicing on parts engines is suggested. I personally found that engine break in time was really cut down and engine rpm's really increased due to better fits. These fits however didn't necessarily mean that the engine had tons of compression as I was in search of a slight pinch at top dead center.

Please don't get the impression that I like to ruin engines by just running them until things blow. I'm not going to say that hasn't happened. I have and this has been the situation using TD's on 1/2A speed stuff. Combat and speed pretty much requires all that the engine is going to give. I certainly don't have an endless supply of parts but I do keep the things that break on hand.

I've seen some discussions on this forum in regards to some that have an engine that runs well but others that don't seem to turn the same rpm's. I'm very curious to this at times with my own engines and I want all of them to be on the same level or close so I'm always striving for those performance numbers. In the past, the majority would always suggest that running high nitro is going to shorten the life of your engines. So it was taboo and this always made myself stay away from those fuels. Well I have ventured into that area and to my surprise discovered how reliable and cooler the engines run. The main problem is cost, high nitro fuels are expensive and so are plugs but using it in 1/2A makes things much easier on the wallet. Once I achieve the proper deck height on the plugs as I like the 1702, I find them to be quite durable. Taking out a plug a flight however can be quite frustrating and I've had some expensive days. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:19 am

One thing you may want to make sure is that the engine does not "lean out" after a few minutes of run the way I experienced with several 049, and 051 Tee Dees. It took me some time and cost me a few cylinder and piston combos to realize the needle valve in most large Tee Dees (maybe except for the 010) is not air-tight and allows air to ingress along the threads of the needle, resulting in lean fulel mix - unfortunately in a mid-air flight only when with no R/C intervention possible you need to wait until the tank has run dry and you land the plane only to realize it has exhausted that grey castor all over the plane, meaning excessive engine wear.

The way I solved the issue was I pulled a silicone tube over the threaded stub of the needle valve body where the needle enters the body and make sure a part of the tube overlaps some of the threads on the needle thus sealing the needle stem.

The rsult is a stable engine run and no lean-out that can kill the engine pretty fast.

Hope to have contributed with something useful.

RknRusty wrote:Actually it's not new, it's the one I used on the Stuntman23, which is retired now. Since my Tee Dee on the Li'l Satan is being very uncooperative and I decided to switch it out for this one. I took it apart to inspect and was happy to see the crank bearings look perfectly polished and there seems to be no end play. If I stick the nose of the crank in the front bearing there is no sideways wiggle room at all. I put a NIP Cox #4 cylinder and piston in it so I'm hoping it will run really well. It has a nice pinch at the top of the stroke.

I mounted it on the test stand to run-in the new cylinder. Since I'm low on fuel I thought i would run the mix I made for the MP Jet, which is just methanol and castor oil, zero nitro. I used drugstore castor instead of de-gummed racing oil so I bought some #0000 steel wool at Lowes today in case I need to de-varnish it before I fly it.

Of course it started raining so I came in all bored and started this thread. I've never broken in a Tee Dee before and I want to get it right, because this is probably the last new #4 set I'll ever have. My plan is to use a 4oz tank and I'll just run it rich and peak it briefly every minute or so. Re-fill the tank and keep doing that, holding the peaks longer and near the end of the second tank I will let it run at peak for a few minutes.

That's probably more running-in than I ever gave my Bees. Does this sound like enough to be on the safe side or do y'all think I should go for 4 more ounces of rich running before I cut it loose? Maybe some nitro in the last tank?
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:48 am

You guys make this place great, thanks. And Merry Christmas!

None of my TDs do much over 21k on the ground with a 5" prop, and I'm hoping that's just because I'm only using castor-diluted Glowplugboy, formerly 24%, now about 21%. But they run very smooth and steady. My opinion of that fuel is that it runs smoother than any of the other highly regarded fuels. Being a speed freak at heart I'm always disappointed at the 20-21k production of my engines. But one of the RCG guys told me my Streak was sounding a "D" on the pitch pipe so that's in the 22-23k range in the air.

