Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Just finished flying my .35 sized Ringmaster!!!!!!! Cox_ba12

Just finished flying my .35 sized Ringmaster!!!!!!! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 6:07 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Today at 8:05 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by MauricioB Today at 7:39 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:52 am

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Yesterday at 7:42 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 5:13 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 2:51 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 2:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Yesterday at 2:03 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Yesterday at 2:01 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Just finished flying my .35 sized Ringmaster!!!!!!! Empty
Live on Patrol

Just finished flying my .35 sized Ringmaster!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Just finished flying my .35 sized Ringmaster!!!!!!! Empty Just finished flying my .35 sized Ringmaster!!!!!!!

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:10 pm

Need to eat and stop shaking, writeup coming soon!!!

Ron

Just finished flying my .35 sized Ringmaster!!!!!!! BvtlUWs
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Just finished flying my .35 sized Ringmaster!!!!!!! Empty Re: Just finished flying my .35 sized Ringmaster!!!!!!!

Post  RknRusty Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:48 pm

Beautiful oil slick! Awaiting the report.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Just finished flying my .35 sized Ringmaster!!!!!!! Empty Re: Just finished flying my .35 sized Ringmaster!!!!!!!

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:58 pm

Ok,

I am here in Kansas, drove up this afternoon from OKC. I brought my Ringmaster on the slim chance that I might actually get to fly the thing. I showed up to the circle with 20mph winds and 54 degree temps. My contact was waiting on me and looked over my Ringmaster and said "looks good" So we went to test out his Shoestring he flew a few laps and said the wind was OK and he called me to run across the circle and put me on the lines. Keep in mind he doesn't know me from Adam. I flew his Shoestring for several laps and plunked it down when it shut off. The .35 sized planes love to glide. Concrete is nice to land on!

I had no lines and no fuel for my Ringmaster. So Mike loaned me both and away I went with my Ring. It flew well, first 1/2 tank I did level laps and the following with full tanks I managed to brave through some loops and a few lame wingovers.

The plane pulled hard, but what a great feel, I loved it!!!!! Too windy for my 1/2A stuff, but the Ringmaster flew like a champ! I had a really good time and met some more really good guys. I also got the chance to start a Fox .35, so much more pull than an .049 LOL. I am still on cloud 9 so I am sure I forgot something,but wooooooooo!!! I had fun. Fantastic day and a great maiden.

Ron

The big planes are great Rusty!!! You will love it!

Last edited by cribbs74 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:08 am; edited 3 times in total
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:06 pm

Some pics, last one is the circle as we left.

Ron

Just finished flying my .35 sized Ringmaster!!!!!!! LBaejIf

Just finished flying my .35 sized Ringmaster!!!!!!! O6krSip

Just finished flying my .35 sized Ringmaster!!!!!!! BOEXhKB

Last edited by cribbs74 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:07 pm

Tell us how wide the lines were at the handle, Ron. Like I posted in my SS thread, my handle has two choices, 3-5/8" and 1-7/8". The latter seems too narrow to me.

So, did you get a 4-2-4 running? Did your wingovers with a tailwind? Does it snap off a 90deg pullout, or did you ease it out of the wingovers? Big round loops or 1/2A style panic loops? How was your landing? C'mon boy, out with the story!

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:18 pm

RknRusty wrote:Tell us how wide the lines were at the handle, Ron. Like I posted in my SS thread, my handle has two choices, 3-5/8" and 1-7/8". The latter seems too narrow to me.

So, did you get a 4-2-4 running? Did your wingovers with a tailwind? Does it snap off a 90deg pullout, or did you ease it out of the wingovers? Big round loops or 1/2A style panic loops? How was your landing? C'mon boy, out with the story!

Sorry, I knew there was more to tell. 4" spacing. "Hot Rock" handle. I flew all manouvers with the wind at my back. The Ring was nose heavy as I wanted to be safe. The pullouts were slow not snappy at all. Hence the "lame"

Big round loops Rusty. Came in real close one time. The crowd said "ohhhhh" when I did it. I did all the rest real high as that scared the crap out of me. I was on 60' lines and it is amazing how much more space you have. I was running a nice 4-2-4 I didn't set it up though Mike did. I will get a chance to do it here real soon. I had a 1952 Fox .35 on it for the maiden and it ran like a champ the whole time with nary a hiccup. I have a newer Fox .35 from Ken I will try next. Prop was a 10x6.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:26 pm

When I checked my lines and handle out, I clipped the ends to a chain link fence and unrolled them. When I hooked up the handle and looked down the lines, I was amazed at how far away the other end was.

