Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox .010 appreciation thread Cox_ba12

Cox .010 appreciation thread Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» M1Fan...who are you?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:07 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 9:52 pm

» Roddie's water-cooled bench-run vid
by roddie Yesterday at 8:55 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:19 pm

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 6:42 pm

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:14 pm

» B-25 Mitchell
by roddie Yesterday at 3:09 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 2:24 pm

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Yesterday at 2:23 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:54 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 6:52 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox .010 appreciation thread Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox .010 appreciation thread

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Cox .010 appreciation thread Empty Cox .010 appreciation thread

Post  nitroairplane Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:26 pm

Hi I just thought that I would devote a thread to my favourite cox engine, the little .010 and I thought we could have a place to post picture of these engines , planes they power , engine mods or just interestings stories or details involving these engines.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Cox .010 appreciation thread Empty Re: Cox .010 appreciation thread

Post  Cz10 Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:37 am

I will, just as soon as I figure out what airframe I am going to put the NIB one on that I recently picked up... I had one in the 60's and built a couple of CL shrunken slab wings with moderate success. I am thinking either a Lightning Bug or Wee Stick from here using the DSM micro brick. Back in the day I tried a Page Boy with rudder only but it was waaaaay too heavy.
Cz10
Cz10
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Cox .010 appreciation thread Empty .010 thread

Post  SuperDave Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:58 am

Nitro:

I have a NIB .010 Tee Dee .010 and a "raw stock" .020 Pee Wee on order and coming in from Select Hobbies of Santa Cruz, CA and I am very excited by the prospect. I've tired greatly of modern R/C "foamies" that are now so popular. "Building with balsa' once again seems so much more pleasureable and is in keeping with my modeling "roots" from long ago.

I'll be following your thread and will subbit pics of my tiny "builds" for these engines. Right now I'm thinkingg of a tiny Cessna "Champ" three channel.

SuperDave

SuperDave
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:17 am

thank you for your posts guys but Cz10 using the parkzone brick is not very good i did use it once and after about 7 flights it broke due to the vibration caused by the .010.

Last edited by nitroairplane on Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Cox .010 appreciation thread Empty Tiny "builds" for .010's

Post  SuperDave Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:36 am

Nitro:

OK, how about the Guillow's WWI series "warbirds"? I built them many years ago for .049's but the engines were too powerful for the airframes. .049's were better suited to the WWII planes like the P-51 Mustang.

One of the distressing things that I'm finding is that colored fuel-proof "dope" is no longer available. Aero-Gloss now makes only "clear" dope and sanding sealer. To the best of my knowledge coverings like Mono-Coat have replaced the use of "dope" and that is a SAD day when that happens. I understand that the old Aero-Gloss factory was destroyed by fire and that there are no plans to rebuild.

Colored silk span however IS available from sources like Esaki but I would consider using it only as last resort as I'll like my models to appear as "scale" as possible.

SuperDave
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:16 pm

SuperDave wrote:Nitro:

OK, how about the Guillow's WWI series "warbirds"? I built them many years ago for .049's but the engines were too powerful for the airframes. .049's were better suited to the WWII planes like the P-51 Mustang.

One of the distressing things that I'm finding is that colored fuel-proof "dope" is no longer available. Aero-Gloss now makes only "clear" dope and sanding sealer. To the best of my knowledge coverings like Mono-Coat have replaced the use of "dope" and that is a SAD day when that happens. I understand that the old Aero-Gloss factory was destroyed by fire and that there are no plans to rebuild.

Colored silk span however IS available from sources like Esaki but I would consider using it only as last resort as I'll like my models to appear as "scale" as possible.

SuperDave
Guillows ww1 models may work but will likely be slow the ww2 planes are good I recently built a grumman avenger for the .010 as a ff model it was too powerful and nearly had a flyaway so it would fly well as an rc model.
Coloured jap tissue is available and is great. So no need for coloured dope.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Cox .010 appreciation thread Empty Slow WWI planes

Post  SuperDave Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:47 pm

Yes they were "slow" especially having two wings but it is fascinating to watch one actually fly full-scale ergo a model of one should do no less. But speed in aviation is relative to the era flown.

There are operational planes today that make the famed SR-71 "Blackbird"seem "slow".