I'm going to try the Sig 35% again. Latt time I had Sig 25 and 35 my glow plugs were turning frosty white and not working well or at all, so I quit it. Besides I hated the stinky slime of the synthetic lube. But I'm going to give it another go.

I have not used a tube to seal my KK needles thinking they weren't leaking, but i'm going to go ahead and do it just to be safe. I have never had an erratic run with my .051 on the Streak but I have with the one on the Stuntman, so it's worth a try.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:37 am

Rusty, I didn't offer a prop suggestion as I use many and I try and utilize the rpm's to the plane. I generally use no props larger than a 5" on my TD's. I also rarely use a 4 pitch prop, however, I found the APC 4.2 x 4 to work quite well. I also found the 4.5 x 3.5 to work well. It all comes down to experimentation and documenting. One of our senior speed flyers, has a audible tachometer which can tell you the engine rpm's in the air just by pointing it at the plane while it's flying. This is the coolest thing I ever seen. I'm sure tools like this also carry a high price tag. Bob the gentleman I'm mentioning has been involved in speed for almost 60 years now. He keeps detailed records of the changes and the engine increases and decreases. Bob also has shown me how to fine tune certain props using a pitch gauge. Another factor is venturi size, so all this tuning in addition to shimming ultimately has an affect on rpm numbers. I realized that closing down the space for the SPI on my TD really improved rpm numbers. I would've thought just the opposite. All of the above really needs to be recorded to understand what is happening. It does for me get boring at times and changing things one thing at a time is truly necessary. I found that the Kustom Kraftmanship shims that go under the cylinder really has helped my TD's come to life. I also had a few lightened, and balanced cranks for the TD which also benefits in rpm's. Trying different heads like the Nelson Galbreath combo which I see your already using also benefits rpm's.

Seeing that you and I are running bladder, you should try keeping a variety of venturi's drilled out for experimentation. I paint mine different colors so that I know what sizes I'm using. Ken

Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:10 am

So much stuff to tinker with. I'd love to have an audible pitch meter. I think I'll Google that. Also it's interesting what you said about shimming the cylinder base. I definitely will add that to my list. I won't start seriously messing with piston fit, other than just matching parts by feel. The reason being that I'm just a sport flyer and wouldn't really benefit compared with time and parts spent. i think I will get a couple more of Doug's heads while they're still available. I'd like to do a comparison of them with Bernie's drop-ins. I wish he sold cold plugs instead of med-hot. I don't see anything like those on the Merlin site, so I don't know what they are. His new assistant wasn't keen on answering questions about them via e-mail.

Do you think my 20-21k ground speed numbers are about right for my relatively tame fuel? After flying a Norvel, I'd like to see my engines hold the RPM better in the loops, so I may try the Sig 35 again. That might help the torque. I should try more experiments with props, but I've been rather lazy in that area. I am anal about balance but I'll try more things when flying days come more often in the late Spring. When I can only go out once or twice a month I tend to just go fly and enjoy it in the short time I have. I've also bored my venturis all the same, so that's something else I can add to my trials. There's a big difference between my three KK NVAs in the number of turns, and it stays the same across different engines. It could be just differences in the shape of needles themselves. I haven't tried swapping them yet. They all eyeball the same under the magnifying lamp.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:06 am

If the goal is competitive flying I'd like to offer this which some might consider irrelvant. Think about it before passing judgement.

In days long past I was involved in compeitive auto racing at the Bremerton International Airport, WA.

One of the most popuplar events as a VW Bug road race course and each participant was to provide a stock VW Bug for the competative event. BUT cars were assigned to drivers by a random drawing so each entrant had but a small chance of drawing their own car.

Entrants were thus discouraged from "tweaking" their own cars to gain competative advantage. As the cars raced, the competition pitted equal cars and became a test of driving skill rather than modification advantage. Very few cars were damaged in this event.

