Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Help me get my foot in the door! (wanted) Cox_ba12

Help me get my foot in the door! (wanted) Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» audio-tach anyone?
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Yesterday at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:43 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Yesterday at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Sat May 18, 2024 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Help me get my foot in the door! (wanted) Empty
Live on Patrol

Help me get my foot in the door! (wanted)

Go down

Help me get my foot in the door! (wanted) Empty Help me get my foot in the door! (wanted)

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:15 pm

I am probably one of many,but I am looking for a .010, Years ago I saw these all over the place at hobby shops, but nowadays they seem to be rare and much more expensive. I was wanting to do some R/C and maybe FF with my son and I was interested in these engines. I am not greedy however and I would be more than satisfied with some good used parts that would allow me to build one up and maintain it. I see no cylinders,pistons, cranks or crankshafts at the auction sites. I just want an engine so I can spend some time with the lad. I do not need nor can I afford a NIB 100 dollar collectors engine, they have plenty of those on ebay. Just nothing in between.....or less. Can anyone help? Thanks either way.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Help me get my foot in the door! (wanted) Empty Re: Help me get my foot in the door! (wanted)

Post  shell shock Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:34 pm

Though not a .010, if you want, i have a spare .049?
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Help me get my foot in the door! (wanted) Empty Re: Help me get my foot in the door! (wanted)

Post  nitroairplane Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:45 pm

Check on uk eBay just yesterday two good hold and red ones went for £48 for the pair.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:00 pm

Ron;

If price is a major consideration I suggest starting with a common reed valve Cox .049 than the much more exotic front rotary valve Cox TD .010.

Look for: Baby Bee's, Sure-Starts and the other "garden variety" low-buck Coxes. I've often seen these available at swap meets, antique stores, yard sales etc. for $20 or less.

Even with common Coxes expect to pay for quality rather than find a "hot deal". Yes, it is possible to find both if you are willing to look long enough. How much patience do you have?
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:33 pm

Thanksfor the replies everyone, I appreciate the offer for the .049. I currently have a tee dee .049 and brand new never run .051 as well as a .049 baby bee. I have a .020 as well. I do have patience. Just putting a feeler out there to see if anything is available on a budget. Again I appreciate the replies and the offer! Guess I had better get crafty or lucky.....or rich.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Al Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:29 am

cribbs74 wrote:I am probably one of many,but I am looking for a .010, Years ago I saw these all over the place at hobby shops, but nowadays they seem to be rare and much more expensive. I was wanting to do some R/C and maybe FF with my son and I was interested in these engines. I am not greedy however and I would be more than satisfied with some good used parts that would allow me to build one up and maintain it. I see no cylinders,pistons, cranks or crankshafts at the auction sites. I just want an engine so I can spend some time with the lad. I do not need nor can I afford a NIB 100 dollar collectors engine, they have plenty of those on ebay. Just nothing in between.....or less. Can anyone help? Thanks either way.

Ron
Ron, as you have observed Cox .010 parts are virtually nonexistent. Even if you could find enough to build a complete engine the cost would be exorbitant.
On the other hand, I would take a chance on a used engine that is offered without box, papers, and maybe a bad description/photo that would discourage collectors and might go for a more reasonable price.
I base this on the fact that one of my strongest running .010’s is one that I bought used 35 years ago. I've never been able to wear one out (90 sec at a time). Just a thought.
Al
Big Al
Big Al
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:56 am

I realize that .049 engines are much more plentiful, but what are the production numbers for the .010? On Ebay right now there are probably 8 of them NIB and that seems to be average for any given day I have looked over the past month. My point is if there are that many still available new then why are they so expensive. Is the demand that high? Is this a collectors driven market? Excuse my ignorance here guys, last time I was messing with these great engines they were affordable and plentiful so I am trying to figure out what happened.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:20 am

Ron:

The market for Cox .010 is DEMAND driven and the DEMAND for .010 is especially great at this time when hobbyist are given to going smaller rather than larger. Further, EP has eclipsed the demand for nitro power.

The "old days" have faded into a new era. As an example, at one time Aero-glass fuel-proof dope once dominated the markert and prices were relatively low. No longer.
try finding colored butyrare dope, other than clear, on the market today,

Coverings like modern synthetics such as Mono-coat (and kindred types) have become the new standard in model finishing.

Yes, much has changed, and these are some of the changes that are simply evidence of that fact. I wish it would be diffent but it isn't.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:39 am

If searching for "Baby Bee" be sure to also search for "Babe Bee" which is the actual Cox name for it.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:17 pm

I stand corrected. Thanks, Rusty.

(No wonder my platinum star appears tarnished) Sad
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:31 pm

Ron:

I remember the days when a $5/day ski lift ticket was considered outrageously expensive and when you could play 18 holes of golf for $2. Huh...

Look at those costs today and smile in fond rememberance at what used to be. What?
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:00 pm

SuperDave wrote:Ron:

I remember the days when a $5/day ski lift ticket was considered outrageously expensive and when you could play 18 holes of golf for $2. Huh...

Look at those costs today and smile in fond rememberance at what used to be. What?

When I started skiing it was $15 for all lifts, all day and night session as well. when I got out it was $45, just for the day session and limited lifts. I waxed and tuned ALOT of skis on the side for my ski bum money. Now I would have to wax and tune all month and never get enought saved just to turn the key to get up there.

My Toyota Tacoma brand new in 99 was $40 to fill the tank,,now it's $55.

2 reasons why I don't ski anymore.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:20 am

PV Pilot wrote:
SuperDave wrote:Ron:

When I started skiing it was $15 for all lifts, all day and night session as well. when I got out it was $45, just for the day session and limited lifts. I waxed and tuned ALOT of skis on the side for my ski bum money. Now I would have to wax and tune all month and never get enought saved just to turn the key to get up there.

My Toyota Tacoma brand new in 99 was $40 to fill the tank,,now it's $55.

2 reasons why I don't ski anymore.

If I remember rightly the tee dee .010 retailed for 6.95 back in the day now It is common to pay over 120 for a new one even more sometimes if it's the older version.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:13 am

Well guys,

I went ahead and bought one for $85 on a buy it now or best offer. It's a red bodied version, but it has a chip in the corner of the tank. Looks to be functional, but if not there are tanks available still. Anyway just thought I would share hope I did ok, I guess time will tell. I now have tee dee .049 and a .051. Babe bee, black widow, production .049 from an old PT-19. Pee wee and now a .010 tee dee. I hope that is enough to get the bug out of my system! I like to use my engines so let's just hope the part supply doesn't dry up. Thanks all for the help and advice.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:27 am

Well i and was going to buy it tomorrow Smile
But yes it is a fair deal buy I noticed the prop screw is not original and it does not include a spring starter. I would not worry about the tank though.
Hope you have fun with it,
Indra
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:17 pm

Nitro,

Sorry about that, of course I had no idea anyone on here was bidding. I did notice the screw was black, but I figured I could find one easy. The starter spring I missed entirely. I was bidding on that Co2 conversion .010 but since I couldn't stay awake until 1 am when the auction closed I ended up being outbid by a dollar. So I kind of did an impulse buy out of frustration. So much for patience! No matter though because I only paid 85 for this one and I will probably only spend 20 bucks to make it right. The other one would have cost much more to fix. Anyway it's on it's way tomorrow, of course I will be out of town for work when it arrives......

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:39 pm

No worries Ron,
It's fine I am sure that you will only have to spend $10 to make her all original.
Have great fun with our great little engine,
Indra
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down