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:01 pm

yes and they may be lovely to fly if kept light, if you are going to build one be sure to use really light servos 7 gram max if you are going 3 channel i presume rudder,elevator and ailerons as the .010 has no throttle unless you plan to make one or purchase a PET.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:57 pm

SuperDave wrote:Nitro:
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. Many modelers abandoned Aerogloss many years ago because it was not compatible with other dopes. I think the most popular color butyrate (fuel proof) dopes today are made by SIG and Brodak. I think Randolph still makes colors.
Although monocote is generally considered too heavy for small models, there are iron-ons that are light...some even lighter than doped silkspan. I do not use iron-ons, so I can't address them in depth.

Colored silk span however IS available from sources like Esaki but I would consider using it only as last resort as I'll like my models to appear as "scale" as possible. SuperDave

I knew Esaki sold silk, but I was not aware that they also handled colored silkspan. Do they have different weights (00, SM, SMG)? Thanks for the heads-up.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:11 pm

In my discussion above, I completely forgot to comment on TD .010's, sorry.

I have three .010's, one is the older red plastic and gold crankcase type, bought used. It has the tank-type back installed, but has the optional tankless back also. The seller included an extra cylinder and glow plug. The others are the black plastic ones. I ran one and kept the other as NIB.

I have some pics but can't post them.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:32 am

Hey Guys,

My two .010 models are a two-channel Ken Willard "Pool Boy" (think plans can still be found)...based on an Eastman Biplane Flying Boat, and a rudder-only "sorta-scratch-built" free flight design by Cal Smith called a "Blunderbus" which was based on an English light aircraft.

Both are wonderfully slow "Evening Cruisers" with fairly large external tanks that allowed the transmitter to be passed around quite a bit. They'd wait patiently in my van 'till the sun was low, then cruise the field with swallows and bats in curious pursuit ! As such, the two planes have A LOT of flying time logged !!!!

I only had one .010 at the time, but in a matter of seconds, could swap the little engine between the two. Just recently got another one from Ebay, and it seems to be in good health.

I still have both planes, and with this new forum cranking me up, will probably have to pull them out of retirement! I'll try to post some photos on my album...would post them here, but can't seem to make it happen.

In my area, there are very few glow-pilots who love the tiny stuff, and even fewer who can appreciate the techniques in successfully flying a tiny single-channel plane...so you guys will have to be my vent !

Later !!! Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:36 am

I would love to see them
When you get the chance I understand Rudder only flight one must use the rudder as: ailerons,elevator and rudder at the same time.
It is great and more like rc assist that some ff fliers do than actual rc.
But still great fun.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:09 pm

Hey!

I just posted some photos in my album. Blunderbus was easily accessible, but had to do some digging to get the Pool Boy out into the daylight. It's gonna need some work to return to it's former glory !

Single channel planes are almost as varied in design as regular types: some are floaters...meant to just cruise around...and others are stressed for a little more exciting stuff like loops and rolls.

All are trimmed for a gradual climb under power (just like a free flight), and I purposely trimmed my early one for a gentle turn so it wouldn't leave me quite as fast if my radio decided to roll over !

You can control your altitude simply by turning the plane...which causes the nose to drop also...then bringing it level. When the plane begins it's upward zoom from the speed it gained, you turn it again...just hard enough bring the nose down to level and then level the wings again.

A loop is accomplished (with the proper airplane) by hard rolling the plane to near vertical, countering the turn to stop it's spiral, then sitting back and watching the plane loop from it's excess speed. At the bottom of the loop, a hard turn command will counter the upward zoom, and you are again at straight and level.

You can even "flare" the plane for a landing by timing a gentle turn command and recovery to put the plane over the runway at the same time it's nose rises from the turn's recovery.

It takes practice...but it's EXTREMELY cool to be accused of having a "hidden elevator" on your little plane because, "There ain't no way that plane can do that stuff without an elevator!"

You can actually practice all of this with a 4-channel high wing trainer...set up properly!

