Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

twin bee on ebay...can't figure this one out Cox_ba12

twin bee on ebay...can't figure this one out Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 3:05 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by roddie Today at 1:48 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 11:25 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 8:05 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by MauricioB Yesterday at 7:39 am

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Fri May 10, 2024 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Fri May 10, 2024 9:02 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Fri May 10, 2024 7:42 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Fri May 10, 2024 5:13 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Fri May 10, 2024 2:51 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Fri May 10, 2024 2:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Fri May 10, 2024 2:03 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

twin bee on ebay...can't figure this one out Empty
Live on Patrol

twin bee on ebay...can't figure this one out

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

twin bee on ebay...can't figure this one out Empty twin bee on ebay...can't figure this one out

Post  pkrankow Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:30 am

This is a beautifully machined twin bee, opposing cylinders. First thought is, of course, junk put together with JBweld, non-running, etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COX-BABE-BEE-TWIN-098-CONTROL-LINEFREE-FLIGHT-MODEL-AIRPLANE-ENGINE-NEW-/121094712859

The seller states the pistons open and close together so the reed will work. This implies a custom crankshaft. Similarly the notable offset in the piston positions implies there is space for a custom crankshaft.

But it looks like a stock thin neck case that was machined, so there is very little space where the second cylinder was fitted, slightly forward of the first.

My bet is someone is gonna go $100 on it.

I am puzzled and curious on this one though.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

twin bee on ebay...can't figure this one out Empty Re: twin bee on ebay...can't figure this one out

Post  aungmyatoo Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:49 am

Abit risky to buy these twins on ebay!
aungmyatoo
aungmyatoo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

twin bee on ebay...can't figure this one out Empty Re: twin bee on ebay...can't figure this one out

Post  pkrankow Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:39 am

aungmyatoo wrote:Abit risky to buy these twins on ebay!

I agree with you on that. I am not bidding on this one.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:06 am

Well............. The seller DOES have a 100% approval rating.

As for me, I'm curious but not interested.

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:10 am

I find this one a little unusual.

Without seeing the inside and the crankshaft (or its components), I find it difficult to comment as I have witnessed many ingenious miniature (and I mean miniature!) engine contructions.

However, I have looked at the pictures and the crankcase body looks longer than usual - maybe it is my eyesight!
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:18 am

I agree with Ian.

The crankcase body is made of longer than usual extruded aluminum suggesting yet another experimental engine from Cox.

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  stevej Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:53 pm

Last edited by stevej on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
stevej
stevej
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ahrma_581 Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:02 pm

SuperDave wrote:I agree with Ian.

The crankcase body is made of longer than usual extruded aluminum suggesting yet another experimental engine from Cox.

SD

From the head on view, it does look like it was made from a standard crankcase extrusion. Imagine those came in as 10 - 15 foot bars, so it wouldn't be difficult for someone with access to the raw material to cut off a bit longer chunk.

However, has anyone read/heard any story/rumor/whiff of a rumor of Cox prototyping an opposed twin? It may be this wasn't so much an official experimental engine as a back door/tool room special done by someone in their spare time.
ahrma_581
ahrma_581
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:17 pm

The only twins I will buy are the geared ones.

Something looks funky with it on the added cylinder. No way a standard crank was used as the crank pin is not long enough. Seller states both pistons move in and out at the same time. The only way for that to happen is if another crank jornal was added at 180 degrees off the other one.

Shelf queen at best and looks like it might get spendy with 6 days left.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:23 pm

That is a cool peewee.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:28 pm

I asked them to take a pic with the tank off.... as it would help their sale as well as out curiosity...
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/wingingit74/

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:01 pm

Jason_WI wrote:...Seller states both pistons move in and out at the same time. The only way for that to happen is if another crank journal was added at 180 degrees off the other one...
You're right Jason, that's the only way it could possibly make draw and inject fuel. It could work if the venturi size isn't a bottleneck.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:15 pm

SD

I think its safe to say it's definitely experimental, but definitely not Cox. Wink
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:

SD

I think its safe to say it's definitely experimental, but definitely not Cox. Wink

Ok, after looking at case a second time I agree, it is definitely longer. However I've never heard of Cox ever playing with twin cylinders. Hopefully Mud will comment. I do believe that particular size of extrusion the case is made out of was available.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:18 am

It broke $100 overnight.
Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:44 am

I looked at the inside of the crankcase when I cleaned the engine. Removing the tank shows a black disc with one rod connected on each side. I will not disassemble the engine further. You cannot see the crankshaft.

I would still like to see a pic though Sad
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/wingingit74/

Back to top Go down

Post  aungmyatoo Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:16 am

I am not buying it!
aungmyatoo
aungmyatoo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  kevbo Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:36 am

[quote="ahrma_581"]
SuperDave wrote:
From the head on view, it does look like it was made from a standard crankcase extrusion. Imagine those came in as 10 - 15 foot bars, so it wouldn't be difficult for someone with access to the raw material to cut off a bit longer chunk.
The second photo from the left seems to show the front cylinder on the wrong side, but comparing this with the front view, the other cylinder seems on the wrong side. (compare needle valve positions) It would seem like if you were doing this from bar stock, you might profile the non-cylinder sides to save a little weight, but it would be a real hassle to do this in front of and behind the cylinders.

Perhaps two cases were cut diagonally, tig welded together, then polished up to hide the seam. I have some aluminum brazing rod (no not the the nasty 3-in-1 stuff) that might be able to do this as well.

The spacers under the cylinders are interesting. I wonder if perhaps custom rods with demountable big-ends were used so that a one-piece crank could be used. That might require a little higher deck height than the stock extrusion. Maybe this was just done so that stock extrusion could be used, as a saddle would be needed for the wrong-side cylinder to mate to, so might as well put a spacer on the other one to make it look like it belongs that way.

On Edit: Zoom is my friend. The photos on the listing are fairly high res, and by zooming in on this one:
twin bee on ebay...can't figure this one out %24T2eC16J%2C%21%290E9s37F%2CT%28BR%2CbYFzD6%21~~60_57-X3

I can just make out the lines where two cases were cut in a Z shape (a z with right angles) and mated. See the faint horizontal line just behind the front cylinder, and just ahead of the rear cyclinder, and the heavy scratch down the middle of the case, that stops clear of the two horizontal lines. VERY clean workmanship from the look of it.
kevbo
kevbo
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:08 pm

Yep, I can see it now that you point it out.

For those who can't see the whole image on your monitor, right click on the picture and select "View Image" them click it again to enlarge.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:30 pm

Holy cow. it topped $260 and it isn't over yet!

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Godsey3.0 Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:10 pm

twin bee on ebay...can't figure this one out T2ec1610

Is this possibly where they two were attached? I can quite clearly see a zig zag line. I put in arrows where it gets more obvious. Hope I am not crazy.
Godsey3.0
Godsey3.0
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:32 pm

I think the way that it was put together was cutting it from one corner to the other kinda like in this picture
twin bee on ebay...can't figure this one out WnTjHJol
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:27 pm

I think Rolla is right.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:03 pm

The step cut would be easier than a diagonal cut if a mill was involved.

Coincidentally most small lathes can use an end mill in this manner, with a small part fastened in the tool holder.

A step cut also facilitates line up.

Now the work to make the seam near invisible is something entirely different.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:12 pm

Im still putting my $$$ on the cross cut... Not that tough to do some simple math, set the engine block in the vise at a 45 degree angle and mill down to finished dimension
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next