Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The more I watch the daily news....... Cox_ba12

The more I watch the daily news....... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by DanMc Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 4:31 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by balogh Yesterday at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:58 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:46 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 3:07 pm

» Removing old decals
by latole Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:29 pm

» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 11:52 am

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by getback Yesterday at 6:46 am

» COX Postage Stamp engine -Babe Bee & Horseshoe Backplate adapters
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 6:33 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The more I watch the daily news....... Empty
Live on Patrol

The more I watch the daily news.......

Go down

The more I watch the daily news....... Empty The more I watch the daily news.......

Post  SuperDave Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:24 pm

the more I appreciate this forum! Clapping 

CHEERS! Clapping  Beer Cheers 

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

The more I watch the daily news....... Empty Re: The more I watch the daily news.......

Post  roddie Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:28 pm

You got that right my friend!!!!!!Thumbs Up 
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

The more I watch the daily news....... Empty Re: The more I watch the daily news.......

Post  SuperDave Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:11 pm

Roddie::

Don't you think it's time for a "group hug" then?   Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 

We could finish with a chorus of "Kumbaya" around a campfire.   sunny 

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:40 pm

SuperDave wrote:Roddie::

Don't you think it's time for a "group hug" then?   Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 

We could finish with a chorus of "Kumbaya" around a campfire.   sunny 

SD
I'll take the "high" part... 2 more people; and we'd have a "Barbershop Quartet"!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:50 pm

I think it's time to fuel up a engine and fire it up, or open up a box of engines and look at collection or start a building project, anyone of which is guaranteed to make you forget at least temporally the issues of the day.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

The more I watch the daily news....... Empty The more I get "media" shoved down my throat.......

Post  roddie Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:54 pm

A guy on the radio says; "I can by an LED 60w. tungsten-replacement bulb for $12.97....

#1... that's too close to 13

#2... I personally "enjoy" replacing burnt-out tungsten lamps....

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:52 pm

roddie wrote:A guy on the radio says; "I can by an LED 60w. tungsten-replacement bulb for $12.97....

I have some canister lamps that I need to get the BIG extension ladder out to get at in my great room. I had to replace one of these lamps 4 times in the first year I lived in this house. I swapped the two lamps out for LED at a cost of nearly $30 each and have not needed to bring my extension ladder into the house in over 4 years.

They have a place.

As a side benefit the replacements are something like 11 watt instead of 65 watt. In theory they have paid for themselves about last year in electric savings.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:27 pm

pkrankow wrote:
roddie wrote:A guy on the radio says; "I can by an LED 60w. tungsten-replacement bulb for $12.97....

I have some canister lamps that I need to get the BIG extension ladder out to get at in my great room.  I had to replace one of these lamps 4 times in the first year I lived in this house.  I swapped the two lamps out for LED at a cost of nearly $30 each and have not needed to bring my extension ladder into the house in over 4 years.

They have a place.

As a side benefit the replacements are something like 11 watt instead of 65 watt.  In theory they have paid for themselves about last year in electric savings.

Phil
Yes Phil, We agree on that kind of application... and I take it; you would have ample space in this room, for a Clark W. Griswold size Christmas tree... You should host a CEF Holiday party this season!!!!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:03 pm

I put a 6 ft tree on a short cafeteria table. Works good.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:08 pm

