Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

.049 starting? Cox_ba12

.049 starting? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Today at 12:18 pm

» audio-tach anyone?
by roddie Today at 11:14 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 10:22 am

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by fit90 Today at 7:34 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by getback Today at 6:19 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Yesterday at 2:54 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 pm

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

.049 starting? Empty
Live on Patrol

.049 starting?

Go down

Help! .049 starting?

Post  reptile Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:53 pm

Ok this may sound stupid but do you have to put a few drops of gas in the cylinder to start .049 motors?
I wanted to make a exhaust that will be sealed and only have one outlet with a hose making the oily mess directed out and away from everything.

so is there a way to start these without the priming of the cylinder?

Thanks
reptile
reptile
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Help! Re: .049 starting?

Post  kevbo Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:54 pm

It is possible to start with no prime using an electric starter, but very hard on the engine so don't do it. So yes, you need to prime the engine some way, some how.

How depends on which engine. On the rotary valved engines you can drip fuel into the intake, or turn the prop with your finger over the intake to suck fuel in (good idea to fill the fuel line this way anyhow). The sure starts have a choke tube so this also works on them. (or you can just drip some fuel down the tube if it is pointed upward) On the tanked engines the intake is not normally accessible. If, however, you could seal the intake to the firewall and run a tube through the firewall to an accessible location, you could do it. It would need to be around 1/4" ID or maybe a little more to avoid restricting the intake enough to hurt power.

Some of the cox cars had exhaust manifolds on them. There was usually a small hole to prime through. I think some of the factory mufflers had shutters you could open for priming or a little power boost if you were flying where the neighbors wouldn't complain. I've even seen that on some larger engines. (Some Enyas for example)

One way to prime is to hold your finger over the second vent on the tank and apply a little pressure with your fueling bulb or syringe. This will pressurize the tank and force fuel into the engine intake. This works on nearly anything, but it is easy to overdo it and end up with a hard-to-start flooded engine. Bladder tanks are normally done this way by default.

On Edit: To duct the exhaust, you need to use a non-SPI cylinder. Your exhaust manifold will prevent the SPI from drawing in fresh air at TDC.

kevbo
kevbo
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:18 pm

First set the needle to the proper preset...this varies between engines but a stock Cox .049 is 2 1/2 to 4 1/2 turns out depending on fuel, engine set up, etc.

If you are using a reedy without a choke tube and use a spring starter. 5-10 flips will prime the cylinder for starting. Hook up your glow igniter and go for it.

If you have a front rotor engine or a reedy with a choke tube put your finger over and deliberately pull the prop through 3-4 times. There may be fuel standing on the rotor, but there might not. Next hook up your glow igniter and pull the prop through deliberately (DON'T LET GO) until you feel the engine pop. With an .049 you will have no problem hanging on to the prop through ignition (with a .40 you can do this too) but if you let go while pulling it might bite. Now we have established case and cylinder prime. (You can pull the prop through a couple more times and see if it pops every stroke, or every other stroke. Either state means the needle is in the ballpark and should start). Now pull it through the non-popping stroke, and set up, then flip it to start.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:29 pm

Phil is spot on and not really much to add to his post.

I will say that once you do it enough it's almost second nature and you won't even think about starting sequence.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  reptile Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:54 pm

Thanks guy's but it's a cox car I am starting.
it has a muffler with the pipe going out under the car.
maybe I can flip the car over drip some fuel down the pipe and turn the motor over a few times and then put it back down on the ground and put the glow starter on and turn the motor over ...I think this will work..just though there may have been a way to start them without doing it this way.
reptile
reptile
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:29 pm

Does the fan protrude from the undercarriage?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  reptile Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:39 pm

Hi it has the snap starter this is it I plugged the top little muffler hole so it wont spray all over.

and also are going to make another one using this but drilling the hole out larger and using a silicone tube to make it exit out the bottom of the chassis.
http://coxengines.ca/cox-.049-muffler.html

.049 starting? IMG_3611_zpsde16429b
reptile
reptile
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:53 pm

I see you have a couple options.

Prime with a small syringe through that little hole in the muffler, or devise a way to turn that knob with a starter. Not the best way to go though.