You do know to begin your wingovers on the windward side of the circle, right... so you have a tail wind pushing you over the top and the wind at your back for the pullout.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:28 pm

RknRusty wrote:When I checked my lines and handle out, I clipped the ends to a chain link fence and unrolled them. When I hooked up the handle and looked down the lines, I was amazed at how far away the other end was.

You do know to begin your wingovers on the windward side of the circle, right... so you have a tail wind pushing you over the top and the wind at your back for the pullout.

No, I did not know that. No wonder......
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:30 pm

Looking at your pic. Your feed line is on thew bottom. I wonder if my new tank is that way. Do you have a vibration cushion behind the tank against the fuse?

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Godsey3.0 Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:35 pm

The large stuff is so much fun! Nothing like the sound of a Fox burning through its first prime. That nice echo through the trees....

Returnin' Rolla
Godsey3.0
Godsey3.0
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:41 pm

Congrats Ron, I hope all is going well. Certainly a memorable experience and it's days like this that make it worthwhile. I'm certain that was loud. I assume you topped off the tank. I still remember flying my Yak-9 . Hats off to you Hand Shake Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:44 pm

Godsey3.0 wrote:The large stuff is so much fun! Nothing like the sound of a Fox burning through its first prime. That nice echo through the trees....

Returnin' Rolla
He's returned! I was speaking of you in a thread about Lil Bats the other day.
My engine is loud as hell and it's too nose heavy to use the muffler, so I'll be shaking some leaves too. I guess I'll point my uniflo pressure vent into the wind. I may solder a wide bored Tee Dee venturi on the tube for an air scoop.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Godsey3.0 Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:58 pm

There is a little part that is commonly used on boats. It looks like a lot funnel with a flat side to allow it to be mounted. It is used to gather water to force it through the cooling system in the engine. I find they also work when mounted on plane and attached to the pressure line. It can be moved just about anywhere it can be screwed in. I am not sure if any company still makes them. All of the ones I have are Old Stock. Lots of them get used on air boats. I will try and dig up a picture.

Returnin' Rolla
Godsey3.0
Godsey3.0
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:01 pm

Rusty, you may just find that too much air could enter your uniflow pipe. I keep pieces of 3/32" tubing to slip inside the 1/8" to neck it down. When I don't have the small tubing I will use a 1/2" long piece of small fuel tubing slipped onto the end of the uniflow to achieve the same purpose. The pipe is quite sensitive. This is why you sometimes need to move it over to the clean side of the fuse due to turbulent air over the cylinder head. This is quite problematic when using Chicken Hoppers due to the uniflow being directly behind the cylinder head on profile models. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:09 pm

Ken Cook wrote: Congrats Ron, I hope all is going well. Certainly a memorable experience and it's days like this that make it worthwhile. I'm certain that was loud. I assume you topped off the tank. I still remember flying my Yak-9 . Hats off to you Hand Shake Ken

You know Ken, I don't even remember if it was loud or not lol, I Imagine with yours on the next flight I will be able to tell the difference. I didn't top off the tank at first, but did on subsequent flights. Thank you kindly Ken, without your help and support this project never would have lifted off, let alone held together. Your a real gem Ken!

Ron

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:27 pm

Ken Cook wrote: Rusty, you may just find that too much air could enter your uniflow pipe. I keep pieces of 3/32" tubing to slip inside the 1/8" to neck it down. When I don't have the small tubing I will use a 1/2" long piece of small fuel tubing slipped onto the end of the uniflow to achieve the same purpose. The pipe is quite sensitive. This is why you sometimes need to move it over to the clean side of the fuse due to turbulent air over the cylinder head. This is quite problematic when using Chicken Hoppers due to the uniflow being directly behind the cylinder head on profile models. Ken
Ah, okay then, maybe I'll start small and work up. But for the maiden, I will keep it all simple. I wouldn't have even ordered the uniflow tonight if that old tank I resurrected wasn't such a junker, with me having to plug those holes, and now hearing that solder bead rattling inside of it. I know I can open it up again, but I'd rather just get a new one for now. I know you like to open new ones up too, and I will if it shows any signs of trouble. Getting the feel for the plane is at the top of the list now though.