I'm a bulb hoarder. I stocked up on 100watt, 75watt, 60watt and 40watt incandescent bulbs. Probably have about 200 of each (which I still don't think is enough). I still want to go out and buy a bunch of 60 and 40 watt bulbs before the end of the year. I also need to buy a bunch of clear 60watt bulbs as those are going away too (even though there is no good replacement for those except for halogens that will also be going away in a few years). Every time I change a bulb, I write the date near the base with a permanent marker and so far the new/end of production 100watts have been only lasting about a month when they used to last 4 to 5 months each. I just dug into the back of my stash and pulled out a pack from the 90s that I got at a old hardware store, so far one of those bulbs is still going even after 8 or so months. They sure are not making them like they used to. As for the CFLs, they are using too cheap of electronics in the ballast. When they fail, its usually the ballast. I already had one catch on fire (with flames) in the table lamp in the family room, good thing I was sitting there when it happened. CFL and LED lamps work great in some applications but not in others. You'll want to keep CFLs out of recessed can lights unless the can lights are rated for high heat and have extra cooling vents. Same goes with encased globe lights and ceiling fan lights. CFLs get hot at the base while incandescents get hot at the bulb. The heat at the base of the CFL causes sockets and wiring behind the sockets to scorch and also shortens the life of the lamp as the electronics in the base overheat. You will also want to keep them off circuits with dimmer switches unless you buy dimmable CFLs (which usually dim poorly), using an average CFL on a circuit with a dimer switch will shorten the life of both the lamp and switch. A CFL is good for installing in open indoor fixtures and lamps what will be turned on and left on for more than several hours. Its not worth it to install a CFL in a closet or storage room as they take time to come to full brightness and the quick on/off cycles shorten the life of both the tube and ballast. About a year or so ago, I bought one of those 12.5watt Philips LED (60watt equ.) lamps for about $45 (way too much for a single lamp). It works alright but I have a few issues with it. One of which is that it gets hot enough that I would keep it out of enclosed fixtures. The light output from the top is poor, it would be fine for a table lamp as the light is directed more down than out the top. Mine is dimmable but it only goes down to about 20% and then goes out. Every CFL and LED lamp I have seen is ugly as hell, even the ones that they tried to make look like an incandescent bulb. If you like incandescent bulbs or have paces that a CFL or LED lamp can't replace, stock up now as its already over for the 100 and 75w and will be over for the 60 and 40w at the end of this year. All general purpose incandescent bulbs (ones over 100w and ones lower than 40w and halogen) will be gone by the end of 2020. All lamps will have to meet a minimum efficacy standard of 45 lumens per watt by 2020. So far, no incandescent bulb can meet that standard.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm

it seems as i get older i need more light to see, so i kinda like (ok, i do like) incandescent bulbs, so i bought a bunch of cheep 90 watt bulbs at Menards last spring, total junk! I think the bulb manufactures see a uptick in sales and have produce a bunch of really cheep bulbs.
I guess i've kinda given up the fight. The radiation from Fukushima will probably get us before the mercury from the fluorescent bulbs will.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:57 am

CFLs have made it easier to use my droplight. One bump under the hood of my car and the incandescent would pop. I can beat it around all day with a CFL and it stays lit.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:28 am

I agree with the poor dimming of CFL and LED lamps. That is the biggest drawback of these that I have. Even the supposed "3-way" CFL that has 2 independent tubes wrapped in it does not have a practical change in intensity between the different position.

As an "early adopter" I put some first gen CFL's in a kitchen ceiling fixture at a place I was renting. They were fairly horrible with how soft of a start, but it turned out to be kinda nice when bleary eyed in the morning. Those lamps took every bit of 15 minutes to warm up and give full light. The new "instant on" lamps are much better, but flicker more.

I like the LED's better, but when you have a number of them on the same circuit they do not turn on together. Instead it takes some time where one lights, then another, and so forth. Sometimes the delay is in minutes and not just seconds.

I have a small stash of incandescent lights in the designer shapes for the old fixtures in this house. When the stash runs out I need to replace the fixtures. The previous owner left most of this stash and some bulbs are from the 80's. I look forward to new fixtures. Some of these are horrid looking things straight out of a 60's and maritime mash-up in crooked sheet brass.

I rather don't like CFL because fluorescent lighting has given me headaches since I started wearing glasses in grade school.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:34 am

I saw this in the news the other day

The more I watch the daily news....... 11763210
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:54 am

Seems my orginal thread has been severely HIJACKED, not once but several times.

What's up with that?

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:28 pm

Possibly Dave,

Your original post was a statement and wasn't asking a question so it kind of opened up the window.

Are you asking if others find this forum a welcome break from current worldly events?

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:49 pm

Got the makin's of AWESOME here! The topic seems to be staying off topic.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:53 pm

I figured that Dave's point was; that he was tired of all the cynical media crap/hype they feed us, and that the forum is like an oasis... or like taking a "breather" from it. That's what it is for me... even if I'm not "physically" involved in model activities.. I can still be mentally involved, just by logging in.

As far as the light bulb segue... it was meant to have a cynical note to it... like; eventually... we'll be "forced" to spend a lot more for something... because of some bureaucratic government decision that basically benefits big corporations that fund political campaigns.

Whatever... it was my way of saying; "yea Dave... I'm sick of change that I don't want or agree with too..." It's easy for a topic like this to get off course.

Sorry if I was the cause of that.

Roger
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:12 pm

Roddie/Ron:

Yes my point was precisely that! cheers 

We live in terribly turbulent times and CECF represents the excact opposite because it's congenial and helpful.

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down