Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Sunday Flying, 8/25/13 Cox_ba12

Sunday Flying, 8/25/13 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by Levent Suberk Today at 9:10 am

» B-25 Mitchell
by getback Today at 8:02 am

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Today at 7:32 am

» M1Fan...who are you?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 11:07 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:52 pm

» Roddie's water-cooled bench-run vid
by roddie Yesterday at 9:55 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 8:19 pm

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 3:24 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 11:54 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:52 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Sunday Flying, 8/25/13 Empty
Live on Patrol

Sunday Flying, 8/25/13

Go down

Sunday Flying, 8/25/13 Empty Sunday Flying, 8/25/13

Post  RknRusty Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:15 pm

After sawing up a fallen tree and mowing the lawn, I took a trip out to the club today. According to the NWS, the wind was 9-15 with 20mph gusts, so I wasn't sure I could fly. But once I got there, it was fairly steady from the same direction. Marcus was flying his heli, so I decided I could give it a go. I got in a couple of flights on the Baby Flite Streak, BFS-I and logged some Cox contest time. My first flight was crazy. I was doing loops and they suddenly got way wider than usual and the plane started hunting like the CG was wrong. Then I noticed the fuel bladder flopping around, the only thing holding it on being a loose zip tie right behind the engine that I had put there so the line would stay still in the prop-wash. I had a full ounce in it when I launched, which should run for around 4 minutes or more. I can't believe it didn't get into the prop, but on the upwind side after half a tank, it cut off. Of course the nose was pointed down and the lines were slack and it just fell out of the air.

So, what the heck, other than having an audience witness it, no damage. I cleared the field to let the RC guys fly for a while.  A while later I went back over to preflight it for the next round and there was no venturi on the engine. Ahh crap! the swinging bladder must have unscrewed it. The KK NVA was still plugged into the line, and the carb body wasn't cracked. And needless to say, I didn't have another venturi in the box. So between RC flights, one of the guys walked my lines back out to my spot marker and I walked the circle with the plane scanning the ground. And there it was, gleaming out of the freshly mowed grass. That was a lucky find. I screwed it back on and checked everything out, and fixed the bladder holder with a zip tie and a rubber band. So, next time the field was clear and I launched my next flight which went much better, so I was redeemed in front of my audience. Still so breezy I didn't do anything too wild, but at least I got a plane in the air, first time since August 8th or thereabouts.

And I tried the video cam on my new phone. It's a great camera,. Here is one of our guys flying his 3D heli. I like to watch his gassers, this one is a lekkie, and still amazing. The video can't begin to convey the sound of the blades murdering the air. The wind doesn't bother this dude.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FJ8q5d2Izk&feature=youtu.be

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Sunday Flying, 8/25/13 Empty Re: Sunday Flying, 8/25/13

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:23 pm

cheers 

Glad you had a good day Rusty. I rarely if never find anything I have lost.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:25 pm

Me either !! Great report Rusty...glad for the find !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:40 pm

It sure is nice that Jim, the club president, decided he wanted the CL pilot(s) to fly up on the main runway instead of being isolated on our half-assed sloping CL circle. His words were, "Hell, we wait on the helicopters and the guys that want to prop hang over the runway, we can do the same thing for the CL guys, they only take 8 or 10 minutes anyway."

On busy RC days or when I'm testing equipment, I'll probably go the the circle but it's a lot more fun to be up there to yak with all the guys between flights. I didn't take the Shoestring today, that would have been more like work than relaxing simple 1/2A flying. But Wayne and I are planning to go out there Tuesday morning, and maybe Thursday too. I've been flying the pattern really well in my head... 'course there's no wind in there and the ground disappears when I get in trouble. And the lines don't ever go slack.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down