BTW, thanks for teaching me how to sew hinges, I did some nice ones on the SS.
And that goes for all the other things you've showed and explained to us, even when we ask the same question more than once... like uniflow setups, trimming, balancing, running engines... etc.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:22 am

RknRusty wrote:Looking at your pic. Your feed line is on thew bottom. I wonder if my new tank is that way. Do you have a vibration cushion behind the tank against the fuse?

I didn't see this earlier. No, I did not have a cushion. Chalk that up to another thing Ken told me I needed to do but didn't. It ran fine though. I rubber mounted the Fox as Ken told me they were shakers. I had some thin goodyear rubber sheet that I cut small doughnuts out of. It probably held the vibes down and kept the fuel from foaming.

Ron

Just finished flying my .35 sized Ringmaster!!!!!!! POCu3Av
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:55 am

Ron, I was suggesting to place rubber or foam under the tank as the engine sometimes shakes a bit. I never mounted a engine on rubber although the thought has crossed my mind. It can also be a good idea to cant the rear of the tank out slightly. I kick the rear of the tank away from the fuse approximately 1/8"- 1/4". This keeps the fuel at the rear of the tank throughout the flight all the way to the end. The problem with the rubber under the lugs, is that it may just make vibrations even worse. It may not be allowing the engine to be tightly snugged against the bearers. In fact, I saw a lot of black oil on your Monokote in the picture. This will cause that. The engine should be directly mounted to the bearers . You could place pads under the engine lugs such as aluminum or phenolic but I wouldn't leave the rubber under the engine. Those vibrations can and will saw through the bolts and your engine case.

As an additional side note, I would clip the knob off of that needle and bend it down into a J just like the one I provided. If not, order another one. One flip over and the needle valve is gone. They will break right where it enters the spraybar. You can sometimes continue to run the engine like that if it happens during a flying session but it will have to be removed by turning it out with a #11 blade. Fox needles are not the highest quality setups but they do work with a little finesse. It really is a must to have fuel tubing over the threads from the flange on the needle down to the spraybar. Having additional needles are a must to have on hand. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:25 am

cribbs74 wrote:Ok,

My contact was waiting on me

Sounds a bit 'Our man in Havana'ish Ron
Very Happy

Don't forget the 7 seven steps to enlightenment.....!
The first mantra,-
I promise I will never ever enjoy R/C
I promise I will never enjoy R/C
Promise I will never enjoy R/C
I will never enjoy R/C
I never enjoy R/C
I enjoy R/C
I R/C
R/C R/C R/C

Ok so that was eight
lol!
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:02 am

Seriously tho Ron all looking Good.
In my experience black exhaust residue is
Caused by lean running oil is burning as it
Exits engine or..... more likely Water in the fuel.
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:10 am

True Enlightenment: It's ALL Good !!!!

Congrats on the great flight Ron! 20 mph winds...thou art a braver man than I !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:06 am

Sounds like I really want to use the remote needle valve kit I purchased with my engine if the needles are prone to breaking.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:55 am

John Goddard wrote:Seriously tho Ron all looking Good.
In my experience black exhaust residue is
Caused by lean running oil is burning as it
Exits engine or..... more likely Water in the fuel.
I had bolts loosen on a test stand with my Thunder Tiger and cause black slime from the threads being eaten alive by vibrations. I thought I had damaged my engine, but it was just the bolts. Ron, I've been warned elsewhere to never use rubber to cushion an engine. Rigid against the plane is the way to run.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:52 am

Au contraire.
http://www.centralhobbies.com/Engines/mounts/hydmnts.html
The best engine mounts bar none look where they're made too.

Wink
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:41 pm

Okay, well I guess it's up for debate then.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next