If it had the plastic fan I was going to recommend using a bike tire (bike upside down crank pedal by hand) to spin the fan really fast.

Edit: I see you plan on plugging that hole. That may affect your engine run. Perhaps you could come up with a plug to cap the hole and have it removable for priming.

Just so you know even if you plug the hole castor will still work it's way out of that style of muffler.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  coxaddicted Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:51 am

I think the easiest way would be priming through the carburator. I think you using the sure start snorkel with Bearnies conversion, just drop in some fuel and it should work.

Another possibility is a tank with a pump filler cap (like they using in the bigger rc cars), but in your case space is very limited. Maybe you can build your own fuel tank with a pump filler cap.

I also thought about sealing my engine and exhaust, but it is nearly impossible. I made good experiences with a gasket material which is sadly not available in US.

But if you find a way, please let me know. Can't wait for a video, which scale is this car 1/18?

Good work so far.

coxaddicted
coxaddicted
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:07 am

My experience with the muffler that you depict on that car currently was very poor. I also modified it by trying to open the stack as much as possible. In two runs, I realized this was a futile attempt. Although my engine was not in a car, it was a fully cowled speed plane. The fact of the matter was that not only did the power dramatically fall off to the point of useless, it immediately overheated on the ground not allowing for a needle setting. This is a problem with cowled in engines on speed anyhow, I just immediately quit in my attempt and dealt with the mess by fuel proofing the entire inside of the plane. The trade off was far greater than what I was trying to do with my engine. Anytime I see mufflers in use, rarely are they for the benefit of power. Yes, it will do it's job in terms of quieting the engine, but it always makes for a compromise. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:14 am

Duh, I didn't see the carb....yeah prime through that.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:07 am

Choke tube carb. No problem.

I don't think you will have enough space to make a tuned pipe exhaust.

Phil

pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  reptile Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:21 am

Thanks guy's

so a few drops down the carb should do the trick.
reptile
reptile
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coxaddicted Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:36 am

I gave you your first reputation Points! I think you are doing great work on this little car. For me it is allways nice to see, that other people share my facsination for cox powered Rc Cars. Looking forward to see a Video Clapping
coxaddicted
coxaddicted
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  reptile Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:05 am

coxaddicted wrote:I gave you your first reputation Points! I think you are doing great work on this little car. For me it is allways nice to see, that other people share my facsination for cox powered Rc Cars. Looking forward to see a Video Clapping

thanks
I guess even with this muffler if it stops half the mess from the oil it will be better than having no muffler at all.

did you ever try the one I linked above ? maybe it seals better than the one I am using I was thinking drilling the hole out larger and using a large silicone tube and putting it in the hole so you can exit the exhaust out the bottom.
reptile
reptile
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:49 am

cribbs74 wrote:Phil is spot on and not really much to add to his post.

I will say that once you do it enough it's almost second nature and you won't even think about starting sequence.

Ron

Before you install the muffler you may want to see if your engine has sub-piston induction design (the bottom skirt of the piston opening a gap in the exhaust port when the piston is driven to the top dead center) as these SPI engines, if equipped with a muffler, will suck in the exhaust gases through the sub-piston gap and run erroneously with a muffler, let alone the sharp reduction in rpm.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:50 am

Have you seen the Cox .049 exhaust collector (not deflector) available (refurbished) at EX Model Engines?

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  reptile Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:30 am

SuperDave wrote:Have you seen the Cox .049 exhaust collector (not deflector) available (refurbished) at EX Model Engines?

SD

hi got a link?
thanks
reptile
reptile
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  reptile Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:32 am

balogh wrote:
cribbs74 wrote:Phil is spot on and not really much to add to his post.

Ron

Before you install the muffler you may want to see if your engine has sub-piston induction design (the bottom skirt of the piston opening a gap in the exhaust port when the piston is driven to the top dead center) as these SPI engines, if equipped with a muffler, will suck in the exhaust gases through the sub-piston gap and run erroneously with a muffler, let alone the sharp reduction in rpm.

Hi the motor I am using came with this pipe they guy said it ran fine he had it from a guy who custom did cox motors... it looked all clean and all like it was hardly used.
reptile
reptile
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  reptile Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:25 pm

here is the test run!
reptile
reptile
Gold Member
Gold Member