Sorry...didn't mean to write a book...just REALLY enjoy this stuff !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:16 pm

When I see people flying thesearge 3d extras and what not sometime I just wand to pul out n e of my old 1 channeled tiny sticks and teach'm a lesson in aerobatics.
I recently converted a really old and extremely battered e powered piper cub foamy into
A rudder only model using a tee dee .020 but with modern dsm2 technology so it is more safe.
I now flies better than ever.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:44 pm

Just posted a photo from the S.M.A.L.L. Fly-In a decade or so ago, showing the Hughes Hercules a fellow brought...with EIGHT T.D. 010's !!!!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:58 pm

Kim wrote:Just posted a photo from the S.M.A.L.L. Fly-In a decade or so ago, showing the Hughes Hercules a fellow brought...with EIGHT T.D. 010's !!!!!!!!!
Wow that is barely a S.M.A.L.L what is te span on it?
It appears to have no ailerons that must have been unstable and really fun to fly.
Imagine the maiden and the intense hand launch that it started with.
Unless it has landing gear and throttles.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:37 pm

It actually appeared to fly quite easily..like a fat sailplane. He had a guy hand-launch it with a bit of a shove, then gracefully flew it around and back past us in several passes. After a while, he climbed it up to a good altitude and the engines began to die off. As he glided it back down, all but one of the engines had run out off fuel, and I guess it's tiny, individual power against that big rudder was not enough to cause problems. He just slid it into the grass next to the runway.

I wondered, but missed asking if he'd ever flown it off water...ANOTHER grand sight!

The STARTING was as impressive as anything. He fueled, started, adjusted, and pinched off the fuel to all 8 engines one-by-one, before going back down the line, starting them all and launching.

I've got a video of the whole deal that I'll try to convert and post here. The sound was something else! Thought I was in a cheap 1970's horror movie about killer bees ! EVERYTHING else on the field came to a stop when he cranked up the Spruce Goose ! I don't remember the span...will guess at it when I watch the video again.

I think the S.M.A.L.L. rules apply to engine size...you could probably fly a 30 foot span model if you had a few dozen .010's bolted to it...AND would probably signing autographs !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:58 pm

Imagine if someone brought a full scale lancaster with several thousand .010s on it and got inside and started flying it around.
Would they allow that?
It would be the first .010 people carrying plane.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:04 pm

While I can't speak officially for the S.M.A.L.L. Organization, I'd imagine that they might take a slab of Arkansas Limestone and carve a sculpture/monument of your likeness...complete with fog machine and lazer light show !

Although...the fumes from all that aerated castor would probably cause a crisis situation at the porta-potties !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:13 pm

nitroairplane wrote:Imagine if someone brought a full scale lancaster with several thousand .010s on it and got inside and started flying it around.
Would they allow that?
It would be the first .010 people carrying plane.

That's a rather fun idea. Is the amount of lifting power as the number of engines is added a linear equation? I'm thinking not. I wonder how many pounds of .010s you'd have to add up to fly a jockey around... calculating...Computer Issues lol!

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:17 pm

It is definatly quadratic but I wonder how many it would take to fly me around on a microlite.
Or I could mount a few on the handle bars of my bike Smile
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:22 pm

It actually occurred to me back in my Ultralight flying days, that it might be cool...just for the heck of it...to see if I could bolt on enough model engines to lift me and my machine into the air. Backed away from it though...I was already catching enough crap just for piloting a "Flying Lawn Chair" !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:27 pm

Look at the crap that Leonardo daVinci caught with his inventions in flight. (BTW, Leonardo lived in the 14th century) But look at what those inventions became in time.

SuperDave
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:38 pm

SuperDave wrote:Look at the crap that Leonardo daVinci caught with his inventions in flight. (BTW, Leonardo lived in the 14th century) But look at what those inventions became in time.

SuperDave

yep its true.
How much does the average microlite weigh?
i think it would be very cool but for the price of the model engines you could get a whole new microlite.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:57 pm

Don't really have a clue...my Easy Riser (converted hang glider) probably came in at around eighty pounds or so fueled and ready to rock...I never weighed it though.

In my case, the BIG deal would have been the drag from all those wires and a deeply undercambered airfoil. Kinda like flying with your brakes on !

Yeah Super Dave, anybody that steps out from the crowd runs the risk of being attacked by those who prefer that everyone to stay in line...still beats living the drone's life!

Luckily, Crazy Passion sets in and it suddenly doesn't matter what anybody says! Not unlike Richard Dryfus, sculpting mashed potatoes in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"...it's in your programming and you just GOT to do it !!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down