Visualize this in competitive flying.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:01 pm

I do like to fly on a competitive level, but I truly enjoy sport flying. I don't subscribe to the I have to win theory. I like just being present. If I finish dead last, I want to know why the guy who won, finished first. I don't feel that in any way I'm changing things as I'm not altering crank timing and porting, I'm just relieving the fit at the bottom end slightly to allow the engine to be free. I feel there's always a scientific approach to all of this. My fellow flyer Dan who's well known in the stunt circles at the Nats, is also well known in control line in general. He owns so many interesting and unobtainable engines and models in control line. He doesn't consider himself a collector and uses everything he owns. This includes about a dozen post war all aluminum models with period engines which he flies daily. Dan has a knack for running TD's and always has mine beat. He just owns some of the best runners I've ever witnessed.

In addition, I don't consider the TD to be a museum piece. It is and will always be to me an inexpensive engine. The TD though is a viable powerplant that does produce good power and is extremely light. I've taken many of them and removed the original TD cylinder and used Sure Starts from Bernie and also the cylinders which have the pistons lightened. The original TD cylinders and pistons are just becoming increasingly difficult to locate. I've run the Sure Starts extremely hard with no adverse affect. Afterall, the price of the cylinders are priced for experimentation. Initially, the ball socket was loose even prior to run in, but after 2 resets, all has been good. I've seen some impressive results and I certainly would like to try one with the exhaust slots removed to see if I even see higher rpm results. I've never been a fan of the steel crank running in a unbushed case. I just rebushed one of my Stels engines this past weekend that had worn out extremely bad. I was thinking of putting a bushing in one of my TD cases that has seen some time. When I hold the prop and wiggle it, I can see the piston moving up and down slightly with the crank. I know that this has to have a negative affect on rpm numbers as well. Ken

Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ahrma_581 Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:17 am

Ken Cook wrote:I realized that closing down the space for the SPI on my TD really improved rpm numbers. I would've thought just the opposite. ... I found that the Kustom Kraftmanship shims that go under the cylinder really has helped my TD's come to life.

When you shim the cylinder base, you're also raising the exhaust and transfers, which you would expect to do for higher rpm. Of course, with shims it isn't much, but then these are pretty small engines.

If you can find a copy, (the late) Gordon Jennings' two stroke tuners handbook has a bunch of useful theoretical and heuristic (go look it up; it's a good word to know) information on two strokes. Motorcycle oriented, so the values and rules of thumb, for things like expansion chambers, are off for model airplanes, but still lots of info on things like measuring port time/areas, resonant chambers, primary compression ratios, etc.
ahrma_581
ahrma_581
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:26 am

ahrma:

Is there a coorelation between reliability and performance?
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  ahrma_581 Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:29 am

SuperDave wrote:One of the most popuplar events as a VW Bug road race course and each participant was to provide a stock VW Bug for the competative event. BUT cars were assigned to drivers by a random drawing so each entrant had but a small chance of drawing their own car.

Entrants were thus discouraged from "tweaking" their own cars to gain competative advantage. As the cars raced, the competition pitted equal cars and became a test of driving skill rather than modification advantage.

If you think about it, what you'd want to do is exactly the opposite of 'tweaking' your car, since the odds are a competitor would wind up with your dog slow ringer.

Of course that isn't me talking, it's Smokey Yunick. Very Happy
ahrma_581
ahrma_581
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ahrma_581 Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:35 am

SuperDave wrote:ahrma:

Is there a coorelation between reliability and performance?

In the greater scheme of things, yes, but it only matters when you are already close to the ragged edge.

From Ken's observations, it sounds like a stock TD is pretty far from that edge.
ahrma_581
ahrma_581
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:36 am

ahrma_581 wrote:...If you think about it, what you'd want to do is exactly the opposite of 'tweaking' your car, since the odds are a competitor would wind up with your dog slow ringer.

Of course that isn't me talking, it's Smokey Yunick. Very Happy
Funny, yesterday I was telling my son about something I remember Smokey Yunick wrote about future technology in automobile engine efficiency being ceramics. I hadn't thought of him in years. At the time of the article, I thought... ceramics... in an engine? Actually I think that's what Norvel's Revlite cylinder is. "Ceramic" can be a sort of catch-all term.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next